Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Sep 13 11:15:57 CDT 2017

Sept. 13

INDONESIA:

Drug dealer sentenced to death in Medan

The Medan District Court has declared Irwantoni, 38, guilty and sentenced him
to death for his involvement in the delivery of 270 kilograms of sabu-sabu
(crystal methamphetamine) from China.

The sentence was in accordance with what prosecutors sought.

In the verdict hearing held on Wednesday, presiding judge Saryana said
Irwantoni was proven to have sent the drugs from China to Dumai, Riau and
Medan, North Sumatra, violating the 2009 Narcotics Law.

"We sentenced the defendant with the death penalty," Saryana said.

Besides Irwantoni, 4 defendants - Daud aka Athiam, 47, Ayau, 40, Lukmansyah Bin
Nasrul, 36, and Jimmi Syahputra Bin Rusli, 27 - were handed the death penalty
in previous hearings in the case for their involvement in the delivery of the
drugs.

The delivery of the crystal meth was thwarted by personnel of the National
Narcotics Agency (BNN) on Oct. 17, 2015.

Meanwhile, personnel of the BNN's North Sumatra branch shot dead an alleged
drug dealer on Jl. Medan-Binjai KM 16, Sunggal, in Deli Serdang regency on
Tuesday evening.

The alleged dealer was believed to be part of the Medan-Binjai-Palembang drug
network.

"We shot dead 1 person and arrested 4 others. We seized 12 kilograms of
sabu-sabu from the network," BNN North Sumatra head Brig. Gen. Andi Loedianto
said on Wednesday.

(source: The Jakarta Post)