[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----COLO., CALIF., WASH., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Mar 21 09:31:52 CDT 2019

March 21

COLORADO:

Lawmakers in Colorado Should Abolish the Death Penalty

In July 2012, Coloradans were devastated by the now-infamous murder of 12
moviegoers in the town of Aurora. Despite the trauma and grief that crime
caused, a local jury 3 years later refused the prosecutor’s request to impose
the death sentence against the convicted perpetrator. At the time, The Denver
Post observed, “The death penalty in Colorado has effectively expired. And it
didn’t happen because of bleeding-heart lawmakers or activist judges. It
happened because juries themselves wanted no part of it.”

Coloradans turned their back on the death penalty in one of the state’s darkest
hours this century. They were right to do so. Now, with a new bill, the state
has the chance to abolish the practice once and for all.

The problems with the death penalty are well known and damning. The practice is
irreparably biased; it delays justice for victims’ families and draws out their
suffering; and it devours millions of law enforcement dollars that would be
better invested where they could actually protect the public — which the death
penalty does not. The death penalty is so broken that even law enforcement
officials have little faith in it.

Police chiefs rank the death penalty last among effective ways to reduce
violent crime. And the data supports this belief. Between 2000 and 2010, the
murder rate in states with capital punishment was 25-46 percent higher than in
states without it. The death penalty does not protect or save lives — it only
takes them. And Coloradans are paying dearly in time and money, to say nothing
of morality, for this ineffective system.

A death penalty trial costs Colorado taxpayers about 15 times the amount of a
life-without-parole trial, and it requires over 6 times more days in court.
Colorado could save $1.5 million a year by eliminating the death penalty. These
monies can and should instead be dedicated to addressing the 1,200 unsolved
murder cases in Colorado.

As Gail LaSuer, a Coloradan whose daughter was murdered, explained, “I would
rather have a larger number of people caught than to have a few executed.”

More important than its cost, the death penalty is profoundly unfair. It is
applied randomly and discriminatorily, and it is imposed disproportionately
upon people of color convicted of murder, people convicted of murdering a white
victim, and people convicted in certain geographic regions of the state. For
example, a person of color in the 18th Judicial District in Colorado is 14
times more likely to face the death penalty than a white person in another
district. A person’s race, the race of the murder victim, and where either
lives should not be what decides who lives and who dies.

On top of this, our criminal justice system fails to protect the innocent from
execution. Colorado executed Joe Arridy, who was proven innocent after
execution and had spent the last seven years before his alleged crime in a
mental institution. The state’s error meant a man lost his life for no reason.
By retaining the death penalty in Colorado, we continue to risk that the
government will execute an innocent person. That should be unacceptable to all
Coloradans.

Extending these harms even further, the death penalty can be traumatic for
correctional employees as well.

Colorado Warden Wayne Patterson was forced to pull the lever himself in an
execution, although he opposes capital punishment. He described the experience
as emotionally wrenching. Numerous wardens, executioners, and correctional
officers suffer from PTSD as a result of their involvement with the death
penalty.

Furthermore, American medical bodies consider participation in executions to be
a breach of ethics. Because of this, prison officials must call on untrained
executioners who often inflict unnecessary pain.

Since the introduction of lethal injection, over 7 % of executions have been
botched, resulting in agonizing deaths. This is not surprising considering the
drugs used in lethal injections have never been validated through medical
testing for use in executions. An unlikely anti-death penalty movement has
arisen in the corporate world as a result.

Unwilling to be complicit in this cruel, unjust system, two dozen companies
have blocked the use of their drugs in lethal injections, including the only
U.S.-manufactured drug used in Colorado executions. Drug companies manufacture
their drugs, as Pfizer recently said, “to enhance and save the lives of the
patients we serve. Consistent with these values, Pfizer strongly objects to the
use of its products as lethal injections for capital punishment.” In response
to action by drug companies, prisons have substituted untested drugs, passed or
attempted to pass secrecy laws barring the public from knowing which drugs are
used, and have asked compounding pharmacies for drugs to use in executions,
although the pharmacies then have no oversight ensuring the efficacy of their
products.

The fact that states are taking extreme and unethical steps to procure untested
drugs to kill people is abhorrent. Taken with everything else we know about the
practice, it is a clarion call for change. State-authorized killing is
inconsistent with the fundamental values of our democratic system. It is often
cruel and unusual in violation of our Constitution, and it can risk torture.

Colorado legislators must vote to end this broken system and stop it from
corrupting the state’s criminal justice system even more than it already has.

(source: aclu.org)

******************

Vote on death penalty repeal on hold in Colorado Senate----Democrat expresses
misgivings about the bill

An expected debate and vote on repealing the death penalty was delayed
Wednesday in the Colorado Senate amid questions about whether it has the votes
to pass.

Democrats have just a 2-vote majority in the Senate, and Aurora Democrat Nancy
Todd, for one, hasn’t decided whether to vote for the repeal. She told The
Denver Post she believes there are problems with the death penalty, but other
factors give her pause.

“I’ve gone back and forth,” Todd said. “I’m a believer that it’s not a
deterrent from keeping people from committing a crime. I believe the appeals
process is extremely expensive and exorbitant. I also take into strong
consideration my colleague, Rhonda Fields. And the fact that the three people
sitting on death row — all happened in my district.”

Fields, whose son was killed by two of the men on death row, is a supporter of
the death penalty, although her “no” vote on the bill would be canceled out by
Henderson Republican Kevin Priola’s support for it.

Todd added that she felt the bill, like several others this session, has been
rushed and is not a priority for voters.

“I would not say the repeal of the death penalty is or should be the top
priority of this session,” she said. “It should not be what defines us.”

Todd’s concern about the speed of the legislative process echoes one of
Republicans’ biggest complaints this session.

State Sen. Angela Williams, one of the bill’s sponsors said she understands her
colleagues’ concerns.

“I’m slowing things down a bit to ensure my colleagues are comfortable before
casting their vote to repeal the death penalty,” Williams, a Denver Democrat,
said in a statement.

The debate has been tentatively rescheduled for April 1.

**********************

Who is on Colorado’s death row?

Three men await execution at the Colorado State Penitentiary while the state’s
political figures debate the future of the death penalty in Colorado.

Nathan Dunlap

Dunlap, 44, was sentenced to death after he was convicted in 1993 of 8 counts
of 1st-degree murder for shootings at a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant in Aurora.
Dunlap was 19 when he gunned down employees, who were closing the business for
the night.

His victims: Ben Grant, 17; Sylvia Crowell, 19; Colleen O’Connor, 17; and
Margaret Kohlbert, 50, died in the shootings. Bobby Stephens survived his
gunshot wounds.

His status: Gov. John Hickenlooper granted “temporary reprieve” to Dunlap in
2013, meaning the execution most likely would not happen during Hickenlooper’s
tenure. Hickenlooper completed his last term in January, and new Gov. Jared
Polis has shown no intention of lifting the reprieve.

Robert K. Ray

Ray, 33, was the mastermind behind the 2005 execution of 2 people who were
going to testify against him in another murder trial in Arapahoe County. Ray
had fired shots during a 2004 party at Lowry Park where Gregory Vann, 20, was
killed and Javad Marshall-Fields was wounded. Ray ordered the killing of
Marshall-Fields and his fiancee, who were witnesses in the Lowry Park shooting.

His victims: Javad Marshall-Fields and Vivian Wolfe, both 22. They were
engaged.

His status: His case is in the appeals process, which is mandated by Colorado
law.

Sir Mario Owens

Owens, 34, was sentenced to death in the same case as Ray. He first was
convicted of murder in 2007 in the death of Vann. The next year, he was
convicted in the killings of Marshall-Fields and Wolfe, both 22, as they were
driving on an Aurora street.

His victims: Javad Marshall-Fields and Vivian Wolfe.

(source for both: Denver Post)

***************

Colorado’s death penalty repeal in holding pattern----Vote margin appears close

Colorado’s Senate has for the second time this week postponed its floor debate
on a bill to repeal the death penalty. The vote is rescheduled for April 1,
after lawmakers iron out the state budget over the next 11 days.

Passage of the bill seemed certain in the Democratic-controlled legislature
until the past week and a half, when a few Senate Democrats quietly signaled
they may not be supporting it.

“It’s close, very close,” Sen. Angela Williams, D-Denver, told The Independent.

Williams and others working to abolish capital punishment cite, among other
reasons, studies showing it doesn’t deter violent crime; the high cost of
taxpayer-funded legal work, and racial inequities in how capital cases are
prosecuted in Colorado. African-Americans make up 4 % of Colorado’s population,
yet all three of the state’s death-row inmates are black. Supporters of the
death penalty have argued this session that the question of repeal should be
referred to voters. Gov. Jared Polis has said would sign a repeal bill and
would commute the sentences of the 3 death row inmates to life in prison.

2 of the 3, Sir Mario Owens and Robert Ray, were convicted and sentenced to die
for the 2005 murders of Javad Marshall Fields and his fiancée, Vivian Wolfe,
days before Fields was scheduled to testify against Ray in connection with
another murder case. Fields’ mother, Sen. Rhonda Fields, D-Aurora, is the most
high-profile opponent of repeal and has been working with district attorneys in
trying to persuade her state Senate colleagues to stand by her in that
position.

Fields, who is African American, dismisses concerns that prosecutors in
Colorado have disproportionately targeted black defendants with capital
prosecution. She says there’s “nothing relevant” about the color of their skin.

“What those death row inmates have in common is that they’re all murderers.
Race has nothing to do with this,” she told The Independent earlier this week.

The state Senate is the main hurdle for the repeal bill because the House has a
wider margin of Democratic control and is considered more liberal.

Senate Democrats who support repeal have been especially quiet this week,
declining to comment publicly as they seek to balance respect for Fields –
their assistant majority leader – and her family with objections to what they
say is an inhumane and outdated state law. Colorado hasn’t carried out a death
sentence since the 1997 execution of convicted murderer Gary Davis by lethal
injection.

Conspicuously silent, at least publicly, is Senate President Leroy Garcia,
D-Pueblo, who notably didn’t sponsor the repeal bill and who has not made clear
where he stands on the issue. Garcia hasn’t responded to our inquiries.

(source: The Colorado Independent))

CALIFORNIA:

Assemblymember Levine Introduces Constitutional Amendment to Abolish
California’s Death Penalty

Assemblymember Marc Levine (D- Marin County) Wednesday led a statewide
coalition of lawmakers in announcing the introduction of Assembly
Constitutional Amendment (ACA) 12, to abolish the death penalty in California.

As introduced, ACA 12 would end California’s failed death penalty in 2020 by
prohibiting a criminal sentence of death and require the re-sentencing of
existing death penalty cases to a sentence of lifetime imprisonment without the
possibility of parole. The constitutional amendment is co-authored by 23
members of the Legislature.

California’s death row is the largest in the United States with 737 condemned
prisoners. Since reinstatement of the death penalty in 1978, California has
executed only 13 individuals, costing taxpayers over $5 billion, nearly 18
times the cost of imprisoning a convicted person for life. African Americans
and Latinos represent 67% of California’s death row population, leading
criminal justice reform advocates to question whether race has been improperly
factored into death penalty sentences. Along with DNA evidence that has proven
the innocence of 150 death row inmates across the nation, there is growing
consensus that the death penalty has failed to achieve its stated public safety
goals and should be abolished.

“California’s death penalty is a failed relic of a failed criminal justice
system,” said Assemblymember Levine. “The death penalty does not deter serious
crime, has been overly applied to minorities and has proven to be an expensive
and flawed exercise in justice. I am proud to stand with many of my legislative
colleagues in calling for an end to the cruel, inhumane and ineffective death
penalty. It is time for California to join a growing number of states and bring
an end to the fatally flawed death penalty once and for all.”

“Governor Gavin Newsom’s executive action today imposing a moratorium on all
state sanctioned executions is a bold, courageous and legally appropriate
decision,” continued Assemblymember Levine. “While the governor’s action will
temporarily halt executions in California, now is the time for the Legislature
and the voters of the state to end the failed death penalty once and for all by
supporting ACA 12. This is a conversation that must include all Californians.”

19 states have abolished the death penalty across the nation.

“Capital punishment is arbitrary, capricious, racist, and routed in systemic
flaws,” said Jessica Jackson, National Director and Co-Founder of #cut50 and
Mill Valley City Councilmember. “We know that people who receive a sentence of
death by capital punishment are overwhelmingly black, brown, and poor — it
epitomizes a 2-tiered system of justice in this country where the rich and
powerful receive leniency while the lives of marginalized people are
undervalued and disposable. Governor Newsom took an important 1st step by
announcing a moratorium on the death penalty in California. I applaud
Assemblymember Levine for taking this important next step to bring a
constitutional amendment on the 2020 ballot to abolish this heinous and unjust
practice. I am hopeful that the good people of California will be on the right
side of history as we end this shameful practice in our state.”

If approved by a 2/3 vote of the Legislature, ACA 12 would require voter
approval and appear on the November 2020 ballot.

(source: Pasadena Journal)

************************

Jury recommends death for Long Beach man in murder of Norma Lopez, 17

A Riverside County jury has recommended that a 42-year-old Long Beach man be
sentenced to death for the 2010 murder of 17-year-old Norma Lopez.

Last week, after a 5-week trial, jurors convicted Jesse Perez Torres of
1st-degree murder and a special circumstance attachment of murder during a
kidnapping.

On July 20, 2010, Lopez went missing as she walked home from summer school in
Moreno Valley. Her body was found in a dirt field 5 days later.

John Hall, a spokesman for the Riverside County District Attorney's Office,
said the jury deliberated for about an hour Wednesday before notifying the
judge they had reached a decision in the penalty phase of the trial.

A sentencing date has not yet been set.

The booking photo of Jesse Perez Torres, who was charged in the July 15, 2010
kidnapping and murder of 17- year-old Norma Lopez in Moreno Valley. Hall said
Torres' attorneys intend to introduce proof that he has an intellectual
disability that disqualifies him from receiving the death penalty per a Supreme
Court ruling that determined it would be inhumane to execute a person with this
kind of disability.

During his closing arguments in the jury trial, Riverside County Deputy
District Attorney Kevin Beecham told jurors: “The DNA is the most important
evidence in this case. It is the most damning evidence we have.”

“He left his DNA all over her ... pants, purse, earring,” Beecham said. “It all
points to the same person. It’s too coincidental to be a coincidence.”

When the incident occurred, Torres lived next door to Valley View High School,
where Lopez had a morning biology class for the summer, Beecher said that
Torres could have observed her leaving campus after the class.

Riverside County’s chief pathologist, Dr. Mark Fajardo, testified during trial
that he could only speculate about how Lopez was killed, but suspected she had
been strangled. Her body was found in an olive grove at the eastern edge of
Moreno Valley, dressed only in jeans.

A security camera from a house near her school captured the last images of
Lopez.

(source: Desert Sun)

*******************

Norma Lopez murder trial: Jury recommends death penalty in Moreno Valley case

A jury is recommending the death penalty for a 42-year-old man found guilty of
1st-degree murder in the 2010 slaying of Moreno Valley teenager Norma Lopez.

The jury's decision for Jesse Torres was announced on Wednesday afternoon. Last
week Torres was found guilty of 1st-degree murder with a special circumstance
of murder during the commission of a kidnapping.

Lopez was walking home from summer classes at Valley View High School on July
15, 2010 when she just disappeared. Her body was found 5 days in a field about
3 miles away.

"The entire city was on edge because a child was kidnapped and murdered, and we
didn't have answers," Bianco said.

The prosecution says DNA on one of her earrings led them to Torres, who lived
near the route Lopez would take to walk home from school. The prosecution says
Torres was "waiting, watching and lusting."

After finding him guilty, the jury had the option of execution or life in
prison without the possibility of parole.

(source: KABC news)

WASHINGTON:

Washington can lead on ending death penalty. But it must take one more step.

California’s new governor channelled his inner Jay Inslee last week when he
shut down the largest death row in America. Gavin Newsom called the death
penalty “inconsistent with our bedrock values” and said it “strikes at the very
heart of what it means to be a Californian.”

We’ll give Newsom credit for strong convictions, if not originality, and accept
that the world seldom notices a West Coast social movement until it takes hold
in California.

Leaders in our state have long known capital punishment is an inherently
wasteful, erratic and morally fraught practice — and that it runs counter to
what it means to be a Washingtonian.

Inslee set the tone in 2014, during his 1st term as governor, when he said no
executions would proceed on his watch. The Washington Supreme Court was next to
lay down a marker, unanimously ruling last fall that the death penalty is
unconstitutional because it’s “arbitrary” and “racially biased.”

All that remains is for lawmakers in Olympia to pass a bill that wipes the
death penalty from state statute and leaves nothing to chance.

The Senate has approved legislation that would make life imprisonment without
possibility of parole the only option for prosecutors pursuing aggravated
1st-degree murder charges. The House should now pick up Senate Bill 5339 and
carry it to the finish line, before the 2019 session runs out.

Some argue legislative action is unnecessary because the death penalty is, for
all practical purposes, dead in Washington. No executions have taken place here
since 2010, and the decrees by Inslee and the Supreme Court ensure none will
happen in the foreseeable future.

But the court left wiggle room for a future Legislature to try to enact a
new-and-improved way to execute the worst of our state’s worst offenders — one
that doesn’t place black defendants at more than quadruple the risk of being
sentenced to death as their white counterparts.

If 50 years of failed fixes have taught us anything, it’s that the death
penalty is beyond repair and lawmakers should abolish it once and for all.

In Walla Walla — home of the Washington State Penitentiary, where 8 men awaited
death by lethal injection before last year’s court ruling, including three for
murders in Pierce County — an in-depth report by the Union-Bulletin newspaper
in 2009 pegged the cost of carrying out the death penalty over three decades at
$20 million.

In that time, 5 men were executed, while countless family members were dragged
through excruciatingly long appeals.

Life without parole is a more cost-efficient punishment, and is no less
effective as a criminal deterrent — especially when you factor in the threat of
solitary confinement for bad behavior that hangs over inmates’ heads.

Meanwhile, Washington residents grapple with uneven application of the law.
Green River killer Gary Ridgway, convicted of slaying 49 young women, wasn’t
sent to death row. Nor was Terapon Adhahn, who abducted and killed 12-year-old
Zina Linnick in 2007, despite saying he’d prefer to die for his crimes against
the Tacoma girl.

To those who fear ending the death penalty signifies Washington leaders are
going soft on hardcore criminals, we beg to differ. A bill this year that
would’ve given some inmates serving life sentences a shot at freedom never made
it out committee. Washingtonians aren’t ready for that conversation.

But they’re more than ready to wash their hands of the state-sanctioned
business of taking people’s lives.

The governor did it. So did the Supreme Court. Legislators should follow their
lead, show our state speaks with one voice on this matter and make clear who
the West Coast’s true progressive leader is when it comes to shedding an
archaic apparatus of injustice.

(source: Tacoma News Tribune)

USA:

Hickenlooper on the death penalty: "I’m against it. It makes no sense."

Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper said Wednesday that he is fully against
the death penalty and would suspend it, if elected president.

“I’m against it,” Hickenlooper said.

“It makes no sense. It’s not a deterrent. It’s expensive. It prolongs misery.
And the worst thing is it is depending on where that crime occurs, and in many
cases, whether the killer is African-American or Latino, that has a lot to do
with who gets tried on a death penalty charge. And the random injustice of that
is something that this country should never stand for.”

CNN’s Dana Bash asked whether Hickenlooper would halt all of the federal
executions as President.

“I have not looked at all the cases, but the vast majority of cases in the
federal death penalty system, I’d have to be suspicious just to start,” he
said. “So, I certainly would suspend the death penalty. ”

(source: CNN)

****************

Beto O’Rourke Supported The Death Penalty As Recently As 2 Years Ago----The
former Texas congressman who’s running for president says he now opposes
capital punishment.

Beto O’Rourke, a former Texas congressman and Senate candidate seeking the
Democratic presidential nomination, said last week that as president he would
suspend capital punishment at the federal level.

But as recently as May 2017, O’Rourke broke with the majority of his Democratic
House colleagues to vote for a bill that expanded the federal “list of
statutory aggravating factors in death penalty determinations” to include the
murder or “targeting” of a law enforcement officer, firefighter or other first
responder.

In effect, the bill, called The Thin Blue Line Act, proposed making it easier
to execute a defendant if they attacked law enforcement. The legislation is one
of a series of bills Republicans have introduced as a political indictment of
the Black Lives Matter movement, which has sought to end unjustified police
killings of black people.

The measure passed the House with 48 Democratic votes. Four Republicans voted
against it.

The bill is far from becoming law. The Senate has not taken it up.

O’Rourke’s stance on the death penalty has evidently changed since 2017. In an
interview with Iowa Radio on Thursday, O’Rourke said he was morally opposed to
the death penalty and would suspend its use at the federal level as president.

“It’s not an equitable, fair, just system right now ? the guarantees and
safeguards against wrongful prosecution, the disproportionate number of people
of color who comprise our criminal justice system,” O’Rourke said. “And on
moral grounds, I oppose the death penalty.”

O’Rourke has endured scrutiny from some progressives for his apparent shift
toward more left-leaning economic views since his time on the El Paso City
Council and over the course of three terms in the House.

But O’Rourke’s evolution on a matter like the death penalty is out of
character. During his 1st House run in 2012, he challenged Rep. Silvestre Reyes
(D-Texas) from the left on criminal justice, arguing for marijuana
legalization. He even entertained full-scale drug decriminalization as a way of
de-escalating violence at the U.S.-Mexico border.

The O’Rourke presidential campaign did not respond to requests for an
explanation of how or why his views on the death penalty evolved in the past 2
years.

Prominent national Democrats’ views on the death penalty have shifted abruptly
to the left in recent years, reflecting growing efforts to expose inequities in
the criminal justice system.

When California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced a moratorium on the death
penalty in the Golden State on March 12, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), whose
presidential bid Newsom has endorsed, quickly heralded the decision.

Other presidential contenders, including Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Cory
Booker (D-N.J.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), have long opposed the death
penalty as well.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), who like Harris, is a former prosecutor, opposes
capital punishment, though she said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday that
she might consider it under extenuating circumstances, such as terrorism.

“I have talked about, when you have a terrorist, and it’s in a national
security realm, looking at it differently,” Klobuchar said. “But overall, for
the people that are in our jails right now, that are ? could be serving life
without parole instead of the expense of having appeal after appeal after
appeal, I would choose life without parole.”

(source: Huffington Post)