Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Sep 17 11:24:24 CDT 2014

Sept. 17

CHINA:

Former Housing Deputy Receives Death Penalty for Bribery Charges in China's
Zhejiang Province

A former senior official of China's Hangzhou Housing Bureau has been sentenced
to death on Tuesday after a court found him guilty of bribery and abuse of
power.

Zhang Xin, former deputy chief of the housing authority, was given a death
sentence with a two-year reprieve on Tuesday by the Hangzhou Intermediate
People's Court in the province of Zhejiang.

A death sentence with reprieve gives the convicted individual time to make
amends and show that he has changed his ways.

If the convict intentionally commits another crime during the period of the
given reprieve, he will be executed. Otherwise, his sentence will then be
reduced to lifetime imprisonment.

Zhang was accused of taking bribes with a total of 124 million yuan or US$20
million-worth of vehicles, apartments and cash to aid some people in
construction projects that involved the agency.

The former housing deputy has also been causing 89 million yuan-worth of public
asset loses and has been caught embezzling about 10.5 million yuan while
conspiring with another suspected economic criminal, Dong Yilin.

According to the Xinhua news report, Zhang's personal assets and properties
will be confiscated while Dong was given a sentence of 10 years' incarceration.
2 million-worth of assets has also been confiscated from the latter.

On the same day of the housing deputy's sentencing, Zhang Xiaodong, former
secretary for the Communist Party of China in Henan Province's Anyang City
stood trial for corruption allegations.

The former party secretary allegedly received bribes amounting to over 21
million yuan or US$3.4 million for his assistance to some in the construction
industry to be able to win construction projects and post delegations which are
supposedly opened for bidding.

He was also accused of being involved in 36 other corruption cases tried in the
Zhumadian City Intermediate People's Court.

During the trial, he had expressed his regret for committing such crime and had
vowed to change his ways.

No verdict has been announced as of Xinhua's report on Wednesday.

(source: Chinatopix.com)

*****************

Top procuratorate wants pushback on death penalty cases

China's local prosecutors were encouraged by the country's top procuratorate on
Monday to appeal court verdicts when they did not deliver a death sentence to
criminals who committed capital crimes.

The Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) publicized a fifth set of guidelines
clarifying appealing standards for local procuratorates on Monday.

The guidelines are aimed at curbing local prosecutors' tendency to pay more
attention to public prosecution than to appealing improper court verdicts, a
tendency that manifests itself in local prosecutors only appealing light
sentences, the Legal Daily reported Tuesday.

In one of the three cases cited in the guidelines, the suspect was sentenced to
death after the local prosecutors appealed a death sentence with reprieve
imposed in the first trial, arguing that the suspect was a repeat criminal
offender.

As debate on capital punishment heated up across China, in 2007 the Supreme
People's Court claimed the right to review all death penalties handed down by
lower courts. This move indicates that China is not currently considering an
abolition of the death penalty, Hong Daode, a criminal procedure law professor
at the China University of Political Science and Law, told the Global Times.

The encouragement by the top procuratorate was partly due to local courts'
insufficient understanding of prudent judgment and standards for the death
penalty, Hong said.

A criminal can only receive harsher sentences if prosecutors appealed a verdict
in the belief that it was lighter than the law demanded, Hong said.

"There is a principle that courts shall not give heavier punishment if it is
the accused that filed an appeal," Hong said.

But the move also reflects serious conflicts between local procuratorates and
courts, since courts have increasingly handed down sentences that do not
correspond with charges filed by prosecutors, Mo Shaoping, an experienced
criminal defense lawyer, told the Global Times.

Mo said he disapproved of the new guidelines, as procuratorates that have
already held a strong position during trial should not have their role
strengthened further.

Courts support prosecutors' accusations in a majority of cases, although recent
years have seen a slight increase in the number of cases in which courts
dismissed charges, Mo said.

However, Mo admitted that some local procuratorates had no choice but to
appeal, since local courts may in some cases be forced by some outside power to
make an unfair judgment.

(source: People's Daily)

***********************

Lawyers hope Chinese university professor will be spared death penalty ----
China to make an example of Uighur university professor who dared to be a lone
voice of criticism over its policies in the troubled region of Xinjiang

The only public figure inside China who dared to question Beijing's policy in
the vast and troubled region of Xinjiang will hopefully escape the death
penalty at his trial on Wednesday.

Ilham Tohti, a 44-year-old economics professor and ethnic Uighur, has spent
nine months in detention, being placed in a cell with convicted Han Chinese
rapists, drug dealers and thieves who are waiting for their appeal hearings.

After he allegedly "quarrelled" with his cellmates, the authorities placed him
in leg shackles in August which have caused suppurating sores, his lawyer said.

On Wednesday, Prof Tohti will be put on trial for "separatism", accusing him of
stirring up unrest between Uighurs living in Xinjiang and Han Chinese through
his website, Uighurbiz, and his classes at a leading university in Beijing.

The case is being closely watched by British and foreign diplomats, and the
United States has already called for his release.

His wife, Guzailai Nu'er, has travelled to Urumqi for the trial but said she
has not told the couple's sons about their father's perilous situation.

"My sons asked me: 'Why you are leaving, Mum? When are you coming back? Is dad
coming home soon?' I can only lie to them that I will come back and he will
too. My first son was sick for three months after his father was taken away. I
simply cannot tell them anything. But he is now in second grade in primary
school and has sensed something when I talked about it on the phone. He heard
his father was sick and cried," she said.

"I am especially worried about my husband's health," she added "I cannot eat. I
cannot sleep at night."

There are fears that the Communist party is seeking to make an example of Prof
Tohti after a spike in violence in Xinjiang since 2012.

After the European Union expressed its concern over Mr Tohti's detention
earlier this year, Chinese officials wrote a letter suggesting that he had
played a role in a terrorist attack in Selibuya town, near Kashgar, on April 23
2013, in which 21 people died.

They also linked him to an attack in Lukqun town, Shanshan county, in which 2
policemen and 22 civilians died.

In January, the public security bureau in Urumqi tweeted that Prof Tohti had
called the participants in the 2 attacks "heroes" and had "incited students to
hate the country and the government and to topple the government".

1 observer speculated that after a dramatic escalation in violence between
2012, when 12 people were killed in attacks in Xinjiang, and 2013, when 126
people died, the authorities began making a case against Prof Tohti, who is the
most famous advocate of Uighur rights.

"Last summer when they went home to Xinjiang there were people following them,
which did not usually happen," said the source. "And they apparently have five
to six hours of videotape of his classes, which suggests they have been filming
him for a while."

If the 2 attacks form part of the charges in court, Mr Tohti could face a death
penalty.

However, his lawyers said there was no mention of a possible death penalty in
his indictment and that the maximum sentence should be life imprisonment.

"I cannot see any possibility of the death sentence based on the charges we
have seen so far," said Li Fangping, one of his lawyers. "I have not seen any
specific charges linking him to a terrorist attack, except for one saying that
some young people had read materials on his website and returned to Xinjiang in
2009 and taken part in riots".

Maya Wang, a researcher at Human Rights Watch in Hong Kong, said it would be
"hard to stick a charge like terrorism on him". She said: "Even calling him a
separatist is a problem. He is known for his very measured, moderate criticism
of government policy in Xinjiang, pointing out, for example, that the policy of
Han Chinese migration needs to be re-evaluated in light of the unemployment in
Xinjiang," she said.

1 former student of Prof Tohti wrote in an essay that she was "shocked and sad"
at his arrest.

"He always expressed sincere but not radical opinions about ethnic minority
policies and the development of Xinjiang. He sponsored several Uighur students,
helping them to go to school and find jobs.

"He told us violence cannot solve any problems, including ethnic disputes and
we should be filial to our parents and not waste our time."

In a lengthy biographical essay written in January 2011and recently translated
by the China Change website, Mr Tohti pointed out that many of his family are
Communist party cadres and that he loved "this land which has nurtured me".

He pointed out that he had deliberately avoided being involved with foreign
organisations, aware that he could be painted as a traitor.

"Although some people today continue to describe me as a political figure, or
hope that I will become one, from the start I have maintained that I am only a
scholar, and harbour neither the intention nor the desire to be politicised,"
he wrote.

He added that his website, Uighurbiz, was a platform for exchanging ideas and
opinions about Xinjiang and was carefully managed "to prevent any
pro-independence, separatist, or irresponsible inflammatory postings, and it
does not post anything subversive.

"However, it does not forbid posts that expose social ills in Xinjiang or
elsewhere, so long as they show good intentions and the content is authentic."

7 of Mr Tohti's students were also detained by police in January and nothing
has been heard of them since. Among them is Mutellip Imin, who helped to run
the Uighurbiz website and was a student at Istanbul university.

Mutellip Imin

On his Twitter feedand blog, Mr Imin complained regularly about mistreatment by
the police and highlighted cases of Uighurs who had been "disappeared" by the
authorities.

Atikem Rozi

His girlfriend, 23-year-old Atikem Rozi, has also vanished into detention. She
publicly questioned why her three applications for a passport had been
rejected, earning herself a rebuke from the authorities and a summons for her
parents to the local police station.

(source: The Telegraph)

MALDIVES:

Maldives slams Human Rights Council critics after death penalty remarks

The Maldives has accused critics in the UN Human Rights Council of making
statements "rooted on misrepresentation and media speculation".

The response followed comments made by the Swiss delegation criticising the
Maldives for its decision to allow the death penalty for minors.

"Switzerland condemns the recent decision of the Maldives Government to amend
its legislation to permit the death penalty for children as young as 7 years
old - this is a grave contravention of international law," said the Swiss
during yesterday's session.

The Maldives has this year amended regulations regarding the death penalty as
well as introducing a new penal code. Combined, the rules allow for the
sentencing of a minor to death, though execution cannot be carried out until
the offender is 18-years-old.

Using its right of reply, the Maldives pointed out that its new penal code -
passed in April - granted the "immaturity excuse" to all those under the age of
15.

"The Maldives once again would like to state on record that this Council is
mandated to do serious work and it is appalling that statements made here are
rooted on misrepresentation and media speculation," said the Maldivian
delegation.

After announcing plans to end the 60 year moratorium on the death penalty in
January, new regulations were finalised in April, enabling the state to carry
out execution by lethal injection.

Legal sources have told Minivan News that, while the new penal code does
include the "immaturity excuse" - removing criminal responsibility from those
under 15, Article 15c still allows for minors to be held accountable for hadd
offences.

The Maldives legal system follows a combination of common law and Islamic
Sharia, with homicide considered a hadd offence warranting a sentence of death.

Informing the Human Rights Council of the new Penal Code, the Maldives
delegation called it "a hallmark piece of legislation that is intended to
modernise the criminal justice system of the Maldives and to bring it on a par
with international best standards."

yesterday's session, the Maldives noted that it "holds the world's longest
moratorium on the death penalty".

However, the government's decision to end the unofficial moratorium on the
practice has been met with global condemnation, with both the EU and the Office
of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights urging reconsideration of the
decision.

"We urge the Government to retain its moratorium on the use of the death
penalty in all circumstances, particularly in cases that involve juvenile
offenders and to work towards abolishing the practice altogether," said Ravina
Shamdasani, spokesperson for the OHCHR.

Meanwhile, Amnesty International has called such moves a "retrograde step and a
serious setback for human rights in the country".

Following a wave of attacks in the country last month, resulting in 3 deaths,
the Ministry of Home Affairs reiterated that it would not hesitate to implement
the death penalty.

(source: Minivan News)

BANGLADESH:

Kamaruzzaman appeal verdict any day

The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court will deliver its verdict any day on
an appeal filed by Jamaat-e-Islami Assistant Secretary General Mohammad
Kamaruzzaman. The 4-member Appellate Division bench passed the order on
Wednesday afternoon, keeping the case CAV meaning 'verdict would be delivered
later'.

On May 9 of last year, International Crimes Tribunal 2 awarded death penalty to
the Jamaat leader and also a former al-Badr leader on 2 out of the 7 charges
brought against him.

He was given the death penalty for genocide at Sohagpur and murder of Golam
Mostafa.

The tribunal said: "It would not be fair, if Kamaruzzaman was not penalised
with capital punishment."

On June 6, Kamaruzzaman's lawyers filed an appeal petition, challenging the
tribunal verdict.

(source: Dhaka Tribune)

*****************

Bangladesh court commutes top JI leader's death sentence

Bangladesh's highest court on Wednesday commuted the death sentence on a top
Jamaat-e-Islami leader, triggering clashes between police and secular
protesters who slammed the decision as too lenient.

In a surprise ruling, the Supreme Court said 74-year-old Delwar Hossain Sayedee
should spend "the rest of his natural life" in jail for crimes during the 1971
liberation war with Pakistan.

Sayedee's death penalty passed last year by a war-crimes tribunal triggered the
deadliest political violence in the country's history, and thousands of police
were deployed before Wednesday's ruling.

"We had expected that the court would uphold his death sentence," Attorney
General Mahbubey Alam told, adding he was unhappy with the verdict.

Alam said Sayedee was a notorious war criminal and "torturer of women" who had
forcibly converted Hindus to Islam during the nine-month war, which led to the
creation of Bangladesh from the former East Pakistan.

Although the ruling was likely to appease hardliner blamed for last year's
deadly clashes, violence erupted on Wednesday between police and hundreds of
angry protesters.

Police fired tear gas and a water cannon at demonstrators who had converged on
Dhaka University.

Armed with batons, police tried to disperse the protesters who shouted slogans
and hurled stones at officers. Popular preacher - Sayedee was vice-president of
Jamaat-e-Islami, the country's largest Islamist party, and a popular preacher
when he was found guilty in February last year. Many supporters claimed to have
seen his face on the moon in a mark of his "saintly" status.

His conviction on 8 charges of murder, rape and persecution of Hindus sparked
riots by tens of thousands of supporters nationwide, leaving more than 100
people dead. Sayedee's lawyer said he was dissatisfied with the latest ruling,
adding his client should have been acquitted on all charges. "The evidence
against him does not warrant conviction or sentencing even for a day," lawyer
Tajul Islam told.

Sayedee is among about a dozen Islamic leaders to have been convicted by the
much-criticised war crimes tribunal set up by the secular government to
investigate atrocities during the 1971 conflict.

(source: The News)

ISRAEL:

Calls for Death Penalty Against Repeat Terrorist Murderer----Arutz Sheva speaks
to family of superintendent Baruch Mizrahi, as trial starts on his murderer - a
terrorist freed in the Shalit deal.

The military court at Ofer on Wednesday morning opened proceedings against the
father and son terrorist duo that killed police Chief Superintendent Col.
Baruch Mizrahi hy''d in April, as he drove to Kiryat Arba for a Passover seder
meal with his pregnant wife and 3 of his children.

Mizrahi's murderer was Ziyad Awad, one of 1,027 terrorists freed in the 2011
Gilad Shalit deal. In carrying out the attack the terrorist from the town of
Idna, located to the west of Hevron, was aided by his 18-year-old Az a-Din who
gathered up evidence after the shooting.

Members of the Almagor terror victims organization arrived at the court in the
name of the bereaved family, and demanded the death penalty against the
terrorist.

Given the nature of the crime and the fact that Awad returned to terror,
Almagor argued he was deserving of the death penalty, and likewise called for
life imprisonment for Az a-Din.

In the attack Mizrahi's pregnant wife Hadas was wounded, and a child in another
car was also lightly wounded.

"I was unable to enter the discussion and so I stayed outside," said Hadas,
noting that she was unable to look at the "monsters" who murdered her husband
in cold blood. "I hope that the state of Israel will change its stance and rule
the death penalty against the murderer."

Talking about the experience of her family since the brutal murder, Hadas noted
"this is a huge difficulty that is impossible to describe. The children go to
kindergarten and school without their dad who so wanted to accompany them for
the first time. It's very hard for the family. We hope to rehabilitate, we will
get up and try to be a happy family, despite the enormous difficulty."

If Israel used the death penalty, Mizrahi "would be alive"

Security forces demolished the home of the 42-year-old Awad in July, after a
court overruled a petition against the move.

The judges noted that Az a-Din was involved "up to his neck" in carrying out
the attack, and that Awad's wife was also well aware of the weapons stored in
the home.

Police investigations revealed that Awad told his son Az a-Din that his motive
for murdering Mizrahi was religious, and that "according to the religion of
Islam, everyone who kills a Jews goes to paradise."

Awad was previously jailed for murdering Palestinian Arabs suspected of
cooperating with Israel, before being released in the Shalit deal.

Hadas noted that if the terrorist had been handed a death sentence her husband,
head of the Technology Division in the Sigint Unit, would still be alive today.

"Had they not had a bargaining chip, and had they not known that they can be
freed - Baruch would have been alive," said Mizrahi. "A death sentence is the
solution and we would like to hope that the state of Israel will give
terrorists death sentences, not a prison sentence that is a 5-star hotel and
not a university for training for the next terror attacks."

Reenacting the event, a tearful Hadas said "we were driving to the seder in our
car when (the terrorist) shot at us, he hit Baruch in the head, I managed to
hide our children." Hadas was able to regain control of the car and prevent it
from crashing despite being shot in the back.

(source: Israel National News)