[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.H., N, J., PENN., FLA., LA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed May 16 08:23:23 CDT 2018

May 16

TEXAS----impending execution

4th execution date arrives for Texas man who says he's innocent

A Texas death row inmate is scheduled to be executed Wednesday - his 4th
execution date in a year. Though advocates and his attorneys still insist on
Juan Castillo's innocence, he's lost all his fights in court and is expected to
be put to death for a 2003 San Antonio murder.

For the 4th time in a year, Juan Castillo has a date with death.

The 37-year-old is scheduled to be executed Wednesday evening for the 2003
robbery and murder of Tommy Garcia Jr. in San Antonio. The execution has been
postponed three times since last May, including a rescheduling because of
Hurricane Harvey, but his case may finally be winding to a close.

Though Castillo's advocates and attorneys insist on his innocence in Garcia???s
murder, there are no pending fights in court, with denials handed down in his
final appeals on Monday. His last chance is for a 30-day stay of execution from
Republican Gov. Greg Abbott.

The Texas Defender Service, a capital defense group who recently picked up
Castillo's case, sent a letter to Abbott Tuesday pleading for the delay to let
its lawyers fully investigate claims they say discredit the prosecution's
evidence against Castillo - including recanted statements and video of police
interrogations that contradict testimony at trial.

"Even in just a few short weeks, our team has uncovered evidence that casts
doubt upon much of the evidence against Juan," wrote Amanda Marzullo, the
group's executive director, in the letter.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals dismissed Castillo's final appeal with
similar claims, though, and prosecutors at the Bexar County District Attorney's
Office remain fully confident that Castillo was the triggerman in Garcia's
murder. Assistant Criminal District Attorney Matt Howard said the death penalty
is always a heavy decision to weigh, but that Castillo is deserving of the
ultimate punishment.

"Understanding the evidence, this was one of those cases where I think the jury
came to the right conclusion" of a death sentence, Howard said.

Prosecutors said Castillo and 3 others lured Garcia to a secluded area to rob
him by promising him sex with 1 of his female accomplices. When Garcia tried to
run, Castillo shot him, according to the accomplices. Castillo was convicted
and sentenced to death in 2005.

A man who bunked near Castillo in the Bexar County jail, Gerardo Gutierrez,
also testified that Castillo had confessed to him about the murder. The
matching testimonies were enough to satisfy a jury, and Castillo was convicted
of capital murder. The 3 others involved in the crime all received lesser
charges and sentences - 1 woman is out on parole, and the other 2 got 40-year
sentences and are eligible for parole within the next 6 years, according to
criminal records.

Castillo's 1st execution date was set for last May, but it was rescheduled for
September, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. The September
execution - set about a week after Hurricane Harvey devastated the Texas coast
- was also delayed at the request of Bexar County District Attorney Nico
LaHood, since some of Castillo's legal team lived in Houston.

It was moved to December, and that time, the courts took action after the
jailhouse informant changed his story.

In 2013, Gutierrez signed an affidavit saying that he lied in his testimony
against Castillo "to try to help myself." The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals
stopped Castillo's December execution because of the affidavit, telling the
trial court to look into the issue of false testimony.

3 days later, the Bexar County court issued its decision: Gutierrez's new
statement saying he lied wasn't credible since his original testimony so
closely matched that from the others who testified against Castillo.

"Gutierrez's 2013 affidavit makes no explanation for how he, while incarcerated
in the Bexar County Adult Detention Center, independently manufactured a
version of events consistent with multiple other witnesses," wrote Judge Maria
Teresa Herr in her quickly produced opinion.

The court of criminal appeals upheld the ruling earlier this year, and again
Castillo was given an execution date of May 16, in line to be the 6th man put
to death in Texas this year.

Castillo's attorneys have admonished the trial court for denouncing Gutierrez's
affidavit without holding an evidentiary hearing or getting information from
Castillo or Gutierrez, claiming the courts denied their client meaningful
consideration on the issue. But the prosecution said the court already had
"extensive background" about the affidavit before it officially reached the
court, which accounted for the rapid decision to reject it, according to
Howard.

Still, Castillo filed a new appeal with claims that the prosecution withheld
evidence and presented false or misleading testimony. The court of criminal
appeals rejected it on procedural grounds without reviewing the merits of his
claims, leaving Castillo's attorneys to turn to their last shot, Abbott.

In the defense's letter to the governor Tuesday, Marzullo wrote that her
organization has recently discovered new evidence that contradicts the original
testimony given at Castillo's trial - specifically, a video of woman who
previously claimed Castillo confessed to her telling police that he had never
told her he was the triggerman and a new statement from a man who now says he
inaccurately testified that Castillo confessed to him. Marzullo also mentioned
a lack of physical evidence connecting Castillo to the murder and the
unreliability of testimony from accomplices and jailhouse informants.

"I am sure that your office is inundated with defense counsel pleas for mercy,"
she wrote to the governor. "Yet, this is a request that I do not enter lightly.
>From the moment of his arrest through clemency, Juan has had a litany of
lawyers who did not fully examine serious questions regarding his guilt."

Abbott usually takes no part in death penalty cases, letting the court's
rulings stand, but he did grant a rare commutation of sentence for Thomas
Whitaker earlier this year, stopping his execution minutes before it was set to
proceed and changing his sentence to life in prison. But that decision came
after an even rarer unanimous decision by the state???s parole board to grant
clemency and change Whitaker's sentence.

On Monday, that parole board unanimously voted to reject Castillo's clemency
petition.

(source: Texas Tribune)

******************************

Executions under Greg Abbott, Jan. 21, 2015-present----32

Executions in Texas: Dec. 7, 1982----present-----550

Abbott#--------scheduled execution date-----name------------Tx. #

33----------May 16-----------------Juan Castillo----------551

34---------June 21----------------Clifton Williams--------552

35---------June 27----------------Danny Bible-------------553

36---------July 17----------------Christopher Young-------554

37---------Sept. 12---------------Ruben Gutierrez---------555

38---------Sept. 26---------------Troy Clark--------------556

39---------Sept. 27---------------Daniel Acker------------557

(sources: TDCJ & Rick Halperin)

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

It's time to abolish the death penalty in New Hampshire

New Hampshire is currently ranked the 3rd-safest state in the nation. It's so
safe, in fact, that the legislature is considering a proposal that would repeal
the use of capital punishment, and instead sentence people convicted of the
very worst crimes to life without parole.

Gov. Chris Sununu, however, has threatened to veto the repeal. He shouldn't.

Given that New Hampshire has reached this safety status without performing an
execution in almost 80 years, lawmakers should strongly consider passing the
repeal, and Gov. Sununu should reconsider his promise to veto. Doing so would
likely increase public safety and minimize future costs to taxpayers.

In the 1976 case of Gregg v. Georgia, the U.S. Supreme Court concluded that by
specifying aggravating circumstances for which the death penalty could apply,
state lawmakers could "minimize the risk of wholly arbitrary and capricious"
executions. Since Gregg, several states - including New Hampshire - have
expanded their lists of aggravating factors, such as committing murders for
hire or committing multiple murders. Narrowing death-penalty-eligible crimes
has allowed states to ensure that the most severe punishment applies only to
the "worst of the worst."

After Gregg was decided, New Hampshire adopted a narrow death penalty statute
that even today applies in a few, specific circumstances. Under this law, the
death penalty can only be sought in cases involving the murder of police and
court officers, judges, murders for hire, or murders connected to drug deals,
rape, kidnapping and home invasions.

Since New Hampshire passed its post-Gregg death penalty statute, few offenders
have faced trial under its provisions; currently, only one man awaits
execution. Prior to his sentence, the state has not executed a single prisoner
since 1939, when Howard Long became the last person to be executed - by hanging
- in the Granite State. The state has since changed its primary method of
execution to lethal injection, but has never adopted a protocol.

Nor did it build any type of death chamber. But now, there are tentative plans
to build one - at an estimated cost of $1.7 million to the taxpayer. It is
critical to note not only the enormous cost of the facility, but that there
would be a distinct possibility of the number of capital offenses increasing if
there were incentive to use a new and expensive facility to house and to
execute prisoners.

Support for abolishing the death penalty in New Hampshire is coalescing among
the citizenry. During the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee
hearing held on April 4, nearly 2 dozen witnesses gave testimony, with those in
favor of the bill outnumbering those opposed by a ratio of 7 to one. For nearly
20 years, the New Hampshire Legislature has attempted to pass legislation to
repeal the death penalty, with the 1st repeal bill passing the House and Senate
in 2000. That effort was vetoed by then-Governor Jeanne Shaheen. It would be
quite a shame if the same result occurred in 2018.

State-to-state comparisons suggest that states without the death penalty are
safer than states that allow capital punishment. In 2016, the average murder
rate in states where the death penalty is legal was 5.4 (per 100,000 people),
while the average murder rate in states without the death penalty was 3.9.
Maine and Vermont - the 1st- and 2nd-safest states in the country, respectively
- both abolished the death penalty decades ago. With New Hampshire being the
only remaining state in New England to allow capital punishment by law,
eliminating the death penalty could likely bolster its public safety to match
that of its neighbors.

Reluctance to implement the death penalty is healthy for our criminal justice
system. State and local governments, with already minimal resources, spend
millions of dollarsprosecuting death penalty cases and maintaining a heightened
level of security ondeath rows. As Ray Samuels, the former Police Chief of
Newark, California, said, "If the millions of dollars currently spent on
thedeath penalty were spent on investigating unsolved homicides, modernizing
crime labs and expanding effective violence prevention programs, our
communities would be much safer."

In debating the abolition of the death penalty in New Hampshire, both lawmakers
and Gov. Sununu should consider that eliminating capital punishment could
increase public safety, and that money that would be used to build a death row
facility and execution chamber could be better spent.

(source: Commentary; Jesse Kelley is a policy analyst and state affairs manager
for criminal justice at the R Street Institute, a nonprofit group aimed at
promoting limited government in Washington----Nashua Telegraph)

*************

Important voices in death penalty debate

I hope the governor heard or read the recent messages addressed to him from the
press conference at the Legislative Office Building in Concord. Richard
O'Leary, 33-year veteran of the Manchester Police Department; Bill McGonagle,
former assistant commissioner for the N.H. Department of Corrections; and Paul
Lutz, former lieutenant with the Derry Police Department make it clear that the
death penalty does not support law enforcement. They said the millions New
Hampshire would have to spend on executing a death sentence will be better
spent actually supporting law enforcement. I hope that Gov. Chris Sununu will
reconsider his veto decision.

DAVID ERIKSON

Weare

(source: Letter to the Editor, Concord Monitor)

NEW JERSEY:

Passage Theatre presents play telling stories of minors sentenced to die in
prison----"Life, Death, Life Again: Children Sentenced to Die in Prison" is a
verbatim theater piece by Elizabeth Weill-Greenberg, that shares the stories of
4 people sentenced to die in prison for violent crimes committed as children.

For as long as she can remember, playwright Elizabeth Weill-Greenberg has
opposed the death penalty.

"Even when I was little, and my dad first told me about the death penalty, I
couldn't believe our own government would execute anyone," she said. "It always
seemed inherently wrong. I am not religious, but one thing I believe is that we
all have an innate humanity that should be respected."

The United States is the only country in the world that sentences children to
die in prison. Weill-Greenberg questions the justice of this in "Life, Death,
Life Again: Children Sentenced to Die in Prison." The documentary play shares
stories of people sentenced to die in prison for violent crimes committed as
children, as well as the story of a victim's son who chose to forgive. It will
be performed at Passage Theatre at Mill Hill Playhouse Thursday at 7 p.m. Free
tickets can be reserved here.

"By hearing the voices of children impacted by this policy, as well as those
who have reconciled with the young person who caused harm, we can begin to
imagine a justice system rooted in restoration and possibility, not destruction
and hopelessness," said New Jersey Assemblywoman Verlina Reynolds Jackson. She
will participate in the post-play discussion, along with a pastor, police,
assistant public defender, Weill-Greenberg and others.

Between 2014 to 2017, Weill-Greenberg interviewed people who committed violent
crimes as children and were sentenced to die in prison, as well as the families
of victims of violent crime who forgave the killers of their loved one. 4 of
those stories are presented in "Life Death, Life Again," which is being
produced by coLAB Arts, a New Brunswick-based nonprofit seeking to create more
livable, sustainable environments through art.

The play tells the stories of:

Bill Pelke, the founder of Journey of Hope: From Violence to Healing, an
organization made up of murder victim families who oppose the death penalty. In
1985 Pelke's grandmother was murdered by 4 teenage girls. One, Paula Cooper, 15
at the time, was sentenced to death. While Pelke first supported the sentence,
he came to forgive her and worked to overturn her sentence. Cooper was released
in 2013; 2 years later, she took her own life.

Sean Taylor who, at 17, shot at a house and killed 1 of its occupants. In 1990,
he was sentenced to life in prison but was released in 2011. During his
incarceration he left the gang he had joined at 14, and committed to
transforming his life.

Joe (because he has an active legal case and is still incarcerated, his name
and certain identifying details have been changed) who, in the 1990s at age 14,
shot the homeowner of a house he had broken into. He was sentenced to life in
prison, but is one of thousands affected by the 2016 U.S. Supreme Court
decision Montgomery v. Louisiana, which held that a mandatory life sentence
without parole should not apply to juveniles convicted of murder.

Underwritten with a grant from the New Jersey Council for the Humanities, "the
play is for people to hear these stories and look past headlines of cruel acts
of violence," said Weill-Greenberg. "It's important to share these stories, to
show that these are real people."

Weill-Greenberg, director of communications for the New Jersey Institute for
Social Justice, lectures on wrongful convictions at Rutgers. She has also
worked as a case analyst for the Innocence Project, an organization that uses
DNA testing to exonerate the wrongly convicted.

During this work, she attended a conference in which exonerees performed
monologues about the inhumanity of their incarceration and found herself crying
along with the others.

"I kept thinking, do we only care because they're innocent? Would this
inhumanity be acceptable if they were guilty? We shouldn't condemn anyone to
die in prison, particularly children," she said. "Giving them a 2nd chance at
life doesn't necessarily mean you're undermining the value of the victim's
life, which is why I also tell a story of forgiveness in the play."

'You do not respond to violence with violence'

Feeling powerless to stop something her heart considered wrong, and guilty for
not doing more, Weill-Greenberg worked on the play nights, weekends and while
her son slept. She had never written anything like this before. After many
rewrites, she posted on Facebook, "Does anyone know how to get a play
produced?"

Among the contacts offered was the one at coLAB.

Her son is now 5, and while she has attempted to broach the subject she feels
passionate about with him, Weill-Greenberg finds he's more interested in
superheroes than in people going to jail.

"I try to gently explain, 'Mommy doesn't believe people should be caged when
they make mistakes.' He'll come to these thoughts on his own, and may not have
my views. My husband and I can only share our views."

So what, then, would she describe to her son as an appropriate form of justice
for juveniles who have committed lethal crimes?

"We can look to other countries with more humane systems, in which dignity and
respect are part of the programming, and the goal is return to the community."

She points to Germany, where inmates are permitted to wear their own clothes,
cook their own meals and have romantic visits, and the focus is on
rehabilitating prisoners so they can return to society. Wardens are often
professional psychologists and emphasize therapy over security.

At Norway's Halden Fengsel, often called the world's most humane
maximum-security prison, there are no coils of razor wire, no lethal electric
fences, no towers manned by snipers, and yet no prisoner has ever tried to
escape. There is no death penalty and no life sentencing in Norway.

"Our system is based on banishment," said Weill-Greenberg. "One of the elements
of restorative justice is some kind of reconciliation between the person who
has caused the crime and the person who has suffered."

How does one find forgiveness for a brutal act that is clearly wrong and takes
away the life of another?

"Bill talks about how it's totally a normal emotion to feel angry after a
violent death," she said. "It's normal to feel you want vengeance. He didn't
forgive right away, at first he supported the death penalty but eventually he
forgave."

A self-described pacifist and atheist, Weill-Greenberg said she is called to
this work. "No matter what the circumstances, you do not respond to violence
with violence. Sanctioned violence is the most immoral kind of violence there
is."

"Life, Death, Life Again" is being performed at Passage Theatre during its run
(through Sunday) of "Caged," written and performed by the New Jersey Prison
Cooperative and about a family's struggles to overcome poverty, and their
experiences in and out of prison.

(source: whyy.org)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Prosecutors will seek death penalty against prisoner accused of killing
cellmate

A former SCI-Somerset inmate already serving a life prison sentence for 1
murder could now face the death penalty for killing a cellmate in January.

Prosecutors announced Monday they will seek capital punishment against
25-year-old Dale Wakefield, saying he heinously tortured fellow inmate Joshua
Steven Perry, tying him up with a piece of bed sheet and partially removing his
ear - before tossing his body underneath a bunk bed inside their cell.

"He's already serving a life sentence. What other penalty could this defendant
face, if not the death penalty?" Somerset County District Attorney Lisa
Lazzari-Strasiser said.

"There isn't another (option)."

Wakefield arrived in court in an orange jumpsuit and prison shackles for his
formal arraignment and told Somerset County President Judge D. Gregory Geary he
still plans to represent himself, despite the fact he is entitled to
court-appointed attorneys for both the trial and, potentially, the death
penalty phase.

Geary reminded him that legal representation could be provided to him at no
cost, but Wakefield indicated he had no intention of allowing anyone to
represent him who was appointed by the court system.

Then, he asked Geary if the court could provide him with a copy of the Rules of
Criminal Procedure lawbook, so he could prepare his case inside his jail cell.

"I'm only being allowed 2 hours a week to access the law library - that's not a
meaningful amount of time to get my defense in order," said Wakefield, who is
being lodged at SCI-Greene, a maximum security state prison.

Geary responded that, if necessary, court filing deadlines can be extended.

That was a matter for another day, the judge said, telling Wakefield he was
only in court Monday to be arraigned on his charges, which include criminal
homicide, aggravated assault and assault by a prisoner.

Wakefield was charged by state police after prison personnel found Perry
deceased underneath a bed.

Perry suffered from a head injury and his ear was "almost completely removed,"
the district attorney said. His hands and feet were tied with remnants of a
sheet.

Another piece of cloth was wrapped around his neck, which was severed, she
said.

Prosecutors were entitled to seek the death penalty against him because he has
already been convicted of killing another person. But Lazzari-Strasiser said 3
other "aggravating factors" also apply:

-- The crime was committed by someone serving a life prison sentence;

-- The crime was committed by means of torture;

-- Wakefield allegedly committed the killing while in the perpetration of a
felony.

Wakefield is serving a life sentence for the 2013 stabbing death of a
71-year-old homeless man. Investigators said he used a pocket knife to stab
Army veteran George Mohr more than 70 times in a Bucks County bus shelter.

If convicted of 1st-degree murder in Perry's death, Wakefield would face a
separate court proceeding to determine if he should be placed on death row -
the state's highest level of punishment.

Geary took time to remind Wakefield of the magnitude of those ramifications
Monday in court.

The judge has appointed a standby attorney to appear at legal proceedings, in
case Wakefield needs someone at an advisory level, but such assistance is
limited.

"You certainly are entitled to represent yourself. The court is obligated to
allow you to represent yourself," Geary said. "But what we are not obligated to
do is cushion you from all of the negative impacts of your decision."

While the move is somewhat rare, defendants have represented themselves in
capital murder cases before in Pennsylvania, Lazzari-Strasiser said.

She said it can lead to complications and trial schedule delays.

"But we certainly want to allow him to have his Constitutional right," she
said.

Wakefield has begun filing pretrial motions in the case and has 2 weeks to file
a request for "discovery" materials, such as police reports and written
statements, that prosecutors may use in the case against him.

A trial date has not yet been set.

(source: alliednews.com)

FLORIDA:

A year after guilty verdict, sentencing for man facing death penalty remains
unscheduled

More than a year after a jury recommended he be sentenced to death in the
murder of an elderly woman, Juan Rosario's sentencing has yet to be scheduled.

He was convicted of 1st-degree murder in the 2013 death of Elena Ortega, 83,
whose home prosecutors said he was robbing.

Last week Rosario fired one of his court-appointed attorneys, Roger Weeden.
Another attorney, Marc Burnham, was appointed in his place and now has to learn
as much as he can about the case before Rosario's yet-unscheduled sentencing
hearing. In that hearing, Circuit Judge Leticia Marques will decide whether to
abide by a jury's unanimous recommendation to sentence Rosario to death or
whether other factors should override their proposed sentence and instead give
him life in prison without parole.

"I have to go out and talk to the survivors of this family - again - and tell
them - again - that we have to wait," Assistant State Attorney Ryan Williams
said in court Tuesday.

He suggested Marques schedule the hearing for June 11, the 1st available full
day he found on her calendar.

"I don't mean to posture but if it's set June 11, or anywhere near that, you
can expect my motion to withdraw," Burnham said Tuesday morning. He noted that
only 3 full business days have passed since he was assigned to the case last
Wednesday. In that time he has not gotten all the evidence from the last
attorney, nor has he seen a transcript of last year's trial, he said.

Marques did not schedule the sentencing at Tuesday's hearing, during which
Rosario also asked to have the judge removed from his case, writing a motion to
disqualify Marques on a notepad at the defense table. Marques said she'll
review anything formally filed with the court.

(source: Orlando Sentinel)

**********************

Governor candidate Chris King opposes death penalty, supports legal pot

If elected governor, Chris King said Tuesday, he would fight to outlaw capital
punishment and refuse to sign death warrants.

An underdog candidate in a crowded primary with 3 other Democrats, King of
Winter Park released his plans to end the death penalty as part of a broader
set of criminal justice reforms.

As governor, King said he will seek to repeal the death penalty legislatively
and work with Cabinet members to commute death sentences to life in prison.
Both options would likely face fierce resistance in a GOP-dominated Legislature
and a Cabinet that has had one Democratic member in 20 years.

But King also said he would refuse to sign death warrants - essentially putting
a moratorium on capital punishment in Florida as long as he held office.

Other criminal justice reform proposals proposed by King include legalizing
marijuana, setting a goal of reducing incarceration rates by 50 % in 10 years
by eliminating mandatory minimums for non-violent offenders, ending contracts
with private prison companies and putting more money toward education and
criminal justice programs.

"Florida needs fresh ideas and new leadership to reform its broken criminal
justice system," King said. '"Turning the tide' means reforming a system that
needlessly criminalizes tens of thousands of nonviolent men and women in
Florida. I reject the conventional politics of just seeking incremental change
- we've got to fight for bold, progressive ideas to make our justice system
fair while keeping Floridians safe."

Despite support among Gov. Rick Scott and fellow Republican legislative
leaders, the politics of the death penalty has undergone a significant shift in
the past 2 years.

In January 2016 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Florida's capital punishment
laws, which allowed a judge to make the final sentence upon the recommendation
of a jury, was unconstitutional. The decision sent the case back to the Florida
Supreme Court, which found in October 2016 that a unanimous jury was required
to issue a death sentence.

The murky statusput a de facto moratorium on capital punishment while the case
made its way through the courts. Still, Scott has signed 27 death warrants, the
most of any Florida governor since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976,
including 4 since the October 2016 ruling.

(source: Orlando Sentinel)

LOUISIANA:

Robert McCoy facing death penalty in 2nd trial

The Bossier Parish District Attorney is preparing for the retrial of a local
man who is once again facing the death penalty. This comes after the U.S.
Supreme Court grants a new trial for Robert McCoy.

McCoy will be back in Bossier Parish by the end of this week. He's currently on
death row in Angola and will be transported to Bossier Max.

A jury found McCoy guilty of killing his estranged wife's mother, stepfather
and son in 2008. He was sentenced to the death penalty.

McCoy claims his constitutional rights were violated because his former
attorney pushed for a 2nd degree murder conviction, to spare McCoy's life.

The Bossier DA says he's confident he'll get another murder conviction during
the 2nd trial and will seek the death penalty.

Schuyler Marvin says, "Yes this is definitely a death penalty case. This is the
only time I've ever asked for the death penalty, since I've been elected. It is
what the death penalty is made for."

According to Marvin, in the next couple of weeks there will be hearings to
determine who will represent McCoy during his 2nd trial. He hopes to have the
trial started by the end of this year.

Marvin went to Washington D.C. in January to argue the case before the Supreme
Court. He says the court's decision wasn't unexpected.

(source: arklatexhomepage.com)

****************

Can a Lawyer Declare His Client Guilty?----The Supreme Court considered whether
lawyers can decide what is best for clients and ignore their wishes.

On a television lawyer show - take The Good Fight, the best of the genre
currently available - a legal case is all about the lawyers. In a typical
episode, for example, lawyer Lucca Quinn must prove her client's innocence,
safeguard her job at her law firm, keep up with her pregnancy-related back
exercises, win the respect of a tough federal judge, and protect as best she
can her relationship with the former prosecutor - who happens to be the father
of her unborn child. She usually succeeds brilliantly.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot - her client gets off. Sometimes.

Young lawyers learn early - in clinical training or in practice - that the
actual practice of law isn't much like The Good Fight. The client, not the
lawyer, is the center of a case: A lawyer offers advice, and decides on trial
strategy, but in the end, the key decisions are the client's, not the lawyer's,
to make. In a criminal case, those key decisions are whether to plead guilty,
whether to seek a jury trial, whether to testify, and, if convicted, whether to
appeal.

In our system, those decisions are too important to be left to a 3rd party. As
a very fine criminal-defense lawyer I knew used to say to his clients, "When
this case is done, it's going to be a file in my office - but it's going to be
your life."

I don't know whether Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg or Justice Samuel Alito of the
Supreme Court watch The Good Fight, but if so, I suspect each sees a different
story. At least that's the conclusion I would draw from McCoy v. Louisiana, the
bizarre death penalty case decided Monday by the Supreme Court. In ordinary
English, here is the question it posed: If a defendant says he is not guilty,
and refuses to plead guilty, can the lawyer nonetheless tell the jury, "My
client is guilty"?

Ginsburg, joined by 5 other members of the Court, said no; Alito, joined by
Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch said, in effect, Why not, if the
client won't see reason?

In fairness, the lawyer, Larry English, is a very sympathetic figure. He
conceded guilt because he was trying to save his client, Robert McCoy, from
almost certain death. McCoy, by contrast, seems like a killer with serious
mental problems.

But, as Ginsburg and the majority pointed out, a Louisiana "sanity commission"
found McCoy competent to stand trial. The definition of "competence" in this
context, given in a Supreme Court case called Godinez v. Moran, is "sufficient
present ability to consult with his lawyer with a reasonable degree of rational
understanding." English obviously suspected that determination was wrong, but
because he was McCoy's lawyer, it was binding on him.

Here are the facts. In 2008, someone shot to death the mother, stepfather, and
son of Yolanda McCoy, Robert McCoy's estranged wife. On the night of the
murders, McCoy's mother-in-law was heard on a 911 call screaming, "She ain't
here, Robert!" - followed by shots. Police saw someone who looked like McCoy
driving away from the scene in McCoy's car. The suspect abandoned the car and
got away, but in the car was a receipt for the ammunition used in the killings.
Surveillance footage showed McCoy buying those bullets on the day of the
murder. 2 people testified that he had admitted at least 1 of the killings to
them.

Once McCoy was arrested and charged, however, he told a story familiar to
anyone who has even dipped a toe into criminal practice: He wasn't there; he
was out of town; it was a frame-up; it was a conspiracy; the police did it
themselves just to get him.

In those circumstances, English understandably thought the only real question
was whether his client would get the death penalty or life in prison. He tried
to convince McCoy to admit guilt, then allow English to put on evidence of his
mental illness, and hope for a merciful jury. It's hard to fault that
professional judgment, but McCoy wouldn't have it. "I did not murder my
family," he said. English tried to withdraw as counsel, but the trial judge
refused. "You are the attorney," the judge said. "You have to make the trial
decision of what you're going to proceed with."

When the trial began, English told the jury:

My client committed 3 murders ... the evidence that will be put on that screen,
that will come from that stand will say that he did it. Mr. McCoy has seen that
evidence, but yet he -- in all of his soul he does not believe he committed
these crimes ... But in layman terms, Mr. McCoy is crazy, ladies and gentlemen.

McCoy later took the stand and told the jury his incredible story, while
English argued that he was mentally ill and unable to form the "specific
intent" needed for capital murder. The jury found him guilty; after hearing
evidence about his mental state, it sentenced him to death.

The Supreme Court Monday set the conviction aside. Ginsburg analyzed the issue
as involving a client's "autonomy to decide ... the objective of the defense."
She explained:

Counsel may reasonably assess a concession of guilt as best suited to avoiding
the death penalty, as English did in this case. But the client may not share
that objective. He may wish to avoid, above all else, the opprobrium that comes
with admitting he killed family members. Or he may hold life in prison not
worth living and prefer to risk death for any hope, however small, of
exoneration. ... When a client expressly asserts that the objective of "his
defen[s]e" is to maintain innocence of the charged criminal acts, his lawyer
must abide by that objective and may not override it by conceding guilt.

When McCoy insisted that he did not commit the murders, Ginsburg said, "a
concession of guilt should have been off the table."

In his dissent, Alito told the story through the lens of English's dilemma.

Petitioner availed himself of his right to take the stand to tell his wild
story. Under those circumstances, what was English supposed to do? ... The
result of mounting [McCoy's] conspiracy defense almost certainly would have
been disastrous. That approach stood no chance of winning acquittal and would
have severely damaged English's credibility in the eyes of the jury, thus
undermining his ability to argue effectively against the imposition of a death
sentence ... So, again, what was English supposed to do?

The answer to that, though painful, is clear. English wasn't obligated to tell
the jury to believe McCoy. He didn't have to argue himself that McCoy wasn't
guilty; he could confine his own argument to the mental-state part of the case.
(As Alito put it, he could have said, "I submit to you that my client did not
have the intent required for conviction" of capital murder.) But he couldn't
keep McCoy off the stand. And he couldn't say, "Don't believe him. He's
guilty."

The case is agonizing, because McCoy probably shouldn't have been allowed to
stand trial; once found competent, he insisted on marching to his doom. But the
legal question, to me, doesn't seem hard. McCoy v. Louisiana is the story of
McCoy, and the story of the victims he slaughtered. Even though it put Larry
English through the wringer, it was not his story.

Alito is absolutely right that McCoy didn't know his own best interests. The
logical result of his opinion, however, would be a system where lawyers decide
what is best for clients and ignore their wishes - where, in effect, a defense
lawyer acts as judge and jury.

Even Lucca Quinn doesn't do that.

(source: The Atlantic)