Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Apr 4 08:38:40 CDT 2017

April 4

BAHAMAS:

Death Penalty Limitations

Re: 'Criminals Will Ravage Country Unless Death Penalty Enforced' (February 28)

It is absolutely mind-boggling that any reasonable person would tout
enforcement of the death penalty as a worthwhile solution to crime.

Leaving out well-meaning considerations of ethics and religious beliefs etc, it
has never been proven to lower crime rates significantly. Therefore, why
continue to spout the crime-reducing benefits of a death penalty?

Reliance on the death penalty sounds like such an attractively easy and obvious
solution. Furthermore, state-sanctioned homicide often has instant appeal to an
apprehensive electorate (as long as it's done in private, of course). It grabs
the imagination and fires up one's baser emotions very nicely.

But in order to improve our crime situation, we must also educate our young
properly and use harsh approaches like tough love, community service in
distinctive dress, curfews, aversion methods and public humiliation (such as
caning) liberally. This should not only better their brutish lives but improve
ours as well.

At present, far too many of our young people are actually too stupid to
comprehend the meaning of a death penalty or any other kind of penalty - unless
significant physical pain and/or degradation are involved (please spare me any
references to slavery). Furthermore, the imbeciles are often so incredibly dumb
that they frequently believe they are invincible and will not get caught. This
lack of critical reasoning is carried over into adulthood.

On top of all that, they are too mindless to care. Many a bleeding heart will
be shocked at terminology such as this. They might prefer to talk about
poverty, lack of love in the home, low self esteem, culpability of the church
and society etc. Others may even suggest formation of yet another committee to
look into crime. Meanwhile, it's as if the Bahamian house is burning. When
there is a fire, there is little point in discussing the problem. We have to
put the fire out. Immediately.

It would be nice if all the aspects of crime could be handled with a simple
solution, such as the death penalty, but unfortunately, as much as we would
wish it to be, it simply is not the case. It never has been and never will be.

We tend to focus on homicides when talking about crime, but homicides are
simply a final symptom of the widespread disease of lawlessness. Homicide is
not the first and only crime performed by these dangerously silly, mental
midgets. Homicide is frequently a result of the previous life of crime that led
up to it. Therefore, we have to recognise the 'broken windows syndrome' as
well.

It is now essential to make some hard, expensive efforts to guide/teach the
rudiments of civilised behaviour forcefully to these cowardly and violent
predators. If this also means passing appropriate laws, or an introduction of a
mandatory National Youth Service etc, then we should do it. Also, we must stop
overlooking crimes of friends, family, lovers and especially our professionals
and other 'leaders'. We have to confront our failures and admit the only hope
for our young, trigger-happy nitwits to become somewhat caring, productive
citizens and improve their economic plight is to insist on, and enforce,
improved academic or vocational education, as much as possible.

If a death penalty, along with praying and marching makes some people feel
better, by all means continue. However, the limitations should be recognised.

Meanwhile, at the risk of sounding elitist, let's actually do the hard and
costly work to do something constructive about the clear connection between
crime and our young people's tiny, malicious, underdeveloped minds. Most of
these young are worth salvaging. Not only is it essential for our self
preservation but it is also our moral duty to try to do whatever is reasonable
and necessary to accomplish that goal.

KEN W KNOWLES MD

Nassau,

March 31, 2017

(source: Bahamas Tribune)

BANGLADESH:

High Court commutes death sentences in Rakib murder

The High Court has commuted the death penalties handed to the convicts in the
2015 murder of Rakib Hawlader, a motor workshop worker in Khulna.

On Tuesday, Justice Jahangir Hossain Selim and Justice Md Jahangir Hossain
sentenced the 2 convicts -- Omar Sharif and Mintu Khan -- to life in prison.

They were slapped with a Tk 50,000 fine each. They have to serve 2 more years
in jail in case of failing to hand over the money to Rakib's family.

"It has been found through evidence that the offenders tried to save the boy,"
said the court.

Both Rakib's father Nurul Alam Hawlader and the defence counsel will move to
the Appellate Division against the verdict.

Rakib used to work at a motor workshop owned by Sharif in Khulna's Tutpara.
Sharif and his uncle Mintu got enraged after he left the job.

On Aug 3, 2015, they inserted a high-pressure air pump nozzle into his rectum.
The high air pressure tore the 12-year-old boy's intestines, rectum and bladder
causing profuse internal bleeding in the stomach.

The incident shocked the nation and calls to bring the perpetrators to justice
reverberated across the country.

In November the same year, a Khulna court handed death penalty to Sharif and
Mintu.

Advocate Salma Sultana who is fighting the case for Rakib's family said the
court's statements were self-contradictory.

"Anyone would die if air is inserted through his or her rectum. It is common
sense," she said.

Sharif's lawyer Golam Md Chowdhury said what they had received was "partial
justice".

"The offenders did not flee. They took him to hospital. The murder was not
intentional."

Sharif's mother Beauty Begum has been acquitted in the case as the allegations
against her could not be proven.

(source: bdnews24.com)

SAUDI ARABIA:

STOP EXECUTION OF JUVENILES IN SAUDI ARABIA

Ali, Dawood and Abdullah are facing imminent execution. They were arrested
after allegedly participating in pro-democracy protests and sentenced to death.
They were all children at the time. They were all tortured into 'confessions'
and convicted in secret trials.

Torture, forced 'confessions' and death sentences for juveniles - PM must raise
human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia

Prime Minister Theresa May has been urged to use a trip to Saudi Arabia to
press for the release of 3 juveniles who face beheading for allegedly attending
protests.

Theresa May is due to arrive in Saudi Arabia on today for talks. Her visit
takes place amid fears for three prisoners who were arrested as children in
2012 and sentenced to death on charges relating to pro-democracy protests.

Abdullah al-Zaher, Dawoud al-Marhoon and Ali al-Nimr were sentenced to
beheading and, in Ali's case, 'crucifixion' despite their being 15, 17 and 17
at the time of their arrest.

All 3 juveniles were tortured into forced 'confessions', and convicted in
secretive trials. They remain imprisoned, and could be executed at any time
without notice being given to their families.

"As the Prime Minister makes ever greater overtures towards the Saudi
Government, the Kingdom continues to carry out appalling abuses - including
torture, forced 'confessions' and death sentences for juveniles. Theresa May's
desire for closer relations with the Gulf must not cloud Britain's commitment
to human rights. The Prime Minister must make it absolutely clear to the Saudis
that the UK condemns torture and the death penalty - and she must call for the
immediate release of Ali, Dawood and Abdullah."----Harriet McCulloch, deputy
director at Reprieve Execution methods

Beheading

Stoning

'Crucifixion' (beheading followed by public display of the body)

Executions in 2017

So far, at least 20 people have been executed (as of 3 March 2017)

Executions in 2016

154 executions were carried out in 2016

Reprieve has previously written to the Prime Minister about the cases, and
asked her to call on the Saudi authorities to release the three and commute
their sentences. In a Parliamentary answer last week, Foreign Office minister
Tobias Ellwood said that the UK "remains concerned about [the] cases" and that
UK officials last raised concerns with the Gulf Kingdom in January of this
year. However, the UK appears not to have requested the release of the 3 young
men.

The Prime Minister is understood not to have directly raised the cases with the
Saudi authorities on her last visit to the Gulf. On that visit, she promised
greater security assistance to governments in the region, saying the UK aimed
to be the Gulf's "partner of choice."

(source: reprieve.org.uk)