[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.H., GA., FLA., LA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu May 3 08:42:34 CDT 2018

May 3

TEXAS----impending execution

Texas Gives Juan Castillo Execution Date of May 16, 2018

Juan Edward Castillo is scheduled to be executed at 6 pm CDT, on Wednesday, May
16, 2018, at the Walls Unit of the Huntsville State Penitentiary in Huntsville,
Texas. 37-year-old Juan is convicted of the murder of 19-year-old Tommy Garcia,
Jr., on December 3, 2003, in San Antonio, Texas. Juan has spent the last 12
years of his life on Texas' death row.

Juan had previously worked as a cook and a laborer. He was previously convicted
of deadly conduct with a firearm. During the trial, witnesses also testified
that Juan was a violent man, threatening and beating the mother of his child.
Additionally, he had previously shot a man during a road rage incident, boasted
about similar crimes, and bragged about committing home invasions and
robberies.

In December 2003, Juan Castillo was dating Debra Espinosa. Late on December 2,
and during the early morning hours of December 3, 2003, the couple was with
Francisco Gonzales, a friend of Castillo, and Gonzales' girlfriend Teresa
Quintero. The 4 of them created a plan to rob Tommy Garcia, Jr., with whom
Espinosa had previously been intimate.

Espinosa was to take Tommy to secluded spot in a residential neighborhood in
San Antonio, Texas. Castillo and Gonzales, in masks and armed with guns, would
storm the car and rob Tommy. Espinosa would play along, as if she were a victim
too. Quintero would serve as the get away driver from Castillo and Gonzales.
During the ensuing robbery, Tommy was shot and killed by Castillo, according to
the others.

Gonzales was arrested by the police as he fled from the scene, with Espinosa
arrested a short time later. Both agreed to testify against Castillo in
exchange for a reduced charge and a sentence of 40 years in prison. Gonzales
and Espinosa testified that Castillo took the lead in planning the robbery.
They also testified that he was the person who shot and killed Tommy.

Some of Gonzales's family members also testified that they heard Castillo
confess to the crime and speak of how he hid the evidence. 2 of Tommy's friends
testified that they were with him when he received a phone call to meet up with
Espinosa. Shortly thereafter, they received a phone call from a hysterical
Espinosa, who said that Tommy had been shot. Castillo had also been seen
wearing a distinctive necklace that Tommy had been wearing the night he was
killed.

Castillo was convicted. During the punishment phase of the trial, Castillo
elected to represent himself, a move that was allowed after the court
determined Castillo was making a knowing and voluntary decision. His 2
appointed attorneys remained as stand-by counsel. Castillo was sentenced to
death.

Juan Castillo was previously scheduled to be executed on Thursday, September 7,
2017. His execution was delayed at the request of the Bexar County District
Attorney's Office. They requested that Juan's execution be rescheduled due to
the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey days before. In their request, the
Bexar County District Attorney's Office noted that several members of Juan's
legal defense lived and worked in the Houston area, which was hit particularly
hard by the hurricane, with torrential rain and flooding. The request was
granted and the execution rescheduled for December 14, 2017. The December
execution was stayed by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in order to all
time to investigate false testimony. Ultimately, it was ruled that the
testimony of the witness who recanted was not pivotal to the case.

Please pray for peace and healing for the family of Tommy Garcia. Please pray
for strength for the family of Juan. Please pray that Juan is innocent, lacks
the competency to be executed, or should not be executed for any other reason,
that evidence will be presented prior to his execution. Please pray that Juan
may come to find peace through a personal relationship with the Lord, if he has
not already.

(source: theforgivenessfoundation.org)

**************

Death penalty conviction overturned in Houston cop killer case

Former death row inmate Alfred Dewayne Brown was released in 2015 and his 2005
conviction was overturned, but Harris County District Attorney, Kim Ogg
announced that the case was back under review Wednesday.

Ogg has appointed attorney John Raley to review the case and said in a
statement that "Prosecution is a search for the truth. John Raley has the
experience and independence to review all the evidence. Raley has been retained
to perform an independent review regarding Alfred Dewayne Brown's claim of
"actual innocence" in the crime and will present findings and recommendations
to the District Attorney's Office."

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals threw out Brown's conviction for killing
veteran Houston police officer Charles R. Clark because the Harris County
District Attorney's office apparently withheld crucial evidence including phone
records that proved favorable to Brown's case.

It turns out the records surfaced in 2014 when a homicide investigator was
cleaning out his garage.

Brown was granted a new trial by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals which
ruled that the state failed to disclose phone records supportive of Brown's
alibi.

Raley is a trial lawyer with the Houston-based commercial litigation firm of
Raley & Bowick, LLP.

He is recognized nationally by prosecutors and defense lawyers for his work in
actual innocence cases. His 7-year fight to free Michael Morton led to the Act
bearing Morton's name requiring prosecutors to share their complete
investigation with defense lawyers.

(source: cw39.com)

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

Majority has spoken on death penalty

On Friday, the N.H. House joined the N.H. Senate in support of Senate Bill 593
to repeal the death penalty. Outside the State House, standing in the rain, a
cross-section of New Hampshire citizens - young, old, in-between, a murder
victim's mother - all expressed their support for this common-sense action.
Please urge Gov. Chris Sununu to accept the overwhelming support for SB 593 and
sign it - or at least let it become law without his signature. It's the right
thing to so and now is the time to do it.

DICK LUDDERS

Henniker

(source: Letter to the Editor, Concord Monitor)

GEORGIA----stay of impending execution

Parole board stays execution set for Thursday

The Georgia parole board has issued a stay for a condemned inmate who was
scheduled to be executed Thursday.

Robert Earl Butts Jr. was scheduled to die Thursday evening at the state prison
in Jackson. The State Board of Pardons and Paroles on Wednesday evening issued
a stay of up to 90 days to further consider the case.

Board spokesman Steve Hayes said the board decided to issue a stay because of
"the considerable amount of additional information' it had received in the
case. He said the board will issue a decision during the stay or at the end of
the 90 days. The parole board is the only authority in Georgia with the power
to commute a death sentence.

Butts and 41-year-old Marion Wilson Jr. were convicted and sentenced to death
in the March 1996 slaying of Donovan Corey Parks in central Georgia. The 2 men
asked Parks for a ride outside a Walmart store and then ordered him out of the
car and fatally shot him a short distance away.

(source: The Daily Journal)

FLORIDA----new death sentence

Judge sentences Cherish Perrywinkle's killer to death----Donald Smith was
convicted in February of murder, sexual battery & kidnapping

Circuit Judge Mallory Cooper followed a jury's recommendation and sentenced
Donald Smith to death Wednesday in the 2013 rape and murder of 8-year-old
Cherish Perrywinkle.

Cooper, who came out of retirement to see the high-profile case through, handed
down the death penalty for Perrywinkle's murder and life sentences for the
remaining counts.

"May God have mercy on your soul," the judge told Smith.

Earlier, Cooper denied motions from Smith's defense attorneys that sought a new
trial and new penalty phase for their client, on the grounds that he did not
receive a fair trial.

Rayne Perrywinkle, Cherish's mother, was visibly emotional in court. She waited
almost 5 years to hear the sentencing of the man who murdered her daughter.

"It's overwhelming. It's like I never thought this day would come, and now it's
here," Perrywinkle said. "I don't move forward, I just exist now. I want to
fight for children. That's the only thought going through my head."

Perrywinkle said she wants stronger laws to keep predators in prison.

"I had no clue he was a predator. He was let out for 21 days before he did
this," Perrywinkle said. "Everyday I'm reminded by what he's done. It's not
fair."

Jurors recommended in February that Smith, 61, be put to death for his crimes
after finding him guilty of 1st-degree murder, sexual battery and kidnapping
charges in the little girl's slaying.

Nearly 5 years after the tortured body of 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle was
found discarded in the woods behind a church on Jacksonville's Northside, her
killer is set to learn his fate Wednesday.

Jurors in February convicted Smith, 61, of 1st-degree murder, sexual battery
and kidnapping charges in the high-profile 2013 killing that shook the
Jacksonville community to its core.

In court Wednesday, Cooper is also anticipated to rule on a pair of motions
filed the day before by Smith's defense attorney seeking a new trial and a new
penalty phase for his client.

Attorney Charles Fletcher argued prosecutors compromised Smith's right to a
fair trial and sentencing hearing, citing remarks made by State Attorney
Melissa Nelson in an interview with News4Jax.

During the March 29 interview, Nelson said the "case is among the worst of the
worst," so it was important to "send a message that the highest levels of the
office were behind the prosecution."

Fletcher said that statement, which he characterized as inviting jurors or the
judge to send a message with its verdict or sentence, were not proper according
to state law.

In court filings, Fletcher listed a dozen reasons why his client deserves a new
trial. Among them were "inflammatory" statements made by Assistant State
Attorney Mark Caliel during closing arguments.

"From the grave, she's crying out to you: 'Donald Smith raped me,'" Caliel told
jurors while holding up DNA evidence, according to a copy of the motion for a
new trial.

Fletcher also argued the venue that several pieces of evidence should have been
left out, including a recorded jailhouse chat Smith had with another inmate
indicating he was sexually attracted to children.

But trial observer Randy Reep, an attorney who is not affiliated with the case,
disagreed with Fletcher's arguments and expressed doubt that they would hold up
in court.

For one, Reep said it's unlikely Cooper would have been influenced by Nelson's
interview with News4Jax. He did acknowledge that while Caliel's statement did
not cross the line, it came close.

"I don't think they are out of line the way they navigated it, but it's awfully
close," he said. " ... When you are asking a jury, by their emotions, to do
things they wouldn't necessarily do on the facts."

(source: news4jax.com)

LOUISIANA:

Senate bill looks to change Louisiana law on non-unanimous jury verdicts

A bill moving through the Louisiana legislature could change the way juries in
felony cases reach a verdict.

Senate bill 243, authored by Sen. J.P. Morrell (D-New Orleans), would require
unanimous verdicts in felony cases. As the law stands now, only 10 of 12 jurors
need to agree. Louisiana is 1 of only 2 states that don't require a unanimous
decision, Oregon being the other. But, it's the only state that allows a 10 out
of 12 vote in murder cases, with the exception of death penalty trials.

"I just made it a personal commitment that I would do everything I could to see
that this law was repealed," said Ed Tarpley, a former district attorney in
Grant Parish and a current criminal defense attorney in Central Louisiana.

After 35 years practicing law, Tarpley said it took a book called "Jim Crow's
Last Stand" to open his eyes to the origins of the state's non-unanimous jury
verdict law.

"This was something that was shameful and disgraceful that Louisiana had a law
like this and that it affected the lives of thousands and thousands of people,"
he said.

Last week, Tarpley testified in favor of SB 243, that would require unanimous
verdicts in felony cases. As the law stands now, you can be convicted of a
felony, or acquitted for that matter, in Louisiana if 10 out of 12 jurors say
so.

A house committee unanimously supported the bill last week. It was a shock
given that the bill has been opposed by nearly all of the district attorneys in
the state.

"When the vote was called for and the chairman asked if there was any
opposition and there was no opposition, we were stunned," said Tarpley.

Tarpley's argument is that the current law has Jim Crow era origins. In the
debate over the state's 1974 constitution, no argument about the law was made
about race. Instead, the debate focused on judicial efficiency and it was
ultimately adopted by the people.

One of the district attorney's who has been vocal against the bill is John
DeRosier of Calcasieu Parish. Loren Lampert, the former chief of police of the
Alexandria Police Department and a longtime prosecutor, is his administrative
1st assistant district attorney. He also does specialty prosecution around the
state.

"The problem that I have right now is that there is absolutely no empirical
evidence to suggest that unanimity equates to reliability of verdicts," said
Lampert. "I think we can get there. I think we can do independent, objective
study of that and analysis of the data that exists."

Lampert emphasized to us that only 12 convictions since the current law was
adopted in 1974 have been reversed for a lack of sufficient evidence. And, in 9
of those 12 cases, it was a unanimous verdict.

"The origins of this, it's horrible. There is no way to soften that blow," he
said. "I'm as empathetic as I can be and I really acknowledge that and I'm not
trying to diminish that in any way whatsoever. If this is a way to fix that,
and the public decides that is the case, I'm for that as well."

Lampert hopes the debate focuses on the substance of reliable verdicts.

"I think if the data were to come out and show that unanimity in any
substantial way improves reliability, not only would I not oppose that bill
personally and individually, I'm speaking for myself, I would support it
because I have that much faith in our system. It's the best system on the
planet," he said.

He also points out that non-unanimous jury verdicts often help avoid things
like costly re-trials that come if there are hung juries.

"I do think as good stewards we need to understand the data and know what it's
going to cost," he said. "It's going to be a significant increase in the cost
of a trial and length of a trial and the length of deliberations. But, if it
does equate to reliability, then we should be willing to spend that money
gladly. We just don't know the answer to that question."

Meanwhile, Tarpley argues that it's a prosecutor's responsibility to get a
conviction by a jury beyond a reasonable doubt: "How can you say a person has
been convicted beyond a reasonable doubt when one or two people on the jury
still have doubt?"

The next step for the bill is to clear the full house by a 2/3 margin. It would
then head back to the senate. If it passes the full legislature, you'll be
asked to vote on it as a constitutional amendment in the fall.

We reached out to our local district attorneys in Central Louisiana for their
thoughts on the bill.

Avoyelles Parish District Attorney Charles Riddle told us he will support a
unanimous jury verdict system, but would also like to give prosecutors the
option to require a jury. In other words, if a defendant can waive a jury
trial, the state should be able to require one.

Grant Parish District Attorney Jay Lemoine gave us this statement: "If
unanimous jury verdicts are actually more reliable, we must insist that we have
them. If Louisiana's role in reconstruction and the racism that occurred during
that time is the only factor to consider in whether split verdicts can stand,
then they must fall.

Currently, we only have anecdotal evidence and unscientific studies that are
put forward supporting this change. Unanimous verdicts do not necessarily
increase the reliability of verdicts, and allows one holdout to nullify the
jury. I support the study of reliable and empirical evidence, and until that
shows that unanimous jury verdicts are unreliable, I oppose the move to require
unanimous jury verdicts on all felony cases."

Rapides Parish District Attorney Phillip Terrell gave us this statement: "On
the one hand, the burden of proof the state must bear is beyond a reasonable
doubt. It has clearly been held by the United States Supreme Court that the
10-2 verdict is not unconstitutional. Many argue that a public safety issue
would arise if the more erroneous burden of unanimous verdict were placed upon
the prosecution.

On the other hand, the origins of the 9-3 or 10-2 verdict clearly arose in our
state during Jim Crow and any reading of the 1878 Constitutional Convention
minutes and comments makes clear the racial intentions of the framers.

It is suggested by some cooler heads that the matter be referred to the
Louisiana Law Institute for research and recommendation. However, this office
will certainly live with the wishes of the people if there is a vote to change
the Louisiana Constitution."

Calls for comment to Vernon Parish District Attorney Asa Skinner's office were
not returned.

(source: KALB news)