[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Jul 2 08:07:32 CDT 2018

jULY 2

USA:

Support for death penalty rising, even among faiths----Percentage of approval
up since 2016

After 4 decades of decreasing support for the death penalty, the tables have
turned.

A recent Pew Research study showed that American support for the death penalty
has increased about 5 % since 2016. Today, 54 % of Americans support it while
39 % oppose. In 2016, a Pew study conducted in August and September stated that
49 % of Americans favored the death penalty. In the 1990s, the % in favor (78
%) was always greater than the opposing percentage (18 %).

The 2018 study showed the majority of the opposed are Democrats. Between the
Democrats and the Republicans, the Republicans hold a 77 % favor rate over the
Democrats who hold a 35 % support rate.

The statistics were broken down even further with race percentages. According
to the study, 59 % of whites, 36 % of blacks, and 47 % of Hispanics approve of
the death penalty for murder suspects. However, in 2016, 57 whites, 26 blacks,
and 36 Hispanics were in favor. In the 2016 and 2018 studies, the highest % of
favor came from whites and the highest % of opposed came from blacks with 52 %
in 2016 and 63 % in 2018. Whitney Wilson, an African American woman, believes
the rise in support of the death penalty has a lot to do with how society
chooses to enforce justice.

"I think, personally, the support has increased because society wants to hold
offenders accountable for their actions. Society cares less about the value of
a criminal's life. A while ago, society wanted to see offenders sit in prison
and learn from their mistakes, but now their view has changed."

According to Pew Research, Americans under the age of 30 are divided. Around 47
% of Americans are in favor of the death penalty while 46 % oppose. However,
those percentages are not far off from the ones of Americans aged 30 and above,
with 56 % of respondents between ages 30-49 in favor and ages 50 to 65 and
above in the same range. Willie Massey, 21, is in favor of the death penalty,
but only in certain situations.

"I think the death penalty should be used in extreme situations like mass
murders, serial killings, serial rapings, crimes against kids, and things of
that sort. It shouldn't be used on someone who has like drug related charges or
anything."

While there are differing race, age, and political opinions on the subject,
there are also many religious opinions. White evangelical Protestants in favor
of the death penalty for those who committed murder is at 73 %. Also, 61 % of
white mainline Protestants approve. Between Catholics and the unaffiliated, 53
and 48 % are in favor, respectively. Blanca Luna, a devoted Catholic, thinks
that even religious people can be in favor of the death penalty.

"It has always been a very tricky thing. I'm borderline both [in favor and
opposed]. Yeah, my decision is swayed because of my religion. I don't agree
with it but there are some cases where I would consider it. For example, in
serial killing cases."

Though the percentages of support are high for some religions, there is also a
sizable amount of worshipers who oppose. According to the People of Faith
Against the Death Penalty website, in 2012 the Durham-based organization
launched a campaign to repeal the death penalty. The campaign was brought to
the attention of the state of North Carolina, federal government, and the
military.

"Throughout the early history of PFADP, and into today, there has been a deep
and abiding moral and religious commitment among the organizers that
understands God's displeasure with capital punishment," the Rev. James Lewis,
PFADP co-founder and former president said on the organization website. "There
has been, as well, perseverance present among PFADP folks, guided by God's
spirit, that will not allow for rest until North Carolina and the nation closes
down the death chambers, once and for all."

(source: Charlotte Post)