Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat Jun 4 09:00:44 CDT 2016

June 4

JAMAICA:

Give ruthless killers their just reward

THE EDITOR, Sir:

On Sunday, May 29, 2016, Pastor Al Miller gave a spirited piece on the death
penalty titled 'Sovereignty, death penalty and justice', in which he took us on
a trip down memory lane.

Recently, the national security minister, the old farmer Robert Montague,
brought to the fore that the death penalty should be brought into play to
counter the great atrocities plaguing our society. I concur with the honourable
minister and the reverend. They are both men of substance. If the Bible says
that a man who takes another person's life should likewise lose his, what can
we say about that?

Pratt and Morgan got off the hook in 1990s when their death-penalty verdict was
commuted to life imprisonment. Why must persons commit these horrendous crimes
and then expect to live? Where is the justice for the other party who lost
loved ones who were contributing to the prosperity of our nation?

It is counterproductive to see these people living on borrowed time when they
carried out such heinous acts of cowardice. When we allow them to live further
without getting the requisite punishment that most feel to be just, it is
justice withheld.

The only drawback is the manner in which evidence is treated to convict these
criminals. Some, after they are freed, become recidivists. Surely, we don't
want an innocent man to face the gallows, which is designed for the most
wretched in our midst. The sanctity of a man's life should be foremost in the
mind of these heartless criminals.

PARIS TAYLOR

Greater Portmore, St Catherine

(source: Letter to the Editor, Jamaica Gleaner)