Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Sep 20 06:04:02 CDT 2017

Sept. 20

INDIA:

Death penalty in hooch deaths in UP

Cases of hooch deaths could now attract death penalty in Uttar Pradesh. UP
cabinet on Tuesday decided to amend the excise act providing for death penalty
or life imprisonment in cases of hooch deaths in the state.

The decision was taken at the meeting of the cabinet here, official sources
said. The decision was taken to deter manufacturing and selling illicit liquor
in the state. Hundreds of lives are lost every year in the state from hooch.

Sources said that the amount of penalty in cases involving manufacturing
illicit liquor had also been substantially hiked.

(source: Deccan Herald)

BARBADOS:

Call made for death penalty research

There is a need for research relating to the death penalty and how the general
public views this type of punishment in Barbados.

This was the consensus after a session that was organised by Michelle
Brathwaite, National Human Rights Officer for Barbados and the OECS at the
United Nations, and conducted by Dr. Florence Seemungal; Dr. Lizzie Seal,
Senior Lecturer of Criminology at the University of Sussex; and Dr. Lynsey
Black, a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University College Dublin.

During the seminar, which was held recently at UN House, the findings of 3
studies that were carried out in Trinidad on homicides in that nation; how the
administrators of justice go about administrating their duties; and getting
public opinion on the matter were revealed.

"The outcome was driven by the profile of the participants. So we had maybe
around 26 persons and I would say that maybe around 80 % of the persons are
legally trained. So they came with an understanding already of how the death
penalty is imposed or not imposed, given the current legislation and case
outcomes of the courts, and they came to find out exactly how we conducted the
study of the methodology, how it may be applicable to Barbados. In Trinidad we
used case characteristics which were typical for Trinidad homicides.

"So they looked at all of these nuances and they thought that in general it was
important to do the research and that it was even more important to do it in a
Barbadian context..."

(source: barbadosadvocate.com)