[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.H., KAN./MO., MO., CALIF.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Mar 18 09:11:07 CDT 2018

March 18

TEXAS----female faces death penalty

Round 2: Jury to be selected

More than 1,000 potential jurors have been summoned to appear in district court
Thursday when the state makes a 2nd attempt at jury selection in the capital
murder case against Sabrina Vielma. Vielma faces the death penalty for the Dec.
11, 2011, death of her 4-year-old son Davaughn Rodriguez.

Jury selection first began in December of 2017 but came to a halt when 75 % of
summoned jurors failed to appear. At the time, visiting Judge Stephen A. Ables
told the crowd of 124 potential jurors that 500 people were asked to appear at
the Uvalde County Courthouse. A turnout of 215-220 people is needed to select a
jury.

Summons are randomly generated using voter registration rolls and driver's
license records.

Prior to jury selection, a final pre-trial hearing was held Friday at 10 a.m.
in the Uvalde County Justice Center. There, Judge Ables said he hopes to have
120-130 jurors qualified by the end of Thursday. Those jurors will receive a
questionnaire to return Friday.

(source: Uvalde Leader-News)

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

The high cost of the death penalty

I am a senior at Hopkinton High School, and I strongly support Senate Bill 593.
If this bill were passed, New Hampshire would become the 20th state to abolish
the death penalty.

The main reason I oppose the death penalty is due to the exorbitant trial costs
it incurs. In 2008, the state of New Hampshire spent more than $5.3 million on
2 capital cases. The state has not carried out an execution since 1939. Is it
really worth it to use $5,300,000 to decide whether or not the state should
kill someone when the money could instead be used to benefit New Hampshire
residents?

CAITLYN McGLASHAN

Hopkinton

(source: Letter to the Editor, Concord Monitor)

KANSAS/MISSOURI:

The death penalty doesn't deserve to live. Abolish it in Missouri and Kansas

On Tuesday, Missouri may administer a lethal injection to a convict with a
condition called cavernous hemangioma. Lawyers for Russell Bucklew argue that
the many tumors in his body could burst mid-execution and cause him to choke on
his own blood. Which would be gruesome, and potentially unconstitutional. But
then, so is our whole system of capital punishment.

It's long past time to acknowledge that there are many reasons the state should
stop executing prisoners. Even for the most egregious crimes, and with no
exceptions.

The most compelling reason is that on the other side of the ledger, there's a
big blank space, and no valid rationale for keeping the government in this
business.

As everyone knows, the criminal justice system sometimes gets it wrong, and
innocent people are executed for crimes they did not commit. No one is for
that, and yet it keeps happening.

These cases are a lot less unusual than we'd like to think. Studies have
suggested that as many as 1 of every 25 persons sentenced to death in this
country is innocent of the crime for which he or she was convicted. Since 1973,
161 death row inmates have been exonerated. Across the country, at least a
dozen of those already executed have been pardoned posthumously.

Serious doubts remain about the guilt of dozens of others, including Missouri's
Larry Griffin, who was put to death in 1995 for the murder of a 19-year-old
drug dealer. Since his death, the 1st police officer on the scene of that
killing has acknowledged that the testimony of a supposed eyewitness was false.
A 2nd shooting victim, never contacted by either the prosecution or defense,
says neither Griffin nor the alleged eyewitness was even there.

Last summer, Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens stayed the execution of Marcellus
Williams, another death row inmate whose guilt is in doubt in the killing of a
former newspaper reporter.

Decades of study tell us that racial disparities in the meting out of justice
continue to be systemic, and that the death penalty is not a deterrent. Capital
cases are far more expensive to prosecute and death row inmates cost the state
much more than do convicts sentenced to life without parole.

A common argument for the death penalty is that the worst criminals don't
deserve to live, and that may be. But the American public does deserve better
than to have innocent people killed in our name, ever, without equal treatment
under the law, doing nothing to reduce the crime rate, and at greater cost to
taxpayers.

Do we deserve to remain in the moral universe inhabited by the world's other
top executioners: China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Pakistan?

Just this month alone, Alabama executed a seriously mentally ill man, and
Georgia executed a man who had been excluded as the perpetrator in some of the
crimes that officials said were all committed by him. The California Supreme
Court granted a new trial to a man sentenced to death 25 years ago on the basis
of false evidence.

The death penalty has been discredited, and it doesn't deserve to survive.

(source: Editorial Board, Kansas City Star)

MISSOURI----impending execution

>From death row to advocacy----Exonerated inmates speak out against the death
penalty

As Missouri prepares for a possible execution Tuesday, a group that argues
against the death penalty held a forum Saturday in Jefferson City featuring 2
men who were released from death row.

Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty hosted the event in the
Undercroft of St. Joseph Cathedral.

Joe Amrine was already serving time in prison when he was convicted in the
stabbing death of a fellow Missouri State Penitentiary inmate in Jefferson City
in 1986. He maintained his innocence for years, and in July 2003 - after 17
years on death row - he was freed from prison after it was found there was no
credible evidence linking Amrine to the crime and fellow inmates admitted they
lied when testifying at his trial. They later said Amrine was not in the same
area where the murder occurred.

Amrine has been speaking out against perceived injustices in the system since
his release. During his time in prison, Amrine saw 7 inmates he shared a cell
with executed.

"2 people executed were innocent, and I believe that with all my heart," he
said.

Amrine was particularly unhappy despite studies concluding the death penalty
system is disproportionately targeted at blacks and the poor, policy makers
haven't acted. He lamented more people are "steered by emotions" than compelled
by facts. He said, if he had been killed on death row, his mother and his
siblings and his children would've been victims.

"People who have lost loved ones are all victims," he said.

Amrine offered multiple arguments against the death penalty.

"In states where the death penalty exists, the murder rate is higher," he said.
"Execution makes no sense at all. How are you going to prove murder is wrong by
killing somebody?"

He noted because of more attention to death penalty cases over the last decade,
many states are not seeking that sentence because of the amount of time and
resources it takes to get a conviction.

"They realized that it cost $2.7 million to convict me and keep me on death
row," he said. "It only costs $600,000 to keep me in prison for the rest of my
life."

Reggie Griffin is the 4th person in Missouri to be exonerated of a crime in
which he received a death sentence. He also spoke at Saturday's event.

Griffin was charged with stabbing a fellow inmate at Moberly Correctional
Center and convicted in 1988 based on the word of 2 prison informants who got
reduced sentences for their testimony. The Missouri Supreme Court eventually
found prosecutors withheld evidence that guards confiscated the murder weapon
from another inmate, not Griffin, and the 2 informants had never said Griffin
was involved in the crime.

"People probably think that something like this don't happen, but it do happen,
and it did happen to me," he said. "I stayed on death row for about 6 or 7
years before that was overturned, but I still was under that, because I knew
that any time I could've been the next one in line."

Griffin was exonerated of the crime in 2011 and was released from prison in
2013, but said transitioning to society has been difficult after more than 30
years of incarceration, 23 of which were spent on death row.

"I've never received an apology - a simple apology - from the State of
Missouri," he said. "I'm trying to put my life back together, but it's not
easy. I'm here today because I feel that if I reach one person with my story,
I've accomplished something."

Amrine and Griffin, with felony convictions and no work history for such a long
time, have not been able to find full-time jobs. They said they mainly go
around speaking to groups, when asked, and doing odd jobs like painting and
cleaning yards.

"The system is set up to help those who have been paroled," Amrine said. "I
know of guys I was in prison with who get checks every month, get food stamps
and get Medicaid. The system doesn't help those who were exonerated of their
crime so we can't get that stuff."

Both men live in Kansas City. Amrine lives in his sister's home. She was
murdered, and her killer is still being sought. Griffin is married.

"I would take news clippings to an interview about how I was in prison and that
I got exonerated, but once they've got your Social Security number they know
everything about you," Griffin said.

In attendance at Saturday's event was Larry Hildebrand, of Jefferson City, who
was on the jury that convicted Amrine in the 1980s. The 2 had not seen each
other since then.

"When I went home from that trial, the first thing I said to my wife was, 'He's
either guilty as sin or he had the worst lawyer in the world,' and we later
found out he had the worst lawyer in the world," Hildebrand said. "This was on
my mind for years, and in 2001, a couple of girls came to our home representing
the public litigation firm out of Kansas City, which was representing (Amrine).
They left a packet and said they'd be in contact with me in a couple of weeks.
The packet had information which I never saw at the trial. As jurors, you don't
get to see everything. When they called me back, I told them, 'It's not a
matter of if this man should have a new trial; he's innocent and should be
freed.'"

Hildebrand said the prosecution team was on top of the case while Amrine's
lawyer was "dead pan."

"Being a Catholic, I understand that the death penalty eliminates the
possibility of conversion or forgiveness," he said. "As long as there is a
breath of life, there is the possibility for change. Anybody who is an advocate
for the death penalty ought to have to sit on a jury."

On Tuesday, the state is scheduled to execute Rusty Bucklew. He is scheduled to
die by lethal injection for shooting and killing Michael Sanders in Cape
Girardeau in 1996. He then abducted and raped his ex-girlfriend, who had been
living with Sanders, before he was caught and later convicted and sentenced to
death. If he is put to death, he would be the 89th person in Missouri to be
executed since the state re-instituted the punishment in 1989.

While officials with Missouri for Alternatives to the Death Penalty said they
condemn the violence Bucklew perpetrated, they believe executions are
"intolerable acts of retributive violence." The group plans to hold vigils
Tuesday afternoon in front of the governor's office at the Capitol and Tuesday
evening in Columbia at the Boone County Courthouse.

(source: News Tribune)

CALIFORNIA:

America is a violent country. It needs the death penalty

To the editor: It's no surprise that the majority of California voters support
the death penalty in this progressive state. ("Execution is inhumane, no matter
what method states use," March 16)

This country has more than 300 million guns in circulation and an incredibly
high number of deaths as a result. As far as I'm concerned - and surely as
millions of other Californians also think - it's justified that we should have
the ultimate penalty to counter the reality that we live in a violent country.

And why do we always hear the argument that some people on death row are
innocent? Is there a clear answer that this is in fact true?

Finally, when will California start carrying out the death sentences for the
nearly 750 prisoners awaiting execution? If terminally ill, law-abiding
individuals seeking end-of-life solutions via prescribed drugs can fulfill
their wishes, I'm sure California can come up with a similar solution on the
death penalty.

David Novis, Santa Barbara

----

To the editor: The death penalty, loathsome as it is, must be considered legal
under the U.S. Constitution, which incorporated English common law as it stood
at the time it was ratified. Then, England considered execution a legitimate
form of punishment.

What is wrong with the death penalty is the moral implication of randomly
meting out the punishment. For example, compare the rate of executions in Texas
to that in California.

Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun, who once accepted the legitimacy of the
death penalty, said it best: "From this day forward, I will no longer tinker
with the machinery of death."

Erica Hahn, Monrovia

----

. To the editor: In addition to all of the excellent reasons you cite to
abolish the death penalty in the U.S., there is yet another reason that was not
mentioned: the devastating effect of this sentence on the family members of the
people involved.

Imagine living, usually for many years, with the possibility that your relative
may eventually be executed. Sometimes even the families of the victims protest
the death penalty.

Instead, why can't we have a less bloodthirsty but very severe (and more
immediate) punishment for convicted murderers? The possibility of life
imprisonment with no hope of parole, with solitary confinement and no amenities
such as television, might be more of a deterrent to murder than the death
penalty.

Jan Kelley, Studio City

(source: Letters to the Editor, Los Angeles Times)