Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Sep 13 15:09:19 CDT 2016

Sept. 13

ETHIOPIA:

UN Human Rights Chief 'Deeply Concerned' Over Ethiopia Abuses

The UN's human rights chief has used a meeting of the UN Human Rights Council
to criticise Ethiopia for a recent crackdown on opposition which has included
the kidnapping and sentencing to death of a British man, Andargachew 'Andy'
Tsege.

Speaking this morning at the opening session of the Council, Zeid Ra'ad Al
Hussein, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said: "While Ethiopia has
made impressive gains in terms of economic development, we are deeply concerned
about repeated allegations of excessive and lethal use of force against
protestors, enforced disappearances, and mass detentions, including of
children, as well as by worrying restrictions on civil society, the media and
opposition."

The High Commissioner said it was "mystifying" that the Ethiopian government
refused to allow his office access to parts of the country where human rights
abuses - including the recent shooting of protestors - have been alleged.

Among the victims of a recent crackdown on dissent in Ethiopia is Andargachew
'Andy' Tsege, a British father of 3 who is held under a sentence of death,
handed down in absentia in 2009. Mr Tsege was kidnapped from an international
airport in June 2014 and 'rendered' to Ethiopia, where he has been held ever
since.

International human rights organization Reprieve, assisting Mr Tsege's family
in London, has raised concerns about the UK's approach to the case, which has
focused on a call for 'legal access' for him. In June, former UK Foreign
Secretary Philip Hammond returned from a visit to Ethiopia claiming that he had
"secure[d] legal representation" for Mr Tsege - however, last month it emerged
that Mr Tsege has not yet been given a pen with which to write a request for a
lawyer.

American diplomats observing Mr Tsege's in absentia trial in 2009 said it
"lacked basic elements of due process", and described it as "political
retaliation." UN experts have said that Mr Tsege was sentenced to death
"without due process" and in violation of his rights under the Convention
Against Torture. UK MPs, the European Parliament, and members of Congress have
called for his release.

Commenting, Maya Foa - director of the death penalty team at Reprieve - said:
"Ethiopia's ruling party has shown that it has no qualms about brutally
crushing those who dare to oppose the government - shooting protestors, locking
up journalists, and sentencing political opponents to death, in trials which US
embassy officials have described as 'political retaliation'. This is a
government which sentenced British father of 3 Andy Tsege to death whilst he
was living in London, then kidnapped him from an international airport, and has
held him illegally ever since.

"The High Commissioner is right to sound an urgent warning over these terrible
abuses. Countries that are close to Ethiopia - including the UK - must urge
Ethiopian officials to end the repression, and release Andy and the many others
who are unjustly imprisoned."

(source: commondreams.org)

*************************

Boris Johnson Is 'Comfortable' With My Partner's Kidnap, Torture And Death
Sentence

My British partner, Andargachew "Andy" Tsege, has spent over 2 years on
Ethiopia's death row for daring to speak out against one of Africa's most
brutal dictatorships.

Last week I went to the High Court in London with our three children for a
hearing about how the Foreign Office has handled Andy's case. The court said it
could not force the British government to do more to help Andy. "I am sad
because I thought this judge would help us bring back my dad," our 9-year-old
daughter told me afterwards.

Every British passport says Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State promises
to ensure that the bearer should receive "such assistance and protection as may
be necessary." In other words, Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, has a duty
to help British citizens like Andy when they are in peril abroad.

We went to court because in 2 years the Foreign Office has not even called for
Andy's release, something it has done in many similar cases. When Boris became
Foreign Secretary, I hoped he would help Andy. After all, as Mayor of London,
he wrote to me saying, "I am truly saddened to hear of Mr Tsege's situation....
with no foreign policy remit, any other intervention is beyond my powers as
Mayor of London...I very much hope Mr Tsege safely returns to the UK in the
near future."

Now that Boris has the power to help, I was sickened to see his lawyers tell
the court they were "comfortable" that Andy is not being ill-treated. How can
they say this when British Embassy staff only visit Andy with a guard in the
room? Andy would be forced to say he is the victim of torture in front of his
torturers.

Boris should listen to the UN, whose Special Rapporteur on Torture said in
February that "Ethiopia, by subjecting Mr. Tsege to torture, ill-treatment,
prolonged solitary confinement and incommunicado detention, by denying him
access to adequate medical care and legal process, and by sentencing him to
death without due process for a non-violent crime, has violated his right to be
free from torture." Or the US State Department, which in its 2015 report on
Ethiopia, found that "security officials tortured and otherwise abused
detainees."

Instead, Boris's barristers argued that there has been no "grave breach of
international law, particularly in the context of human rights". I think Andy's
case involves lots of violations and abuses. He was kidnapped off a plane in
the Middle East and bundled into Ethiopia, where he was constantly shackled for
the first fortnight and held in a secret prison for months. He now sits in a
cell facing execution for his peaceful political opposition to a repressive
Ethiopian regime, after a trial where he was not invited to be present.

The Foreign Office claims that doing more for Andy "would have consequences for
[our] relationship with Ethiopia..." So Boris is more worried about offending a
totalitarian state than repatriating a British citizen to his family. This is
appeasement. When did those who represent Britain become so cowardly?

(source: reprieve.org)

SIERRA LEONE:

Amnesty re-echoes call for the removal of Death Penalty

Following the death sentence passed on Baimba Moi Foray alias LA Chocolate and
Foday Amara Kamara alias G-Fag, Amnesty International Sierra Leone (AISL) has
re-echoed its call for the repeal of the death penalty.

Speaking to Awoko newspaper last Friday on the sentence, the Executive Director
of AISL, Solomon Sogbandi said though the judgment was based on the laws of the
country, it was "not fashionable in the 21st century."

He stated that the death penalty should be replaced by life sentence, adding
that seizing ones freedom is worse than killing the person and that even if he
is released he is released after a long time, he would have lost touch with
society. He furthered that, the State should be proactive in addressing the
issue of violence rather than reacting to it. "Where we see the State
implementing the death penalty, it is reacting to the violence in the country."

He went on to say, "though many people are pushing for the death penalty
because of what is happening among the youths, it is not a deterrent to youth
violence in the country."

"Killing for killing" Sogbandi said, will not solve the problem rather they
should ensure that the youth understand the value system of the country.

He urged that, the laws which have death penalty attached to them be removed
from our law books. Suggesting also, the Executive Director said the government
should try to improve the working conditions of judges and other law enforcers;
to ensure that they are well resourced so that they will perform well.

Sogbandi also stressed on the issue of political interference, saying "there
should be no political interference in the justice system. We should capacitate
the justice system and make them well resourced to stand up against their
challenges."

Amnesty international is among those organizations that have been calling for
the repeal of the death penalty in the country. Since the truth and
reconciliation commission made this recommendation after the country's civil
war over a decade ago; Sierra Leone is yet to abolish this law.

Meanwhile the public is waiting to see whether the said sentence on the two
convicts will be implemented.

The convicts were sentenced to death by hanging last Thursday.

(source: awoko.org)

PHILIPPINES/INDONESIA:

Duterte on Veloso: 'The law is the law'

Saying "the law is the law," President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday said he would
respect whatever the decision of Indonesian President Joko Widodo would be on
the case of Filipino drug convict Mary Jane Veloso who is on death row in
Indonesia.

"I just said, 'We will respect the judgment of your courts, period,'" Duterte
said in a speech before the members of the 250th Philippine Airlift Wing at the
Villamor Air Base in Pasay City.

"It would have been a bad taste in the mouth to be talking about having a
strong posture on drugs and here you are begging for something ... I'm sorry, I
have nothing to apologize [for]because the law is the law," he added.

The President issued the statement after Widodo was quoted by the Indonesian
press as saying Duterte had given the green light for the execution of Veloso.

Duterte went to Jakarta last week for a working visit and met with Widodo, who
is also leading a campaign against drugs in Indonesia.

In a report, the Jakarta Post, citing the Antara news agency, said: "President
Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo said on Monday that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte
had given the green light for the execution of Filipina death row inmate Mary
Jane Veloso."

But Duterte insisted that he did not mention Veloso's case to Widodo when they
talked about Indonesia's anti-drug campaign and death penalty law in Jakarta
last Friday.

Duterte said on Tuesday his utterance of "go ahead" referred to his support for
Indonesia's death penalty and not to Veloso???s case specifically.

"I had a talk with Widodo. He has 4 million [drug addicts in Indonesia]. We
talked about that. We said we will implement the laws. Then I said, 'Mr
President, so as not to apologize or anything, It's good you have the death
penalty here. At least you can bring the problem to the barest minimum,'" he
said. The President added: "I said, 'Go ahead and implement the law. We never
mentioned about Veloso.'"

Veloso, on death row in Indonesia for her drug trafficking charge in 2010, was
supposed to be executed together with other foreigners in Indonesia last year,
but was spared by Widodo after an appeal from then President Benigno Aquino
3rd.

Upon arriving from Jakarta early on Saturday, Duterte was mum on what he and
Widodo discussed in relation to the Veloso case, saying he needed to talk to
the Veloso family first.

Veloso's mother, Celia, told a radio interview on Tuesday she was confused with
the turn of events, and was awaiting the government's advise on when she would
be able to meet the President.

Celia said her daughter called her up after watching Widodo's interview with
reporters. While Mary Jane was resigned to whatever would be her fate, she
wanted help from the President, Celia said.

Clemency after court decision

In Malacanang, presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella said the Philippine
government would seek clemency for Veloso once Indonesia's Supreme Court acts
on her case.

Speaking to reporters, Abella said there was no need to appeal for Veloso's
life as there was no scheduled execution.

"The execution of Mary Jane Veloso had already been indefinitely deferred.
Indonesia had previously agreed to allow Ms. Veloso to testify to the
accusation and the criminal prosecution of her illegal recruiters in the
Philippines," Abella said in a news conference.

"When the Indonesian Supreme Court decides to act on the execution, that would
be the time to present the compelling evidence of Veloso's innocence as a
justification for a plea of clemency," he added.

Abella claimed foreign media misinterpreted Duterte's pronouncement that he
would "accept whatever final decision they (Indonesian government) will have on
Veloso."

Abella was quick to clarify that the Palace was not blaming Widodo's choice of
words before journalists in Indonesia.

"We are not saying Jokowi misinterpreted him (Duterte). We are just giving you
the context," Abella said.

Also on Tuesday, Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr. said Duterte did not ask
for clemency from Widodo during their bilateral meeting in Jakarta last week
because it was ???not the proper time."

Veloso, a single mother of 2 from Nueva Ecija, was sentenced to death in
October 2010 after she was caught bringing in heroin at Yogyakarta's Adisucipto
International Airport in April that year.

She has maintained her innocence, claiming she was duped into carrying the
suitcase by her recruiter, who convinced her to go to Indonesia after losing a
job in Malaysia.

(source: Maila Times)

CHINA:

5 Indians caught smuggling drugs in China may face death penalty:
Lawyers----Indian diplomats in China will be able to meet the accused on Sept.
21.

5 Indians arrested in China for alleged involvement in two cases of drug
trafficking could face life imprisonment or even death sentence, say lawyers.
The accused, who hail from Kidderpore in Kolkata, have been identified as
Sheikh Ahmad Ali (46), Akrar Khan (33), Feroz Khan (31), Sheikh Ismail (24) and
Maqsud Alam (24). Ismail is a student of Syamaprasad College in Kolkata.

They have denied knowledge about 24 kg of hashish found hidden in their laptop
bags and packets of snacks. They were on their way to Shenzhen in southeastern
China, an industrial and trade city that links Hong Kong to China's mainland.

According to legal protocol, Indian diplomats in China will be able to meet the
accused on Sept. 21 and till then they will not be allowed to get in touch with
their families.

Punishment, according to the law in China, is stricter when the quantity seized
is large as that indicates the intent to sell. Cases involving drug lords,
professional drug dealers or re-offenders may invite capital punishment in
serious cases.

Death sentence may also be used to punish drug smuggling, organised
transnational drug crime and armed or violent drug crime, according to Chinese
news agency Xinhua.

Last year, the Supreme People's Court (SPC) had also issued a circular
emphasising that death penalty should be used to punish drug crime.

"It is a very serious offence. According to the law, any deals related to the
sales of marijuana over one kg could attract a punishment of a jail term of 15
years," Shanghai-based lawyer Wang Chune was quoted as saying by Hindustan
Times. But the quantity involved makes the 5 suspects vulnerable to harsher
punishment, she added.

Beijing-based criminal lawyer Zhang Liwen, who handles drug-related cases, also
agreed with Wang. "The punishment is likely to be 15 years imprisonment, life
sentence or death penalty - death sentence is possible," Zhang said, adding
that the results of the suspects being administered drug tests being found
negative will be of little help to them.

"Whether these suspects took drugs or not will have no influence on their
sentencing and judgment," Zhang added.

Zhang also highlighted that Chinese law doesn't discriminate between Chinese
nationals and foreigners and the same laws will apply to the Indians. There
have been past precedents of foreign nationals being executed for drug related
offences in China, including 5 nationals from Philippines, 6 from Japan and 1
man from Britain.

(source: ibtimes.co.uk)

RUSSIA:

Russia intends to use Crimea for the death penalty restoration

Program Director of the Valdai Discussion Club Oleg Barabanov believes that
Russia should withdraw from the Council of Europe and restore the death
penalty.

"One of the controversial things that Russia made, joining the Council of
Europe, is abolition of the death penalty. It is still controversial in public
opinion. A guerilla or a maniac sits in a colony and eats the bread of our
taxpayers," said Barabanov.

He believes that Russia should take advantage of the international situation as
it has developed after the annexation of Crimea to hold a referendum on the
issue.

"Crimea can be used as an excuse to start debates about what is more important
to us: our membership in the international club or the restoration of the death
penalty for the most brutal crimes," said Barabanov.

(source: sobytiya.info)