Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Jul 12 09:45:15 CDT 2016

July 12

IRAN:

A Prisoner Scheduled to Be Executed Within 3 Days

Mehdi Pakgoftar, from Ilam is scheduled to be executed on drug related charges
within 3 days. His elderly parents have sit in front of the Head of Judiciary's
Office since 2 months ago and insist on their son's innocence. They say the
Supreme Leader's representative has also asked the authorities to pardon him
but it was rejected and he will be executed on Wednesday.

According to the report of Human Rights Activists News Agency in Iran (HRANA),
Mehdi Pakgoftar, 34, from Fatemieh village of Ilam city is going to be executed
on drug related charges in the Central Prison of Ilam on Wednesday.

A close source to his family told HRANA's reporter: "Mehdi has been imprisoned
since 2010 in Central Prison of Ilam. His family say the Supreme Leader's
representative has also asked the authorities to pardon him but it was rejected
and he will be executed on Wednesday."

"He has been charged with smuggling 10 kg of crystal which was discovered from
a friend of him. The friend has confessed that the drugs belonged to Mehdi.
Though it was not so." The source said about his charges.

"His parents are 70 and 68 years old. He mother suffers from MS. They have have
sit in front of the Head of Judiciary's Office since 2 months ago and insist on
their son's innocence." The source stated in the end.

(source: HRA News Agency)

**************

More Than 12 Prisoners Scheduled For Execution The Coming Days

After a short break on the ocassion of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, the
executions have resumed in Iran. At least 12 prisoners are scheduled to be
executed in 3 different Iranian prisons in the coming days.

According to Iran Human Rights' (IHR) sources 10-13 prisoners of Rajaishahr
prison (Karaj, west of Tehran) have been transferred to solitary confinement in
preparation for execution. The prisoners who are all convicted of murder were
transferred to solitary confinement on Sunday July 10 and are scheduled to be
executed on Wednesday (12-13 July).

6 of the prisoners are identified as: Saeed Javad, Hassan Ghadimi and Mohammad
Akbari from Ward 1, Faribors Azizpour, Hassan Mahdilou and Seyed Mohammad
Taheri from hall 3 of Section 10 of Rajaishahr prison.

According to information received by IHR one prison identified as "Hadi
Pashaei" has been transferred to solitary confinement in the prison of Maragheh
(Northwestern Iran) in preparation of execution in the coming days. He is
allegedly convicted of drug-related charges and was arrested 6 years ago. Four
other prisoners from the same prison, identified as "Vali Samani" and "Mehdi
Samani" (brothers), "Mehdi Baziari" and "Masoud Ghasemzadeh" are scheduled to
be executed in near future. Also these prisoners are convicted of drug-related
charges.

Website of the "Human Rights Activists News Agency" (HRANA) reported yesterday
that one prisoner identified as "Mehdi Pak Goftar" is scheduled to be executed
in the prison of Ilam (western Iran). The prisoner is convicted of drug-related
charges and the execution is scheduled for this week, said the report.

(source: Iran Human Rights)

NIGERIA:

Death penalty: Group hails Delta govt

A group, the Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants (CURE-Nigeria),
has praised the decision of the Delta State House of Assembly to abolish death
penalty for convicted kidnappers in the state.

The group's Executive Director, Sylvester Uhaa, who described CURE-Nigeria as
"a justice/prison reforms and human rights organisation," called on the Senate
and House of Representatives to take a cue from the state and drop the proposed
legislation to impose capital punishment on kidnappers in the country.

Uhaa, in a statement in Abuja, noted that available data and lessons from other
jurisdiction show that the death penalty does not deter crime.

"The death penalty is only an emotional and violent response to crime, which
does not really solve crime, but perpetuate more violence and create more
victims," Uhaa, an advocate for the universal abolishment of the death penalty
and a Commonwealth Scholar in International Human Rights Law at the University
of Oxford, United Kingdom, said.

Uhaa urged the Federal Government to expunge capital punishment from it laws in
line with the call of the Secretary General of the United Nations (UN), Ban
Ki-moon on all countries to abolish the death penalty.

He called on stakeholders to address the causes of crime, such as unemployment,
corruption, and exclusion of people as some of the ways to reduce the high rate
of kidnapping and other crimes in the country.

(source: thenationonlineng.net)

INDONESIA:

The Perversity of Death Penalty

In 1 of the first scenes of Krzysztof Kieslowski's 1987 "A Short Film About
Killing," a young lawyer paraphrases the words of Karl Marx: "Since the days of
Cain, no punishment has ameliorated the world nor intimidated it from
committing crimes."

Several years ago we showed it with friends from the Freedom Institute in
Jakarta. The screening was a special one to me as it brought my thoughts back
to Poland, where in the 1980s the reception of this film had generated the
movement for the abolition of capital punishment. It became almost instantly an
artistic commentary to the political reality.

In Jakarta, the film was just an excuse to discuss death penalty as such. We
did not need to relate to politics, as back then Indonesia had de facto
abolished capital punishment and none of us would expect that the moratorium
would end in the process of democratisation in the country. This has recently
been proven wrong.

We are all familiar with a variety of arguments against capital punishment: it
fails to deter crimes, it sets vengeance as the priority of justice, it puts
innocent lives at risk, it violates the right to live and much more. To each of
these a counterargument will be found, the most powerful of which employs the
word "retribution."

Retribution is the means to restore fairness and balance between burdens and
benefits, whereby unfair advantage gained by the person who disrupted the
balance would be taken away. That there is justice in retribution we might have
to accept with common sense.

But with common sense we would inevitably accept that handing down death
sentence in retentionist countries for a range of crimes, not just for murder,
is by no means a retributive measure. Can the same be said about murder then?

It is not, unless serial murderers would, for each of their crimes, be tortured
till near-death experience before the actual execution. But this is too cruel,
isn't it? Would we do that? By our own hands? No? By whose hands then?

All of the methods of execution are obviously likely to cause enormous
suffering. Even if at some point in history several of these methods had been
considered "humane." And years after that they had proven to be exceptionally
cruel.

Thus, quite naturally the debates over capital punishment usually turn to the
application of the death penalty. Most of us, abolitionist or not, stand
against cruel treatments, not only of people but generally of all sentient
beings. What we do about it is another thing, yet by principle we are against
it.

And so was the 18th century physician Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, who proposed the
use of a machine later named after him, as a humanitarian way of putting an end
to lives of people sentenced to death. He believed that the "simple mechanics"
of guillotine lessened the cruelty of execution and saved the convicts from
excruciating pain. It was a philanthropic machine aimed to serve the dignity of
man.

Today the use of this once considered benevolent and progressive instrument is
generally acknowledged a crime against humanity. Medical examinations upon
which Albert Camus based his essay "Reflections on the Guillotine" (1957) have
shown that death by decapitation is a slow process accompanied by unfathomable
agony that lasts several minutes or even hours. Death is not immediate:
intestines ripple, heart produces incomplete movements, muscles fibrillate, and
eyes in the severed head remain clear.

The report that Camus quoted is much longer and, as he said, one cannot read it
without blanching. Yet, while probably reinforcing our distaste against the
application of the capital punishment, it does not touch the perversity of the
death penalty itself. And neither did Camus in his other works, despite the
acutely insightful abolitionist discourse he upheld since the publication of
The Stranger (1942).

It took another great Frenchman to approach the death sentence in terms of a
paradoxical finality. In 1999 to 2000 and 2000 to 2001 Jacques Derrida's
seminars at Ecole des hautes Etudes en sciences sociales (EHESS) in Paris were
devoted to the subject of death penalty. Since last year the 1st part of these
seminars has been available in English as The Death Penalty, Volume I: The
Seminars of Jacques Derrida.

Derrida sees death penalty as the only example of death whose instant is
calculable by a machine, by all sorts of machines: the law, the penal code, the
anonymous 3rd party, the calendar, the clock, the gallows, the syringe, the
guillotine or other apparatus which puts an end to life.

The calculated decision by which life ends, paradoxically, is putting an end to
finitude that belongs to life by its very nature. My life is finite but I do
not know, I cannot know and I would rather not want to know when I am going to
die.

Death penalty, the mechanically calculated moment of death, deprives one of
life, but also of the experience of finitude, it takes control over time and
future. Only a finite living being can have a future, be exposed to its
uncertainty and incalculability.

In one of the last scenes of Kieslowski's Short Film About Killing, a prison
guard interrupts the last conversation between the convict and his lawyer,
"Sir, the prosecutor is asking if you are finished now." The lawyer stands up,
approaches the guard and says, "Please tell the prosecutor that I will never
say: now."

The perversity lies not in the execution of a death penalty, but in its very
principle that claims mechanical and, thus, inhuman control over something
essentially human.

(source: Commmentary; Natalia Laskowska is a PhD candidate from Leiden
University and Jakarta Globe staff)

TAIWAN:

INTERVIEW: Fighting for the Innocent on Death Row in Taiwan

Edward White is an International Editor with The News Lens International.

Lin Hsin-yi, executive director the Taiwan Alliance to End the Death Penalty
(TAEDP), believes that at least 3 people who are currently on death row in
Taiwan are innocent.

The organization and the lawyers it works with have reviewed all of the
judgments in which the death penalty has been handed down over the past 15
years. In addition to the 3 cases identified so far, Lin says there is reason
to believe there have been many more miscarriages of justice.

In an interview with The News Lens International at TAEDP's Taipei office, Lin
discusses the difficulties activists and lawyers have in gaining access to case
records, why pressure from local activists and international diplomats has
failed to change government policy, and details TAEDP's new strategy for
influencing the government.

The News Lens International (TNLI): To start with, how many people in Taiwan
currently face the death penalty?

Lin Hsin-yi: Right now there are 41 death row inmates, where the death sentence
was confirmed. If the Minister of Justice signs the execution order, they can
be executed at any time.

TNLI: What is the process that the Minister of Justice takes, after a final
Supreme Court decision, before signing an execution order?

L.H-Y: There is no law to say that he or she has to sign the execution order.
The only rule is if he or she signs the order, the execution must take place
within 3 days.

There is no law that says once the sentence is finalized then the execution
must happen. The Minister of Justice, he or she can decide not to sign the
execution order.

TNLI: I would like to come back to the current Minister of Justice later on,
but first can you talk about how Taiwan uses the death penalty in comparison to
other countries in Asia?

L.H-Y: We just went to Oslo for the 6th World Congress Against the Death
Penalty - the biggest congress for abolitionists. People think that in Taiwan
the situation is not so bad compared to Southeast Asia or even Japan, because
the execution number is not increasing - maybe it's decreasing a little - and
we don't use the death penalty for drugs and terrorism.

TNLI: Just to clarify, that is because under international law, the death
penalty should only be for the most serious harmful crimes, and drugs aren't
considered part of that?

L.H-Y: Yes, that is right.

Transparency in Asia is not good - not only in Japan and Taiwan, but also
Southeast Asian countries. We don't know much about the death row inmates. For
example, in Taiwan and Japan, the government will not tell the family or the
lawyer when the execution will happen. In Southeast Asia, it is very difficult
for them to meet with death row inmates.

For us, we have had a moratorium for 4 years. You can see that from 2000 - when
power switched for the 1st time from KMT to DPP - the president, Chen
Shui-bian, first announced Taiwan is going to abolish the death penalty
gradually. The moratorium started in 2006. In 2008, Ma Ying jeou said that
Taiwan would follow the international human rights standards. In 2009, we
passed the 2 [international] covenants, so that it become our domestic law.
>From that trend, Taiwan was going towards abolishing the death penalty.

According to the [International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights], if a
country ratifies the ICCPR it means that you are going towards abolishing the
death penalty. Currently, in Taiwan, the politicians will say 'the ICCPR says
we can only use the death penalty for the most serious crimes, but it did not
say we could not execute people.'

It is very ironic. We have already had a moratorium and signed the ICCPR. The
government had given a commitment. But then, after that, the executions
reopened in 2010.

TLNI: Obviously, the public sentiment over crime was a factor when the
executions restarted. What is your view on why the majority of Taiwanese
support capital punishment?

L.H-Y: Actually, we did a public opinion survey in 2014. You can see that there
is a problem with the surveys; mostly, they make a phone call and ask one or 2
questions about whether you support the death penalty. Usually, this kind of
survey takes place after some serious crime. Of course, most people will say 'I
support the death penalty.'

We decided to survey with [Academia Sinica]. We interviewed more than 2,000
people, with a very long questionnaire. The major finding is: if people have