[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, PENN., N.C., OHIO, IND., KY., NEB., CALIF.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Jun 13 08:35:33 CDT 2018

June 13

TEXAS:

Gustavo Tijerina-Sandoval formally sentenced to death for murder of Border
Patrol agent

Gustavo Tijerina-Sandoval appeared in court Tuesday for his formal sentencing,
almost a week after a Cameron County jury sentenced him to death for the murder
of Border Patrol Agent Javier Vega Jr.

The courtroom was filled with dozens of Border Patrol agents and other law
enforcement, who were there in support of the Vega family.

Judge Migdalia Lopez presented the verdict, sentencing Tijerina-Sandoval to
death for the capital murder charge and life for attempted capital murder.

At that hearing, Marie Vega, the mother of the Border Patrol agent Javier Vega
Jr., read a final statement addressed to Tijerina-Sandoval.

"I hope you spend the rest of your time on death row thinking about the day you
are finally put to death, " said Marie Vega. She went on to say, "You sentenced
yourself to the death penalty. Tijerina, you broke the law. You killed an
innocent man. You thought you were so brave and tough, now be brave and tough
and suck it up and die like you need to."

Tijerina-Sandoval was not present during her statement. As Judge Lopez
dismissed the court, all Border Patrol agents got in line and exchanged hugs
with the Vega family.

"Justice has been served in the Javier Vega murder," said Manuel Padilla Jr,
Chief Patrol Agent. "Although this doesn't bring our agent back, it just shows
the justice system does work."

Although this trial is over, the Willacy County District Attorney's Office is
now preparing for the trial of Ismael Hernandez-Vallejo, a co-defendant in this
case.

Hernandez-Vallegjo's trial is expected to start in August. Prosecutors will
also seek the death penalty in that case.

(source: valleycentral.com)

********************

Man Sentenced to Death For Killing Agent Tells Court "Thank You for Making Me
Famous"

"Thank you for making me famous it was my dream to be on TV," are the words a
man sentenced to death for capital murder said at his sentencing.

Last month, the jury found Sandoval guilty of killing off-duty border patrol
agent Javier Vega Jr. and last week the jury's verdict for capital murder was
the death penalty.

Vega Jr.'s mother, Marie Vega, stood in front of the courtroom and tearfully
spoke on behalf of the family, saying the sentence was just.

While Vega's Jr's father and wife sat with the dozens of border patrol agents
who attended the sentencing, with tears in their eyes.

"You need to die for what you did, you don't deserve to live or breathe our
air," Marie Vega said.

After the sentencing, Defense Attorney Nat Perez told News Center 23 said that
this was the longest trial he has even been involved in.

"It was pretty tedious and contested I think it was hard fought, and certainly
we're a little disappointed with the verdict," Perez said.

"We'll be filing a direct appeal to the Court of Criminal Appeals, we think
there's some things that the Court of Appeals should look at, and then we'll
see what they say," he said.

During the course of the trial, jury heard Vega Jr.'s parents and children
testify about the day the murder took place, when Sandoval and other suspect,
Ismael Hernandez, Vallejo ambushed the Vega's while they were fishing on August
3, 2014.

They also watched Sandoval's video interview with Texas Rangers, where he weeps
and says he must pay the price.

The defense has 30 days from today to file a motion for a new trial, although
it is likely it will be denied.

(source: KVEO news)

************************

5 controversial moments in the case that sent Darlie Routier to death row for
her son's murder

Darlie Routier was convicted and sentenced to die for fatally stabbing her
5-year-old son Damon in June 1996. More than 2 decades later, the Rowlett woman
remains in prison - 1 of only 6 women on Texas' death row.

Devon, 6, was also slain, but Routier was convicted of only 1 murder because
prosecutors decided to ensure the option to pursue a 2nd indictment if the 1st
trial didn't net a lasting conviction.

Routier has maintained an intruder broke in while she slept and killed her sons
before she chased him away. She said she could not remember much of what
happened that night, and a psychiatrist for the defense said she was a victim
of "traumatic amnesia."

But prosecutors called that a convenient excuse and argued Routier killed her
children because they interfered with the life she wanted to live.

On Tuesday at 9 p.m., ABC aired the 1st episode of The Last Defense, a 7-part
documentary series that focuses on the death row cases of Routier and Oklahoma
man Julius Jones.

Viola Davis and Julius Tennon are the executive producers of the series, which
the network says "explores and exposes flaws in the American justice system."

Following is a look at 5 moments that helped define the Routier investigation,
trial and the aftermath of her conviction:

During Routier's death-penalty trial, jurors heard a 6-minute 911 call from the
night of the attack. Prosecutors said the call supported what officers said
about Routier's behavior, but the defense said the recording showed she was
traumatized and distracted by the chaos in her home. They argued Routier should
not be held accountable for what she said or did during that time.

In the recording, Routier tells the dispatcher that she touched the knife, the
suspected murder weapon, and added, "I wonder if we could have gotten the
prints maybe."

She mentions her husband ran downstairs but doesn't ask about their infant son,
Drake.

Officers testified that Routier was upset and screaming, but didn't appear to
be in shock and seemed very alert. One officer said he told Routier to apply
pressure to the stab wounds on Damon's back as he gasped for breath, but
instead, she did nothing.

"I thought if she was worried about fingerprints on a knife, she could
certainly take care of her kids," Officer David Waddell said during the trial.

He added that she did not follow paramedics when they carried Damon to an
ambulance and did not ask where they were taking him.

Bloody evidence and the garage escape

Over and over, Routier, who was 26 at the time of her sons' murders, said a man
wearing dark clothes and a baseball cap attacked the boys, then her, before
escaping through the garage.

But investigators said evidence at the scene was inconsistent with Routier's
account.

Investigators found no blood in the garage or on the garage window or wooden
fence surrounding the backyard. The window sills in the garage had layers of
dust, and the mulch in the flower beds between the garage and the backyard gate
was undisturbed, an arrest warrant stated.

Lab tests did find fingerprints on the garage window that did not belong to
Routier, her husband or law enforcement, but it's unclear who left them.

Routier said she found the knife on the floor in the utility room, but
investigators didn't find any blood splatter or other marks that would have
indicated the knife was dropped there.

Blood was found near the kitchen sink, but no appreciable amount on the couch
where Routier said she had been stabbed. There had been attempts to clean the
countertop and sink before police arrived, and police suggested that she may
have inflicted the wounds herself, the affidavit stated.

Police said a bloody sock was found on the grass several houses down. Routier's
relatives cited it as evidence that someone else killed the boys, and the
defense said there was no way Routier would have had time to stage the crime
scene.

Much debate also centered around a bloody fingerprint on the coffee table near
her son's body. Part of her appeal centered on the print belonging to an adult,
not one of Routier's slain children.

The print was never compared to the children's fingers because morgue workers
did not take the children's prints, which is usually standard procedure.

In 2008, a federal judge granted additional testing of the sock, a butcher
knife, the fibers from another knife and gave permission to run four
fingerprints through a national database. The DNA was submitted last year for
testing, but there have been no other recent updates.

The Silly String video

Days after the boys' deaths, the Routiers held a graveside birthday party for
Devon on what would have been his 7th birthday.

They sprayed Silly String on the grave and sang "Happy Birthday." KXAS-TV
(NBC5) recorded the celebration and interviewed the couple who said they had
nothing to hide.

Routier was arrested four days later and charged with capital murder.

The NBC5 footage of the Silly String and a smiling Routier was shown during the
trial. Prosecutors said her behavior at her children's graves showed a lack of
grief and remorse.

Defense attorneys said the tape showed a family trying to cope with grief.

It was not the only time jurors heard statements about Routier's lack of
remorse.

An emergency room doctor testified that the mother seemed emotionless when he
tended to the knife wounds to her neck, shoulder and forearm. Dr. Alex Santos
called the wounds "superficial," but agreed that they came millimeters from
cutting her carotid artery.

A nurse's note, however, described Routier as "very emotional, crying, sobbing
and talking about events in her family."

The gravesite recording

During Routier's trial, a detective testified that investigators hid
microphones near the boys' graves in Rockwall before Devon's birthday in the
hopes that someone might make a confession that would lead police to the
killer.

In 1997, after an FBI investigation, U.S. Attorney Paul E. Coggins announced
that the Rowlett Police Department would not face federal charges for planting
the hidden microphones.

Attorneys and others questioned the legality of the move.

The investigation determined that the decision was based on legal advice
indicating the technique was lawful.

In June 1998, Routier's mother and husband filed a lawsuit accusing the police
detectives and a prosecutor of invading their privacy. The suit was later
dismissed.

The trial transcript

Court transcript problems became central to Routier's appeal, which was delayed
because of the issues.

Following the trial, one of Routier's attorneys found errors in the transcript,
which was needed for an appeal. Court reporter Sandra Halsey refused to answer
questions, and a state district judge ordered a review.

In 1999, a complaint filed with the state board alleged that Halsey's work was
"incompetent, inaccurate, unprofessional and untimely" and that she lied to
hide mistakes.

She was ordered to pay $32,265 for the cost of getting the transcript fixed and
had her license revoked.

A 2nd court reporter who was appointed to reconstruct portions of the
transcript using Halsey's audio recordings, stenographer's notes and the
original transcript, said the 1st version contained 18,000 errors.

She also had to make a new version of 53 pages of the transcript detailing
pretrial issues and preliminary jury selection using stenographic notes rather
than audio recordings after Halsey reportedly could not find the tape.

Finally, in November 1999 a judge approved the revised transcript. Routier's
team filed an appeal in 2001, but in 2003 the Court of Criminal Appeals
rejected Routier's claims and upheld her conviction.

(source: Dallas Morning News)

******************

Fifth Circuit Chastises 2 Texas Attorneys For Filing Last-Minute Death Penalty
Stay

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has chastised 2 Texas attorneys
in connection with a last-minute effort to stay the execution of a death row
client, though it stopped short of sanctioning them.

Seth Kretzer and Carlo D'Angelo represented Rosendo Rodriguez III, who was
convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death in 2009 for the murder of
Summer Baldwin, a pregnant prostitute he killed and stuffed in a suitcase.

After years of unsuccessful appeals, the attorneys filed another writ of habeas
corpus a week ahead of Rodriguez's March 27 execution date, alleging they found
newly discovered evidence that questioned the credibility of Lubbock County
Medical Examiner Dr. Sridhar Natarajan, who performed the autopsy on Baldwin's
body.

The writ alleged that the lawyers had become aware on Feb. 16 of a 2015
wrongful termination suit filed against Natarajan by Dr. Luisa Florez, who
claimed that Natarajan was not performing his own autopsies but was delegating
those duties to technicians who were not trained doctors. The writ also alleged
that Natarajan and Lubbock County settled that lawsuit, and paid Florez
$230,000, on Nov. 7, 2017.

The Fifth Circuit denied the writ, and Rodriguez was executed as scheduled
March 27. 2 days day later, according to the decision, the Fifth Circuit issued
a show cause order against Kretzer and D'Angelo, directing them to explain why
they shouldn't be sanctioned for filing the successive writ.

The Fifth Circuit asked the attorneys to explain 2 things: When did they first
became aware of the 2015 lawsuit that Dr. Florez settled in 2017, and why their
writ did not mention the Feb. 26 eyewitness affidavit, filed by prosecutors in
Rodriguez's criminal matter, of former Lubbock County homicide investigator
Garland Timms, who swore he personally witnessed the autopsy of Baldwin
performed by Natarajan.

In their response, according to the court, the attorneys explained they knew
nothing about the Florez suit until February 2018, because the case was only
disclosed in a handful of Lubbock media outlets.

As for Timms' affidavit, which was created 12 years after the autopsy occurred,
they noted they had no opportunity to cross-examine Timms about his statement.

Those answers did not completely satisfy the Fifth Circuit panel, but the court
ultimately decided against sanctioning the attorneys.

"As to the 1st question, counsel claimed their client, now executed, informed
them about the lawsuit filed by Dr. Florez in February 2018, which precipitated
their filings," the Fifth Circuit panel wrote in per curiam opinion. "Counsel
nevertheless failed directly to answer the second question, and instead
asserted unpersuasive, post-hoc arguments as to why this court should have
discredited the affidavit."

"After reviewing counsels' submissions carefully, we do not impose sanctions,
but we chastise habeas counsel for failing to even acknowledge, much less
attempt, to rebut an affidavit timely offered by the state that on its face
contradicted the factual basis for the last minute successive petition," the
court wrote.

"This court takes very seriously its duty to review all petitions on behalf of
petitioners facing execution. Our task is made all the more difficult when
counsel, having already pressed against an impending execution date, simply
ignore the facts brought to bear by the state that undermine their newly
discovered theories," the court wrote. "There is no excuse for such delays."

"This bespeaks lack of candor to the court and arguably lack of a good-faith
basis for the positions they espoused," the court concluded. "However,
attorneys Seth Kretzer and Carlo D'Angelo are admonished that their pleadings
and filings in future cases will be scrutinized for accuracy, completeness and
compliance with Rule 11," which allows courts to sanction attorney for filing
pleadings that have no evidentiary support.

The panel that admonished the attorneys consisted of Fifth Circuit Judges Edith
Jones and Jerry Smith. Judge James Dennis also sat on the panel but declined to
participate in the lawyers' admonishment.

Kretzer, a Houston attorney who frequently litigates criminal appeals before
the Fifth Circuit, said he was happy to answer the Fifth Circuit's questions
and welcomes their scrutiny.

"Obviously, we have nothing but the greatest respect and deference for all of
the judges on the Fifth Circuit," Kretzer said.

"I welcome any scrutinization of my work for completeness and accuracy," added
Kretzer, noting that he and his co-counsel hired Thomas C. Wright, a Houston
attorney who defends attorneys in professional responsibility cases, to answer
the Fifth Circuit show cause order.

"I hired an outside counsel to check our work. If I felt I had done anything
wrong, I would have said so," Kretzer said.

D'Angelo, a Tyler attorney, and Wright, both did not return calls for comment.

(saource: Texas Lawyer)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Death penalty trial underway for man accused of using vodka to set fire that
killed wife

Testimony is underway in the death penalty trial of a man accused of killing
his wife in 2014.

James Karr is accused of knocking his wife Maureen Karr unconscious during an
argument at their Friendship Street home in Duquesne, tying her up and setting
the house on fire.

Investigators said Maureen Karr took out a protection of abuse order two weeks
before the fire, claiming her estranged husband was "threatening to set the
house on fire."

The case will not be decided by a jury, but instead will be decided by Judge
Anthony Mariani.

The district attorney's office said this is the 1st time during the
administration of District Attorney Stephen Zapalla that a capital case has
been decided by a judge instead of a jury.

(source: WPXI news)

NORTH CAROLINA:

Meet the 'Death Row Granny', one of America's most prolific female serial
killers

When we picture a person responsible for some heinous crime - be it real or
fictional - we probably imagine someone ice-cold and sinister: a loner, an
aggressor, somebody who exudes a palpable sort of evil from every aspect of
their demeanor. Think Christian Bale in American Psycho, for instance, or Ian
Brady and Myra Hindley (the Moors Murderers).

It just seems incomprehensible that someone who looks so "normal" - who looks
nice, even - could possibly be a threat to their fellow friends and neighbours.

So, when Velma Barfield (nee Margie Velma Bullard), a seemingly sweet woman in
her 50s, confessed to multiple murders, the world was stunned.

Barfield was born in a rural part of South Carolina in 1932, but spent most of
her childhood in the neighbouring North Carolina. By all accounts, her youth
was not a particularly happy time, and her father was reportedly very abusive.
In order to escape that lifestyle, she married young - being just 17 at the
time - and went to live with her husband, Thomas Burke.

Their marriage was a happy one at first. They had 2 children together, and
appeared to be living a fairly contented lifestyle. However, later on in their
relationship, Barfield had a hysterectomy, and subsequently developed an
addiction to painkillers after the procedure left her with chronic back issues.
This apparently caused a change in her personality which, in turn, caused her
husband to turn to drinking.

After that, the couple would have vicious arguments, and the tension between
them only ended when their relationship did. And how did that happen? Well, one
night in 1969, when Burke was passed out drunk on the couch, Barfield took
their children out. By the time they returned, their home was burnt to the
ground.

>From that point onward, Barfield's life was littered with a suspicious amount
of death.

In 1970 - mere months after the woman's 1st husband had perished in a fire -
Barfield remarried, this time to a widower named Jennings Barfield. Once again,
however, their relationship quickly deteriorated after he confronted her about
her misuse of prescription drugs.

Less than a year after they were married, the widower died after contracting a
mysterious illness and suffering a heart attack.

>From the outside, it appeared as if Velma Barfield simply had bad luck when it
came to choosing husbands - but she knew otherwise. Even so, other people
didn't begin to suspect there had been any foul play until years later, by
which point the woman had offed at least 6 people.

Her next victim - shockingly - was her own mother.

In 1974, Lillian Bullard (Barfield's mother) developed an aggressive illness,
the symptoms of which were nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. She actually managed
to recover from it once, but it struck again around Christmas time of the same
year - and that time, she wasn't as lucky.

After that, in 1977, 3 more people died after coming into contact with
Barfield. Montgomery and Dollie Edwards, an elderly couple that Barfield worked
for, passed away within weeks of one another, with Dollie suffering from
exactly the same symptoms as her caretaker's 2nd husband.

With both her clients dead, Barfield had to take another caretaking job; this
time for 76-year-old Record Lee, who had recently broken her leg. Lee actually
survived Barfield's murder spree but her husband, John Henry, succumbed to a
severe gastrointestinal illness that caused - you guessed it - severe nausea,
diarrhea, and vomiting.

In 1978, Barfield ended the life of her final victim. His name was Rowland
Stuart Taylor and he was a relative of one of Barfield's previous targets,
Dollie Edwards. The twice-widowed woman was in a relationship with Taylor, but
was also using him by forging checks in his name. After fearing he might have
found out about her illegal activity on her account, Barfield sorted the matter
in the only way she knew how to by this point: murder.

Taylor died the day after attending a church service with Barfield and, once
again, everyone thought she was simply unlucky. This time around, however, a
woman claiming to be Barfield's sister called police and informed them that she
believed the widow had poisoned her boyfriend. In fact, she said, Barfield had
killed several others before using the same method.

Sure enough, after investigation, autopsy results found arsenic in Taylor's
system, and tests performed on the bodies of John Henry, Lillian Bullard,
Dollie Edwards, and Jennings Barfield all showed traces of the poison, too.
Barfield would eventually confess to four of these murders, plus the murder of
Montgomery Edwards, but always denied killing her 2nd husband.

She was never tied to her 1st husband's death, either, but it's always been
suspected that she might have had a hand in it.

In the end, Barfield was only convicted of the 1st-degree murder of Stuart
Taylor - but that was enough to get her the death penalty. She spent 6 years on
death row, during which time she became a born-again Christian and earned
herself the nickname, the "Death Row Granny".

She was the 1st woman ever to be put to death by lethal injection in the USA -
much to the disagreement of anti-death penalty campaigners and fellow
Christians who had asked for Barfield's sentence to be commuted to life
imprisonment.

Before she died, Barfield said: "I'm sorry for any hurt I've caused anybody.
There isn't a day goes by that I don't think about this and wish that it were
possible for me myself to take that hurt."

To this day, she remains one of the most prolific female serial killers of all
time.

(sourcwe: vt.co)

OHIO:

Even bad guys are guaranteed due process

We are a government of laws and not a government of men. If we were a
government of men, we surely would all seek the death penalty for many wrongs
done to us and nearly all wrongs done to those we love. Undoubtedly, there are
offenses for which we all become inspired to vigilantism.

Enshrined in the U.S. Constitution is the right for all persons to be zealously
represented by a lawyer when facing criminal charges brought by the government.
Brian Golsby is no different. He was facing the most serious charges possible.
He was entitled to and received a zealous defense to the charges and the
government's attempts to sentence him to death.

While letter writer Emily Prieto apparently disagrees ("Defense attorney helped
bad guy live," last Tuesday), 12 jurors believed that the appropriate
punishment after a full trial where they heard all the evidence presented by
both sides was life imprisonment with no chance of parole.

Far from being a disgrace, Diane Menashe, like all criminal defense lawyers,
protects the constitutional rights of all citizens by defending the rights of
those charged with crimes.

Kenneth R. Bailey, president, The Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers

Columbus

(source: Letter to the Editor, Columbus Dispatch)

INDIANA:

Private attorneys in death penalty cases create dilemmas for judges, public
defenders

After spending much of the pretrial conference questioning the defense attorney
about her caseload, ability to retain co-counsel and the expenses related to
hiring an investigator and mitigation specialist, Marion Superior Judge Sheila
Carlisle concluded by describing the situation taking place in her courtroom.

"This is uncharted territory," she said.

The stakes are high because the defendant, Jason Brown, is facing the death
penalty for allegedly killing a police officer. But the twist comes from the
accused, who is indigent, being represented by a private attorney who is doing
the work pro bono. Carlisle was juggling the man's right to choose his own
counsel with the court's concern not only over how much the county would have
to pay for his defense, but also whether his lawyer would be able to handle the
case from start to finish.

At risk is having to redo - and pay nearly $1 million for - the whole trial
again if Brown is convicted and sentenced to death. The appeal would likely
argue ineffective counsel and, should the Indiana Supreme Court agree, the
guilty verdict could get overturned with the case getting sent back for
retrial.

For now, State of Indiana v. Jason Dane Brown, 49G03-1708-MR-028177, is
proceeding with the defendant's counsel of choice, Denise Turner. She spent 6
years in the Marion County Public Defender Agency before leaving to start her
own practice. While she has received training on representing clients facing
the death penalty, she has never worked a capital murder case.

Turner said this case came to her through an email that was forwarded from an
investigator Brown's family had contacted after his arrest. As she explained,
the family did not want a public defender and was talking to another attorney.
But the other lawyer, Turner said, was a former prosecutor with little
experience handling major felony trials and who had not been doing criminal
defense work for very long.

"So I was terrified that Jason's case would go to someone inexperienced and
only in it for the possible publicity," Turner said. "So for the family, it
wasn't a question of me representing Jason or the case going to the public
defender agency; it was the other attorney or me."

An appeal withdrawn

Defense attorneys say private counsel representing a death penalty defendant is
rare in Indiana. Public defenders typically defend individuals charged with
capital crimes because of the cost of the case coupled with the demands of
preparing for trial.

Until the beginning of 2018, the state had 2 death penalty cases represented by
private counsel who needed to draw upon public funds to support their defenses.
In addition to Turner, Fort Wayne attorney Nikos Nakos of Nakos & Adams was
defending Marcus Dansby, who is accused of stabbing and shooting to death 3
adults and an unborn child.

Larry Landis, executive director of the Indiana Public Defender Council, said
he empathizes with the dilemma judges confront in these cases. The bench has to
weigh the defendant's right to choose counsel against the ability of the
attorney to provide representation.

The Fort Wayne case, State of Indiana V. Marcus D. Dansby,
02D06-1609-MR-000010, could have provided some guidance for resolving that
dilemma. Allen Superior Judge Frances Gull removed Nakos at the beginning of
the year and appointed 2 public defenders, Michelle Kraus and Robert Gevers II.

Kraus said Gull carefully laid out her reasons for replacing Nakos. The judge
made a record, citing caselaw and the standards from the American Bar
Association, as she detailed what private counsel had done and not done on the
Dansby case.

Nakos disputed that he was not adequately representing his client. He claimed
he had hired a mitigation expert but Gull, after she signed the order allowing
the expense, wanted more documentation showing the expert was qualified. That
individual got angry and quit.

When Nakos found another, he said Gull referred to his submission to the court
as containing "stupid (stuff)." In January 2018, he filed a motion for the
judge to recuse herself and soon after, Gull removed him from the case.

Once the public defenders were appointed, they filed a petition for an
interlocutory appeal. Kraus explained the central question under the Sixth
Amendment was whether the defendant's right to an attorney of his own choice
trumps his right to effective counsel. Although the trial court granted the
petition, the public defenders decided not to proceed to the Indiana Supreme
Court and withdrew the appeal.

Kraus said an appeal would have likely stayed the case for several months and
the defendant wanted to keep things moving forward. The defense, she said,
believes they have preserved the issue and, if needed after the trial, can
revive the issue.

Although private counsel in death penalty cases is rare, Landis would still
like to see the Indiana Supreme Court address the Sixth Amendment issue.

"At some point that dilemma needs to get resolved and it may ultimately get
resolved in the Fort Wayne case if there is a trial and conviction," he said.
"If the verdict is appealed, that will be one of the appellate issues."

Still a gray area

Fran Watson, professor in the criminal defense and wrongful conviction clinics
at Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, pointed to a recent
ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court which could influence any subsequent decision
by the Indiana justices.

The 6-3 decision in McCoy v. Louisiana held that a defendant has the right to
choose the objective of the defense even if the attorney believes another
strategy would avoid the death penalty. Watson sees this ruling as analogous to
the Brown and Dansby cases. Following the Supreme Court???s reasoning, Brown
and Dansby's right to pick their attorney would outweigh their right to
effective counsel.

Indiana Prosecuting Attorney Council executive director David Powell and Jim
Oliver, IPAC deputy director for criminal law, speculated that even with a
ruling from the Indiana Supreme Court, questions still would arise. The 2
offered insight into death penalty cases but emphasized they were only talking
in general terms and not specifically about the Brown or Dansby cases.

They agreed guidance about defendants' rights in capital cases would be
helpful, but attorneys and judges could still struggle even if the justices
create a bright line. Every case has a different set of facts so, they said,
gray areas will probably still exist.

No blank check

In the Brown pre-trial conference, Turner sat alone with her client at the
defense table, surrounded by 5 sheriff's deputies. At the other table, 3
prosecuting attorneys crowded together.

Carlisle pressed Turner. Among the judge's concerns was that the defense
attorney has not found co-counsel, currently was defending 49 felony cases, and
did not seem to be adequately preparing. Turner said she is actively seeking
another attorney to assist and that she is doing all things that need to be
done. In addition, she told Carlisle that the bulk of her workload was
manageable because most of her cases were Level 6 felonies and Brown was her
only murder case.

The judge was also concerned about the cost. Carlisle reminded the attorney she
would have to justify the expenses because there would be no blank check.

A county can get reimbursed for half the cost of the capital defense but,
according to Landis, only if the attorneys meet the requirements outlined in
Rule 24 of the Indiana Rules of Criminal Procedure. Turner does not meet the
requirements in part because she has no experience with a capital case and
because she currently is defending more than 20 open felony cases. So, Marion
County might have to foot her entire bill.

An analysis done by the Legislative Services Agency in 2015 examined the cost
of the 8 death penalty cases that went to trial in Indiana between 1995 and
2013. The average cost of a capital murder trial was $789,581 with the state
expenditures totaling $420,234 and the county expenditures reaching $369,347.

Turner acknowledged she is frustrated with the battles she feels she is having
to fight to defend Brown. She said she understands that nobody wants the case
to be reversed and sent back, but she worries that her client is not the center
of everyone's attention.

Nevertheless, knowing what she knows now, Turner said she would still take
Brown's case.

"If I felt like I was contributing to the community or to one person, I still
would do it," she said. "I believe that nothing great comes with ease."

(source: The Indiana Lawyer)

KENTUCKY:

Death penalty to remain option in Butler double murder case

A judge denied bail Monday for a man suspected in the deaths of a retired
pastor and his wife.

The death penalty will also remain a potential option for punishment for Kevin
Dye if he is found guilty as charged of 2 counts of murder.

Dye, 36, of Morgantown, is accused of shooting and killing Kenneth Neafus, 71,
and his wife, Dorothy, 70, who were found dead Aug. 9, 2016, at their Richland
Church Road home.

Dye is also accused of receiving stolen property (firearm) and possession of a
firearm by a convicted felon.

He has been held in Butler County Jail since his arrest Aug. 25, 2016, but his
defense team of attorneys Currie and Wes Milliken filed motions to eliminate
the death penalty and to set a bond for his release while the case is pending.

Dye's attorneys argued the evidence in the case is too weak to support a
finding of guilt on all charges and a jury's decision in favor of the death
penalty would be "arbitrary, capricious and inadequately reliable."

Court filings by Dye's attorney featured claims that Dye's DNA hasn't been
found at the crime scene and the Neafuses' DNA hasn't been found in Dye's
vehicle.

"The stuff most likely to have yielded that (evidence) has all been tested and
ruled out," Wes Milliken said Monday.

Butler County Commonwealth's Attorney Blake Chambers disputed the defense's
characterization of the evidence, saying Monday that 102 items have been
gathered by Kentucky State Police and sent for testing at the KSP Central Lab.

Most of those items have been analyzed, but 22 items are left to be tested,
Chambers said.

State law allows prosecutors to seek the death penalty in murder cases under
any of several conditions, including if the case involves multiple deaths.

Chambers also contended that, because the offenses in the case are punishable
by death, bail cannot be imposed on the defendant.

To support his argument, he called KSP Detective Jason Lanham as a witness to
testify about his involvement in the investigation.

Lanham said he was called to the Neafuses' home to assist in the investigation
Aug. 9, 2016, and found Kenneth Neafus' body in the yard near the front of the
house and his wife's body on a couch in the living room.

Both people appeared to have been shot in the head, and Kenneth Neafus' body
showed signs of blunt force trauma to the head as well, Lanham said.

Prescription bottles and firearms were reported missing from the residence.

The detective began talking to relatives of the late couple.

"The family could not give me the name of anyone they'd suspect of doing this,"
Lanham said.

About a week later, Lanham heard from one of the couple's daughters, who
recalled visiting with her parents in July 2016 and noticed that her father was
acting strangely and mentioned he had received some troubling information, but
he did not elaborate.

Lanham was also contacted by KSP Sgt. Brian McKinney, a Morgantown resident who
suggested looking into Dye as a possible suspect.

"(McKinney) described (Dye) to me as very hot-headed ... a local drug dealer,
he heard he had been breaking into houses and going door-to-door asking for
money," Lanham said.

KSP officers received an anonymous tip Aug. 11, 2016, urging them to
investigate Dye and heard from then-Butler County Jailer Terry Fugate four days
later, who reported that someone came to his house about the murder and said
"Dye was a good suspect to look at" and that he had been trying to get money
from elderly residents in the area, Lanham testified.

Lanham said he attempted to contact Dye at his residence but got no answer and
left a business card.

Dye came to KSP Post 3 in Bowling Green on Aug. 16, 2016, and was interviewed
by detectives about his actions around the time of the homicides.

Dye was reluctant to answer a question from Lanham about whether he knew of a
reason to kill the Neafuses.

"I repeated the question 4 times, but he never answered the question," Lanham
said. "He started crying ... and said they were good people and they really
helped (him)."

On Aug. 24, 2016, KSP heard from someone who reported that one of Dye's
children talked about seeing Dye with blood on his arms, and Lanham followed up
the following day, meeting the child at Morgantown Elementary School.

The child told police that he was in Dye's vehicle on the night of Aug. 8,
2016, outside of what police confirmed was the Neafus residence and that he saw
"an older, bigger man" run out of the house toward the car, with Dye pushing
the man away from the car and onto the grass, Lanham said.

The child described Dye as "hitting the bad man with a rock" and said Dye got
into the car and used wet wipes to clean blood from his arms, the detective
testified.

Multiple neighbors also reported that their homes were burglarized and money,
weapons and drugs were stolen a few days after Dye visited them to ask for
money, Lanham said.

Police obtained a search warrant for the car and Dye's residence, where they
found a .32-caliber revolver that had been reported stolen. The Neafuses were
struck with bullets fired from a .32-caliber firearm, Lanham said.

Dye was interviewed again the day of his arrest, and he was confrontational
with police.

"He was so confrontational we had to stand up and detain him," Lanham said.

KSP obtained Dye's cellphone and saw no activity during a 2-week period around
the double homicide, but interviews with relatives established that Dye had
been calling and sending texts during that time, Lanham said.

A pair of boots were also taken from Dye's home and found to have blood on them
from three individuals, but there was not enough blood to do a comparative
analysis and determine whose blood it was, according to the detective.

Under cross-examination from Wes Milliken, Lanham said testing of the firearm
could not confirm that this was the murder weapon, and that none of the
victims' blood was found in Dye's vehicle and no blood found in the Neafus'
home matched Dye.

Lanham also testified he was not aware that Dye's son visited Chambers' office
with his mother and recanted his account.

Crocker denied the motion for bail based on the information gathered in the
investigation.

(source: Bowling Green Daily News)

NEBRASKA:

Garcia death penalty hearing to begin Wednesday

The death penalty phase for convicted serial killer Anthony Garcia is set to
begin Wednesday.

Garcia was convicted in the 2008 deaths of Thomas Hunter, the 11-year-old son
of Creighton University Medical Center pathologist Dr. William Hunter and the
family's housekeeper, Shirlee Sherman, as well as the 2013 deaths of Creighton
pathologist Dr. Roger Brumback and his wife Mary.

The 3 judge panel is expected to convene at 9 a.m. Wednesday. District Court
Judge Gary Randall of Douglas County, District Court Judge W. Russell Bowie of
Douglas County and District Judge Rick Schreiner of Gage County will determine
whether Garcia will get life in prison or the death penalty.

Garcia's defense will argue mitigating circumstances. Prosecutors will argue
aggravating circumstances.

If the 3 judge panel determines aggravating circumstances outweigh mitigating
circumstances, Garcia will get the death penalty.

(source: WOWT news)

CALIFORNIA:

ACLU revises tactics to stop executions in California

The will of the people is being challenged as the courts continue to stall the
implementation of the death penalty. Despite the passage of Prop 66 to speed up
executions, California has not conducted an execution since 2006. There are
more than 750 people on death row. Of those, more than 20 have lost their final
appeal.

Michele Hanisee President of the Association of Los Angeles District Attorneys
says the American Civil Liberties Union, a longtime opponent of the death
penalty, had to file a new lawsuit to continue their campaign to prevent any
executions from taking place.

"After years of litigation and writing ballot initiatives, all their prior
lawsuits and arguments had been defeated and Proposition 66, which the voters
enacted, said the execution protocol is not subject to this public vetting
process and the Administrative Procedures Act. You have to understand the
execution protocol has always been a 50-60-page-long document. It's a soup to
nuts recipe for what we're going to do if we're going to execute someone,
including, are they sane enough? Do we move them to a secure cell? What is
their last meal going to be? Do we get them a minister? Everything
step-by-step. Now the ACLU is saying, 'whoa, whoa, whoa! All that stuff? That's
not exempt from the public commentary process. Only the specific part about how
you kill them.'"

She says the other stuff was never an issue for the ACLU before.

(source: KABC News)

*********************

Jurors Weigh Death Penalty for Former Marine Guilty in Serial Killings

An 8-time serial killer was driven by anger and frustration combined with
childhood trauma and brain damage, his attorney on Monday told jurors who will
soon weigh whether the convicted killer should receive the death penalty.

As the penalty phase in the capital murder trial of Andrew Urdiales came to an
end, the 53-year-old killer's attorney argued that Urdiales feels remorse for
his actions and helped bring closure to the victim's families by confessing to
killing women in Orange, Riverside and San Diego counties.

Urdiales has been convicted of killing 1 woman in Orange County while stationed
as a U.S. Marine at Camp Pendleton; 4 women in Riverside and San Diego counties
while stationed at Twentynine Palms; and 3 women in Chicago while working as a
security guard after leaving the military.

Urdiales' attorney, Denise Gragg, during her closing arguments Monday noted
that had her client not brought up the California murders soon after being
arrested for the Chicago killings, law enforcement officials would not have
tied the slayings together.

"He didn't say he was crazy, he didn't say he was hallucinating, he didn't say
that God made him do it," Gragg said. "He was trying to figure out why he did
it, he didn't want to do it and he felt bad about doing it. Bad enough to go to
therapy for years, and bad enough that when he knew he was caught for the
Chicago murders to say 'call California'... that is worth something. That is
worth a lot."

The same Santa Ana jury last month found Urdiales guilty of the Orange County
murder of Robbin Brandley in 1986 in a Saddleback College parking lot in
Mission Viejo; and over the next 7 years the Riverside County killings of Julie
McGhee, Tammie Erwin and Denise Maney; and the San Diego slaying of Mary Ann
Wells. A Chicago jury previously convicted him of the killings of Laura Uylaki,
Cassandra Corum and Lynn Huberand.

During the most recent phase of the trial, jurors also heard dramatic testimony
from Jennifer Asbenson, who described in terrifying detail how she escaped from
Urdiales after being kidnapped and sexually assaulted in a remote Riverside
County desert.

Gragg contended that Urdiales was born with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, a
result of his mother's drinking during her pregnancy. His condition was
worsened by a childhood marked by emotional, physical, sexual and psychological
abuse, as well as teen years in which he was targeted for regular harassment,
the defense attorney said.

Gragg told jurors that Urdiales was unable to connect with others, particularly
women, and had "free-floating anger" that led him to "lash out."

"There are people who commit these crimes because they just enjoy it," Gragg
said. "They enjoy hurting other people. That is not Mr. Urdiales."

Deputy District Attorney Matt Murphy during his closing arguments. dismissed
what he referred to as the "sad, abused, loner narrative."

"Kind of tough to make friends when you keep killing people you could be
friends with," Murphy told jurors.

Murphy described Urdiales as a a "misogynistic, sadistic monster" who killed
for his own pleasure. The prosecutor questioned whether Urdiales actually
suffered from fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, arguing that he was capable of
controlling his impulse and desires.

Murphy also noted that Urdiales during one police interview told police he had
no remorse for killing Brandley, an aspiring broadcaster who was stabbed 41
times.

"What weight do we put on that?" Murphy asked the jury. "How many layers of
horror do we need before (death) is the appropriate penalty?"

Jurors began deliberations on Tuesday morning as to whether Urdiales should
receive the death penalty or life without the possibility of parole.

(source: military.com)

***********************

Gov. Brown should do the right thing and grant clemency to death row inmate
Kevin Cooper

Stymied by legal challenges, the state of California has not executed any of
its more than 700 condemned prisoners since 2006. But if the machinery of death
ever does rev back up, Kevin Cooper will be on the short list of people to
receive lethal injections. He shouldn't be, and Gov. Jerry Brown needs to
ensure that it doesn't happen.

Cooper was convicted of horrific crimes. Douglas and Peggy Ryen, their
10-year-old daughter Jessica, and 11-year-old houseguest Christopher Hughes
were hacked and slashed to death in June 1983. The Ryens' 8-year-old son Josh
miraculously survived having his throat cut.

Even though Cooper has spent more than 30 years on death row for the murders,
however, serious questions have lingered.

For instance, Josh Ryen initially told hospital workers that the family had
been attacked by 3 or 4 white men. Cooper is black.

What's more, a woman said that on the day of the murders, her former boyfriend
had been wearing a tan T-shirt similar to one found near the crime scene. She
also said he showed up at her house wearing blood-spattered coveralls. (The
coveralls were discarded by a sheriff's deputy, the blood untested.)

No matter what the DNA test finds, Brown should commute Cooper's sentence to
life in prison without parole.

The forensic evidence linking Cooper to the killings was thin, and there are
strong arguments that some of it was planted after his arrest. For instance,
years after Cooper's arrest, a blood test was performed on the tan T-shirt and,
according to analysts, the test detected his DNA. At first, that seemed to be
the incontrovertible scientific evidence that had for so long eluded
investigators - but an appellate judge noted that the blood on the T-shirt
contained signs of a chemical used by the sheriff's office to preserve blood in
a laboratory for later testing. According to the judge, that suggested the
blood "had been planted on the T-shirt."

That shirt remains at the center of the current battle over Cooper's guilt.
Trace DNA tests not available at the time of the crimes or Cooper's trial or
his earlier appeals could, experts argue, determine whether Cooper or someone
else had worn the shirt. But since Cooper has exhausted his appeals,
prosecutors have refused to conduct the test.

There are 2 outrages here. First, there is no rational reason not to do the
tests. A man's life hangs in the balance. If the state wants to execute
someone, it must go to extreme lengths to make certain the inmate is actually
guilty. It's true that Cooper has exhausted all his legal appeals, but that's
no reason to refuse to take another step to determine whether the state has
convicted the wrong man. It was just 6 weeks ago that Vicente Benavides
Figueroa was freed after a quarter-century on death row when it was finally
determined that the medical evidence against him was based on incomplete
records. 7 months ago, Craig Coley was released from a life sentence when new
DNA tests of evidence from his 1980 trial proved his innocence.

Second, there are serious accusations here about the planting of evidence and
the destruction of other evidence, the failure of prosecutors to share
exculpatory evidence with Cooper's lawyer, lies by investigators and other acts
of official misconduct. These demonstrate yet again why the capital punishment
process is too imperfect and manipulable to be relied upon. Even if the DNA
test doesn't provide incontrovertible proof that Cooper is innocent, it is
still the case that actions by police and prosecutors - such as throwing away
the bloody coveralls - deprived Cooper of due process and a fair trial.

Cooper filed this clemency petition more than 2 years ago, yet Brown has not
acted on it. No matter what the DNA test finds, Brown should commute Cooper's
sentence to life in prison without parole. (Because Cooper has prior felony
burglary convictions, four state Supreme Court justices would have to approve,
too.)

The Times opposes the death penalty under any circumstances in part because of
cases such as this, in which a person who may very well be innocent could get
executed. There is no known mechanism to ensure against that.

The governor, who also opposes the death penalty, knows the capital punishment
system is inherently flawed. And the Cooper case bares those flaws in
excruciating detail. The system has failed from beginning to end, and it would
be both an error of judgment and a failure of morality to keep Cooper on death
row any longer.

Brown has over his recent 8-year stint in the governor's office made tough
decisions on a range of issues. This one actually is easy. Brown should grant
clemency and see that the DNA test is conducted.

(source: Editorial, Los Angeles Times)

**********************

Suspect in weekend homicide could face death penalty

22-year-old Celina Victoria Ramirez may have been murdered as she waited at
night along a north Stockton boulevard because she was willing to testify as a
witness in another crime, according to charges presented in court Tuesday
against the young gang member accused of killing her.

In addition, the San Joaquin County District Attorney's Office believes that
defendant Alexes Daniel "Mumbles" Corrales, 20, carried out the murder of
Ramirez for the benefit of his gang. If convicted, he faces the possibility of
death or life in state prison without the possibility of parole.

Corrales, who is being held in County Jail without bail, appeared before a
judge Tuesday for his arraignment on numerous felonies, including suspicion of
murder with 3 special circumstances: murder of a witness, discharging a firearm
from a vehicle with the intent to kill and murder committed for a criminal
street gang.

He did not enter a plea Tuesday. Instead, Superior Court Judge Ron Northup
appointed the Public Defender's Office to represent Corrales and scheduled
further arraignment for June 26.

About 11:05 p.m. Saturday, Stockton police got a report of a person shot in a
busy commercial corridor on the east side of West Lane between East Hammer Lane
and Knickerbocker Drive. Responding officers found Ramirez on the sidewalk near
Normandy Village. She was suffering from at least 1 gunshot wound to the head,
according to authorities. The charge against Corrales implies that the shot
came from a passing vehicle.

When medics arrived, they declared Ramirez dead at the scene, police reported.

Corrales was arrested Sunday afternoon about 10 miles south of the crime scene
while driving on Arch Airport Road near Highway 99. The DA's Office reported
police found a shotgun in his car.

In September 2016, Corrales pleaded no contest - the same as a guilty plea - to
a felony charge of willful discharge of a firearm in a grossly negligent manner
and admitted to street gang activity, an enhancement to the charge. With that
plea, 2 other charges were dismissed and Corrales was sentenced to 16 months
with a condition that he register as a gang offender. His weapon was ordered
confiscated and destroyed, according to court documents.

Ultimately, Corrales walked out of jail within hours of sentencing due to time
already served. But the crime he was convicted of put one strike on his
criminal record. If convicted of these latest charges, he would get a 2nd
strike, according to the DA's Office.

In addition to the murder and special circumstances charges, some of the counts
also leveled against Corrales include suspicion of intentional discharge of a
firearm causing death, criminal street gang activity and 2 counts of being a
felon in possession of a firearm (a 9mm semiautomatic handgun and a shotgun).

Authorities have provided no further information, including what crime Ramirez
may have witnessed and details about Corrales' gang affiliation.

(source: Stockton Record)