Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Sep 18 06:20:12 CDT 2017

Sept. 18

VIETNAM:

Vietnam suspends prison staff in wake of death row breakout----The 2 inmates
spent months digging their way out with the guards apparently oblivious.

The Ministry of Public Security has suspended 13 guards and supervisors at a
prison in Hanoi for letting 2 inmates who were cuffed break out a week ago.

They have been held accountable for the escape of death row inmates Le Van Tho,
37, and Nguyen Van Tinh, 28, who shared a cell equipped with surveillance
cameras at T16 prison in Thanh Oai District on the capital's outskirts. Both
were recaptured in nearby provinces over the weekend after around 400 police
officers were deployed.

Tinh was sentenced to death in April for heroin trafficking. Tho got the death
penalty in May for drug trafficking, murder and fraud.

An investigation has found that Tho did most of the work by hiding a small
piece of iron in his anus and using it to dig a hole in the wall of their cell
over the space of several months. The 2 disguised the hole using rice mixed
with toothpaste, they said.

Tho is also a professional locksmith and was able to uncuff himself before
helping Tinh. They climbed out of the prison using a rope.

Investigators from the country's top prosecution agency have already opened a
criminal investigation, accusing guards and supervisors at the prison of
"neglecting responsibility resulting in the escape of detainees", which carries
up to 10 years in jail.

In October 2001, 13 officers and guards at a prison in Hanoi also received
punishments ranging from official warnings to demotions after 2 death row
inmates escaped. One was recaptured after a week and the other after 17 days.

(source: vnexpress.net)

INDONESIA:

Escaped Prisoners Face Death Sentences

Police stated that the 4 prisoners who escaped the West Jakarta Metro Police
custody would be subjected to layered articles and face the death penalty.

Head of Public Relations of Jakarta Metro Police, Senior Commissioner Argo
Yuwono, on Sunday (9/17/2017) urged the remaining 4 prisoners to surrender
themselves. He is also convinced that they would be immediately apprehended.

"On this occasion I urged the prisoners to turn themselves in as soon as
possible to West Jakarta Metro Police or to the nearest police station," said
Yuwono.

As reported, 8 prisoners escaped from West Jakarta Police custody by sawing off
the iron railings in Room 14 of West Jakarta Police Station, Saturday (9/16).

Currently, police have captured 4 out of the 8 prisoners, Yocke Arya Winta and
Bagas Fathiong Ramadhan bin Joko Susilo were injured, while Yudi Rohmansyah bin
Rohman and Franco Graizani Julizar bin Leo Francis were shot dead for trying to
fight of the police.

West Jakarta Metro Police assisted by Jakarta Metro Police have formed 7 teams
to capture Abbi Isa bin Muhamd Nur, Thio Erwin Gunawan, Kurniawan bin M Idrus,
and Ramlan bin Satin who are still at large.

(source: netralnews.com)

MALAYSIA:

Calls For Death Penalty For Those Who Started Tahfiz School Fire, Victim's
Father Says It Is Inappropriate

The aftermath of the tragic fire accident that occurred at the Darul Quran
Ittifaqiyah tahfiz school led to plentiful of Malaysians debating over
especially over just punishment following the news of 7 youths arrested for
suspected arson.

Amidst the sea of criticism and anguish, Malaysian Digest queried a few members
of the public in light of the arrest and found that majority are calling for
the suspects to be sent to the death row whilst criticising the parents of the
suspects.

"An eye for an eye - they deserved the death penalty for taking 23 lives away
from the loved ones," one frustrated citizen opined and questioned where are
the parents in this matter.

"They should be hanged to death for their crime. Because of petty teasing, they
succumb to murder. How were these animals raised?," another distraught citizen
relayed.

"As cruel as it is, they are deserving of the death penalty - but their
sentence is no more vicious than what they have done. Their punishment will
remind people that taking lives is never permissible," one citizen lamented.

While Malaysians are grief-stricken, it is safe to say that our pain pales in
comparison with the family of the victims, as Noorazlina Bakry emphasised that
she will not forgive those who are responsible for the demise of her
11-year-old son.

"I do not want to meet with them, I do not want to look at their face. I will
never forgive them for their crime," the 36-year-old mother tearfully
communicated to Berita Harian.

"I hope justice will be served. Let them serve a life prison sentence. What
kind of person would have the heart to commit such transgression ... towards
those who are enrolled in a religious school no less."

Meanwhile Harian Metro reported that a 46-year-old father of one of the
perished victims underlined that the death penalty is an inappropriate
punishment for the suspects.

"I believe there is no need to criticise the parents (of the suspects), as no
one would want their children to commit this act," said Norazizan Abd Razak and
emphasised that he does not blame the parents, even after 6 of the 7 were
tested positive for drugs.

"If it is true that they were under the influence of drugs, the death sentence
would not be able to correct the situation.

"Maybe a life-sentence in jail, and they can be taught lessons from the
al-Quran (which will help them) turn over a new leaf. This is just my personal
opinion, and I'm not sure how other families would react," he said.

His beloved son, Taufik Hidayat Norazizan, was one of 23 victims who perished
in the tragic blaze that occurred last Thursday (14 September).

"I last saw him on Tuesday last week, at Taman Tasik Dato' Keramat, which is
right behind the tahfiz school. We were both there coincidently, since the
tahfiz students are only allowed to go there on Wednesdays.

"I live near the school, so when I saw him, I bought some drinks and had a
conversation with him. He seemed very normal and nothing was odd in his
behaviour," the father of 5 recalled of his late 16-year-old son.

Sharing that Taufik was the third child and an immensely obedient son,
Norazizan conveyed that he accepts the loss of his son and stated that it was
the will of God.

While he regards this hard time as a challenge from God, he additionally
expressed his heartfelt gratitude for the prayers and expression of condolences
that the family has been showered with.

Our deepest condolence goes out to the family of those who perished, and we
take this opportunity to remind Malaysians to delay judgments while the
investigation is still on going.

(source: Malaysian Digest)