[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Jan 11 15:45:26 CST 2017

Jan. 11

TEXAS----impending execution

Texas Killer Christopher Wilkins Tries to Stop Year's 1st Execution

A Texas man who claims his lawyers did a bad job of defending him against
charges he callously murdered 2 men could become the 1st prisoner executed this
year if the U.S. Supreme Court doesn't call off his Wednesday night lethal
injection.

Christopher Wilkins, 48, is set to die for fatally shooting Willie Freeman, 40,
and Mike Silva, 33, because he was angry that he was tricked into paying $20
for a rock disguised as a chuck of crack cocaine.

Wilkins admitted to the 2005 double slaying - and claimed he had committed
another murder and other crimes - during the sentencing phase of his trial.

"I tend to want to take the easy way out," the ex-con truck driver told the
court. "I make bad decisions. I know they're bad decisions when I'm making
them. I make them anyway.

"I think subconsciously, I've been trying to kill myself or get myself killed
since I was probably 12 or 13 years old," he added.

In his appeals, Wilkins has argued that his attorney ignored his wish to plead
guilty and did not put on a vigorous defense and that an appellate lawyer had a
huge conflict of interest, having already accepted a job with the prosecutor's
office.

Executions hit a 30-year low in the United States last year, in part because
some states were unable to obtain the needed drugs or put lethal injections on
hold after executions that did not go as planned.

Texas has a supply of drugs, but the number of lethal injections in the state
fell by nearly 1/2 to to s7 last year. Georgia had the most executions - 9 - in
2016.

(source: NBC news)

USA:

Charleston bishop opposes death sentence for man convicted of killing
churchgoers

Jurors unanimously agreed to sentence Dylann Roof to death for killing 9 black
churchgoers.

In closing statements before the deliberation Jan. 10, the unrepentant
22-year-old told jurors that "I still feel like I had to do it," the Associated
Press reported.

Bishop Robert E. Guglielmone said in a statement that the Catholic Church
opposes capital punishment and reminded people that all life is sacred. "We are
all sinners, but through the father's loving mercy and Jesus' redeeming
sacrifice upon the cross, we have been offered the gift of eternal life. The
Catholic opposition to the death penalty, therefore, is rooted in God's mercy.
The church believes the right to life is paramount to every other right as it
affords the opportunity for conversion, even of the hardened sinner," Bishop
Guglielmone said.

"Sentencing Dylann Roof to death conflicts with the church's teaching that all
human life is sacred, even for those who have committed the most heinous of
crimes. Instead of pursuing death, we should be extending compassion and
forgiveness to Mr. Roof, just as some of the victims' families did at his bond
hearing in June 2015," the bishop added.

The jury had to reach a unanimous decision to sentence Roof to death. Had they
disagreed, he would have been automatically sentenced to life in prison. He was
convicted of 33 federal charges last month, including hate crimes. Roof acted
as his own attorney and did not question any witnesses. In his FBI confession,
he said he hoped the massacre would bring back segregation or start a race war,
the Associated Press reported.

Bishop Guglielmone offered prayers of support for those who were killed and
their families.

"Our Catholic faith sustains our solidarity with and support for the victims of
the Emanuel AME Church massacre and their relatives. We commit ourselves to
walk with these family members as well as the survivors as they continue to
heal from the trial and this tragedy," he said.

The bishop asked people to continue to pray for the victims, survivors and
families connected with the shooting. He also encouraged people to pray for
Roof and his family.

"May he acknowledge his sins, convert to the Lord and experience his loving
mercy," Bishop Guglielmone said.

The Rev. Clementa Pinckney, pastor of Emanuel AME Church, Tywanza Sanders, the
Rev. Sharonda Singleton, the Rev. DePayne Middleton-Doctor, the Rev. Daniel
Simmons Sr., the Rev. Cynthia Hurd, Myra Thompson, Ethel Lance, and Susie
Jackson were killed in the shooting.

(source: catholicregister.org)

***********************

U.S. Seeks Death Penalty for Fort Lauderdale Airport Gunman

The Iraq war veteran accused of killing 5 travelers and wounding 6 others at a
busy international airport in Florida was charged Saturday and could face the
death penalty if convicted.

Esteban Santiago, 26, told investigators that he planned the attack, buying a
1-way ticket to the Fort Lauderdale airport, a federal complaint said.
Authorities don't know why he chose his target and have not ruled out
terrorism.

Santiago was charged with an act of violence at an international airport
resulting in death - which carries a maximum punishment of execution - and
weapons charges.

"Today's charges represent the gravity of the situation and reflect the
commitment of federal, state and local law enforcement personnel to continually
protect the community and prosecute those who target our residents and
visitors," U.S Attorney Wifredo Ferrer said.

Authorities said during a news conference that they had interviewed roughly 175
people, including a lengthy interrogation with the cooperative suspect, a
former National Guard soldier from Alaska. Flights had resumed at the Fort
Lauderdale airport after the bloodshed, though the terminal where the shooting
happened remained closed.

Santiago spoke to investigators for several hours after he opened fire with a
Walther 9mm semi-automatic handgun that he appears to have legally checked on a
flight from Alaska. He had two magazines with him and emptied both of them,
firing about 15 rounds, before he was arrested, the complaint said.

Americans are 15 pounds heavier, on average, then they were 20 years ago, which
tells only part of the story. That increase in weight equates to 2/3 of people
living in the U.S. designated as overweight and obese. What is that doing to
EMS professionals?

"We have not identified any triggers that would have caused this attack. We're
pursuing all angles on what prompted him to carry out this horrific attack,"
FBI Agent George Piro said.

Investigators are combing through social media and other information to
determine Santiago's motive, and it's too early to say whether terrorism played
a role, Piro said. In November, Santiago had walked into an FBI field office in
Alaska saying the U.S. government was controlling his mind and forcing him to
watch Islamic State group videos, authorities said.

"He was a walk-in complaint. This is something that happens at FBI offices
around the country every day," FBI agent Marlin Ritzman said.

U.S. Seeks Death Penalty for Fort Lauderdale Airport Gunman

On that day, Santiago had a loaded magazine on him, but had left a gun in his
vehicle, authorities said. He bought his newborn child with him into the
office. Officers seized the weapon and local officers took him to get a mental
health evaluation. His girlfriend picked up the child.

On Dec. 8, the gun was returned to Santiago. Authorities wouldn't say if it was
the same gun used in the airport attack.

Santiago had not been placed on the U.S. no-fly list and appears to have acted
alone, authorities said.

The attack sent panicked witnesses running out of the terminal and spilling
onto the tarmac, baggage in hand. Others hid in bathroom stalls or crouched
behind cars or anything else they could find as police and paramedics rushed in
to help the wounded and establish whether there were any other gunmen.

Mark Lea, 53, had just flown in from Minnesota with his wife for a cruise when
he heard 3 quick cracks, like a firecracker. Then came more cracks, and "I knew
it was more than just a firecracker," he said.

Making sure his wife was outside, Lea helped evacuate some older women who had
fallen, he said. Then he saw the shooter.

"He was just kind of randomly shooting people," he said. "If you were in his
path, you were going to get shot. He was walking and shooting."

Over the course of about 45 seconds, the shooter reloaded twice, he said. When
he was out of bullets, he walked away, dropped the gun and lay face down,
spread eagle on the floor, Lea said.

By that time, a deputy had arrived and grabbed the shooter. Lea put his foot on
the gun to secure it.

Lea went to help the injured and a woman from Iowa asked about her husband, who
she described. Lea saw a man who fit his description behind a row of chairs,
motionless, shot in the head and lying in a pool of blood, he said. The man,
Michael Oehme, was identified as one of the dead victims on Saturday.

Santiago had been discharged from the National Guard last year after being
demoted for unsatisfactory performance. Bryan Santiago said Saturday that his
brother had requested psychological help but received little assistance.
Esteban Santiago said in August that he was hearing voices.

"How is it possible that the federal government knows, they hospitalize him for
only 4 days, and then give him his weapon back?" Bryan Santiago said.

His mother declined to comment as she stood inside the screen door of the
family home in Puerto Rico, wiping tears from her eyes. The only thing she said
was that Esteban Santiago had been tremendously affected by seeing a bomb
explode next to 2 of his friends when he was around 18 years old while serving
in Iraq.

Santiago will make his 1st court appearance Monday.

It is legal for airline passengers to travel with guns and ammunition as long
as the firearms are put in a checked bag - not a carry-on - and are unloaded
and locked in a hard-sided container. Guns must be declared to the airline at
check-in.

Despite his mental evaluation, U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler said Santiago would
have been able to legally possess a gun because he had not been judged mentally
ill, which is a high standard.

Santiago arrived in Fort Lauderdale after taking off from Anchorage aboard a
Delta flight Thursday night, checking only 1 piece of luggage - his gun.