Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:19:59 CST 2014

Nov. 19

IRAN:

UN resolution says Iran using death penalty at alarming frequency

The UN General Assembly human rights committee approved a resolution Tuesday
expressing deep concern about rights violations in Iran, including the
"alarmingly high frequency" of the use of the death penalty.

Support came from 78 member countries, with 35 voting no and 69 abstaining.
Several countries have objected to the targeting of a specific nation.

The Canada-drafted resolution was approved less than a week before a 24
November deadline for Iran and 6 world powers to reach a deal on its nuclear
program, but the word "nuclear" isn't mentioned in the text.

Instead, the resolution builds on a recent report by a UN special investigator
on human rights and points out that Iran has not allowed an investigator to
visit since 2005.

Iran's representative protested that the resolution doesn't acknowledge
"positive developments" since President Hassan Rouhani took office in 2013.

"At the time when many parts of our region are burning in the fires of
extremism," the resolution is counterproductive, the diplomat said.

The U.N. special investigator, Ahmed Shaheed, last month spoke out against
Iran's 2nd-highest rate of executions in the world. Iran has executed 8
juveniles over the past year, he said.

He bases his reports on conversations with dozens of people both inside and
outside the country, and it can be dangerous for some who speak with him, he
said. Punishments include flogging and, in the worst cases, charges of
spreading propaganda against the state.

The resolution calls on Iran to stop a range of abuses including torture,
gender discrimination and the targeting of activists and journalists. It now
goes to the General Assembly.

In a statement, Iranian opposition leader Maryam Rajavi said the resolution
"leaves no doubt that the appalling human rights record of the clerical regime
must be referred to the Security Council for the adoption of binding and
punitive measures," and she warned that the nuclear talks should not be used as
an excuse to ignore Iran's human rights issues.

In a separate statement, the U.S.-based group Impact Iran said, "More must be
done to hold Iran accountable for its human rights abuses."

(source: First Post)

*********************

UN Committee Calls On Iran To Stop Executions

A UN committee has approved a resolution expressing deep concern about rights
violations in Iran, noting the "alarmingly high frequency" of the use of the
death penalty.

The UN General Assembly human rights committee passed the resolution on
November 18 with 78 yes votes from member countries, with 35 voting no and 69
abstaining.

The Canada-drafted resolution calls on Iran to stop abuses, including torture.

The resolution follows on a report by a UN special investigator on human rights
and points out that Iran has never allowed him to visit.

Iran's representative protested that the resolution doesn't acknowledge
"positive developments" since President Hassan Rohani took office.

"At the time when many parts of our region are burning in the fires of
extremism," the resolution is counterproductive, the diplomat said.

It now goes to the General Assembly.

source: Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)

INDONESIA:

Couple could face death for smuggling firearms

A married couple face the possibility of being sentenced to death under the
Firearms Act 1971 after they were caught smuggling 5 air rifles and tens of
thousands of pellets from across the border on Monday.

They were intercepted shortly after crossing the border back here around noon,
after a team from the district police headquarters received a tip-off that a
shipment of illegal weapons was being smuggled into the state.

District police chief DSP Mohd Sabri Zainol said a thorough search was
conducted on the couple's old Toyota Corolla car during which 5 air rifles and
a cache of over 48,000 pellets were found inside the rear seat, which had been
modified to conceal the weapons.

"At the time of the arrest, the 50-something husband from Krokong and his
40-something Indonesian wife were travelling with their 9-year-old daughter,
whom we have since handed over to a relative.

"The couple, however, are being investigated under Section 7 of the Firearms
Act (Enhanced Penalties) 1971, which carries the mandatory death penalty or
life imprisonment and not fewer than 6 strokes of the cane if convicted," Mohd
Sabri told a press conference yesterday.

The OCPD further warned locals not to become arms smugglers by bringing in such
weapons from across the border, as the police viewed the matter seriously and
would come down hard on anyone found breaking the law.

"I implore the public not to view this issue lightly as these guns can easily
fall into the hands of criminals and could lead to cases of shooting deaths,"
he said, adding that 2 other air rifles and an air pistol were seized in Bau
prior to Monday's bust.

He also revealed that initial investigation indicated the suspect and his wife
have previously smuggled similar weapons across the border, but that neither of
them possessed any prior arrest record.

The guns, he said, were bought for less than RM200 apiece and were meant to be
resold for profit to willing buyers here and in other districts.

During the press conference, the OCPD also chided several local dailies for
literally 'jumping the gun' in reporting the seizure of the weapons.

"I'm not happy because no reporter contacted me to verify the information. If
you publish the wrong information, it could jeopardise our investigation.

"There is no need to be so hasty. Wait for us to gather all the information and
we will call for a press conference," he added.

On the recent nationwide crackdown on cyber gambling outlets, Mohd Sabri
announced that such outlets in Bau have ceased to operate following relentless
raids conducted by his men throughout the year.

???We have been cracking down on these types of outlets all year, with over 60
raids conducted and countless computers seized. "I also urge the public not to
patronise such outlets because when there is no longer any demand, operators
will not be bothered to open as there are no profits to be made."

Among those present at the press conference were district CID chief ASP
Benedict Faris Jimoy and investigating officers Inspector Lonie Butek and
Inspector Hamizan Ibrahim.

(source: Borneo Post)

BANGLADESH:

'Of course, we killed him ... he had to go'----A little more than a quarter
century ago I met a man who calmly told me how he had organized the massacre of
a family. There was no sense of remorse in his confession. He was bragging
about it, even grinning as he spoke to me

A little more than a quarter century ago I met a man who calmly told me how he
had organized the massacre of a family. There was no sense of remorse in his
confession. He was bragging about it, even grinning as he spoke to me.

I was a young reporter at that time, on assignment in Dhaka, trying to figure
out what had gone wrong with Bangladesh. 15 years earlier, as a schoolboy in
India, I had followed its blood-splattered struggle for independence. I
remembered the images of 10 million people who had crossed the border seeking
refuge in India; I had collected funds for the refugees by staging a play in
Bombay, as the city I grew up in was known at that time; we shouted 'Joy
Bangla', the Bangladeshi cry for independence, for no apparent reason
(10-year-old kids do such things); and we eagerly listened to the radio and
read newspapers over 2 weeks in December, as India defeated the Pakistani army,
assisting Bangladeshi Mukti Bahini forces to gain independence. During those
days, I remember going with my family to the railway station with home-cooked
food for Indian soldiers going to the front.

The man I was interviewing that day in Dhaka lived in a well-appointed home in
Banani, a tony part of Bangladesh's capital. Soldiers protected his house,
checking the bags and identification of all visitors. A week earlier he had
been a presidential candidate, losing by a huge margin to the eventual winner,
President Hussain Muhammad Ershad.

The man I met wore a Pathani outfit that looked out of place in a country where
civilian politicians tended to wear white kurtas with black waistcoats if they
belonged to the Awami League, and safari suits if they were part of the
Bangladesh Nationalist Party, while working class men on the streets went about
in lungis. The Pathani outfit was more in tune with what men from Pakistan
wore, and as I was to learn later, many Bangladeshis who had lost their loved
ones during the war hated that outfit, just as they hated the slogan
'Bangladesh Zindabad'. They preferred 'Joy Bangla'.

The man I had come to interview had a thin moustache and wore gold-rimmed
glasses. He stared at me eagerly as we spoke, curious about the notes I was
taking, trying to read what I was writing in my notepad. He sat straight on the
sofa, his chest thrust forward, as if he was still in uniform. He looked
self-assured and confident; not like someone who had overwhelmingly lost the
presidential poll. He was part of a high stakes game, and he looked as if he
was certain he would win, as if he was assured that someone important held all
the cards.

His name was Farooq Rahman, and he had been a major, and later, lieutenant
colonel in the Bangladeshi army. He had returned to Bangladesh only recently,
after several years in exile in Libya. What he had done in the past was not in
dispute.

Before dawn on 15 August 1975, he had led the Bengal Lancers, the army's tank
unit under his command, to disarm the Rokkhi Bahini, a paramilitary force loyal
to Sheikh Mujib. As Farooq left the Dhaka Cantonment, he had instructed other
officers and soldiers to go to the upscale residential area of Dhanmondi, where
Mujib lived. Soon after 5 a.m., the officers had killed Mujib and most of his
family.

I had been rehearsing how to ask Farooq about his role in the assassination. I
had no idea how he would react or respond. After a few desultory questions
about the country's political situation, I tentatively began, 'It has been
widely reported in Bangladesh that you were somehow connected with the plot to
remove Mujibur Rahman from power in 1975. Would you...'

'Of course, we killed him,' he interrupted me. 'He had to go,' he added, before
I could complete my hesitant, long-winded question.

Farooq Rahman thought he was a patriot. He believed he had saved the nation.
The governments that followed Mujib reinforced this self-belief and perception,
rewarding him and the other assassins with respectability by giving them
political space, and to some, plum diplomatic assignments. Farooq himself stood
in presidential elections, which he lost badly.

The Oxford-trained lawyer, Kamal Hossain, who was Mujib's law minister and
later foreign minister, told me, 'The impunity with which Farooq operated was
extraordinary. President Ershad encouraged Farooq to return because he wanted a
candidate to stand against him in the rigged elections, so that the process
would seem fair. In the face of the refusal of the opposition parties to
participate in the elections which would legitimize his rule, Ershad encouraged
Farooq to contest in the elections to give Ershad credibility.'

Farooq was able to operate with impunity for many years because the governments
that followed Mujib were not keen to prosecute the killers and in the late
1970s, during the rule of Gen. Zia, the 5th Amendment to the constitution was
passed, granting them immunity.

The political landscape in Bangladesh after Mujib's murder was unstable. In its
42-year history, there have been several coups, and the form of government has
switched from parliamentary to presidential to parliamentary again. The country
has had eleven prime ministers and over a dozen heads of state, and there have
been times when it has been ruled by generals, or by a caretaker government
comprising unelected officials.

Mujibur Rahman's daughter Sheikh Hasina Wajed had first come to power in 1996
but her majority was precarious at that time - her party, the Awami League, had
won 146 of 300 seats, and relied on the support of other parties to rule. But
when she came to power with an absolute majority in 2009, Hasina was determined
to redeem her father's reputation and seek justice. Her quest has larger
implications for Bangladesh's citizenry.

Hundreds of thousands - and by Bangladesh government estimates perhaps 3
million - people were killed during the 1971 war. Tens of thousands of
Bangladeshis now wait for justice - to see those who harmed them and their
loved ones brought to account. But the culture of impunity hasn't disappeared.

Even for Sheikh Hasina, it took more than 3 decades before she received some
measure of vindication, and one reason she was elected in 2008 was because she
promised to set up tribunals to prosecute individuals accused of having
committed international crimes, such as war crimes, crimes against humanity,
and genocide.

Sometime in the afternoon of 27 January 2010, Mahfuz Anam received a call from
a government official, saying that the end was imminent. Anam was in the
newsroom of Bangladesh's leading English newspaper, The Daily Star, where he is
the editor.

He knew what the message meant: perhaps within hours, 5 men - Lt. Col. Farooq,
Lt. Col. Sultan Shahriar Rashid Khan, Lt. Col. Mohiuddin Ahmed, Maj. Bazlul
Huda, and army lancer A.K.M. Mohiuddin - would be hanged by the neck until they
died at the city's central jail. Anam told his reporters to be prepared, and
sent several reporters and photographers to cover the executions.

'We had hints that the end was near, particularly when the relatives of the 5
men were asked to come and meet them, and given hardly any notice,' Anam told
me during a long telephone conversation a week after the executions.

'The authorities had told the immediate families that there were no limits on
the number of relatives who could come, and they were allowed to remain with
them until well after visiting hours. We knew that the final hours had come,'
he said.

Once the families left, the 5 men were sent to their cells. They were told to
take a bath and offer their night prayers. Then the guards asked them if they
wanted to eat anything special. An imam came, offering to read from the Quran.

Around 10:30 p.m., a reporter called Anam to say that the city's civil surgeon,
Mushfiqur Rahman, and district magistrate Zillur Rahman had arrived at the
jail. Police vans arrived 50 minutes later, carrying 5 empty coffins. The
paramilitary force known as the Rapid Action Battalion, took positions at
various nodal points in the city that were prone to strikes and stoppages at
the slightest political pretext, providing support to the regular police force
to prevent demonstrations.

Other leading officials came within minutes: the home secretary, the inspector
general of prisons, and the police commissioner. Rashida Ahmad, who was at that
time news editor at the online news agency, bdnews24.com, recalled: 'Many media
houses practically decamped en masse to the jail to "experience a historic
moment" firsthand.' Anam told me, 'By 11:35 p.m., we knew it would happen that
night. We held back our 1st edition. The 2nd edition had the detailed story.'

Bazlul Huda was the first to be taken to the gallows. He was handcuffed, and a
black hood covered his face. Eyewitnesses have said Huda struggled to free
himself and screamed loudly as guards led him to the brightly lit room. An
official waved and dropped a red handkerchief to the ground, the signal for the
executioner to proceed. It was just after midnight when Huda died. Mohiuddin
Ahmed was next, followed by Farooq, Shahriar, and A.K.M. Mohiuddin. It was all
over soon after 1 a.m.

Earlier that day, the Bangladesh Supreme Court had rejected the final appeal of
four of the 5 convicts. Shahriar was the only one not to seek presidential
pardon. His daughter Shehnaz, who spent 2 hours with her father that evening,
later said: 'My father was a freedom fighter; and a man who fights for the
independence of his country never begs for his life.'

Sheikh Hasina was at her prime ministerial home that night. She was informed
when the executions began, she reportedly asked to be left alone and later
offered namaz-e-shukran, a prayer of gratitude. Many people, most of them
supporters of the Awami League, had gathered outside her house that night, but
she did not come out to meet anybody. A few days later, she told a party
convention that it was a moment of joy for all of them, because due process had
been served.

Many governments oppose the death penalty on principle and consider it violates
human rights, and the European Union had appealed to the Bangladeshi government
to commute the sentence of Mujib's assassins. The human rights group Amnesty
International had also sought clemency, while agreeing that the men should face
justice. These appeals met with no response.

The mood in Dhaka was sober and subdued, although Dhaka residents spoke of
celebrations in certain localities. Ahmad, who was at her news desk until late
at bdnews24.com, described the mood in the newsroom as sombre. Many in the city
could understand Hasina thanking God, and other politicians welcoming the
closing of a dark chapter, but some felt it a bit much that parliament itself
thanked God and adjourned for the day, she told me.

It had taken 34 years for this saga to end. The 1st politician to grant these
men immunity was Khondaker Mostaq Ahmad, who took over as Bangladesh???s
president after Mujib's assassination. He had even praised the assassins,
calling them 'shurjo shontan' or 'sons of the sun'.

Gen. Ziaur Rahman, who later became president, confirmed their immunity and
later amended the constitution to entrench this. In the years that followed,
their political rehabilitation had begun. Lt. Col. Shariful Haq Dalim, a
decorated liberation war veteran who had played a major role in the conspiracy,
held diplomatic positions in Beijing, Hong Kong, and became high commissioner
to Kenya, even though he was implicated in a coup attempt in 1980.

Lt. Col. Aziz Pasha served in Rome, Nairobi, and Harare, where he sought asylum
when Hasina first came to power in 1996. She removed him from his diplomatic
post but he stayed on in Harare, and died there. (A month after the executions,
Awami League activists ransacked and set afire the home of his brother in
Dhaka.) Maj. Huda was briefly a member of parliament, and also served as
diplomat in Islamabad and Jeddah.

Other conspirators at various times served Bangladeshi missions in Beijing,
Buenos Aires, Algiers, Islamabad, Teheran, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Bangkok, Lagos,
Dakar, Ankara, Jakarta, Tokyo, Muscat, Cairo, Kuala Lumpur, Ottawa, and Manila.

The government said it would now try to bring the surviving officers back to
Bangladesh from the countries where some of the conspirators reportedly
continued to live. These were often identified as the United States, Canada,
Pakistan, South Africa, Thailand, and Kenya. They have been tried in absentia
and some face execution.

Bringing all of them back is not going to be easy for Bangladesh, because some
countries where they reportedly live, like Canada and South Africa, have
abolished the death penalty, and Kenya has placed a temporary moratorium on the
death penalty. They are unlikely to extradite them, unless Bangladesh
guarantees that they will not be executed. Bangladesh is unlikely to offer such
guarantee.

Bangladesh is among 58 countries (including India) that retain the death
penalty. In 2008, 5 people were executed in Bangladesh. Bangladeshi human
rights lawyers have found it hard to challenge the death penalty on a matter of
principle because there is public support for the death penalty in Bangladesh.

Lawyers do appeal individual cases, but there is no concerted major human
rights campaign against the death penalty. There are also political
compulsions. One human rights activist told me, 'We are against [the] death
penalty but the dilemma is that we are in a country where life imprisonment
really means imprisonment guaranteed only until your party comes to power. The
death penalty is almost seen as the only way to guarantee justice for such a
grisly crime.'

(source: Salil Tripathi, Dhaka tribune)

********************

SC upholds death for 2 in JSD leader Aref killing case

The Supreme Court today upheld the death penalty of 2 persons in a case filed
for killing Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) president Kazi Aref Ahmed and 4
others in 1999.

The apex court passed the order after rejecting 2 review petitions filed by the
condemn convicts -- Rashedul Islam alias Jhantu and Anwar Hossain alias Anwar
-- challenging its verdict that had sentenced them to death in the case.

An armed gang killed Kazi Aref, Kushtia district JSD president Lokman Hossain,
general secretary Yakub Ali, local JSD leader Shamsher Ali and Israil Hossain
at a rally in Kalidaspur village of Daulatpur upazila in Kushtia on February
16, 1999.

After today's verdict, Additional Attorney General Mumtaz Uddin Fakir told
reporters that the convicts can now seek presidential mercy to save their
necks.

"If they don't, the jail authorities can execute them any day," Fakir said.

M Masud Rana, a counsel for the convicts, told The Daily Star that his clients
will take decision about the presidential mercy after getting the full judgment
of the SC.

On August 30, 2004, the then additional district and sessions judge Fazlur
Rahman pronounced verdict sentencing 10 people to death and 12 others to
life-term imprisonment for the killings.

On August 5 in 2008, a High Court bench acquitted one of the death sentence
awardees and upheld punishment of others.

The duo filed the review petition after the Supreme Court upheld the HC verdict
on August 7, 2011.

(source: The Daily Star)

INDIA:

Godhra train burning convict on death row jumps parole

Salim Zarda, who was awarded death penalty in the Godhra train burning case,
jumped parole leading the Vadodara Central jail to sound an alert. Zarda, who
was among the 11 sentenced to death in the February 27, 2002 Sabarmati express
carnage case in which 59 persons were burnt to death, had got parole from the
Gujarat High Court on the ground that he needed to be present at home in Godhra
to build the collapsed roof of his house. The 15-day parole ended Tuesday.

Another convict Bilal Abdulla Badam who is serving a life term in the same
case, was attacked when on parole to attend the funeral rites of his mother.
His parole ends November 21.

Vadodara central jail authorities said that Zarda was required to turn up by
Tuesday after his parole term ended but did not show up and hence they have
alerted Godhra police as well as railway police to arrest him and bring him
back.

He was supposed to be back by Tuesday. Now, he has jumped his parole so we have
written to Godhra SP and railway police to look out for him and bring him back
to the jail," a jail official said.

The lawyer who had moved his parole request before the high court, Deepak
Sindhi, said that Zarda was granted parole after a government official stood as
his guarantor. He had also deposited a security money of Rs 1 lakh before the
court.

"Zarda had sought parole on the ground that he was required to be present
during the construction of his ancestral house where his family lives. I am not
aware if he has moved request for extension of his parole. If the court grants
him extension, the jail authorities may come to know about it only after a few
days," Sindhi said.

Badam had sought a 15-day parole after his mother passed away and was required
to surrender before the jail on November 21. He had sought another week-long
extension of his parole from the high court. According to the FIR, Badam was on
Tuesday night attacked by 3 persons, one identified as Mohsin Mamji, who tried
to loot his motorcycle.

The incident took place at around 11:30 in the night when Badam was at the
house of his in-laws at Bhukri Palot locality. 3 persons barged into their
house and started asking for the keys of his motorcycle. When he refused, they
attacked him with sharp weapon and injured his hand. He is currently undergoing
treatment at Godhra civil hospital.

A special court had awarded death sentence to eleven convicts in March 2011 and
awarded life imprisonment to 21 others while 63 accused were released. A
convict, Shaukat Patadia died in 2012 while serving life imprisonment, while 4
other accused were granted permanent bail in 2013.

Remaining convicts are lodged in Vadodara central jail.

(source: Indian Express)

********************

Man gets death penalty for murder of 2 nephews

Almost 2 years after 30-year-old Mahipal kidnapped and murdered his nephews,
aged 6 and 7, in Dataganj tehsil, the court of additional district judge in
Badaun sentenced him to death, terming it as a "rarest of rare crimes".

"After examining the evidences and testimony of witnesses, the court of ADJ
termed it as 'rarest of rare crime' in its 51-page order saying that for the
greed of land, Mahipal executed the plan and killed 2 innocent children in a
brutal manner. The court awarded death sentence to Mahipal for murdering his
nephews and also slapped a fine of Rs 35,000 on him," said Jagat Singh,
additional district government council.

Mahipal had kidnapped his 2 nephews on the morning of January 9, 2013 and later
strangled them to death the same day as he was upset that their grandmother,
Sushila Devi, had transferred 5 bigha land in their name. He buried their
bodies under the cattle shed at his home in Larori village. The police found
the bodies at Mahipal's home, which led to his arrest.

A case against Mahipal began in the court of the 7th additional district judge.
During the course of trial, 8 public witnesses were produced and additional
session judge, Bhudev Gautam, heard the arguments of the defence and
prosecution.

Giving details, police said, on January 9, 2013, Vikesh (6) and Jitendra (7),
sons of brothers Vidyaram and Brijesh respectively, went missing. The family
members tried to locate the children in the village and adjoining areas but
when they failed to trace them, they lodged a complaint with the local police.

Meanwhile, the family received calls from the kidnapper who demanded Rs 2 lakh
ransom for each kid. He also threatened to kill the children if they took the
matter to the police.

During investigation, the police discovered that Vidyaram and Brijesh's cousin,
Mahipal, had kidnapped their sons. They traced him on the basis of the threat
calls he had made. The cops arrested him after the kids' bodies were found
buried under the cowshed at his home.

(source: Times of India)

SAUDI ARABIA----execution

Saudi beheads killer who donned women's clothes

Saudi Arabia executed on Wednesday a man who donned women's clothing in a bid
to escape after shooting dead a soldier and police officer, state media said.

Salih bin Yateem bin Salih al-Qarni was beheaded in the southwestern city of
Abha, the official Saudi Press Agency said.

Qarni was intially arrested on other charges and was transported in an official
vehicle by the soldier and a member of the Muttawa religious police.

"He shot them with a gun that he was carrying," the SPA said, without
explaining how he obtained the weapon.

After stealing the keys from the security officer driving the vehicle, Qarni
chewed some narcotic qat "and disguised himself in women's clothing" in an
attempt to flee, but was recaptured, it said.

Saudi women are required to cover from head to toe, often with only their eyes
exposed.

The report did not say when the escape bid occurred.

Qarni is the latest of 69 Saudis and foreigners executed in the kingdom this
year, despite international concern.

Rape, murder, apostasy, drug trafficking and armed robbery are all punishable
by death under the kingdom's strict version of Islamic sharia law.

(source: Agence France-Presse)

GHANA:

Akua Donkor wants death penalty

Founder and leader of Ghana Freedom Party (GFP), Akua Donkor, has proposed
death penalty for any man who would be arrested for raping a minor.

In her opinion, there is nothing sexually attractive on young girls so men who
forcibly have carnal knowledge with such girls should be executed.

"Men who defile small girls should be killed since they are not fit to be in
the society," she told King Edward of Hello FM in a chat on Monday.

Akua Donkor, however, lambasted young girls of today for always dressing
half-naked, an act, which according to her, demeans womanhood.

She observed with pain and sorrow how some young ladies dress in a manner that
exposes their breast and other sensitive parts.

The GFP leader said some rapists committed the weird offence because they
cannot resist the temptation of half-naked ladies.

Women dressing almost nude, she said, "Are not part of Ghana's culture", adding
that the influx of foreign culture was badly influencing the young ladies to
dress nude.

Akua Donkor noted that when she was a young girl, it was almost a taboo for any
lady to expose her vital parts in public.

She, therefore, admonished young ladies to dress decently at all times so as to
stop tempting the young men into raping them.

Akua Donkor said her presidential ambition is intact, stressing that she would
ban the wearing of short skirts by ladies when she becomes president.

According to her, as Ghana's president, she would quickly order for the police
to apprehend ladies who dress nudely in public.

The GFP founder stressed on the need for decency in the way people, especially
women dress in society

Akua Donkor stated that her administration would put in place measures to make
sure that Ghanaian women dress properly by covering their entire bodies as
pertaining in many Islamic societies.

This, she was of the opinion, would help reduce the upsurge in rape cases in
the country as the women would stop tempting the men with their nude dressings.

(source: Ghana Web)