Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Jan 30 09:51:14 CST 2017

Jan. 30

SINGAPORE:

Suspect charged with wife's murder in Woodlands

A 41-year-old man was on Monday (Jan 30) charged with the murder of his wife,
who was found dead in a Woodlands flat on Saturday.

Singaporean Teo Ghim Heng allegedly murdered 39-year-old Choong Pei Shan
between 8am and 11am on Jan 20 in their 6th floor flat at Blk 619, Woodlands
Drive 52.

Channel NewsAsia understands that Teo then allegedly set Mdm Choong's body on
fire on Saturday, the 1st day of Chinese New Year.

Speaking to Channel NewsAsia, Mdm Choong's brother, Gordon Choong, said she was
pregnant, and was due to give birth in May. He added that Mdm Choong's family
is still coming to terms with her death.

Teo's case will be mentioned again on Feb 6; he faces the death penalty if
convicted of murder.

(source: channelnewsasia.com)

KUWAIT:

Kuwait executes 7 prisoners, and wants to lower the age for the death penalty

Kuwait has executed 7 prisoners - the 1st since 2013 - just days after Bahrain
carried out its 1st executions since 2010.

The authorities in Kuwait also announced that the age of eligibility for the
death penalty would soon be lowered to 16. This was made during a talk warning
students about the use of social media and the internet.

"We are witnessing a disastrous resurgence in executions throughout the Gulf -
even as the UK claims it is helping to improve human rights in the region.
Governments with close Gulf ties - including the UK - must urgently call on
Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia to halt executions, before more lives are
lost."----Harriet McCulloch, Deputy Director of the death penalty team at
Reprieve

The rise of executions in the Gulf

The execution of juveniles is illegal under international law. But in 2016
Saudi Arabia executed several prisoners who were arrested as juveniles. The
Saudi authorities executed a total of 154 prisoners last year, nearing the
previous year's record total of 158.

At least 3 Saudis who were children when they were arrested remain at imminent
risk of execution.

In Bahrain, there are imminent fears for 2 men who were sentenced to death
after they were arrested in the wake of political protests and tortured into
'confessions'.

The executions come as the UK seeks closer ties with the Gulf. During a visit
to Bahrain last month, Prime Minister Theresa May told Gulf leaders: "We in the
UK are determined to continue to be your partner of choice as you embed
international norms and see through the reforms which are so essential for all
of your people."

Reprieve has urged the UK, and other governments, to intervene to prevent
Kuwait from sentencing juveniles to death; and to take action to stop further
executions in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

(source: reprieve.org.uk)

IRAN----juvenile executions

2 Juvenile Prisoners Executed

2 juvenile offenders were executed in Kerman (southeastern Iran) and Tabriz
(northwestern Iran) prisons. This is in addition to the more than 70 people who
have been executed since the beginning of 2017. Iran Human Rights calls for
international reactions to the wave of executions and in particular juvenile
executions in Iran.

"We want abolition of the death penalty, and as a first step abolition of the
death penalty for all offences committed while under age of 18. We are calling
on the international community, especially the United Nations and the European
Union, to place abolition of the death penalty, in particilar the death penalty
for juveniles, at the top of their talks with the Iranian authorities," says
Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, spokesperson of Iran Human Rights.

The Iranian authorities lead the world in the most executions of minors,
despite the revisions made to the Islamic Penal Code and that child executions
violate Iran's international obligations.

Arman Bahr Asemani - Convicted of murder at age 16

Iran Human Rights has received confirmation on the execution of a a juvenile
prisoner who was convicted of murder at the age of 16.

"Arman Bahr Asemani, born February 10, 1997, convicted in November 2012 of
murdering his cousin, was hanged on Sunday January 15, 2017 at Kerman's Shahab
Prison," a close source tells Iran Human Rights.

"Bahr Asemani, who was 20 years old at the time of his execution, had also been
condemned to 74 lashings on the charge of consumption of alcohol. Hs lawyer had
attempted to argue that if [Arman] was drunk, then he should not have been
charged with first degree murder, but the lawyer never got anywhere," says the
close source.

Iranian official sources had announced an execution at Shahab Prison of a
23-year-old prisoner charged with murder; however, there was no mention of Bahr
Asemani's execution.

Hassan Hassanzadeh - Convicted of murder at age 15

The human rights news agency HRANA reports on the execution of a juvenile
prisoner at Tabriz Prison on Wednesday January 18. The prisoner, identified as
Hassan Hassanzadeh, was reportedly around 15 years old when he was convicted of
murder. He was reportedly jailed for about two and a half years before he was
executed at the age of 18.

**********************

2 Prisoners Hanged on Drug Charges

2 prisoners were reportedly hanged at Arak Prison (Markazi province, central
Iran) on drug related charges. According to the human rights news agency HRANA,
the executions were carried out on Wednesday January 25. The prisoners have
been identified as Seifollah Chezabi and Alireza Jalayeri.

Mr. Chezabi and Mr. Jalayeri were reportedly taken to solitary confinement the
day before their executions. Iranian official sources, including the Judiciary
and the media, have not announced the execution of these 2 prisoners.

Executions for drug related charges are increasing in Iran while the Iranian
Parliament has proposed a law to limit the use of the death penalty for drug
charges. The law must first be approved by Iran's Guardian Council, and it is
not clear whether it would actually lead to a reduction in the number of drug
related executions. Additionally, members of parliament recently wrote a letter
to the head of the Judiciary calling for a halt to the execution sentences of
about 5,0000 prisoners who are on death row for allegedly committing drug
related offenses.

(source for both: Iran Human Rights)

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO:

AG admits hands are tied by court system

"You cannot just string people up and hang them."

The growing public outcry for hangings to resume come as the murder rate soared
to 53 for the year to date over the weekend.

Al-Rawi said as AG he supported the death penalty as it was the law, but noted
there was a convoluted court process which often times stymied the death
penalty from being carried out.

"The death penalty has not been carried out for many years because of the
operation of delays. It is important to remember that the system included for
the conviction process...after one is convicted at the Assizes, it then goes
through a 3-stage process of appeal," Al-Rawi said, adding that this included
the Appeal Court, Privy Council and then by way of petition to the
Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.

"The law right now is opened to be carried out against people only after the
appellate process is compete. The serious delays we have as a country are faced
really in the Privy Council and at the Inter-American Court."

He said his office is currently tracking every case in the Court of Appeal and
Privy Council and in particular where the State has involvement.

Regarding the Inter-American Court, Al-Rawi said the delays were very worrying,
citing that the completion of a petition, including the publication of the
report of recommendation in that court, took some 11 years.

"So it seems almost that T&T's compliance with the rules of participation in
that court are bound to make applications fail. That is a matter for country to
decide on participation in the international environment," he said.

"But the Privy Council statistics are no better and what I noticed,
particularly under the last government's management, the death penalty was not
carried out at all and no statement of intent to carry it out was ever given.
There was nothing in place when I came in as AG to track the system to make
sure the State was ready on all occasions."

He said measures like the Criminal Proceedings rule, which were expected to
come on stream in April, was part of the measures expected to speed up the
processes. But the AG said it was a difficult to give a time frame by which
hangings could resume.

"Until the final appellate process in those 3 stages is over you can't hang
anyone. You have the right to appeal," Al-Rawi said, as he added that the
introduction of public defenders would also aim to speed up the process.

There are currently 33 people on death row, out of which 11 have had their
sentences committed to life imprisonment due to the Pratt and Morgan ruling,
which speaks to the fact that it would be cruel and inhumane punishment to
carry out the death penalty after a prolonged period of delay, in most cases 5
years.

Bring on death penalty - cops

Police Service Social and Welfare Association president, Insp Michael Seales,
has joined the public cry for the death penalty to be immediately resumed.

He said yesterday that it was totally unacceptable that the murder rate for
this month, 53 up to last evening, was the highest in the last 4 years.

He added that it was difficult to understand why the runaway crime rate
appeared so difficult to arrest.

"It means that people are not afraid of the Police Service at all and when you
have murders occurring on the door step of the station, you have to understand
that we are in a crisis and if we do not recognise we are in a crisis, anarchy
is going to come," Seales said, warning that the situation would only become
worse for law enforcement.

Regarding the recent press conference held by the AG, National Security
Minister Edmund Dillon and acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams, which
sought to allay the fears of citizens, Seales said this would not work as
"robber talk" was not the answer.

"We need direct interaction to ensure there was some sense of tranquillity in
this country. It also shows that our criminal justice system is not responding
in the way it should be responding," Seales said.

*******************

Death penalty won't stop murders, Doma boss

The T&T Manufacturers' Association (TTMA) says while they are not surprised by
the calls for the death penalty to be enforced, the taking of a life by the
State will not compensate for the lives already taken.

Not convinced that murders will decrease if the death penalty law is enforced,
TTMA president Rolph Balgobin said yesterday he in fact expects more violence,
which will result in a further increase in the homicide rate.

However, he said no one body or group could be specifically blamed.

"It is not the fault of the acting Commissioner or the Prime Minister or any
government; it certainly isn't going to be suppressed by the gun-toting police
we have posing everywhere. It is our fault," Balgobin said in an emailed
response to questions on the matter.

As though suggesting that the resignation of Acting Commissioner of Police
Stephen Williams would not solve the crime and by extension the high homicide
rate, Balgobin said Williams is "hostage to a dysfunctional system in which he
has virtually no power."

He added, "The murder rate is not the product of a police problem, although
detection rates are low, violent crime is the outcome of societal problems
which have been completely ignored."

Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and Elton Prescott, SC have
also joined a host of people in several quarters calling for the enforcement of
the death penalty as a deterrent to the spiralling murder rate.

In a statement on the rising murder toll over the weekend, Prime Minister Dr
Keith Rowley also described the killings as traumatic and unacceptable.

Specific to the murder rate, Balgobin said the increase in murders was,
"indicative of the expansion of criminal activity in our society, not merely an
expression that we are getting more violent, although that's true too."

What is clear, he said, is that the crime is not, "the Prime Minister's problem
to resolve. We must instead work together to fashion a common set of
alternatives to criminal life to give people hope. We have failed to do that."

President of the Downtown Owners' and Merchants Association (DOMA), Gregory
Aboud, meanwhile said the time for enforcement of the law had come. He said the
business community was concerned with the state of the country and not just the
state of the economy.

"We, like other citizens, have gotten to stage where we are becoming somewhat
unravelled and despondent. It is not that we have lost hope for our country,
but our hopes are being battered," he said.

"Our hopes are battered by the reality that we are facing. That reality is a
situation that is being discussed rapidly and constantly dominates every
conversation I have been in."

Aboud reiterated that the business community is ready to offer management
solutions to this crisis of lawlessness. The state of lawlessness, he said, is
entirely a management issue, the management of the judicial services, security
services and overall management of safety.

Aboud said society is in a state where accountability has been eroded to zero.
Whatever the motive is for the killings, he said what is clear is that people
are not being held accountable. In other words, he said it was time to start to
arrest and charge people for crime and homicide and then incorporate the other
solutions for crime.

(source for both: guardian.co.tt)

PHILIPPINES:

POLL: Should the death penalty be reinstated?

Should the death penalty be reinstated? THE restoration of capital punishment
in the Philippines took a step closer to passage as the House justice committee
approved the death penalty bill last December 7, 2016 and the measure is now
slated for plenary debates. Critics voiced out their opposition to the passage
of the bill in the committee level, saying it was hastened. But should the
death penalty be reinstated? What do you think?

see:
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/01/30/poll-should-death-penalty-be-reinstated-522888

(source: sunstar.com.ph)

**************

Death penalty debates open Tuesday

The House of Representatives is expected to open plenary deliberations on the
proposed revival of the death penalty tomorrow, Tuesday.

"The bill will be sponsored on Tuesday at the latest," said majority leader
Rodolfo Farinas.

The substitute bill will be sponsored on the floor by its authors, including
Oriental Mindoro Rep. Reynaldo Umali.

The measure is a priority legislation of the Duterte administration for the
year.

President Duterte has vowed to execute 5 to 6 lawbreakers every day once
Congress revives the death penalty.

Buhay party-list Rep. Lito Atienza, an opponent of capital punishment, said the
House should first pass the bill lowering individual and corporate income taxes
before debating on the measure reviving the death penalty.

"Let us focus on passing the positives, and abandon the negatives. Tax cuts are
highly positive. The death penalty is extremely negative," Atienza said.

The measure lowering income taxes is still being heard by the committee on ways
and means.

"The bill lowering income taxes is obviously among the priorities of both
chambers, so we should approve it first, more so because the Senate cannot pass
any tax reform bill until it has been endorsed by the House," Atienza said.

The lawmaker cited Article 6, Section 24 of the 1987 Constitution, which
mandates that: "All appropriation, revenue or tariff bills, bills authorizing
increase of the public debt, bills of local application, and private bills
shall originate exclusively in The House of Representatives, but the Senate may
propose or concur with amendments."

While it is a House priority, Atienza pointed out that the proposed restoration
of the death penalty is not among the urgent bills that the Senate plans to
approve in the 17th Congress.

He said even Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III could not assure it would
get the support of the higher chamber.

"We should take the cue from the Senate, which has categorically declared that
while reducing income taxes is among their main concerns, the re-imposition of
death sentences is not among their priorities," he said.

Farinas has said the leadership will consult with the senators on the divisive
measure.

Atienza warned of more police abuses once the death penalty bill is revived.

"You can count on it. Corrupt police officers engaged in all sorts of criminal
activities will have a heyday. They will use the mere threat of death sentences
to get whatever they want from their targets - from their victims. We will have
more cases like those of Korean business executive Jee Ick-Joo," he said.

House Bill No. 1 filed by Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez seeks to punish offenders
convicted of drug felonies, murder, rape, robbery, carjacking, kidnapping,
bribery, plunder, parricide, infanticide, destructive arson, piracy and
treason.

It also seeks to impose capital punishment on the following: importation of
dangerous drugs and paraphernalia; sale, trading, distribution and
transportation of dangerous drugs; maintenance of a drug den, dive, or resort;
manufacture of dangerous drugs; possession of dangerous drugs; cultivation or
culture of plants classified as dangerous drugs; unlawful prescription;
criminal liability of a public officer or employee for misappropriation,
misapplication, or failure to account for the confiscated, seized and/or
surrendered dangerous; criminal liability for planting evidence concerning
illegal drugs.

There are 22 crimes that will be punishable by capital punishment under the
measure but lawmakers have decided to lower it when the bill is amended in the
plenary.

(source: malaya.com.ph)

******************

Humanism and the death penalty

In his 1950 Nobel Prize lecture, Bertrand Russell reminded us that "the main
thing needed to make the world happy is intelligence." This optimistic
conclusion was derived from the belief that liberal education can foster the
value and agency of each person. Liberal education looks into the sciences
rather than biblical revelation in order to advance a way of understanding the
world. The right thing to do, in this regard, is to introduce the human
individual to secular principles that will ultimately make one's mind truly
independent.

For Cicero, humans are to be distinguished from animals through language.
Speech, when linked with the power of thought, enabled citizens to dialogue
with one another and live in harmony "under the rule of law." Humanism teaches
us that only an open mind trained in the arts, poetry, and philosophy can solve
the problems bedeviling society. Thus, humanist education in our universities
is an attempt to liberate the young from the stifling rigidity of ideology and
dogma.

The Enlightenment taught that the love for humanity necessitates the love for
reason. Humanism means the adherence to reason as the sole creator of virtue.
Humanism, in this way, is an ideology as well as a religion. The humanist
pursues one particular truth - that the human being is above all else. This is
the spirit of the liberal tradition, which is also a way of looking at the
world. It takes root in the nature of the individual as a free and rational
being.

Humanism, of course, is an intellectual program. Its liberal stance primarily
asserts the primacy and value of human freedom. A young man in college will
learn that it is through the moral good that a person secures his place in the
whole scheme of things. But what is the meaning of this moral good? The
ultimate moral good, it can be argued, begins with the individual's desire to
do one's duty to society. But this human desire must emanate from an
unencumbered will. Moral education in the country is based only loosely on the
humanist tradition. This is because teachers themselves, including the school
environment, unmistakably carry certain values that are already embedded in our
own culture. "We are what we believe we are," says C.S. Lewis. Filipinos are a
result of an irreversible historical process. Philippine society has a very
different situated identity from the West.

For instance, we have never been critically minded. We do not question the lack
of decency of some of our public officials. But what is more appalling is that
all the violence right now unfolding before our eyes might only come as
impersonal. We no longer see the victim as a human being. Indeed, we must ask:
What has happened to humanist education in this country? Have we Filipinos
misplaced all the values of humanity?

The current mood of the Filipino public is that it thinks any individual can be
sacrificed for the sake of our brand of social solidarity. As such, as long as
public interest is used to justify the death penalty for a boy as young as 12,
some Filipinos might believe that no moral wrong is being committed. Most of us
reason that this very young "criminal," who has now become an enemy of the
state, himself knows that what he has done can bring him instantaneous death.
Yet, in so doing, we have disregarded the reality of unjust social structures
that served as virulent preconditions for the anatomy of a crime.

It is unconscionable for many among us not to realize that bringing the tragic
death sentence back, even to a person who is so young, only makes manifest that
our society has not overcome the pangs of elitist rule, and this is because the
poor will remain at the receiving end of the infirmities of our legal system.
In reality, those who are in power are just taking advantage of our tragic
sense of nationhood that has characterized our fate as a people.

(source: Christopher Ryan Maboloc teaches philosophy at Ateneo de Davao
University and is the author of "Ethics and Human
Dignity."----opinion.inquirer.net)

******************

Compassion for death convicts before execution

The death penalty, as espoused by President Duterte, got the nod of the
majority of the members of the House of Representatives ("House committee OKs
death penalty," News, 12/8/16) and it is now the turn of the Senate to either
approve or reject it.

The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines has expressed its
disapproval of the death penalty; so have other human rights groups. With the
President's men in the Senate in full support of the death penalty, chances are
that the Senate will approve it, too. As a nation adhering to democratic and
Christian principles, I am sure our people are divided on the death penalty
issue.

President Duterte has been clear about it. It's the death penalty for people
who committed heinous crimes - a kind of retribution. There are crimes too
inhuman, (a young student stabbed to death 39 times during a robbery in a
vacant alley; a young girl raped and killed) that we cannot help but wish death
upon the offenders.

In the Bible, we read about how God's divine wrath hit hard on evildoers (e.g.,
a great flood, rain of fire). But God did not mete out His punishments without
first warning people through His prophets. And those who listened were saved.
Here, it is clear that God hates sin but has compassion for the sinners, even
the vilest of them all.

Is the death penalty a deterrent to the commission of heinous crimes? Will it
rid our society of lawless elements and protect us from being victims, or will
a life sentence be enough to do this? But won't convicts with life sentences
cram further our already crowded prisons and compete with our hungry poor for
funds - as during their imprisonment, government must provide them regular food
rations? How many will stay in prison up to old age, wasting away their lives
until they die? How many of these convicts will worsen as criminal characters
while in jail or get killed during prison riots?

In the face of rampant criminality, especially heinous crimes against children
and women, maybe the death penalty can serve as a strong warning for others of
similar, criminal disposition. But there is nothing more humane and
compassionate than leading them first into reconciliation with God, and thus be
assured of salvation before they are executed.

THERESA PILI-NISPEROS, Gagalangin, Tondo, Manila

(source: Letter to the Editor, Philippine Inquirer)