[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.H., ALA., OHIO

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed May 23 08:20:21 CDT 2018

May 23

TEXAS:

Dallas DA Will Seek Death Penalty in Home Depot Cop Shooting Case

A Dallas County grand jury has indicted Armando Juarez, the man suspected of
killing Dallas police Officer Rogelio Santander, on a bevy of felony charges
related to the shooting of Santander; Santander's partner, Crystal Almeida; and
Home Depot loss prevention officer Scott Painter on April 24. Dallas County
will seek the death penalty for Juarez, District Attorney Faith Johnson said
Tuesday afternoon.

The grand jury indicted Juarez on 5 felony charges - capital murder of a peace
officer, attempted murder of peace officer, 2 counts of aggravated assault with
a deadly weapon against a public servant and another count of aggravated
assault.

Both aggravated assault against a public servant charges stem from the chase on
which Juarez led police after the shooting, Johnson said Tuesday.

"We considered not only the offense itself. We considered his history. We
considered everything [that led up to the shooting]," Johnson said about her
decision to ask that Juarez be put to death.

Santander and Almeida responded to a call for backup from an off-duty officer
at the Home Depot just after 4 p.m. April 24. As Santander and Almeida
attempted to arrest Juarez, police allege, he shot the 2 officers and Painter.
The off-duty cop was not harmed. Santander died the next day. Both Almeida and
Painter have recovered from their injuries well enough to be released from the
hospital.

Paramedics rushed the 3 victims to Texas Health Presbyterian, but Juarez got
away from the scene in a white Ford F-150. About 5 hours later, police arrested
Juarez after a brief chase near Love Field. He's been in Dallas County jail
ever since.

Johnson estimated Tuesday that it could be 2 years before Juarez came to trial.
At that point, it could be up to John Creuzot, Johnson's Democratic opponent in
November's election, to try the case.

(source: Dallas Observer)

*******************

Prosecutors seek death penalty in killing of Dallas officer

A prosecutor says a man accused of killing a Dallas police officer at a Home
Depot store and seriously injuring 2 others should be sentenced to death.

Armando Luis Juarez was indicted Tuesday on capital murder, attempted capital
murder and other charges in the April 24 shooting. Dallas County District
Attorney Faith Johnson subsequently announced she would seek the death penalty.

Authorities say Juarez was being detained as a shoplifting suspect when he
pulled a handgun and shot 2 police officers and a store security officer.

Officer Rogelio Santander died April 25.

The 2nd officer, Crystal Almeida, and Home Depot employee Scott Painter were
wounded.

Juarez is also charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

An attorney for Juarez hasn't returned a call for comment Tuesday.

Judge booted from death row case after racial comments

On the heels of a number of racially charged comments about African-American
defendants, Harris County Judge Michael McSpadden has been removed from the
appeal of a black death row prisoner.

Defense lawyers in March asked the jurist to recuse himself from the case of
George Curry, who was sentenced to die in 2009 after he was convicted of
killing a teen during a restaurant robbery.

But McSpadden refused, prompting a hearing this month in front of another judge
who agreed to step in and handle the matter.

During the May 1 court appearance, prosecutors did not oppose the request to
remove McSpadden from the case.

"The Harris County District Attorney's Office does not agree with Judge
McSpadden's comments and we will not defend them," spokesman Dane Schiller told
the Houston Chronicle.

"Race has no place in the courtroom."

McSpadden did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

The removal comes months after the long-time jurist sparked outcry with a
controversial explanation of his reasons for not allowing magistrates to grant
cash-free bail bonds. Most defendants, he said, are "tainted" with extensive
criminal histories.

"The young black men - and it's primarily young black men rather than young
black women - charged with felony offenses, they're not getting good advice
from their parents," he told the Houston Chronicle.

"Who do they get advice from? Rag-tag organizations like Black Lives Matter,
which tell you, 'Resist police,' which is the worst thing in the world you
could tell a young black man ... They teach contempt for the police, for the
whole justice system."

Those comments, defense lawyers argued, were enough to raise the appearance of
bias in a case already fraught with racial issues, including claims of jurors
who searched for a hanging tree in downtown Houston during a trial break and a
family history of "racial terror and trauma," according to court filings
earlier this year.

"Although Mr. Curry does not contend that Judge McSpadden harbors actual bias
or prejudice concerning any party, the specific circumstances at issue here
require recusal," the lawyers wrote. "And, because this is a death penalty
case, special caution should be taken to ensure that Mr. Curry's claims are
adjudicated before a tribunal that is, and has the appearance of being,
impartial."

>From a legal standpoint, the appearance of partiality is key, and defense
lawyers pointed to the flurry of news coverage surrounding McSpadden's remarks,
as well as internet comments as evidence of the public perception of bias.

But McSpadden wouldn't agree to remove himself from the case, so the matter
fell to Judge Susan Brown, presiding judge for a 6-county administrative
judicial region.

Brown had the option to grant or deny the recusal motion, hold a hearing, or
assign someone else to hold a hearing, she said. So she called in Judge Sid
Harle from Bexar County to handle it.

Harle approved the recusal, noting that prosecutors didn't oppose it, and that
McSpadden was not the judge who oversaw Curry's original trial, records show.

That judge - Judge Frank Price - could not be handed the case, as he was no
longer on the bench and died last week.

Instead, records show, on May 11 Visiting Judge Leslie Brock Yates was assigned
to the case.

Defense lawyers with the Office of Capital and Forensic Writs, which is
currently handling Curry's appeals, did not offer comment on the case or the
judge's recusal.

The Houston man was convicted in a 2009 Popeye's robbery, when the former fast
food worker strolled in at closing time, wearing a business suit and holding a
gun. Although 2 teenage employees survived the hold-up, 19-year-old Edward
Virappen was killed.

On appeal, Curry's lawyers raised a number of race-related claims, including
arguments that his death sentence was unconstitutional because it was imposed
on the basis of race, and that black defendants are more likely to face
execution. Earlier court filings also claim that the jurors who sentenced Curry
"demonstrated racial animus when they searched for a hanging tree in downtown
Houston during a trial break."

(source: Houston Chronicle)

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

Support the repeal of the death penalty

With all the toxic partisanship, it's encouraging to see bipartisan support in
New Hampshire for a bill to abolish the death penalty.

In both the Senate and the House, Democrats joined with Republicans to vote for
repeal. There are strong reasons to support the repeal:

1. Overwhelming evidence suggests the death penalty is not a deterrent.

2. The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because of
long and costly court battles.

3. The death penalty is applied inconsistently and with a strong racial and
economic bias, and worst of all. ...

4. It is a matter of record that innocent people have been executed.

Yet despite this and despite the bipartisan support for repeal, Gov. Chris
Sununu intends to veto the bill and, as you read this, may already have done
so. Call, write or email the governor and urge him to reconsider.

(source: Letter to the Editor, Richard Backus----Nashua Telegraph)

ALABAMA:

Motion requesting unanimous vote for death penalty denied by judge

A Houston County Judge denied a motion to request prohibition of the death
penalty without a unanimous jury vote.

Defense attorneys David Hogg and Robert Aaron Gartlan filed the motion May 3
for their client, Michael Allen Tharp. State's Attorney Mark Jones filed a
motion stating the Code of Alabama 1975 13A-5-46 (f) clearly sets forth that a
jury recommendation of death must be based on a vote of at least 10 jurors and
the verdict must be in writing specify the vote.

Judge Kevin Moulton denied the motion request for a unanimous vote for the
death penalty Monday. Tharp's jury trial is set to begin Aug. 27.

Tharp previously pleaded not guilty by mental disease. A mental evaluation was
ordered, and in November 2017 Moulton issued an order finding Tharp competent
to stand trial.

Houston County Sheriff's investigators arrested Michael Allen Tharp on Dec. 14,
2012, two days after the slaying and robbery of his stepfather, 68-year-old
Joseph Bernard Hendley.

The shooting happened at a mobile home in the 500 block of North Broad Street
in Cowarts near an intersection with Jordan Avenue, not far from Tharp's home.
According to Houston County Coroner Robert Byrd, Hendley died from multiple
gunshot wounds.

(source: Dothan Eagle)

OHIO:

Lawyers seek review of death sentence for 23-year-old Clayton man

The lawyers fighting the death penalty ordered for a former Northmont High
School student want the Ohio Supreme Court to reconsider its affirmation of the
sentence and scheduling of the execution.

Austin Myers' lawyers said in a motion filed this morning that they want the
state's highest court to overturn the conviction and call a new trial "or in
the alternative that his sentence be modified to life without parole."

Myers, 23, is still apparently the 2nd youngest on Ohio's death row 3 1/2 years
after being sentenced for the murder of childhood friend Justin Back, 18, of
Wayne Twp., Warren County.

Last Thursday, the court affirmed the death penalty for Myers, for the stabbing
death of Back at his home outside Waynesville in January 2014.

The execution was scheduled for July 20, 2022 in the decision.

Warren County prosecutor David Fornshell was pleased with the 7-0 ruling by the
state's highest court.

"The 7-0 decision is always something you like to see," said Fornshell, who
handled the appeal with Assistant County Prosecutor Kirsten Brandt. "That
should give the public some confidence that Mr. Myers received a fair trial and
a just punishment."

Myers, of Clayton, was sentenced to death on Oct. 16, 2014, for Back's murder
during a robbery. Another Clayton man, Timothy Mosley, actually stabbed Back to
death. Myers and Mosley both were 19 years old then.

Mosley received a sentence of life without parole.

Back, a 2013 Waynesville High School graduate, was about to enter the U.S.
Navy.

Fornshell said he anticipated the defense to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court,
rather than seek reconsideration by the Ohio Supreme Court, as a result of the
ruling.

But the motion for reconsideration filed by lawyers Timothy McKenna and Roger
Kirk again pointed out Myers got the death penalty, although Mosley -who
actually stabbed Back to death - was sentenced to life without parole in
exchange for his testimony against Myers.

The motion also urged reconsideration, claiming Myers' Miranda warnings against
self incrimination were incomplete and that he received ineffective
representation during the trial.

"Taken as a whole, Myers' conviction should be vacated and his case remanded
for a new trial. In the alternative, he should be given a life sentence in lieu
of the death penalty as he was not the main offender, was a teenager, and had
mental issues," McKenna and Kirk said in their motion for reconsideration.

Testimony showed that Myers planned the deadly crime, although Mosley
ultimately stabbed Back to death during a struggle with Mosley and Myers on the
floor of the kitchen after a garrote designed to choke Back to death caught on
his chin.

Myers and Back were friends until the 6th grade, when Myers moved to Clayton
and attended Northmont. Testimony indicated Myers was the one who decided they
should target Back's home, unaware the family safe contained only $70 at the
time.

Myers took various steps during 2 days of preparation, including acquiring
septic chemicals he expected would help decompose Back's body, and shot the
body before he and Mosley disposed of it in woods in Preble County.

Last October, when the Ohio Supreme Court scheduled a hearing on Myers' appeal
of the death sentence, he was the second youngest facing the death penalty in
Ohio to Damantae Graham, 20, sentenced to die in a Portage County case.

In their 60-page decision, the justices and Judge Cynthia Rice of the Eleventh
District Court of Appeals, sitting for Justice William O'Neill, rejected
arguments - including questions based on Myers' relative youth - brought by
McKenna and co-counsel Roger Kirk.

(source: Dayton Daily News)

*******************

Ohio death row inmate wants retrial, claiming innocence in slaying of 3

>From the day of his arrest in 1994 for fatally shooting 3 people, Kevin Keith
has proclaimed his innocence. He pointed to alibi witnesses who placed him
elsewhere, an alternative suspect and a host of inconsistencies in the evidence
against him.

Keith's arguments did not stop his conviction and death sentence for killing 2
women and a 4-year-old girl in what prosecutors said was retaliation for his
arrest in a northern Ohio drug sweep. In 2010, then-Gov. Ted Strickland
commuted Keith's sentence to life without parole, citing questions about the
evidence and a "troubling" failure to investigate other suspects.

Still fighting, Keith, now 54, has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to grant him a
new trial based on evidence never heard by a jury. Keith's lawyers say the
personnel file of a state forensics investigator who worked on his case
contains allegations she had a habit of providing police departments answers
they wanted in cases.

Attorneys for Keith, who is black, also say the file shows the investigator was
mentally unstable and used racial slurs against co-workers.

This evidence, attorneys argue, is among several allegations uncovered years
later that a jury never heard, including:

An alternative suspect's statement he was paid to "cripple" the informant
responsible for the drug raid just weeks before the shootings.

Documents showing the same suspect was known during crimes to wear a mask
similar to the one Keith was alleged to have worn that night.

The location of a bullet casing used to implicate Keith may have been wrong.

"There is no way what he got in 1994 is anything close to a fair trial," said
Rachel Troutman, supervising attorney of the State Public Defender Office's
death penalty division.

Killed in the shootings were Marichell Chatman, 24; her 4-year-old daughter,
Marchae; and Marichell's 39-year-old aunt, Linda Chatman.

Richard Warren, Marichell Chatman's boyfriend, survived his injuries and
fingered Keith as the shooter. Keith's attorneys say he was led by
investigators to improperly identify Keith.

2 children survived: Linda Chatman's niece, 6-year-old Quanita Reeves, and
nephew, 4-year-old Quinton Reeves.

The prosecution says a jury already heard much of the information and came to
its own conclusion, one upheld by dozens of courts over the years.

"There is overwhelming evidence of guilt in this case," said Matthew Crall, the
elected prosecutor for Crawford County, about 70 miles (113 kilometers) north
of Columbus.

The Supreme Court is expected to decide on Thursday whether they will hear
Keith's arguments, with an announcement next week. Both sides know it is a long
shot: the court takes a fraction of such petitions. Keith also has cases
pending in lower courts.

At the heart of Keith's latest arguments is the personnel file of Michele
Yezzo, a now-retired forensics analyst with the state Bureau of Criminal
Identification. Keith's attorneys first learned of the file 2 years ago.

Yezzo's "findings and conclusions regarding evidence may be suspect. She will
stretch the truth to satisfy a department," according to a 1989 memo in the
file. Yezzo also had a reputation of giving police answers if they "stroke
her," according to an investigator's handwritten notes elsewhere in the file.

Prosecutors say lower courts properly ruled nothing in Yezzo's personnel file
would have made a difference in the outcome. They also say Yezzo was placed on
administrative leave until she met with a counselor about her interactions with
colleagues, but that was unrelated to her proficiency as an analyst.

They also say Yezzo provided key evidence favoring Keith, that footprints from
the scene did not match his shoes.

Strickland, a Democrat, stopped short in a recent interview of saying Keith is
innocent. But there is no question he deserves a new trial based on problems
with the defense, prosecution and investigation, the former governor said.

"Certainly the way I view this case now, it would have been tragic if Ohio had
taken this man's life," Strickland said.