[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----OHIO, NEB., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Nov 7 10:57:41 CST 2016

Nov. 7

OHIO:

Ohio legislators should enact proposed death-penalty reforms: Bob Taft, former
Ohio govenor ---- Guest columnist Bob Taft served as the 67th governor of Ohio
from 1999-2007. He now teaches at the University of Dayton

When I ran for governor in 1998, I hadn't given a great deal of thought to the
duty I would be assuming to review clemency requests in death penalty cases. I
campaigned on education, job creation and environmental issues.

However, as Governor I spent a lot of time reviewing the clemency cases that
came before me. The death penalty is irreversible, and I wanted to make certain
there was no question about guilt and no procedural errors.

At the time, the death penalty was an option I supported because it was
pursuant to laws that had been enacted by the elected representatives of the
people of Ohio. However, after reflecting on the cases I reviewed and the
recommendations of the Ohio Supreme Court task force on the death penalty, I
have come to have serious reservations about the effectiveness and necessity of
capital punishment in most cases where it has been applied.

My first concern is that Ohio law allows the execution of individuals with
serious mental illness. I believe this practice is not humane based on current
standards of decency and the opinions of mental health experts across Ohio.
Senate Bill 162 would end this practice, and I urge state legislators to enact
it at the earliest possible date.

The legislature should also act to eliminate felony murders from the category
of offenses to which the death sentence can be applied. These are murders in
combination with other crimes often where murder was not the original intent,
such as kidnapping, rape, aggravated arson, aggravated robbery, and aggravated
burglary.

Felony murder cases have accounted for the vast majority of death cases in
Ohio, and they are a major cause of the substantial racial and geographic
disparities in the use of capital punishment, casting doubt about whether our
criminal justice system is providing "equal protection under the laws." Fewer
than 7 % of felony murder cases result in a death sentence, which raises the
issue of whether they are part of a "plea bargaining" strategy pursued by
prosecutors.

The Supreme Court Task Force on the Administration of Ohio's Death Penalty was
comprised of judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, legislators, and legal
experts. It completed its work in 2014 after a careful examination of Ohio's
death penalty process; the 2 reforms I am endorsing are part of their
recommendations.

Now is the time for the Ohio General Assembly to enact these reforms into law.

(source: Guest Column, cleveland.com)

NEBRASKA:

Uncertainty with executions looms over Neb. death penalty vote----Voters will
have an opportunity Tuesday to reverse an action taken by the Legislature and
reinstate Nebraska's death penalty

Voters will have an opportunity Tuesday to reverse an action taken by the
Legislature and reinstate Nebraska's death penalty, but moving forward with
executions could take years.

Nebraska's last execution was in 1997, using the electric chair, and the state
has never carried one out using its current three-drug lethal injection
protocol. Even though several executions have been scheduled, legal and
logistical problems have kept the state from using lethal injection before the
necessary drugs expired.

Nebraska lawmakers abolished the death penalty in May 2015 over Republican Gov.
Pete Ricketts' veto. Supporters of the punishment responded with a citizen-led
petition drive partially financed by Ricketts that suspended the Legislature's
decision until voters decide the issue Tuesday.

Voting "retain" will uphold the Legislature's decision and replace the death
penalty with life in prison, while voting "repeal" will reinstate capital
punishment.

Death penalty supporters say Nebraska can overcome the hurdles as other states
have recently done. One example is Ohio, where officials announced last month
they would resume executions in 2017 after changing their 3-drug lethal
injection protocol, said Chris Peterson, a spokesman for Nebraskans for the
Death Penalty.

But Ohio, Texas and other states have moved forward only because they shrouded
their processes in secrecy, passing laws that require officials to withhold the
names of drug manufacturers, said Sen. Colby Coash of Lincoln, a leading death
penalty opponent. Nebraska lawmakers have traditionally avoided that approach,
erring on the side of transparency.

"Nebraskans don't want their government hiding things from them," Coash said.
"If pharmaceutical companies want to make drugs that kill people, they ought to
stand behind that."

Without a secrecy law, Coash said he doubts Nebraska will ever carry out an
execution. The death penalty opposition campaign, Retain a Just Nebraska, has
argued that no inmate will be executed even if voters reinstate the punishment.

"It puts it back on the books, but it doesn't mean we get the drugs," Coash
said. "It doesn't mean executions begin on Nov. 10."

Death penalty proponents say strong support by voters will increase pressure on
public officials to find a workable execution method.

"The obstacles are not insurmountable," said Bob Evnen, a Lincoln attorney who
has worked with Nebraskans for the Death Penalty. "Other states are able to
carry out the death penalty. Our state can, too."

Evnen said it's impossible to know when they state might be able to carry out
an execution, but he noted officials came close eight years ago when they were
on the verge of scheduling executions for inmates Carey Dean Moore and Ray
Mata. Their executions were delayed when the Nebraska Supreme Court declared
the electric chair unconstitutional.

The state's corrections department spent $54,400 last year on foreign-made
lethal injection drugs but has not received them because the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration blocked the shipment. State officials agreed to buy the drugs
from Chris Harris, a distributor in India who contacted the corrections
department in April 2015 as lawmakers were debating whether to abolish the
death penalty. Ricketts announced he was suspending the effort to obtain the
drugs until voters decided whether to keep capital punishment.

Harris sold execution drugs to the state in 2010, but the drugs' manufacturer
accused him of misrepresenting how he intended to use them. Legal challenges
prevented the state from using the drugs before they expired.

Both sides of the issue made their final push before the election with radio
and television ads and through social media. Nebraskans for the Death Penalty
sent more than 250,000 mailings to voters urging them to keep the punishment,
Peterson said.

"The other side has thrown everything including the kitchen sink to try to
eliminate the death penalty, but we believe a strong majority of Nebraskans see
a place for the death penalty in our criminal justice system," Peterson said.

Surrogates have played a major role. Vivian Tuttle of Ewing, whose daughter
Evonne was murdered in a 2002 Norfolk bank robbery, has traveled the state
extensively urging voters to overturn the Legislature's decision. So have the
relatives of 57-year-old Shirlee Sherman, who was stabbed to death along with
an 11-year-old boy in 2008. Nebraskans for the Death Penalty has also enlisted
the support of local sheriffs who support the punishment.

Retain a Just Nebraska has turned to church leaders, particularly the Catholic
Church, to present its arguments to voters. Ada Joann Taylor, who was
exonerated in a 1985 murder after serving nearly 20 years in prison, also
joined forces with death penalty opponents.

Vote to decide future of state's death penalty

On Tuesday, Nebraska voters will decide the future of the death penalty in the
state.

Like other issues on this year's ballot, the death penalty vote carries with it
strong emotions and decisive opinions. The Tribune has supported the death
penalty in the past and still does. But we understand why some opinions have
changed.

Nebraska has not had the best leadership when it comes to capital punishment.
The last execution in Nebraska was in 1997 with that of Robert Williams, who
committed a rape and double murder in Lincoln in 1978. Prior to that, John
Joubert was executed in 1996 and Harold "Wili" Otey in 1994.

Ben Nelson was governor and Don Stenberg was attorney general at the time of
the last three executions. But Nebraska hasn't had an execution in nearly 20
years, during the leadership of Govs. Mike Johanns and Dave Heineman and
Attorney General Jon Bruning.

Could Nebraska's top leadership be the reason for the hiatus in executions? We
can tell you it's not for lack of death-row inmates or heinous crimes. 10 men
sit on Nebraska's death row, including Carey Dean Moore, who has been on death
row since he murdered 2 cab drivers in Omaha in 1979.

Executions became more complicated in Nebraska in 2009 when the state changed
its method of execution from electrocution to lethal injection after the
Nebraska Supreme Court declared electrocution to be cruel and unusual
punishment, making it unconstitutional. Lethal injection drugs are expensive
and difficult to obtain.

Gov. Pete Ricketts, a strong supporter of the death penalty, has sought to
obtain the drugs since he became governor in 2015. He ordered a supply from
India, but the drugs can't legally be imported and cannot be delivered.

So the state has no way to carry out executions. Obviously there are ways
around this, as other states have been able to obtain lethal injection drugs,
including manufacturing the drugs themselves.

Death penalty opponents cite these issues, along with moral issues, as good
reasons to retain LB268, the bill passed in 2015 that abolished the death
penalty. Ricketts vetoed the bill, but the Legislature overrode that veto. A
successful petition drive put the matter on the ballot, and now voters will
decide whether to retain or repeal LB268.

(By the way, the ballot wording is confusing. Voters who want to keep the death
penalty should vote "repeal," which will leave the death penalty as a possible
maximum penalty for a crime of 1st-degree murder. Voters who want to eliminate
the death penalty should vote "retain" to keep the legislative ban.) What it
boils down to is this: Nebraskans must vote their conscience.

Supporters of the death penalty believe some crimes are heinous enough to
warrant that punishment. Read about the crimes of the 10 men sitting on
Nebraska's death row, and then decide if you, too, are among them.

If enough Nebraskans repeal LB268 and keep the death penalty, then the voters
will have done their job.

It will then be up to Ricketts and Attorney General Doug Peterson to do their
job to see that executions are carried out.

(source: Opinion, Hastings Tribune)

CALIFORNIA:

Man on death row 38 years fears trouble as California death penalty vote looms
---- Douglas Stankewitz and his partner, Colleen Hicks, worry that if
Proposition 62 passes, Stankewitz's case could be derailed as he hopes for
freedom

Douglas Stankewitz and Colleen Hicks are worried about the election.

They are seated on mismatched blue plastic chairs in cage PB7, one of the
padlocked wire mesh enclosures at San Quentin state prison where condemned men
visit with friends and loved ones. They lean into each other, shoulders
touching. He puts his arm around her. She strokes his neck.

Stankewitz was sentenced to death 38 years ago for the kidnap and murder of
Theresa Graybeal, aged 22. He has been on death row since, longer than any
inmate in California and all but a few nationwide. His murder conviction was
thrown out once. His death sentence, twice. His 3rd sentencing hearing is
scheduled for 16 October.

But California has dueling death penalty propositions on the 8 November ballot,
and that's where things get complicated: Proposition 62 would abolish the death
penalty and replace it with life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Proposition 66 would streamline - and, perhaps, speed up - capital punishment
in the state with the country's biggest death row.

Both possibilities make the unlikely couple nervous. Hicks, 69, is director of
the Museum of the American Indian in the Bay area town of Novato. Stankewitz,
58, is a member of the Mono tribe, goes by the nickname "Chief" and has been
locked up - somewhere - most of his life.

They fear that if the death penalty is abolished, Stankewitz's current legal
case could be derailed. Even though the court proceeding scheduled for October
2017 will only address death or life without parole, Stankewitz holds out hope
that his new lawyer can get him a new trial and prove that he is innocent.

The tall, stocky condemned man, whose black hair cascades to his shoulder
blades, is living proof that the death penalty process in California is broken.
At age 20, he was the first person to land on San Quentin???s infamous death
row after the state put the modern death penalty in place in 1978. Nearly 4
decades and 2 reversals later, he is still there.

What he wants, he said on a rainy Sunday morning nine days before the election,
is "freedom. It sounds funny. People say, 'How do you know? You been locked up
so long.'

"I'd love to go fishing, too," Stankewitz said. "I wouldn't have to catch
nothing. Just fish."

"And work in the garden," said Hicks, who wants him to live with her in Marin
County, north of San Francisco, if he is ever freed.

"Yeah," Stankewitz said, smiling, "let those gophers know who's boss."

California has executed 13 men since Stankewitz landed on death row. 104 died
of other causes, according to the state corrections and rehabilitation
department: 71 of natural causes, 25 from suicide, and 8 from what prison
officials described as "other".

Today, 750 inmates await execution in San Quentin's death chamber with a pale
green gurney on which inmates are strapped. The oldest is 86; the youngest, 24.
California has not put anyone to death since 2006.

In phone calls, letters, and an in-person visit, Stankewitz talked about the
night Theresa Graybeal died, about the trials that were reversed, about the
woman he loves, and about life as a condemned man in California's oldest
prison.

"All the days are the same here," Stankewitz said. "I try not to think I'm
here. It's worse than an animal, I know that. An animal in a zoo or a dog pound
has more space than us ... You're on death row. You know you're in prison. You
don't ponder it."

He has lived in 3 E Block 62 for the past 7 years. He does not share a cell; no
one on death row does. He does not keep a calendar. There is no reason to. He
has typed some 15,000 letters asking for help. He watches TV, reads, follows
politics, works out.

"A lot of guys tell you that 'poor me' stuff," Stankewitz said. "It's
unhealthy. They got to fight to get out of the system. Even if you're innocent,
the system don't care."

The few times that there have been executions, he said, the prison was locked
down early, and the tense place became even more so. Some of the men who were
put to death were his friends, inmates such as Stanley "Tookie" Williams,
founder of the Crips gang. Williams was convicted of the brutal shotgun murders
of 4 men but became an anti-violence crusader while waiting to die.

"Every day is the possibility to be executed, somehow, some way," Stankewitz
said. The day of an execution "may be more intense, if you believe it's wrong
to take a life. There's no more premeditation than this."

Stankewitz has spent about a third of his life in solitary confinement, a place
that he says drives a lot of people crazy, pushes them "from the prison to a
mental hospital".

"Back then, you had nothing in your cell except darkness and a hole in the
floor that was your toilet," he said. "At 4pm they gave you a mattress and a
pillow. 1500 calories diet a day."

But it was in solitary confinement that Stankewitz met Father Jack O'Neill, the
prison chaplain who later became the parish priest at St Mary Magdalene, where
Hicks is choir director and plays piano. In 2008, O'Neill asked Hicks if she
would consider corresponding with Stankewitz.

She said yes. Stankewitz calls Hicks every morning. She visits him on Saturdays
and every Sunday after mass.

"We're a couple now," Hicks said. "I did not see that coming."

"We talk about the case a lot," she added. "I tell him about the museum, just
everything. He's just interested. He says, 'I just want to know what you're
doing in that big free world of yours.'"

On this Sunday in late October, the guards are late bringing Stankewitz down
from his cell to the visiting area. Hicks is dressed in purple. The men, she
says, are so color-deprived that she tries not to wear black.

She has washed off a brown cafeteria tray and bought lunch from the vending
machines. Orange juice for him, water for her. Cheez-Its. Cheesecake. Yoghurt.
A pastrami and swiss cheese sandwich. A frozen burrito and a frozen egg
sandwich on a muffin that she will microwave.

Hicks paces, nervous as a teenager. And frets. "This is really unusual. He's
never this late." Then a big smile. "There he is." The guard takes off
Stankewitz's handcuffs, padlocks them into the mesh cage. They embrace.

On 8 February 1978, Stankewitz and 3 friends were stranded in Modesto. Unable
to find a ride back to Fresno, they staked out a Kmart parking lot, followed
Graybeal to her vehicle, shoved her in and headed south. In Fresno, they shot
up with heroin at a seedy hotel and headed off to score some more in a nearby
town called Calwa.

"Ms. Greybeal was facing away from the car," court documents said. "Defendant
raised the gun in his left hand, braced it with his right hand, and shot her
once in the head from a distance of about 1 foot."

That version of events came from Billy Brown, then 14, who received immunity in
exchange for his testimony, later recanted and has since died. Stankewitz says
he did not go to Calwa with the group. He feared he had been given an overdose.
He said he did not shoot Graybeal but instead blacked out.

Stankewitz's 1st conviction and death sentence were overturned. He was
convicted and sentenced to death again. In 2012, the US court of appeals for
the ninth circuit ruled that he was guilty of capital murder but threw out his
death sentence and ordered another penalty phase.

His defense attorney, the justices wrote, "rendered ineffectual counsel".

Stankewitz's new attorney, the famed defense lawyer Tony Serra, said a number
of documents had surfaced that could exonerate Stankewitz and were not shared
with counsel during the earlier trials. His client, he said, was not the man he
had been 38 years ago and didn't deserve to be killed.

Then again, Serra said, nobody did.

Californians will decide on Tuesday whether they agree. Hicks said she
struggled over how to vote on Proposition 62, which could complicate life - and
death - for the man she loves. Ultimately, she voted to repeal the death
penalty.

All she wants is for Stankewitz to be freed.

(source: The Guardian)

USA:

U.S. seeking death penalty as trial begins in South Carolina church shooting

The final phase of jury selection begins on Monday in the U.S. death penalty
trial for a white man charged with federal hate crimes after the shooting
deaths of 9 black parishioners at a historic South Carolina church last year.

Dylann Roof, who is accused of holding white supremacist views, was indicted on
33 federal counts of hate crimes, obstruction of religion and using a firearm
in a violent crime after he opened fire during a Bible study session at Emanuel
African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston in June 2015.

The proceedings getting underway at the U.S. courthouse in Charleston will
unfold as another racially-charged trial progresses across the street. Michael
Slager, a white former police officer in North Charleston, is being tried for
murder in state court in the shooting of black motorist Walter Scott in April
2015.

The 2 incidents, which occurred just 2 months apart, shook the country and
further intensified the debate over U.S. race relations.

In Roof's case, lawyers could take about 2 weeks to cull the remaining
potential jurors. More than 700 people filled out questionnaires about the case
when jury selection began in September, out of 3,000 summoned for the trial. 12
jurors and 6 alternates will hear the testimony.

If Roof is convicted, the penalty phase of the trial could extend into January.
Roof, 22, has offered to plead guilty if the death penalty was dropped, court
filings show.

He also faces a death sentence if found guilty of murder in state court in a
trial scheduled for next year.

Prosecutors say Roof planned the church attack for months, singling out victims
who were black and elderly, and showing no remorse. At the federal trial, they
plan to present racist manifestos that he purportedly wrote in an effort to
incite a race war.

Roof's attorneys declined to comment ahead of the trial, and his family has
asked for privacy.

"We are still struggling to understand why Dylann caused so much grief and pain
to so many good people," the family said in a statement last week.

Relatives of the victims have been divided on the decision to seek capital
punishment, after some tearfully offered words of forgiveness during Roof's 1st
court appearance.

The city plans an outpouring of support during the trial, with restaurants
donating daily lunches to family members attending court.

"How they chose to respond to the tragedy made the difference," said Helen
Hill, executive director of the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau.
"They are a model of how you can truly bring about long-lasting change."

(source: Reuters)

********************

Dylann Roof Shouldn't Get the Death Penalty

Today is the start of the federal death penalty trial of Dylann S. Roof, the
white man accused of murdering black worshipers at the Mother Emanuel church in
Charleston, S.C. The killings of "the Charleston 9" last year were as violent
and seared with racial hatred as the 1955 lynching of Emmett Till in
Mississippi and the 1963 bombing of an Alabama church that killed 4 little
girls.

Although this crime was meant to challenge the black community's right to
exist, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund opposes the death penalty
for Mr. Roof. Such a sentence would have the perverse effect of justifying the
routine, racially discriminatory imposition of the death penalty on black
people.

The Legal Defense Fund, which, despite its name, has been a wholly separate
entity from the N.A.A.C.P. since 1957, has a long and storied history of
opposition to capital punishment. Our founder, Thurgood Marshall, defended
numerous black men facing death sentences and executions in the South,
including the Groveland Boys in 1951, who were falsely accused of raping a
white woman in Florida and condemned to death.

We also challenged the constitutionality of Georgia's death penalty in the case
of Warren McCleskey, a black man convicted of killing a white police officer,
by presenting evidence showing that black people convicted of killing white
people were more likely to be sentenced to death than those convicted in cases
involving any other racial combination of defendant and victim. The Supreme
Court's 1987 decision upholding Mr. McCleskey's death sentence notwithstanding
this powerful evidence of systemic racial bias remains one of the most
controversial decisions of our time.

Last month, my colleagues and I argued Duane Buck's case in the Supreme Court.
Mr. Buck was condemned to death in Texas after his own trial lawyers presented
an expert opinion that he was more likely to commit criminal acts of violence
in the future because he is black.

At the time of his 1997 trial, the district attorney's office in Harris County,
which includes Houston, was more than 3 times as likely to seek the death
penalty for black defendants like Mr. Buck, and Harris County juries were more
than twice as likely to impose death sentences on black defendants than on
comparable white defendants.

Florida, Georgia and Texas are hardly anomalous - studies repeatedly show that
race plays a pernicious role in the administration of the death penalty across
the country, from Pennsylvania to Washington. The Legal Defense Fund has long
recognized that capital punishment is a deeply flawed institution that
consistently, and unfairly, threatens and takes black lives. As a result, we
are institutionally opposed to the death penalty in all cases.

But some will surely say Mr. Roof's case is a far cry from the Groveland,
McCleskey or Buck cases because Mr. Roof is a young white man charged with
murdering 9 black people while they prayed in church. As a result, this crime
brings into sharp focus our country's fierce debates over race, criminal
justice and capital punishment. Justice must be done, and our nation must
recognize and condemn these killings as an attack on the very fabric of our
society.

But the reality is that the death penalty has not only failed to serve the
black community well, it has failed to serve any community well. Mistakes are
common: A comprehensive study of death sentences imposed between 1973 and 1995
found reversible errors in nearly 70 % of cases, and some 156 people who were
condemned to death have now been exonerated.

Furthermore, a small group of prosecutors have had an outsize influence over
the administration of the death penalty in this country: A mere 5 of the
country's 2,400 chief prosecutors are responsible for the sentences of 1 out of
every 7 prisoners on death row. For these and other reasons, a recent study
from the Pew Research Center found that Americans' support for the death
penalty is at its lowest level in more than 4 decades.

Justice Anthony Kennedy warned in a 2008 decision reiterating the
unconstitutionality of the death penalty for non-homicide offenses that "when
the law punishes by death, it risks its own sudden descent into brutality,
transgressing the constitutional commitment to decency and restraint." As is
true for Mr. Roof. His case, in all its stark egregiousness, is the exception
that proves the rule: Supporting the death penalty for Mr. Roof means
supporting the use of a punishment that will continue to be inflicted on people
who are nothing like him.

In opposing the death penalty for Mr. Roof, the Legal Defense Fund does not
speak for the survivors or the families of the victims; we grieve with and for
the Mother Emanuel and Charleston communities. We recognize that there is a
broad spectrum of emotions and positions on this volatile issue, and that the
voices for justice that have emerged in the wake of these murders stand on
their own and deserve our compassion and respect. We at the Legal Defense Fund
can speak only for ourselves, based on our organization's 75 years of
experience with grieving families and communities, with victims and defendants
and our quest for racial justice.

We believe that justice can and should be served without a death sentence for
Dylann Roof. Our communities and our country will be better off without
executing him.

(source: Op-Ed; Christina Swarns is the director of litigation at the NAACP
Legal Defense and Educational Fund----New York Times)