Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Sep 30 12:06:28 CDT 2016

Sept. 30

INDONESIA:

Death sentences a warning for drug offenders in West Jakarta

Indonesian President Joko Widodo's tough on drugs stance and his resolve to
push ahead with the execution of convicted drug smugglers is filtering down to
the courts.

The West Jakarta District Court is leading the charge.

This week alone it sentenced 5 foreigners to death after the prosecutors
demanded the highest penalty.

They include Li Fuzhang and Li Hezhang from China, who were convicted of
smuggling 20 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine into Indonesia.

Toor Eng Tart, Ooi Swee Liew and Phang Hoon Ching from Malaysia received the
same sentence this week for smuggling 51 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine
and 140,000 ecstasy pills.

Reda Mantovani was appointed to the chief prosecutor position in West Jakarta
in 2015.

He said he demanded the death sentence for 25 defendants found guilty of drug
crimes during his 1st year in the job.

"When I got this job, I saw the number of drug related crimes kept increasing
in West Jakarta," Mr Mantovani said.

"The criminal law enables me to demand the highest penalty, which is death, and
that is what I am doing."

In the past 12 months the West Jakarta District Court has dealt with 1,320 drug
cases.

"Do not mess around with drugs in West Jakarta, you will get the death
sentence," Mr Mantovani said.

The last round of executions of convicted drug smugglers took place in July
this year, when 4 prisoners faced the firing squad at Nusakambangan prison.

10 prisoners - who had been due to be executed - where spared at the last
minute, although the Indonesian Government never provided an explanation for
why.

According to the Jakarta based Institute of Criminal Justice Reform, 17
prisoners had already been sentenced to death up until June this year.

"I am sure there are some people who do not like the fact that the death
sentence has been handed down, especially human rights groups," Mr Mantovani
said.

"But I am merely implementing the law and the way I see it there are more
people that support me than are against me."

37 defendants were sentenced to death in 2015.

(source: abc.net.au)

INDIA:

Man gets death for killing parents and daughter

A court in Visnagar town of Mehsana district sentenced to death a 33-year-old
man, who had brutally hacked to death his parents and 3 year-old daughter in
April last year.

Additional district judge PS Kala awarded the death penalty to the convict
Nagjiji Thakor, terming the crime as 'rarest of rare' case. .

The ghastly murders had rocked Malarpura village, some six km from Kheralu town
on April 15 last year.

Public prosecutor PK Dave said Thakor had resorted to the savage assault as he
suspected an illicit relationship between his wife Daksha and father Babuji
Thakor (55).

He first attacked his father with an axe and then hacked his mother Mancha (55)
who tried to stop him. Thakor then attacked his wife Daksha and daughter
Dhatri.

While his parents and Dhatri died on the spot, Daksha fell unconscious. Thakor
thought she had died and locked himself in another room taking his son along.
When Daksha regained consciousness in the morning, she stealthily went out of
the house and informed police and other villagers.

However, when police reached his house Thakor again went berserk and furiously
started wielding the blood-soaked axe. He also started throwing stones at
police, which left one cop injured. 3 other villagers were also injured when he
hit them with stones. Villagers and policemen had a tough time controlling him.
Ultimately, he received some blows of sticks and fell unconscious.

Thakor was rushed to Mehsana Civil Hospital and arrested later.

In his 116-page order, judge Kala also ordered him to pay Rs 500 as penalty

(source: The Times of India)

MALAYSIA:

Tertiary student among 2 nabbed in Kuching with 1.5kg of ganja

Police have arrested 2 suspects, 1 of them a tertiary student, and seized 1.5kg
of ganja worth over RM26,000 in an operation here.

Acting on a tip-off, police picked up the 19-year-old female student who had
1,019.48gm of ganja at a car park in Jalan Song, here, shortly after midnight
Thursday.

Kuching OCPD Asst Comm Abang Ahmad Abang Julai said police also arrested a
26-year-old man who had 11gm of ganja on him.

"The suspects led us to a house in Jalan Cenderawasih where we found 475.31gm
of ganja, weighing scales and a knife. This was where they processed the ganja
into 10gm packs to be sold at RM150 each," he told a press conference Friday.

He said both suspects had been remanded for 4 days and were being investigated
under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act, which carries the mandatory death
penalty upon conviction.

"What worries us is that a student was involved in this case. If our students
get involved in drugs, what will happen to our country?

"We all need to work together in the fight against drugs," ACP Abang Ahmad
said, urging the public to continue providing information to police.

(source: The Star)

IRAN:

Chief Justice orders expeditious implementation of the death decrees ----
Fearing a popular uprising, the regime leaders step up social clampdown,
executions

Mullah Sadeq Larijani, the criminal Chief Justice of the Iranian regime,
emphasized that it is not the Judiciary's policy to eliminate executions for
drug smugglers. He said, "When did we have such an inclination? ... This claim
that executions were not useful is irrelevant. I urge all prosecutors across
the country not to delay the implementation of the verdicts, and carry them out
once they are issued. We are not allowed to delay carrying out the verdicts for
3 years and let the criminals begin praying in prison and then argue that since
they pray we should cancel their executions. We cannot do away with executions
in general because it undermines the judiciary's deterrence."

The regime's chief justice admitted that executions are a means for
establishing security in society. Larijani stressed, "One of the reasons for
the effectiveness of these punishments is their prompt, expeditious and
decisive implementation. It is against the interests of society and the
Judiciary to prolong the prosecution process." He criticized "giving
opportunity during the prosecution" to those accused of drug smuggling and
said, "The prosecutor offices must establish security on all levels and take
this task seriously."

The cruel remarks by the Iranian regime's Chief Justice on the need to continue
implementation and expedition of the death penalty come while there have 29
executions in the past 3 days, alone, and the average number of executions per
day has amounted to 10.

The notion of moderation is a mirage in the medieval clerical regime ruling
Iran. Stepping up repression, torture and executions has been the barbaric
regime's only way to confront the rising tide of popular discontent, amidst
massive domestic and international crises, and to prevent another popular
uprising which would uproot the regime.

(source: The Secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran)