[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, FLA., LA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Feb 28 08:24:45 CST 2016

Feb. 28

TEXAS:

Convicted killer maintains innocence 4 decades later

Jerry Jurek's hair went gray in prison.

But he still combs it back in the Elvis Presley-esque style popular 40 years
ago when he was arrested. Once a slender man, he now has a round face and
swollen fingers. His hands and arms are tattooed with the faded names of loved
ones.

Jurek has spent most of his life behind bars for murdering Wendy Adams, the
10-year-old daughter of a Cuero police officer.

In 1974, Jurek was sentenced to death in the electric chair. He was 22 at the
time. He's now 65.

Questions over the fairness of Jurek's confessions ultimately won him a
retrial. The 1982 trial ended early when the victim's family asked for a plea
deal. Jurek was sentenced to life with parole.

During the 1st trial and throughout the appeals process, Jurek's low IQ level
was a topic of concern. Expert witnesses testified that he could not make
change for a dollar or list the days of the week.

His dimness made it difficult to comprehend the weight of his decision to not
have an attorney present for his confessions and the consequences of his
admissions, according to court documents.

After the U.S. Supreme Court suspended capital punishment in 1972, the Texas
Legislature passed a new death penalty law two months before Wendy's murder.
And Jurek's would be the test case.

Asked whether he was scared when given the death penalty, Jurek replied:

"When they gave it to me, I just laughed in the judge's face, said how you all
going to give me something that there ain't?"

His reaction, a mixture of blissful ignorance and far-fetched bravado, was
consistent throughout his interview with the Advocate.

The Advocate interviewed Jurek at the Coffield Unit, a maximum security prison
in Anderson County that houses more than 4,000 inmates. Jurek has spent most of
his sentence there, accompanied by a handful of men who were on death row at
the same time as him and also got reduced sentences.

In a visitation wing near the entrance of the prison, a plexiglass window
sandwiched between 2 panels of black metal mesh made it possible to see Jurek's
blue eyes clearly. Jurek sat with his arms resting on a small table jutting out
below the plexiglass. His hands clasped, the words "LOVE LIL SIS" tattooed on
his knuckles.

Jurek spoke with a twang that reflected his Louisiana birthplace. When asked a
direct question, he often launched into wild stories about his childhood and
perceived injustices done against him.

He got the tattoo on his knuckles "on the streets" when he was 13 in honor of
his 1st girlfriend, he said.

"Her hair was that color," he said, pulling at the collar of his white prison
uniform. She had pink eyes and, while she had poor eyesight in the daylight,
she was an expert marksman at night.

"You give her a .30-30 Winchester at night time, she'd strike matches with it.
I used to laugh at her about that," he said, chuckling.

Jurek's childhood love left him when she turned 13. But his luck turned around
years later when a blind date's mother signed over the title for a Mustang
Cobra to him.

"She hands me the f --- title for this Mustang Cobra. I'm thinking she's
playing with me," Jurek said. "She says, 'It's yours. You said you like it,
don't you?' ... I said, 'No, you ain't giving me a $119,000 car without some
kind of deal behind it.' She said, 'You took my baby out. It's yours.'"

Unfortunately, the car was taken back by the woman's ex-husband, a Texas Ranger
on the run for murder, he said.

Jurek's detachment from reality also was noticeable in his confusion over
names. When asked about Wendy Adams' family, he started talking about his
wife's family.

This was also a problem during his 2nd trial, when Jurek told the judge he did
not want to be represented by Douglas Tinker, who was instrumental in getting
Jurek the new trial.

Tinker - a high-profile defense attorney who would later represent Selena's
killer, Yolanda Saldivar - was reappointed to Jurek's defense after it was
discovered Jurek had confused Tinker with another attorney.

Jurek became less animated when talking about the day of the crime for which
he's in prison. His blue eyes fixed straight ahead. His head tilted to the side
in attentiveness.

Jurek pled guilty in turn for his life sentence. But he said he's innocent.

He was with Wendy Adams on Aug. 16, 1973, the day she was murdered. But when
the truck they were driving broke down, he said, his attention was directed
toward fixing it. During this time, Wendy disappeared with his friend, Ricky
Phillips, he said.

"I didn't know they had disappeared 'til he came back saying, 'Oh, I killed
her.' I said, 'You done what? And I'm thinking he's playing with me. Cause he
always doing that to me," Jurek said. "I said, 'Go get the kid. Get her up
here. We got to get her back to her parents.' 'No, I killed her.' Said, 'How'd
you do it?' He said, 'I drowned her, I drowned her.' Come to find out he
actually did do it."

Phillips, who still lives in Cuero, said he had no part in the crime. He was
brought in for questioning when it was discovered Wendy was missing, but he was
never formally charged.

Phillips said Jurek dropped him off at a pool hall before he abducted Wendy
from the Cuero municipal swimming pool.

"Well, it wasn't me, or I'd be in prison. I ain't a damn fool to kill a little
girl like that. ... I got more sense than that," Phillips said. "He didn't like
her daddy a lot. Her daddy used to stop him driving a lot. Try to stop him from
speeding and all that stuff. He used to get in trouble all the time."

Jurek has been up for parole 17 times. Each time he's been denied.

"They want you to work like a slave in here, but still set you off," he said.

Despite his frustration with the parole process, Jurek believes that someday
he'll get out.

If he does, he wants to move back to Louisiana, where his family lived before
his dad lost his job and they moved to Cuero.

"First thing I'm going to buy me is a Rolls-Royce. I've fell in love with
that," he said. "I want the one they call the Rolls-Royce Drophead. That's a
beautiful automobile."

(source: Victoria Advocate)

FLORIDA:

Death row serial killer swore he didn't murder 3 women before he was executed
by lethal injection

Rib-eye steak, baked potato, lemon meringue pie and Coca-Cola; this was Oscar
Ray Bolin's last meal before he was executed in January.

Oscar had spent 30 years on death row for killing 3 women in 1986. He protested
his innocence to the very end, but a last-ditch appeal to save his life was
rejected.

"I did not murder these women," he told local media the day before his death.
"My conscience is clear."

While arguments raged about the ethics of using the lethal injection on the
guilty, there was no doubt that 3 young female victims deserved to be
remembered.

They'd suffered unimaginable fear and pain during their abductions and brutal
murders, and while their families fought tirelessly for more than a decade for
justice, Oscar played the legal system and even got married.

In January 1986, Natalie Holley, 25, was abducted one night after leaving a
fried chicken restaurant in Tampa, Florida, where she worked as the manager.
The next day, a jogger found her body dumped in woodland. She'd been brutally
stabbed to death and the police launched a murder inquiry.

10 months later, Stephanie Collins, 17, disappeared from a shopping centre car
park. Weeks later her battered body was found in Hillsborough County, Florida.
She was wrapped in sheets and had blunt force head injuries.

On the very same day she was found, police discovered the body of Terri Lynn
Matthews, 26, by a railway line in Pasco County, Florida. She'd been abducted
the night before from a post office where her car was found with the engine
still running. The post she'd collected was scattered on the ground. Terri had
been beaten, raped and stabbed - and was also wrapped in sheets. With 3 women
snatched and killed in the same way, the authorities knew there was a serial
killer on the loose, but it took 4 years and a betrayal of trust before anyone
was charged with the murders.

In 1990 Police received an anonymous tip on a phone line, pointing the finger
at Oscar Ray Bolin. There was no need for a manhunt - he was already in prison
serving a 75-year sentence for kidnapping and raping a waitress who worked at a
truck stop cafe in 1987.

Oscar was a former carnival worker, and long distance truck driver. There was a
record of his car being near Natalie Holley's abandoned vehicle at the time of
her disappearance.

Another key witness came forward and testified against him in court. Oscar's
half-brother Phillip Bolin said he'd seen him beating a woman wrapped in a
sheet. Oscar had claimed it was a woman who had been shot in a drug deal gone
wrong.

Phillip also said he'd watched Oscar try to drown the woman with a hose and
beat her with a club. That woman turned out to be Terri Matthews.

Oscar's wife Cheryl, who is now deceased, also testified against her
ex-husband.

Convicted

In July 1991, Oscar was convicted of Natalie Holley's murder. 3 months later he
was found guilty of murdering Stephanie Collins and, in 1992, guilty of
murdering Terri Matthews too. He was given life, and the death sentence for
Terri's murder.

But over the next 2 decades, all 3 convictions were overturned at least twice
due to legal errors, and it dragged out the suffering of the victims' families.
Oscar claimed his ex-wife's testimony wasn't admissible in court because their
conversation was his 'spousal privilege' and it had been violated.

There was also another convict who had confessed to the crimes before
committing suicide, and a forensic officer who'd handled evidence that had been
later disqualified. But despite Oscar facing 10 more juries, each one found him
guilty.

By 2005 he was re-convicted of all 3 murders and the death sentence for Terri
Matthews was upheld.

Oscar managed to remain in the spotlight for decades with his legal battles
and, incredibly, his love life. While in prison, Oscar started dating Rosalie
Martinez, a paralegal on his defence team.

Rosalie had been married to a prominent attorney when she met Oscar, but she
divorced him to marry the convict on live TV in 1996 to an audience of 12
million. They remained together until his death and Rosalie insists she never
thought he was guilty, and campaigns for the end of the death penalty.

In January this year, Oscar filed a last-minute appeal, but it was denied. On
January 7, he spent 3 hours with his wife then ate his last meal.

Then he was taken to the room where more than 30 witnesses, including the
victims' families, were waiting out of sight.

Moments before the execution, Oscar was asked if he had any last words. "No
sir," he replied. At 10.16pm, he died after being administered a lethal
injection.

Terri and Stephanie's mothers were there to see Oscar die. They'd stuck
together through 10 trials - along with Natalie???s mum, who has since passed
away. Their bond was like no other. They shared the pain of losing daughters
and the agony of his constant denial which led to years of sitting in
courtrooms.

The day before Oscar died he gave an interview with Fox 13 News claiming he'd
been framed. Oscar said evidence had been tampered with and planted.

"I did not murder these women," he said. "My conscience is clear. Florida's
just killing me, [the families] are not getting any peace by executing me
tomorrow."

But the victims' loved ones say they have found peace. They've expressed their
relief that their ordeal is finally over, and although the punishment of death
legally was just for Terri???s murder, they agreed Oscar had died "for all our
girls".

Oscar denied his 3 young victims the chance of a future so the law took away
his.

(source: Daily Mirror)

LOUISIANA:

Can we afford the death penalty?

Last year the criminal indigent defense system was broken. Today it is
shattered.

When the Caddo Parish indigent defense system went into emergency operation
last year, it was one of only a handful of parishes in that situation. Now, 8
parishes are operating under emergency circumstances, and more likely will
follow.

Courts are responding by appointing private lawyers to represent indigent
persons accused of crime. Those include lawyers who have never tried a civil
case, much less a criminal case.

Imagine that you are poor. You have been accused of a robbery you did not
commit. You can't afford a lawyer. When you appear in court, the court appoints
a lawyer to represent you.

When you ask the lawyer about his experience, you learn he has never tried a
case of any kind, never made an argument before a court, and has been a title
examiner for 20 years. You also learn that the lawyer will not be paid for his
services at all. What would you think about your chances of receiving adequate
representation?

Suppose courts appointed doctors to render medical services to the poor. You
need a heart transplant. The court appoints a radiologist to perform the
transplant who has never performed an operation of any kind since medical
school. The radiologist will not be paid for the operation, and neither will
the nurses, hospital, and other staff. What do you think about your chances for
survival?

Under the current system, hundreds, perhaps thousands, of indigent defendants
will be represented by lawyers inexperienced in criminal law. Even if
convicted, those convictions are subject to reversal due to inadequate
lawyering. Despite lawyers??? ethical responsibility not to undertake matters
in which they are incompetent, courts are appointing them to do just that.

Last Wednesday, Pete Adams, Louisiana District Attorneys Association executive
director, spoke to the Shreveport Bar Association on the topic, "Funding for
Indigent Defense - Who's Responsible." Rather than offer an effective solution,
he repeated the mantra of prosecutors that there is plenty of money for
indigent defense, but too much is spent defending death penalty cases. While I
was not present, reports from members present indicate the discussion and
questions that followed could be tactfully described as "testy."

The remarks raise a significant question, but in a different context. From the
standpoint of effectiveness, is the death penalty a good investment?

Does the death penalty deter murders? Studies suggest that it does not. In a
comparison by the Death Penalty Information Center of murder rates in death
penalty states versus states without the death penalty from 1991 through 2013,
the collective murder rate for the death penalty states was higher the
collective rate for states without the death penalty. For example, the murder
rate in Louisiana, a death penalty state, has been the highest in the country
in every year from 1996 through 2014.

How much extra does the death penalty cost? There are three basic components,
the cost of prosecution, the cost of defense (because the public normally pays
for indigent defense), and the additional cost of housing a death penalty
defendant on death row. In addition, consider that a capital case almost always
goes to trial, even if the defendant would be willing to plead guilty if a
death sentence was not available, and there would be no trial cost at all.

The prosecution of a death penalty case runs into the hundreds of thousands of
dollars. The defense costs the same or more. Because the penalty phase of the
trial occurs immediately after the verdict, the prosecution and the defense
must prepare for that phase, even if the defendant ultimately is acquitted.
Often the greatest costs of defense are to develop "mitigation" evidence, or
facts that might cause a jury to recommend life in prison rather than the death
penalty. Mitigation cost is zero if there is no death penalty.

Society has a right to execute murderers. If it is to do so, it should ensure
that persons who might lose their lives receive a competent and well-funded
defense. If the death penalty is not an effective deterrent, is the
satisfaction of society's right worth its fiscal cost?

In 2015, Nebraska, a very "red" state, decided it was not. The Nebraska
legislature repealed the death penalty there.

Shouldn't Louisiana be asking the same question in its current fiscal crisis?
Would scarce public monies better fund education rather than prosecutions that
do not reduce the murder rate?

(source: Opinion; Tom Arceneaux has been involved in master planning for
Shreveport as well as many civic organizations----Shreveport Times)