Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Jul 14 19:08:14 CDT 2016

July 14

GHANA:

2 death sentences in Tamale----Ghana is considered to be a democratic country
that leads in human rights but unfortunately the entrenched clause in the
constitution that allows the death penalty has become rampant, a human rights
activist says.

The Tamale High Court has sentenced a 33 year old herdsman to death, the 2nd
such sentencing in the past 2 weeks.

Ghana is considered to be a democratic country that leads in human rights but
unfortunately the entrenched clause in the constitution that allows the death
penalty has become rampant, a human rights activist says.

Ghana still has laws that allow the death penalty - it has become an entrenched
clause only because the government nor presidency alone cannot take that away
unless there is a referendum, Director of Amnesty International Ghana Lawrence
Amesu says.

This week, the Tamale High Court sentenced a 33-year old Fulani herdsman to
death by hanging.

The court, presided over by His Lordship Mr. Charles Gyamfi Danquah handed down
the sentence of death after all 7 judges came out with an unanimous decision of
guilty of murder.

The convict and the deceased were brothers and lived in the same house at Soma
village near Tuna in the Sawla-Tuna-Kalba District of the Northern Region with
other members of their family.

Ghanaweb reports that in November 2008, there was a family dispute which lead
the convict to assault his siblings.

Later, the convict followed the deceased who was herding their father's cattle
to the bush to graze where he stabbed him in ribs resulting in his death.

It was reported that when he realized he had killed his brother, he went home
packed his belongings and left the village undetected, however the convict's
father became suspicious about the disappearance of the deceased and after
failing to find the deceased lodged a complaint with police.

Mumuni Adama was arrested in Kalba village while he attempted to escape with
his wife. He then confessed to the police about killing his brother and led
them to the body.

This sentence comes a week after a 22-year-old trader was also sentenced to
death after being found guilty of murder by a 5-member jury at the Tamale High
Court.

Zeila Sulemana was convicted and sentenced after stabbing nursing student
Rawdia Aminu, in 2014 after the 2 argued.

(source: pulse.com.gh)

THAILAND:

Disabled man murder suspects plead not guilty in court

The 7 youths accused of killing a disabled bread deliveryman in the Chokchai 4
neighborhood in May pleaded not guilty at the Criminal Court in their 1st trial
this morning.

The suspects - including 6 young men aged 18-23 and their 19-year-old female
friend - denied all 3 charges including murder, possession of knives, and
intrusion of the bakery.

The next trial is set for Sept. 19.

Anantachai Chaidech, the lawyer who represents the victim's family, said the
suspects' denial of the charges will benefit his side since the court can now
consider giving them the highest punishment, which is death penalty, Post Today
reported.

Previously, the family of the victim, Somkiat Srichan, 36, requested that the
police charge the 7 suspects with 1st-degree murder, which is only punishable
by death. That request was denied but, with the suspects' plea of not-guilty,
that sentence could come back into play.

On May 1, the 7 suspects were arrested for allegedly taking part in killing
Somkiat outside of the bread shop where he worked. The victim had reportedly
been teased by 4 of the men, which led to an argument.

The 4 men then called 2 friends, who arrived with knives. Together, they
allegedly beat and stabbed Somkiat, according to an eyewitness.

The suspects are brothers Arin and Peerapol Yodponganan, 20 and 21
respectively, Monmanat Sangpho, 22, and Mek Polkraisorn, 19, Akkaradet
Thatsana, 22, and an 18-year-old boy, whose identity was withheld.

Natnicha Ritlamlert, the 19-year-old girlfriend of 1 of the 6 suspects, turned
herself in days later after a warrant was issued for her arrest. A witness said
she cheered on the 6 assailants and yelled "Kill him!"

(source: coconuts.co)

PAKISTAN:

COAS approves death sentence of 12 terrorists

Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Raheel Sharif Thursday confirmed death
sentence awarded by military courts to 12 terrorists.

According to Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), the convicted terrorists
included Muhammad Qayyum, Asif, Muhammad Bacha and Shahadat Hussain, Samaa
reported.

The terrorists were involved in attacking security personnel and civilians, the
ISPR said.

Pakistan reinstated the death penalty and established military courts as part
of a crackdown after suffering its deadliest ever extremist attack, when gunmen
stormed Army Public School in Peshawar in 2014 leaving more than 150 people
dead.

(source: thenewstribe.com)

***************

Flowers from the muck----A well-observed account of Pakistan's death penalty
and how it works

Pakistan's death row is one of the grimmest places on earth. The sordid
conditions of its condemned - stowed away for decades, 8 men to a
120-square-foot cell, sustained on filthy gruel and constantly recontaminating
one another with disease - are the least of its horrors. When this book begins
in 2013, an estimated 8,000 people were awaiting execution. A former minister
estimates that 2/3 were innocent. "Trials" is about a foreign lawyer's plunge
into this swirling injustice. The surprise is the flowering of virtue that she
finds at its centre.

Isabel Buchanan was somehow drawn to this mess. Just months after finishing her
law degree in Scotland, she decided to learn Urdu, move to Lahore and bury
herself beneath a mountain of files in a stifling room. She says modestly
little about her reasons, save for a self-effacing remark about her love for
Pakistani sweets.

The 1st pattern to emerge is the way Pakistan's penal system is wielded against
British-raised expatriates who return to their homeland. Jealous neighbours
easily suborn the police into arresting them. Ms Buchanan took up the victims'
cases to provide them with legal aid. Her guide is another crusading misfit,
Sarah Belal, whom she introduces with great charm ("one of Pakistan's least
successful lawyers ... unemployed, depressed" and yet glamorous). Along the
way, she cobbles together a handbook to a mad system.

Together, the 2 lawyers plough into a field of perversity. The police routinely
begin their investigations by torturing suspects into unreliable confessions.
This is so well known that Pakistan's courts have ruled statements made in
police custody to be inadmissible as evidence, unless corroborated. So the
torture goes on, in co-ordination with police who plant evidence to validate
the forced confessions. In one case the same man is sentenced to death twice:
once by hanging, once by firing squad. But the most perverse judgments arise
from an unholy hybrid of antiquated British rules and Islamic law: the law
against blasphemy. An Islamist reinterpretation of sharia demands the ultimate
punishment, while colonial-era criminal procedures short-circuit traditional
Islamic opportunities for apologies and mercy.

More than 1,200 people have been sentenced to death for blasphemy, but none has
been executed. Ms Buchanan attributes that oddity to "a quiet, subtle act of
objection" on the part of Pakistan's higher courts, which do what they can to
lessen the law's damage. Instead, convicted blasphemers are murdered routinely
outside the court system, as are those who might protect them. Yet many
continue to brave the murderers' threats.

Other bravery shows itself through tenderness, as when an innocent prisoner
devotes himself to comforting panicked men on their way to the gallows. Ms
Buchanan dedicates her book to him. She manages to keep aloft several such
stories at once, with a fine eye for machinery behind the scenes: like the
black typewriters that judder under candlelight during a summertime blackout.

In an elegant final chapter, Ms Buchanan makes the point that Pakistan is
hardly alone in subjecting Pakistanis to inhumane treatment. Ms Belal's ragtag
team turns to arguing for the repatriation of Pakistani civilians dragged by
American special forces across the border into Afghanistan and stored like meat
in a locker at an American prison near Bagram. Its inmates have been denoted by
serial numbers, and years of their lives have been stolen, on a mere guess that
they may be terrorists.

Eventually the courts in Pakistan agree to recognise the prisoners near Bagram
as people, and Ms Buchanan gives them their due. "It was Pakistan's legal
system that championed fundamental rights where 2 great Western democracies
[Britain and America] had denied them." In a triumph against appearances, some
Pakistanis refuse to submit to pressure to dispense with the niceties of
justice.

(source: The Economist)

PHILIPPINES:

'I'm not perfect but I'm no drug dealer': Australian man facing the death
penalty in the Philippines for 'selling cookie monster ecstasy' pleads his
innocence - as his girlfriend expects their 1st child----Damian Berg was
arrested in Manila in June accused of selling ecstasy; The engineer from
Adelaide protested his innocence to Daily Mail Australia

An Adelaide man arrested for allegedly selling 'cookie monster' drugs in the
Philippines has pleaded his innocence from jail as he faces the death penalty.

Damian Berg, 34, spoke exclusively to Daily Mail Australia via his pregnant
girlfriend to insist he was the victim of a set-up on Thursday.

Protesting that he did not attempt to sell a horde of blue ecstasy tablets in
Manila, as accused by Philippine authorities, Mr Berg said he was 'not perfect'
but had never been 'a drug dealer'.

He instead laid the blame squarely with Canadian native Jeremy Eaton who was
also taken into custody in June when police claim to have found them with 170
of the pills.

'It's lies,' he said of the allegations against him.

'Marvie and I had been arguing while I was at work,' he said, explaining why he
was not at the couple's shared home but at a hotel nearby when he was arrested
with Eaton on June 21.

Mr Berg, 34, claims he was named to police by a local drug addict who once saw
him drinking in a bar with his co-accused.

The engineer said he had no reason to engage in criminal activity after finding
work and a happy life with his girlfriend, who is pregnant with their 1st
child, since leaving Australia several years ago.

'I was lucky to secure the role in the Philippines as Marvie and I intended to
start a family.

'Why would I do this stuff ? No need. I am not perfect but I am no drug
dealer.'

If found guilty of drug dealing, Mr Berg could face the death penalty under a
new, harsher crime crackdown introduced by the country's new leader, Rodrigo
Duerte.

Duerte has a notoriously tough stance against drugs, once claiming he would
kill his own son if he ever caught him taking them.

Speaking to Daily Mail Australia upon his arrest last month, Ms Zanelucas broke
down as she contemplated life without him.

'We were planning on getting married until this happened,' she said.

'We had a plan and now this everyone is saying he's a drug dealer and I said:
"What the hell". It's not true. I'm not scared, we know the truth. He is a good
man. He doesn't belong there.

'I am talking to his family on Skype. As of now I am OK. I am strong, I have
the support of my family.'

She added her partner was not close friends with Eaton but that the pair were
merely acquaintances.

Ms Zanelucas, who is 29, is due to give birth to their 1st son in November.

Mr Berg's parents, who remain in Adelaide, said in June they were aware he had
been taken into custody.

'What we do know is that Damian is in custody in Manila and is being treated
OK.

'It will take time before his case is heard, and until then we can't comment
any more. As a family, we dearly love him and will be supporting him as much as
we can,' they said.

The 34-year-old's case has been postponed for a month, leaving him to wait in a
Manila prison until facing trial when proceedings resume.

The Department of Trade and Foreign Affairs is providing consular assistance to
the Berg family, a spokesman said last month.

'The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing consular assistance
to an Australian man arrested in the Philippines, in accordance with the
Consular Services Charter.

'Due to privacy obligations, we are unable to provide further comment.'

(source: dailymail.co.uk)