Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Jan 2 07:44:40 CST 2017

Jan. 2

KUWAIT:

Kuwait sentences parents to death for killing toddler----Kuwait's interior
ministry says the parents were drug addicts

A court in Kuwait on Monday, January 2, sentenced a couple to death after
finding them guilty of torturing their 3-year-old daughter until she died, it
said in a statement.

The parents, both Kuwaitis, were arrested in May and accused of beating and
torturing the girl until she died and then keeping her body in a freezer for a
week.

The court statement only gave the verdict but, according to media reports at
the time of their arrest, they had been annoyed by their daughter's constant
crying.

The father, 26-year-old Salem Buhan, and mother, 23-year-old Amira Hussein,
were charged with murder after police found burn marks on the shoulders and
legs of the toddler's body, according to the interior ministry.

The ministry also said they were drug addicts.

The verdict is not final as it must be reviewed by the appeals and supreme
courts.

Executions in Kuwait are carried out by hanging.

Barring the execution of 5 men in mid-2013, the Gulf emirate has stopped
executing people since 2007 although dozens of men and women are on death row.

(source: rappler.com)

PHILIPPINES:

Death penalty is no guarantee of a crime-free Philippines

(This column gives way to the following article on the now-raging issue of the
re-imposition of the death penalty written by Dr. Ricardo S.D. Ledesma, an
active Church leader and a Papal Awardee, "Pro-Ecclesia et Pontificie." A
physician, he was former president of the of the Laity of Manila. He sent the
article to this columnist with his request that it be considered for
publication.)

During these stressful times, our country is enveloped with more shadows than
light, more darkness of fear, doubts, hopelessness, and anxiety with the rising
cases of extrajudicial killings, drug addictions, and acts of terrorism. People
are living in darkness. There is an impending crisis in our country... crisis
of FAITH and a crisis of HOPE.

As the year 2016 draws to a close, we are reminded of the wonderful script of
CHRISTMAS, intensely preparing for the joyous coming of JESUS, our Savior and
Redeemer.

Recent available surveys showed that many Filipinos are getting discouraged by
the sad state of the nation with more than 6,000 lives reportedly lost to
unresolved extrajudicial killings (EJKs) being linked to war on illegal drugs.
Daily print, broadsheets, and TV channels show gruesome photographs of corpses
covered by cardboards with print messages, "I am a fixer," "I am a pusher." "Do
not emulate me."

The story of Christmas although ancient is always made new - "how God became
flesh and lived among us, to be like us in all things but sin... to be
"Emmanuel" reminding men and women that God is with us at all times. Our
welcoming Jesus this Christmas is to highlight that Jesus is the "Unconquered
Son of Justice" who come to dispel the darkness of the world held captive by
sin and ignorance. His coming tells us that He made Himself human to be one of
us, to bring His love to all of us, especially the poor, the orphan, sick,
disabled, and the oppressed.

For the past 6 months, people have been seriously bothered by a growing concern
on the government's brutal war on drugs, and lately the urgent priority to pass
the death penalty by the Committee on Justice in the House of Representatives.

Our celebration of Christmas is a celebration of LIFE and a celebration of
Hope. Jesus Christ came to liberate human beings from the clutches of sin and
death. The first purple candle lighted on the First Sunday of Advent signified
that JESUS is the light of the world. Revival of the death penalty is not a
solution to the mounting crimes of drugs and criminality. There are no
scientific or reliable statistical grounds that the death penalty has a
significant deterrent effect on rising heinous crimes.

On the contrary, death penalty has produced more collateral negative damage
such as it does not discourage criminals from recommitting the same crimes but
it encourages a cycle of revenge from relatives or friends, and creates more
suffering to families of victims. Let us be reminded of the message of Pope
Francis, a Call to Mercy, "to open our hearts to the mercy of God and to treat
one another with love. Let us enable the power of God's love to transform our
lives" (Urbi et Orbi).

The Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy may have closed this year but Pope
Francis in his apostolic letter "Missericordia et Misera" emphasized the "work
of mercy must continue."

The Catholic Church is absolutely opposed to the death penalty in any form or
circumstances. It is immoral and violates the right of LIFE. Only God can fill
such shadows of rising unresolved EJKs. The bigger attendance of devotees
during the 9-day "Simbang Gabi" showed to their strong faith that the Church
and God are their final refuge.

To all our leaders in government, together with our netizens, let us put God in
the center of our lives, particularly in this trial moments in our noble drive
to stop the mounting crimes due to drug addiction. Let us all be open to God,
allow us to discover Him, to listen to Him and His teachings, how to gain Peace
not by force but by careful and diligent adherence to the Rule of Law and due
process which is functional, reformative, and humane.

Let us ask JESUS for the grace to see the Light so that we may know the Truth
and have the courage to live up to the life of fullness.

Let us keep the life of hope burning in the shadows of each day and be part of
a real transformation, a self-transformation from our attitudes, and spirit of
selfless love for God, country and people.

God bless us all.

(source: Column, Elinando Cinco; Manila Bulletin)