[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----PENN., DEL., MISS., OHIO, IND.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:16:57 CST 2014

Nov. 17

PENNSYLVANIA:

Jury selection on hold in case involving deaths of East Liberty sisters

Jury selection in the trial of a man accused of killing 2 East Liberty sisters
earlier this year will not occur today as scheduled, the Allegheny County
district attorney's office said.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Allen Wade, 44, charged with two
counts of homicide and other crimes in relation to the deaths of Susan and
Sarah Wolfe.

Online court records show jury selection was set to begin today, but DA's
office spokesman Mike Manko said it had been put on hold pending a status
conference.

The sisters were found in their home on Chislett Street about 1 p.m. Feb. 7
after coworkers became concerned after Susan Wolfe didn't show up for her job
as a teacher's aide at Hillel Academy in Squirrel Hill. Sarah Wolfe was a
psychiatrist at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.

Investigators believe the women were killed the night before, each by a single
gunshot wound to the head. DNA from Wade, a convicted felon who lived next door
to the women, was found under Susan Wolfe's fingernails, prosecutors said.

(source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

DELAWARE:

Delaware death penalty opponents gear up orchestrated campaign

Death penalty opponents are going public in Delaware the next few days.

"Death Penalty Awareness Days" started Friday and runs through Nov. 23.

The orchestrated push was designed to "educate the public about the inherent
flaws in a capital punishment system and grow support for repeal of the death
penalty in Delaware," according to a The Delaware Repeal Project news release.

Town hall-style forums are scheduled in Bear (Tuesday), Middletown (Wednesday)
and Dover (Thursday) next week.

Among the keynote speakers is retired Manchester, N.H., police officer John
Breckinridge, who said he initially supported the death penalty but has come
around for repeal. Mr. Breckinridge's law enforcement partner was shot and
killed as they investigated a disturbance in 2006.

When asked why, in a nutshell, the death penalty should be repealed, Mr.
Breckinridge answered via email with:

"The death penalty should be repealed as it is about revenge, not justice," he
said. "It prolongs the legal process potentially by decades making the families
of all involved suffer for that length of time.

"The death penalty is not cost efficient as the bills for a DP case are in the
millions while similar cases where the sentence is life in prison without
parole tend to cost significantly less.

"The sole death row inmate in New Hampshire has cost the state $5 million plus
to date with appeals yet to happen while the estimate for his case would have
been under $1 million if the death penalty had not been sought.

"There have been people that were sentenced to death who were later found to be
not just not guilty under law but innocent in every sense. The execution of
even one innocent person is enough reason to repeal the death penalty."

Mr. Breckinridge will speak at St. Joseph Catholic Church Parish Hall at 115
Cleaver Farm Road in Middletown on Wednesday, followed by an appearance at
Wesley United Methodist Church at 209 S. State St. in Dover on Thursday. The
first meeting is Tuesday at St. Elizabeth Anne Seton R.C. Parish Hall at 345
Bear-Christiana Road in Bear.

The meetings are scheduled from 7 to 9 p.m.

Emotions likely will run high at the death penalty repeal gatherings, Mr.
Breckinridge said.

"The (gatherings) that I've seen tend to be a pep rally of sorts for the people
attending, it gets them excited about their cause, lets them meet and connect
with like-minded people, and shows that lots of people from very different
lives and points of view can agree about a cause," he said.

"On the other hand there are some people who become very upset at these events.
It can be a very emotional and polarizing issue. ..."

"It's True: Police Support Repeal" is the theme for the town-hall forums,
officials said.

Other keynote speakers include West Orange, N.J., Police Chief James Abbott,
Terrence Dwyer and George Kain of Western Connecticut State University, both
past and present police officers.

"The death penalty system is broken beyond repair, and the fact that police
officers and others in law enforcement support repeal illustrates that the
death penalty does not contribute to our safety," The Delaware Repeal Project
Campaign manager Ti Hall said in a news release.

"We can replace the death penalty with life without parole and use the tax
dollars saved to fund violent crime prevention and services for victims???
families."

The Delaware Repeal Project will visit church worship services throughout the
state as well, which started Friday.

Currently, there are 16 convicted murderers, all men, sentenced to death in
Delaware, according to the Delaware Department of Correction.

More information on The Delaware Repeal Project is available online at
www.DERepeal.org.

(source: delaware.newszap.com)

MISSISSIPPI:

No 7th trial for Curtis Flowers in quadruple murder

For some Mississippians, especially those in Montgomery County, the name Curtis
Flowers evokes a haunting and eerie reflection.

Flowers sits on death row convicted of killing 4 people, including his former
boss, at Tardy Furniture Store in Winona in July 1996.

After a succession of mistrials and successful appeals that led to retrials,
the Mississippi Supreme Court on Thursday upheld Flowers' 4th conviction for
the execution-style killings of Robert Golden, Carmen Rigby, 16-year-old
Derrick Stewart and store-owner Bertha Tardy. Flowers, 44, will not face a 7th
trial.

The court, in a 6-3 decision, rejected numerous arguments made by Sheri Lynn
Johnson, assistant director of the Cornell Death Penalty Project, at a hearing
July 21 that there were "many odd characteristics and many errors" in Flowers'
last and 6th trial. Johnson alleged the prosecution "cheated" when they made
misstatements of evidence in closing arguments, introduced unreliable
identification and displayed racial discrimination during jury selection.

Johnson also said there was "no way one person could have shot all four people
at close range."

At the hearing, Melanie Thomas, special assistant attorney general, said a
primary witness consistently identified Flowers as being in front of the store
that day, that Flowers had a clear motive and that the Tardy family "considered
Flowers a threat and were concerned for their safety."

Facts of the case

On the morning of July 16, 1996, Sam Jones Jr., a retired employee of Tardy
Furniture, went to the store to teach 2 new employees, Golden and Stewart, how
to properly load and unload furniture.

As Jones entered the store that Tuesday morning between 9:30 and 10 a.m. he
found the bodies of the 4 victims. All 4 had been shot in the head. Golden had
been shot twice.

During his initial testimony, the 87-year-old Jones, now deceased, said he was
startled by "gurgling" sounds or what he later described as "someone trying to
catch their breath." The prosecution said it was Stewart, fighting for his
life. He died a week later, unable to name his assailant.

Flowers became an immediate suspect when investigators learned he had been
fired from the store several days earlier and owed Bertha Tardy $30 for a cash
advance on his check.

Prosecutors have consistently argued Flowers had a "beef" with the store
because his paycheck had been withheld to offset merchandise damaged in his
care.

Several other factors tied Flowers to the crime: bloody shoe prints found at
the scene matched shoes he was said to own; several eyewitnesses saw him in
front of or near the store the morning of the killings; the gun used was stolen
from Flowers' uncle's car the morning of the killings and Flowers was seen
sitting on the car; cash found at Flowers' home was close to what had been
stolen from the store, and a gunshot residue test performed on Flowers hours
after the killings confirmed particles on his hands.

In October 1997, Flowers faced his first trial in Lee County for Tardy's death.
Flowers took the stand in his defense and gave inconsistent testimony as to his
actions the morning of the killings. He was found guilty and sentenced to
death. That conviction was later reversed because of prosecutorial misconduct,
namely, introducing evidence related to the deaths of the other victims when
Flowers was not on trial for those crimes.

In March 1999, Flowers stood trial in Harrison County for Stewart's killing and
was found guilty and sentenced to death. That conviction was reversed for
prosecutorial misconduct, including the introduction of evidence relating to
the other killings.

In February 2004, Flowers was tried for all four killings in Montgomery County.
He was again found guilty and sentenced to death. That conviction was reversed
for prosecutorial misconduct, including racial discrimination in the jury
selection.

The remaining 3 trials also took place in Montgomery County.

In November 2007, the state did not seek the death penalty, and the trial
resulted in a hung jury and mistrial.

In September 2008, at the fifth trial, two black jurors were arrested and
charged with perjury. An alternate juror, and the only black female on the
panel, Mary Annette Purnell, claimed during the voir dire process that she
didn't know Flowers, but it was later revealed her car was seen prior to the
trial at his parents' house and that she was listed as an approved visitor at
the prison where Flowers was being held. Another juror, James Bibbs, introduced
information during the jury deliberations that had not been considered during
the trial. Judge Joseph Loper eventually declared a mistrial.

Flowers' 6th trial in June 2010 lasted 2 weeks. The jury deliberated 30 minutes
before finding Flowers guilty and sentencing him to death.

Divided opinions

The Tardy murders, as they are known, have split the county of more than
10,000, which is is 53 % white and 45 % black.

In a recent poll of Montgomery County residents, just as many blacks as whites
said they believe Flowers is guilty. A large number from both races remains
undecided and a small percentage believes Flowers was involved but didn't act
alone.

Ormon Knox, jury foreman in Flowers' 5th trial in 2008, said there are numerous
conspiracy theories. "This is all the community is talking about," he said,
"but these things were never discussed in the courtroom."

Some residents also believe that 2 men accused of robbing a pawn shop and
shooting 2 people in Alabama around the same time as the Tardy killings may
have actually committed the crime. A .38-caliber pistol was used in those
killings, the same as in the Tardy case.

The prosecution has also been criticized for allegedly trying to keep
African-Americans off the jury. In Flowers' 6th trial, more than 600 jurors
were summoned - 55 % white and 42 % black. By mid-morning, fewer than 200
remained.

Prosecutors have argued - and it was borne out during the voir dire process -
that the majority of potential black jurors in Montgomery County knew Flowers
personally, had some kind of relationship with his family, or had been sued by
Tardy Furniture and could thereby not be impartial.

In its decision, the high court agreed, citing several specific instances of
those facts.

During the 2010 trial, Loper encouraged District Attorney Doug Evans to pursue
legislation that would allow for a wider jury selection.

"Supposedly, the jury is fair to everyone," Evans said in 2010. "But as far as
the law is concerned, if the defendant thinks the jury is not fair to him, he
can request a change of venue. That's by law. But there is no such provision
for the state."

Sen. Lydia Chassaniol, who resides in Montgomery County, introduced a bill that
would "allow an impartial jury to be drawn from a wider geographical area than
the county where the crime was committed."

"I offered the bill because the jury pool seemed to be depleting rapidly due to
several trials," Chassaniol said. "Also, modern transportation is very
different from when the state constitution was drafted. It seemed like a
logical step to expand the jury pool lines from the county boundary to that of
the Circuit Court district."

Chassaniol said the chairmen of the judiciary committees, however, believes her
bill would require a constitutional amendment, and she has yet to pursue that
effort.

Thus far, Flowers' trials have cost Montgomery County taxpayers $340,000.
Chancery Clerk Tallmadge "Tee" Golding said a 7th trial could cripple the
county.

"The amount of money that it costs for these kinds of trials is so much more
than the average trial," Golding said. "We have the jury sequestered. We have
to put them up in a motel. We have to feed the jurors 3 meals a day, and we
have to provide transportation for them. It's just a lot of extra money that
could be used for anything like buying new equipment or paving roads."

Golding also said continued litigation would put a continued strain on families
involved.

"They can never put this case to rest," he said. "Time heals a lot of things.
But for these families and anybody connected to these families, they will
never, ever forget."

Monica Land is a freelance writer living in Monroe County.

OTHER MULTIPLE RETRIALS

Sheri Lynn Johnson, assistant director of the Cornell Death Penalty Project,
said at a July hearing that at 6 trials, Curtis Flowers' case was "unmatched in
capital litigation in the entire country." But Flowers is not the first person
to stand trial several times for the same crime in the state of Mississippi.

-- On July 6, 1974, Arthur Lee Stevenson, an inmate at the Warren County jail,
stabbed a 72-year-old guard 26 times with a butcher's knife. After 4 mistrials,
Stevenson was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison, where he
remains.

-- 5 mistrials were declared in the case of Loretta Pierre of Harrison County.
Pierre was charged with killing Kathy Schweinsberg, the girlfriend of her ex,
in December 1985. After a change of venue to Warren County, Pierre was found
guilty of murder in February 1989 and sentenced to life in prison where she
remains.

(source: Clarion Ledger)

**********************

Behind closed doors: Jury foreman tells his story

I was the best possible chance for Curtis Flowers to get a fair trial.

All of the other jurors were from Winona and were here when the incident
occurred. I wasn't. I spent 22 years in the Navy, retired and moved back to
Winona in 2003. And as somebody who was from Winona but didn't live here, I
didn't have access to all the noise, the conspiracies and the theories of what
he did do and what he didn't do. ... I didn't know Curtis Flowers. All I had
was the order from the judge on how to conduct myself as a juror.

I was sequestered for the 5th trial in 2008. There were 15 of us chosen. 1
juror was dismissed and 2 of the jurors got in trouble. One juror, Mary Annette
Purnell, placed a call to Flowers and she didn't make that known. And they came
in during deliberations and walked her out in handcuffs.

And once we got into the nitty gritty of it, and we were already confused about
Purnell, James Bibbs finally said what he said - that Curtis Flowers wasn't
guilty because he and another man saw him around an auto shop the day of the
murders. And we all jumped on him and said, "You can't do that Mr. Bibbs." But
he held onto the fact Flowers didn't do it. But his premise was based on what
was not discussed in court. And, in all fairness, that's how we got the
mistrial.

Me, Mr. Bibbs and another man named Brown were the only blacks on the jury. And
there were 7 ladies. And once we were given our instructions to go in and
deliberate, the bailiff said, "Choose who you want to be your leader because if
you need a break, if you need anything, we're only going to work through 1
person and 1 person only." And I was chosen to be that 1 person.

I spent 3 years with the Navy brig as a guard and a receipt and release
officer. I heard every kind of case imaginable. So, I had a unique perspective
on justice from a military standpoint. And what I tried to do in Flowers' trial
was to take a more practical approach. We had chart papers all over the place.
We re-stepped everything and tried to keep everything on point as to what we
could discuss and what we knew what was not discussed in the courtroom.

But the real hard part from now on with any trial that has to do with Curtis
Flowers is knowing that all the outside information that doesn't even get
discussed in the courtroom is what the community is talking about. And here's
what I mean. Mr. Tardy, Mrs. Tardy's husband, was known on business days to
come in the store and take a seat in the rocking chair. You come through the
front door; he's usually the 1st person you see. The day of the crime, he
wasn't at the store. People talk about that.

There's a lot of conspiracy surrounding Mr. Tardy's son from his previous
marriage. That he didn't like his stepmom. There was somebody connected to the
mob. Curtis Flowers fled to Texas and came back with all this money. His mom
had earlier won a class-action suit with Fen-Phen and folks were talking about,
"Where is all this money coming from? How are they living now?" I heard all
types of crazy stuff like that later, but it wasn't discussed in the courtroom.

They said there's no way he could have shot four people. You can say all you
want. But all I know is, even O.J. took the stand. If you don't take the stand
in your own defense, then for me, you know more than what you're letting on.
And what you know may be detrimental to not only your family but other people
who know what you know.

Flowers didn't move. He didn't flinch during the trial. He sat there the whole
2 weeks. And he didn't have to do anything. The burden of proof was on the
state. So, there wasn't anything for him to do.

In the military, if you ever go up against a court martial, you're guilty. And
now you have to sit there and prove your innocence or justify your actions.

But most of the information against him was very circumstantial. There was a
missing gun that was never found. But each circumstantial thing pointed in his
direction.

We deliberated for almost two weeks, and I was trying to uncover everything.
Sometimes we brought up things the defense should have brought up. And because
of the urgency of trying to put him away, I could also see a lot of missteps at
the hands of the district attorney because these folks were frustrated.

The DA and some people here in the county connected with the local judicial
system, they are totally, totally frustrated and the truth is, if the death
penalty had never been on the table, he'd be serving life in prison right now.

But once we got the case, I didn't allow the jury to come up with a verdict in
15 minutes after going in or 45 minutes. I mean, we worked. And the female
jurors. They were very conscious of Flowers' mother being there. And they
agonized over the decision that they had to make. They did. And all these
ladies were white. So, at this point, it just wasn't a black and white thing.
It really wasn't. I can't speak so much for the men. Because they pretty much
had their minds made up. But it was mostly the women that went to work in
there.

When Mr. Bibbs said what he said, I passed a note through, and the judge said,
"Keep deliberating."

When we went around the room and said what is your decision, the majority said
guilty, with 2 who said not guilty. And I actually had 1 of the female jurors
on my side. And one abstained. We asked them to bring in pictures; we
questioned the testimony of the experts they brought in. And I had 1 female
juror who hung in there with me to guide all of us into a real deliberation
mode instead of just saying, "This is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it." I
was the last person to break down and say, "Well, based on the information we
have, it all points to him."

The 2nd time I passed a note through and said, "Judge, we're at a deadlock." He
said okay. He declared a mistrial, and they immediately put handcuffs on Mr.
Bibbs.

But before all that took place. Before we said, "Let's get the opinion of
everybody." Everybody agreed that, this time, if we could come up with a
unanimous verdict of guilty, we were going to recommend no death penalty. Just
life in prison. And that's another credit to these particular jurors. But you
don't hear people talking about that.

I've read some of the national blogs, and it's so easy for people to say,
especially when you talk about our black men being railroaded, that "2 blacks
voted guilty, and there still isn't enough evidence to prove he's really
guilty." That's just not the case. It all pointed to him.

After it was declared a mistrial, most of us had an emotional breakdown. It
just hit us, and we were crying like babies. I took these people through
talking about this, looking at bloody pictures - and especially those women who
were looking at that boy's mother every day. There wasn't a day during
deliberation that they didn't mention, "I could not be in her seat right now."
And they did everything they could to figure out a way to free that fella.

So, it wasn't a black and white thing. These women agonized over it until the
judge said, "We thank you for your time, and we thank you for your service."
The bailiff opened the door for us to go out the side way, and that was it. I
couldn't do anything but cry myself. It was just that emotional, the weight we
were carrying. It was almost like a collapse, and I just took a few days and
got away.

Now, when we see each other on the street, we speak. Most of the ladies give me
a hug. We ask about family. But this experience hasn't changed me.

But the (community) leaders should be trying to get people past this. Winona is
a place that should be growing, but it's totally stagnant. Instead of raising
up a cross, you need to start raising up some leaders that will really bring
folks together.

Don't get me wrong. I love where I live. No matter where I went around the
world, I found myself defending Mississippi.

I'm just like James Meredith. He didn't want to go to Ole Miss because he was
trying to change civil rights or because he wanted to be the 1st black to go
there. And he writes in his book that, technically, he wasn't the 1st black to
go. But he wanted to go because, he said, as a citizen of Mississippi, there
should be no reason why a school that has every major nationality attending -
that as a citizen of Mississippi, that he couldn't attend. And that's sort of
how I feel about it. There's still work to be done here.

(source: Ormon Knox is currently the District 5 election commissioner of
Montgomery County----Clarion Ledger)

OHIO:

Might Ohio use electric chair again?

The difficulty of obtaining drugs for executions has some Ohio legislators
talking about alternatives, including the electric chair.

"There are other options," said Rep. Jim Buchy, R-Greenville, a co-sponsor of
legislation to keep the supplier of execution drugs secret.

"Rope is cheap," said state Sen. Bill Seitz, R-Cincinnati.

No one is seriously suggesting - at least not yet - taking "Old Sparky," Ohio's
electric chair, out of retirement, or returning to hanging, which the state
abandoned in 1897.

But Ohio's problem with lethal-injection drugs is coming to a head: The
scheduled Feb. 15 execution of Ronald Phillips is 90 days away.

Legislators are rushing to pass House Bill 663 before the lame-duck legislative
session ends on Dec. 31 so that the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and
Correction can obtain drugs it needs at least a month before the execution. The
legislation would protect the identity of the source of the drugs from
disclosure to the public and news media, and allow physicians who participate
in the process - as well as execution-team members - to remain anonymous.

The deadline is crucial because the state must inform U.S. District Judge
Gregory Frost of any changes in the execution protocol, including use of new or
different drugs, 30 days before a scheduled execution. Frost, the judge
handling lethal-injection lawsuits filed by death row inmates, postponed
executions this year until the drug issue is resolved.

Ohio's most-recent execution, of Dennis McGuire on Jan. 16, was troubled. After
the injection of midazolam and hydromorphone into his veins, McGuire struggled
against the restraints around his body for about 20 minutes. He repeatedly
gasped for air, made snorting and choking sounds and clenched his hands into
fists.

That combination of drugs had never been used in the U.S., and, if Ohio prisons
director Gary Mohr has his way, will never be used again in Ohio. The state had
resorted to the untested combination when pentobarbital, the single drug used
previously, became unavailable because manufacturers no longer sold it for use
in executions.

The drug still can't be obtained except from small "compounding pharmacies"
that mix drugs to customer specifications.

Ohio House Speaker William Batchelder, R-Medina, said the issue can't wait, "or
we're going to have people pass away prior to execution."

If Ohio were to revert to the electric chair, it would not be the 1st state to
do so. Tennessee passed a law this year requiring electrocution if
lethal-injection drugs aren't available. Tennessee also enacted a law last year
shielding the source of execution drugs from public disclosure.

The Death Penalty Information Center, a nonpartisan capital-punishment
clearinghouse, says 8 states allow electrocutions, but most of them don???t use
it.

In addition, Arizona, Missouri and Wyoming allow the gas chamber, Delaware, New
Hampshire and Washington permit hanging, while Oklahoma and Utah allow the
firing squad under limited circumstances.

Even if Ohio would, like Tennessee, go back to electrocutions, there's a
problem: Old Sparky was unplugged and shipped in 2002 to what is now the Ohio
History Connection. It was the focal point of a 2011 exhibition, "Controversy:
Pieces You Don't Normally See," that attracted thousands of visitors to the
museum at 17th Street and I-71. The wood, metal and leather chair was used to
execute 312 men and 3 women between 1897 and 1963.

It is now in storage.

Lethal injection, by law, became the only means of execution in Ohio in 2001.
However, that doesn't rule out other execution methods being added. There have
been discussions of options, including a gas administered by a mask fitted over
the face.

Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center,
said Missouri, Georgia and Texas have, like Tennessee, passed laws or have by
administrative rule cloaked the source of lethal-injection drugs. Georgia made
it a crime to reveal the drugs or their source.

Dieter said he's uncomfortable with a system that hides vital information from
the public about government's ultimate power of life and death.

"This is a curious path to go down. States would be better off being more
upfront about this.

"The fundamental principle is about how government is kept in check by the
people knowing what government is doing. ... It makes a difference where the
drugs come from, just as it would make a difference where the bolts come from
in bridges that the state builds."

Dieter said he is unaware of pharmacies or drug suppliers being harassed or
threatened, something suggested in the Ohio proposal as the rationale for
confidentiality. But there have been issues. A Houston pharmacy stopped selling
execution drugs when it was publicly revealed as a supplier. A Missouri
pharmacy that sold drugs to Oklahoma was sued for allegedly violating a
prohibition against interstate sale of drugs.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio slammed the legislation. "It's not
only a bad idea, it is bad governance to ram through during a postelection
session without due and serious consideration," said Mike Brickner, ACLU senior
policy analyst.

The Ohio Newspaper Association is opposed to making secret the records of
execution drugs. In a column, association Executive Director Dennis Hetzel said
he was "shocked by the sweeping language and the overall tone" of the
legislation.

"Under the current language, it will be impossible for journalists, citizens,
families and anyone else outside a handful of government officials and
bureaucrats to scrutinize the process. The new, open-ended exception will
invite the courts to block access to more and more information."

(source: Columbus Dispatch)

INDIANA:

A good reason to rethink the death penalty

It's not a deterrent, and we don't execute the worst of the worst.

If someone has a mental illness that makes him unclear on the very concept of
death, is that a valid reason not to execute him?

That's the question raised in the case of Michael Dean Overstreet, convicted
and sentenced to death for the 1997 abduction, rape and killing of 18-year-old
Franklin College student Kelly Eckhart. His attorneys are asking St. Joseph
County Judge Jane Woodward Miller to rule Overstreet is not competent to be
executed because he doesn't understand that he would die.

"Given his specific delusion, Overstreet would go to the execution chamber
believing that he would not die but rather would transition back to life with
his family. He cannot prepare himself in any spiritual sense for death," his
attorneys wrote.

The state counters that several of Overstreet's phone calls and emails include
conversations in which he discussed topics related to his death and noted that
he has prepared a will and made plans with relatives to visit him in prison
before he is executed.

If Overstreet is capable of grasping death, he deserves no more consideration
than any other death row inmate. If he isn't, it raises an interesting
philosophical dilemma. Does that add to the cruel and unusual nature of
executing him because the state will inflict on him something he doesn't
understand? Or would it diminish it because it takes away the most agonizing
part of execution, the long wait of dreading what's coming?

As interesting as that dilemma is, another aspect to the case makes
Overstreet's execution even more troubling. If the judge rules against him, he
could be the 1st inmate executed in Indiana since 2009.

With 5 years between executions, no one can claim that the death penalty is a
deterrent in any meaningful sense. That means the only reason to execute
someone is to express our sense of moral outrage, convey the idea that some
crimes are so horrible only the death penalty will do.

You can't be executed Indiana just for killing somebody. You also have to meet
one or more of carefully spelled out aggravating circumstances. The state,
then, intends to kill for only the worst of the worst of the worst crimes.
Clearly, though, it does not always do that.

The state, once in a great while, puts somebody to death just because it can.
Talk about arbitrary and capricious.

(source: Editorial, The News-Sentinel)