[Deathpenalty] death penalty news-----N.H., CONN., PENN., VA., FLA., OHIO

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Feb 29 09:31:28 CST 2016

Feb. 29

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

Halt executions

For the Monitor

As an Episcopalian and long-term opponent of capital punishment, I appreciate
any measure that moves New Hampshire closer to total repeal of the death
penalty. I am especially gratified that Senate Bill 463, a bill suspending
executions, has recently been voted "ought to pass" by the Senate Judiciary
Committee.

There are several aspects of SB 463 that can be commended. The sponsors of the
bill represent a bipartisan diversity of views on the political spectrum. It
heartens me to see our state senators working together to pass significant
legislation. SB 463 is also historically significant. If the bill passes the
full Senate and then the House, it will be the first time that a state
legislature has called a halt to executions.

The bill suspends the death penalty until it can be guaranteed that innocent
people will not be executed. Since 1976, 156 people have been released from
death rows because they did not commit the murders for which they were
convicted. This risk is unacceptable. Previously, only state governors and in
one case an attorney general have called for moratoriums.

Passage of SB 463 would be a halt called by our state legislature because the
risk of executing an innocent person is too high. Passage of SB 463 would be a
significant step forward for New Hampshire.

MARTHA A. HUNT

North Sutton

(source: Letter to the Editor, Concord MOnitor)

**************

Death penalty suspension coming up for Senate vote

New Hampshire's state Senate is poised to take up a bill that would effectively
end use the death penalty in the state without flat-out repealing it.

Republican Sen. Kevin Avard is the primary sponsor of a bipartisan measure to
"suspend" use of the death penalty until "methods exist to ensure that the
death penalty cannot be imposed on an innocent person." New Hampshire is the
only state in New England with the death penalty still on the books, and
efforts to repeal it in 2014 deadlocked in the 24-member Senate.

The vote in Thursday's Senate session will be close, likely with 1 or 2 votes
determining the outcome. Not all senators could be reached Friday by The
Associated Press for a full vote count.

(source: Associated Press)

CONNECTICUT:

Connecticut court to rule on death penalty abolishment

The Connecticut Supreme Court is set to rule on whether to confirm or overturn
its decision last year to abolish the state's death penalty.

Justices are expected to release their ruling Monday in the appeal of Russell
Peeler Jr., who was sentenced to death for ordering the 1999 killings of a
woman and her 8-year-old son in Bridgeport.

The court ruled 4-3 in August that capital punishment was unconstitutional,
striking down a 2012 law that abolished the death penalty for future murders
but left it in place for 11 men already facing execution. The decision came in
the appeal of another death row inmate, Eduardo Santiago.

The Supreme Court allowed state prosecutors in the Peeler case to address
issues the court raised in the Santiago ruling.

(source: Associated Press)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Justices weigh if DA-turned-judge had murder case conflict

A Pennsylvania death row inmate has a simple challenge for the U.S. Supreme
Court: The same person shouldn't be both his prosecutor and judge.

Yet inmate Terrance "Terry" Williams says that's exactly what happened to him.

Williams says then-Philadelphia District Attorney Ronald Castille signed off on
the death penalty prosecution in 1986 and then voted on Williams' appeal as
chief justice of the state Supreme Court in 2014.

The court reinstated Williams' death sentence, reversing a judge who'd found
that Castille's prosecutors hid evidence in the case.

The case goes before the nation's highest court on Monday. Castille says he's
confident he was fair and impartial.

Williams' lawyers call Castille's dual role an outrage.

8 justices are hearing the case. Justice Antonin Scalia died earlier this
month.

This Man Is on Death Row for Killing His Alleged Rapist

On January 26, 1984, Terrance "Terry" Williams bludgeoned and stabbed
50-year-old Herbert Hamilton to death. Williams poured kerosene on the body,
tried to set it on fire, and fled the crime scene. Police would later discover
a stash of photos Hamilton had taken of teenage boys performing sexual acts,
and multiple young men came forward with stories about being sexually abused by
Hamilton, who was said to prey on adolescents, deal them drugs, and force them
to have sex.

But killing Hamilton isn't what sent Terry Williams to death row.

On June 11 of the same year, Williams, now 18, beat 56-year-old Amos Norwood to
death with a tire iron in a Philadelphia cemetery. He then took the man's
money, credit cards and car, and set the corpse on fire.

Both of the older men were sexually abusing Williams, who has since described a
childhood defined by violence both in and outside the home.

The teen was apprehended that July, and in separate trials, the same
Philadelphia assistant district attorney prosecuted him for both murders. For
Hamilton's killing, Williams got 27 years. For Norwood's killing, which
prosecutors falsely portrayed as the brutal robbery of a stranger, Williams was
sentenced to death.

What the prosecution kept from the jury is significant enough that 5 of the
jurors from the original trial have signed statements saying they wouldn't have
voted for a death sentence had they known then what they do now.

On Monday, the United States Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments in
Williams's appeal to vacate that death sentence in what might be the last
chance for the killer - and victim - to receive the justice that has eluded him
for 3 decades.

Both murders are clearly about a young man who killed his sexual abuser. What
made the outcomes of the 2 trials so different were the actions of the
prosecution: In the 2nd trial, the prosecutor chose to conceal Williams's true
motives, according to his defenders and multiple judges, as well as evidence
from the DA's office.

Assistant District Attorney Andrea Foulkes insisted the cemetery attack was a
robbery motivated by greed, pure and simple. In her telling, Norwood was acting
as a good Samaritan who offered a ride to Williams - a total stranger. The
crime was so heinous that Foulkes asked for the death penalty. The jury went
for it.

But thanks to evidence that surfaced in 2012, we know the police and DA were
well aware the middle-aged man and the teenager knew each other intimately.

A rector at St. Philip's Episcopal Church, where Norwood had been a youth
volunteer, told police back in 1984 that a parishioner had reported Norwood
"propositioned" her teenage son "for sex." Norwood's widow even told the police
about her husband's strange relationship with young men. Foulkes's handwritten
1984 interview notes refer to the complaint against Norwood as well as "other
possible incidents," including a teenage boy whom Norwood "touched on
privates."

Meanwhile, Foulkes wrote down that Norwood was one of "Terry's Johns." And she
called the police unit investigating the murder "the faggot squad." Those notes
remained unseen until 2012, with the Philadelphia DA keeping them hidden even
after a judge explicitly asked if the state had any evidence suggesting
Norwood's "homosexuality."

Even the prosecution's own star witness, Williams's friend Marc Draper who was
with him the night of Norwood's murder, told Foulkes that Williams and Norwood
knew each other. But as Draper finally revealed years later, she pressured him
into testifying that the two were strangers.

When Williams's lawyers argue in front of the Supreme Court Monday, they will
be able to point to this and other pieces of key evidence the prosecution
concealed in the trial, painting Williams as a senseless killer.

But the focus of Williams's attorney Shawn Nolan and his co-counsel will be on
more recent alleged ethical and legal violations: namely, the failure of State
Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald Castille to recuse himself from the appeal
of the death sentence even though he had overseen the prosecution - and
personally approved the death sentence request as Philadelphia district
attorney.

It's hard to overstate the importance of this case for those who believe in a
criminal justice system founded on judicial impartiality. Among those who have
filed amicus briefs supporting Williams are 16 former prosecutors and 7 former
appellate judges, including Kenneth Starr, the lawyer made famous by the Monica
Lewinsky scandal in the 1990s.

The psychological and physical abuse Williams endured began at home. On one
occasion, his mother, Patricia Kemp, chased and pushed him down a flight of
stairs in front of teachers and students. Another time, she beat him in front
of his teachers so severely that the faculty promised Williams they would stop
contacting her.

Williams's mother beat all 3 of her children regularly - sometimes with
extension cords, according to neighbors and friends. She even poured boiling
water over her toddler-aged daughter, sending her to the hospital.

After both of his older siblings joined the Air Force to escape the violence,
Williams was left alone to witness the violent fights between his mother and
stepfather, Ernest Kemp - and endure his own abuse.

The Kemps routinely beat each other with baseball bats, Williams claimed.
Ernest once allegedly leveled a gun at his wife's face and then Williams's
face, threatening to kill them both, and cracked Patricia's skull with a lead
blackjack. She, in turn, was said to hit Ernest in the head with a frozen
steak, knocking out 2 of his teeth.

Williams's physical and mental abuse in his own house was followed by sexual
abuse in the community - which is no surprise given that children who suffer
early psychological and physical abuse endure higher rates of sexual
victimization later in life.

Dr. David Lisak, a nationally-known forensic psychologist, spoke with Terry
Williams at length and reviewed over 70 interviews, sworn statements, and
medical documents from friends, family, teachers, psychologists and medical
professionals.

"His mother brutally abused him, both physically and emotionally, and so
damaged (him) that he desperately sought the attention and approval of an older
male, someone who could replace the father he never knew," Lisak wrote in a
report on Williams. "His desperate need was a vulnerability that drew sexual
predators to him."

When Williams was 6, he has said, an 11-year-old boy in his neighborhood
invited him home, made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and raped him.
When Williams was in middle school, he claimed, a teacher showed him special
attention, buying Williams and his mother groceries, plying him with gifts, and
inviting him to his home, where he raped him on repeated occasions.

Williams was 13, he told Dr. Lisak, when he met Amos Norwood, a chemist and
church deacon, at a deli. Norwood invited him to hang out, took him to bars,
and soon started pressing him for sex, rewarding the boy with gifts and cash.
Sometimes, against his protests, Williams reported, Norwood would hit him with
whips or belts and penetrate him violently, without lubrication. Later, Norwood
would be contrite, and pay Williams extra to make up for the pain he'd caused.
Williams recalled to Dr. Lisak meeting Norwood for sex the night before the
murder at an abandoned parking lot.

"I took my pants off... He made me lean against his car and he penetrated me
from behind. This night he was rough in penetrating me. He didn't use any
Vaseline. I felt hurt and mad because he was rough with me that night. He
forced himself into me. I told him to stop. He kept on. I was clenching my anus
so tight trying to stop him but he wouldn't stop and it hurt so bad I
screamed."

Like the district attorney's notes about his abuse, Williams's story remained
hidden long after he was sent to death row. It wasn't until 1996, when Shawn
Nolan and colleagues from the Federal Defender's Capital Habeas Unit came on
board, that Terry Williams began to reveal the traumas of his young life.

For the 1st time, he had a capable defense team.

Williams's original counsel, Nicholas Panarella, who would later be suspended
over his role in a wire fraud scheme, had waited a year and a half after his
court appointment to the capital case to meet his client. Incredibly, Panarella
visited Williams for the first time the day before jury selection - and 18
months after taking on the case. They ultimately settled on the implausible
defense that Williams neither knew nor killed Amos Norwood despite overwhelming
physical evidence and the testimony of an eyewitness. Prosecutors would later
use Williams's claims of innocence to argue he dug his own grave.

Once they were on the case, Nolan and his team tracked down other young men who
claimed they'd been abused or propositioned by Norwood. Interviewing people
from the church, the attorneys found their way to a man named Ronald House, who
swore in an affidavit that Norwood had tried to have sex with him when he was
16 or 17. When he told his mother, she informed the church rector. When he did
nothing about it, House and his mother left the church.

The attorneys used this new evidence, as well as Williams's obviously
ineffective counsel, to fight for a new sentencing trial. But for four years,
the DA's office fought them every step of the way. The state insisted there was
no evidence of any abuse and dismissed the new claims as "gossip."

A federal judge - the same one who asked if the state had anything showing
Williams was gay, and was told they did not - ruled in 1998 that the original
counsel had been ineffective, but accepted the state's argument that since no
reliable evidence of abuse existed, Williams would have been sentenced to death
even if he'd had a competent attorney.

(Andrea Foulkes told me by phone it "wouldn't be appropriate" to discuss an
open case. A spokesman for incumbent Philadelphia District Attorney Seth
Williams told me he couldn't comment but that the office had released
statements to the media.)

When I spoke to Nolan last spring, he described the "last ditch effort" he and
co-counsel made in January 2012, when appeals had been exhausted and an
execution date had been set for that October. They reached out again to the key
trial witness against Williams, Marc Draper.

Draper had pleaded guilty to 2nd-degree murder and been sentenced to life in
prison without parole. Realizing that the clock was ticking - and having "found
God," as he told Nolan - Draper agreed to talk. Not only did he confirm the
sexual relationship, but Draper also accused the DA's office of coercing his
original testimony to match their theory. Draper signed an affidavit saying he
had told investigators, "Norwood was a homosexual and that he was in a
relationship with Terry and that that is what this case is really about." The
prosecution, he added, "did not want to hear that. They wanted the motive to be
a robbery and kept coming back to that. That's how they wanted me to testify.
That it was a robbery."

Draper explained in the affidavit that Foulkes threatened to pursue the death
penalty unless he testified that the murder was a robbery. To sweeten the deal,
Draper said, she promised to only charge him with second-degree murder and
write a letter of recommendation to the parole board. But during the initial
trial, when Draper was asked if he had made any deals with the DA's office, he
said no. And Foulkes didn't correct him.

It was Draper's revelation that convinced Common Pleas Judge Teresa Sarmina to
grant Williams an emergency evidentiary hearing for September 20, 2012, two
weeks before he was set to be killed. During the 3-day hearing, Sarmina ordered
the DA's Office, over its objections, to retrieve their trial files from
storage for review.

The contents of the boxes were astonishing.

"I was like, Oh My God! Look at this," Nolan told me. "This totally
corroborate[d] what we ha[d] been pleading all along." The DA's claim in
post-conviction hearings that Williams was lying about being abused by Norwood
was "totally false," and "outrageous." In fact, the files proved that they knew
better, Nolan argues.

Sure enough, Foulkes's notes referred to a deal she made with Draper. And she