[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TENN., OKLA., MONT., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Feb 21 08:56:01 CST 2016

Feb. 21

TENNESSEE:

Exhibit showcasing artwork based on life and death behind bars stops in
Chattanooga

If you go

-- What: Diane Marek Visiting Artist Series featuring Amy Elkins

-- When: Daily through March 23

-- Where: Cress Gallery, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 752 Vine St.

-- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m., Monday-Friday; 1-4 p.m., Saturday-Sunday

-- Admission: Free

-- Phone: 423-425-4600
-- Artist website: amyelkins.com

-- Gallery website: cressgallery.org

The title of Los Angeles-based artist Amy Elkins' "Black is the Day, Black is
the Night" is a pretty forthright description of its emotional timbre.

The multimedia exhibit is comprised of real and composite images, drawings,
letters and other memorabilia based on the photographer's 5-year correspondence
with inmates serving out lifetime or death row sentences in complete isolation.
Of the 7 men with whom she corresponded between 2009 and 2014, 2 have been
executed and 2 were released.

Through her own research and their written exchanges, Elkins says her eyes were
opened, not just to the inner workings of the American penal system and its
application of capital punishment, but also to how inmates' perceptions of
reality and their personalities were altered by their confinement. "Black is
the Day, Black is the Night" is an attempt to depict the transformative nature
of incarceration for men she only knew through their words and mugshots.

"I really became intrigued about this aspect of being completely removed from
society but also just waiting slowly for your death," she says. "It's basically
like a long-distance portrait that's constructed in the only way I was able.

"With each person, it was a painstaking amount of researching I had to do to
create as much of a complete picture as I could. Even in that, I'm falling
short because I can never really make a complete, realistic view of their
lives."

In many cases, "Black is the Day, Black is the Night" display portraits of the
inmates or composite photographs of places they remembered that have been
artificially degrading using an algorithm based on the inmates' period of
incarceration to reflect their fraying grip on reality.

Elkins is the latest featured artist in the University of Tennessee at
Chattanooga's Diane Marek Visiting Artist Series. Through March 23, "Black is
the Day, Black is the Night" will be on display at the Cress Gallery. It is
exhibited alongside another one of Elkins' projects, "Parting Words," a "visual
archive" of more than 500 inmates who have been executed in Texas in the 40
years since the state's death penalty was reinstated. Instead of photographs,
their mugshots are rendered using excerpts of their last written statements.

Elkins' work has been featured by numerous outlets, including Wired magazine
and Huffington Post. In 2014, "Parting Words" was the recipient of the
prestigious international Aperture Portfolio Prize, which "identif[ies] trends
in contemporary photography and highlight[s] artists whose work deserves
greater recognition."

A self-described obsessive, Elkins says she tends to deep-dive into whatever
subject her artwork is centered upon. In the case of "Black is the Day" and
"Parting Words," that occasionally meant experiencing moments of empathy that
left her feeling "kind of hopeless or helpless," but she says she's pleased
that the completed exhibits invite a discussion of topics many consider to be
taboo.

"It was an enriching experience," Elkins says. "It just really opened up my
sense of awareness about my own surroundings, my relationships with others, my
own sense of freedom and how much a lot of us take for granted. It made me feel
more appreciative for my life.

"I just really like this idea that you're presenting information from a very
personal space and letting people have the room to have their own thoughts
about the subject. Most people I know don't talk about these subjects on their
own. But if you bring it up, it creates a strong, varying, emotional reaction
from people."

(source: timesfreepress.com)

OKLAHOMA:

It's Debatable: Lethal injections stir questionable

This week, Arnold Loewy and Charles Moster debate Oklahom's style of lethal
injection as a form of execution. Moster is a former litigation attorney in the
Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush presidential administrations who currently
has offices in Lubbock and Amarillo. and Arnold is the George Killiam Professor
of Law at Texas Tech University School of Law.

Arnold: 2 reasons for injections problem

In recent years in some states, it has become more difficult to ensure that
person subject to execution can be executed painlessly. The question for debate
is whether we should care. I believe that we should. To begin with, while the
constitutional cruelty of intentionally inflicting death is a hotly debated
topic among Supreme Court Justices, all agree that the intentional infliction
of gratuitous pain is not permissible. Thus such medieval tortures as burning
at the stake, hanging, drawing and quartering or disembowelment while living
are clearly forbidden.

But what if the state knows or should know there is a substantial risk that a
condemned man will feel excruciating pain just prior to his demise, like the
chemical equivalent of being burned at the stake, and yet be so paralyzed by
one of his drugs that he cannot even cry out in pain. It is at least arguable
that Oklahoma's capital punishment procedure could do that. Yet a closely
divided Supreme Court sustained Oklahoma's procedure, principally because it
thought that the risk of receiving such pain was not that great.

So how did we get to this situation? For years, Oklahoma employed a three-drug
cocktail which seemed to cause a painless death. Then one of the drugs,
thiopental, became unavailable because its manufacturer refused to allow it to
be used for the killing of human beings (although ironically it could still be
used for the euthanizing of animals). Thereafter, Oklahoma substituted
pentobarbitol for thiopental, and that seemed to work fine. But then that too
became unavailable (although remarkably it is still available in Texas and
other states). So, it substituted a drug called midazolam, and then the
problems began.

The problem began when Oklahoma attempted to execute a man named Clayton
Lockett. After being supposedly rendered insensate with 100 milligrams, Lockett
was administered an exceedingly painful (if conscious) paralytic agent.
Unfortunately the paralytic agent caused him to awake and he screamed that the
drugs were not working. The state then stopped further administration.
Fortunately Lockett died from the effects of midazolam 10 minutes later. This,
and a similar case from Arizona, have convinced some (including 4 Supreme Court
Justices) that this means of execution is cruel and unusual.

So, how did we get to this state where we can euthanize animals painlessly, but
Oklahoma cannot execute human beings without risk of extraordinary pain? There
are basically two reasons. First drug companies have made it difficult to
obtain drugs that are used for execution (though it is not clear to me why
Texas can obtain a safe drug and Oklahoma cannot). Second, either by law or
because of the Hippocratic oath, doctors are not permitted to participate in
executions.

I have 2 suggestions to ameliorate this problem. First if the government is
free to kill people (which for purposes of this debate, I assume they are), it
ought to be free to compel drugs, such as thiopental or pentobarbital to be
sold to the state by their manufactures (although such a law might require
federal intervention). After all, if Texas can get pentobarbital why can't
Oklahoma? 2nd, doctors should be able to aid in the administration of the drug
(or at least be on hand to make sure that nothing goes wrong). If they are on
hand at the time of death, this no more contributes to the death than the
doctor who administers morphine to a dying patient to make her death less
painful.

If neither of these alternatives are feasible and Oklahoma insists on retaining
capital punishment, then I would suggest, along with Chief Judge Kozinsky of
the 9th Federal Circuit (and a proponent of capital punishment), that we at
least give a condemned Oklahoman the option of painless death by firing squad.

Charles: Lethal injections should still be an option

As previously discussed in an earlier segment of It's Debatable, the Eighth
Amendment of the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. Today's
debate does not center upon capital punishment as a whole, but rather whether
or not lethal injection as a specific form of capital punishment is
constitutional and right. Within the context of capital punishment, the Supreme
Court has outlined in its ruling in Baze v. Rees that prisoners can challenge a
method of execution where they establish that the method "presents a risk that
is sure or very likely to cause serious illness and needless suffering, and
gives rise to sufficiently imminent dangers." The prisoners should also
demonstrate there is a feasible and readily implemented alternative method that
significantly reduces the substantial risk of pain.

Today, lethal injection is the most common form of execution in the United
States. Last year, the Supreme Court took on the question of whether or not
lethal injection was constitutional in accordance with the Eighth Amendment. In
Glossip v. Gross, the court ruled in a 5-4 decision in favor of keeping lethal
injection as an option for those inmates condemned to the death penalty. The
prisoners who brought on the action in court argued that midazolam, the 1st of
3 drugs given during the administration of the lethal injection, does not
adequately protect the inmates from pain. Once the 1st injection is
administered, the next injection is usually a paralytic agent which paralyzes
the inmate and stops all respiratory function. Finally, the 3rd injection
induces cardiac arrest. The court ultimately found that the inmates did not
establish a less painful alternative to lethal injection.

I agree with the Supreme Court in their recent decision, and support lethal
injection as an available option for carrying out the death penalty. Crucially,
lethal injection, as with all of the other recognized methods of execution,
should be administered only after a thorough opportunity for the accused to
prove his innocence. I support the death penalty as an option for the crimes
that merit such a final administration of justice. While lethal injection is
potentially painful to its subjects, it should still be an option. The Eighth
Amendment does not ensure a completely painless punishment, nor does the Eight
Amendment require it. Given that the death penalty in general is administered
only in those instances where the worst crimes against humanity have been
committed, if the prisoners suffer in the process of justice, then so be it.
The purpose of the death penalty as a means for society to respond to criminal
acts is not only an act of punishment, but that of retributive justice.
Retributive justice is a concept that states that those who have committed the
worst crimes deserve to suffer a proportionate punishment. I agree with this
philosophy, again, only for those who truly deserve it because of the danger
they pose to society.

The victims of the death row inmates surely suffered, as their families
undoubtedly have as well. If, in the course of administering justice, the
condemned suffer pain and discomfort, this is a just recompense for their
crimes. So long as our punishments fit within the parameters of the Eight
Amendment of the Constitution - such as the Supreme Court has found with lethal
injections - then they should continue to be administered.

Arnold: Inability to get drug raises questions

Let's begin with a point of agreement. If capital punishment is constitutional,
I agree that lethal injection is a permissible way to carry it out. Thus,
lethal injection in Texas, which apparently is painless (save for the needle
entering the condemned's veins), is not problematic.

But Texas uses pentobarbitol, which, so far as we know, renders the condemned
insensate. Consequently, there is a very small risk that the condemned will
suffer anything other than a painless death which is what his sentence says he
should receive.

Oklahoma apparently has not figured out how to get pentobarbitol. I have a
couple of suggestions. Perhaps it could pay Texas for some (since Texas seems
able to get it). Alternatively, perhaps Oklahoma could pay Texas to execute a
death row inmate by painless lethal injection.

What concerns me is that after the Supreme Court???s decision in Glossip,
Oklahoma need not even try to ameliorate the problem. The risk of pain, while
substantial, isn't substantial enough to require Oklahoma to do anything about
it.

Going even further, Mr. Moster appears to advocate the propriety of inflicting
pain for its own sake: "If in the course of administering justice the condemned
suffer pain and discomfort, this is just recompense for their crimes." If he is
saying with the Supreme Court that the risk of pain is not constitutionally
intolerable then I would respectfully disagree so long as there were other
alternatives such as buying the painless drug from Texas.

But, if he is saying that gratuitous infliction of pain is OK because of the
pain he caused his victims, then I strongly disagree. If we posit a defendant
whose cruelty included say burying his victim alive, it would not follow that
we could do the same thing to him. Though many, including me, may have a part
of himself who likes that idea, the Constitution, for good reasons, prohibits
it.

Thus, the intentional infliction of cruelty, however deserved in a particular
case, is not something that the state is free to do. The question is when is
the risk tolerable. I substantially agree with the Supreme Court's analysis
although I would not require that the risk be sure or very likely to inflict
needless suffering. Rather, I would hold that so long as the condemned can show
that there is a substantial risk of unnecessary pain, and there is a less
painful method available, that should preclude employment of the riskier
method.

Frankly, I have trouble believing that Oklahoma cannot get a drug that kills
people painlessly. How on earth is it that we can kill animals painlessly, but
not humans? Obviously one answer is the unwillingness of drug companies to
supply such drugs because of their opposition to capital punishment.

When I first considered this question I did not think that there was a good
argument against lethal injection other than general opposition to capital
punishment (which I do have). But the more I studied this question, the clearer
it became that in some states killing a person, deemed by the state to be no
longer fit to live is not as humane as killing an animal that is no longer fit
to live.

This is not something that a civilized society should have to accept,
especially since it is so easy to fix.

Charles: Lethal injections best choice available

Each U.S. state has a variety of different execution methods on the books, from
electrocution to the firing squad. Without question the most painless and
humane is lethal injection. This is not a debate about the death penalty, but
rather one type of execution method. Because it is not a debate about the death
penalty, really it is a discussion about the merits of the method, and how it
measures against other established methods. Within the context of this specific
discussion, lethal injection is clearly the best choice available to carry out
this important state function of execution while avoiding the constitutional
prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.

Lethal injection itself is a nebulous term that has included a variety of
chemicals over the years. The philosophy of the process is to provide the end
result - the end of the convicted criminal's life - as painlessly as possible.
Lethal injection attempts to be humane while also being efficient. This has
caused some complications as states have tried to meet the demands for humane
process with less than preferred concoctions. This is made worse as sedative
manufacturers are harassed into no longer making the preferred drug, which
worsens the shortage. Thus the argument regarding the composition of the lethal
cocktail is one that is not only fabricated by those opposed to the death
penalty, it is in fact caused by the very same people.

Oklahoma was using midazolam when the Supreme Court heard the arguments in
Glossip. A 500 milligram dosage of midazolam would induce a coma, and at that
dosage would, by itself, cause death through respiratory arrest within an hour.
Further, the state has safeguards in place during the execution process which
is meant to minimize discomfort. Some of these safeguards include a primary and
back-up IV, monitoring the inmate's consciousness, and training and preparation
of the execution team. Keep in mind that Glossip, one of the parties who
brought his case forward before the Supreme Court, was convicted of hiring
another man to kill his boss - the killer entered the room where Glossip's boss
was sleeping and beat him to death with a baseball bat. Should we attempt to
make Glossip's departure from this earth as humane as possible? Yes. However,
society should not be held to a standard of providing people like Glossip a
guaranteed painless experience. Society must be able to protect itself, first
and foremost - through the death penalty if need be.

Having accepted the constitutionality of the death penalty the question becomes
how it should be carried out. What is a more humane choice? Clearly some risk
of pain is inherent in any method of execution - the Constitution does not
require a pain-free death for death row inmates. If it did, the death penalty
would be unconstitutional altogether. Given the choices these inmates made,
lethal injection is the best choice available.

(source; Lubbock Avalanche-Journal)

MONTANA:

Death penalty is troubling to evangnelicals

This past fall, the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) adopted a new
position on capital punishment, which points out troubling flaws in its
application. The NAE had supported the death penalty for more than 40 years,
but it now recognizes that there are also legitimate theological reasons for
opposing it.

As the Montana district superintendent of the Assemblies of God - a member
denomination of the NAE - I applaud the NAE for taking this new position. It
reflects a growing shift among evangelical Christians on this important issue -
a shift I've witnessed in my own life.

I used to be a staunch supporter of capital punishment. In fact, a little over
5 years ago I submitted testimony urging the Montana Legislature to maintain
the death penalty. A fellow Christian challenged me to find support for my
position in Scripture, which prompted me to prayerfully study those biblical
passages relevant to the death penalty. I discovered that the biblical case for
the death penalty is much weaker than I had thought.

Often proponents of the death penalty cite passages such as Exodus 21:12-25 and
Leviticus 24:13-21, which specify the death penalty for certain crimes.
Inevitably, however, death penalty proponents rely on selective readings of
these passages to justify their position.

These passages call for the death penalty for a broad range of offenses beyond
just murder - for example, blasphemy and cursing one's parents. Another Old
Testament passage, Exodus 31:14, lists death as the punishment for not keeping
the Sabbath. I have yet to meet someone who supports the death penalty but is
willing to apply the rest of those verses equally. Such selective use of
Scripture is hardly persuasive.

In the New Testament, specifically Matthew 5, Jesus lets us know that we are
now held to a higher law. We are to love our enemies, forgive them, and
recognize the possibility of redemption in everyone.

If we apply the teachings of Jesus, we acknowledge that sin must have
consequences, but that the purpose of these consequences is to correct and
restore, not kill. I have difficulty squaring Christ's message with a
punishment that takes the life of those made in God???s image and can cut short
the process of redemption, especially when the condemned are already
incarcerated and no longer a threat to society.

In addition to these scriptural considerations, it is important that injustices
in the current application of the death penalty also inform our thinking on the
issue. I am deeply troubled by "the alarming frequency of post-conviction
exonerations," as the NAE's new resolution on capital punishment puts it.

Every few weeks or months, we hear of another innocent individual released from
death row. A recent study estimated that 4 % of those sentenced to death are
innocent. For those who value life, it is unconscionable that our government
continues to pursue a policy that puts innocent life at such grave risk.

The death penalty's high cost also should concern us. Studies around the
country consistently find that the death penalty costs states more than life in
prison without parole, often millions of dollars more, because of the complex
legal process in capital cases. States spend all this money despite the lack of
evidence that the death penalty has any effect in deterring crime.

Given this reality, it's hard to think of a better example of misplaced
priorities than the death penalty. As a case in point, Nebraska recently spent
close to $55,000 trying to illegally obtain lethal injection drugs from India
that it never received. The state may never recover this money. When there are
so many needs in society, it makes little sense for governments to throw away
money in often futile attempts to execute those already in prison.

I hope that Montana will not exhibit such poor judgment, but instead will end
its death penalty and focus on more important priorities. As a Christian, I for
one will continue to advocate for policies that promote life and redemption,
not death.

(source: The Rev. Alan Warneke, who lives in Billings, is the Montana district
superintendent for the Assemblies of God Church----The Billings Gazette)

CALIFORNIA:

California eyes 1-drug executions amid debate

Californians face a watershed year as they prepare to decide whether to resume
executions that stopped a decade ago or end them entirely.

While advocates jockey to put both choices before voters this fall, officials
overseeing the 746 condemned inmates on the nation's largest death row are
pushing ahead with plans to use a single lethal drug to meet legal requirements
amid a nationwide shortage of execution drugs.

Supporters said at a public hearing on Friday that crime victims have waited
too long for justice as the state dragged its heels in adopting a new method of
execution.

"The family members of the victims are dying before the murderers," said
Michele Hanisee, vice president of the Association of Deputy District Attorneys
of Los Angeles County. "Meanwhile, ironically, the state of California moves
ahead with an assisted suicide law that would allow doctors to prescribe the
same drugs for suicide that death penalty opponents will call inhumane when
used for executions."

Opponents said at the hearing that the state risks botching death sentences if
it moves too quickly in making the change.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation will consider
nearly 2-dozen comments from the hearing and written comments from about 12,000
people as it develops its final regulations. Any changes would require a new
round of public comments.

The state is proposing to let corrections officials choose from four types of
powerful barbiturates to execute prisoners, depending on which drug is
available.

The single injection would replace the series of three drugs used in 2006 to
execute 76-year-old Clarence Ray Allen for ordering a triple murder.

2 of the 4 drugs have never before been used in executions, and it's not clear
whether the state has enough safeguards in place to obtain safe, effective
drugs, said Ana Zamora, criminal justice policy director of the American Civil
Liberties Union of Northern California.

"Some of these executions using drugs obtained from questionable sources have
resulted in gruesome, botched executions" in other states, she warned.

The corrections department also failed to properly consider that ending
executions entirely could save state and local governments $150 million a year,
she said, referring to an estimate involving 1 of the pending ballot measures.

A recent Field Poll showed an almost even split among voters on the death
penalty, with 48 % wanting to speed up the legal process leading to executions
and 47 % seeking to replace executions with life sentences without the
possibility of parole.

"This could be the year when it comes to a head in the public vote on a very
interesting pair of initiatives," Field Poll Director Mark DiCamillo said. "I
don't think anyone can forecast how it will turn out."

In 2012, voters rejected ending the death penalty by 4 % points, but DiCamillo
said frustration with the seemingly endless delays and mounting expenses are
driving more people to favor doing away with it entirely.

The proposed single-drug injection process is the latest attempt to resume
executions after a federal judge halted executions in 2006 and ordered prison
officials to improve execution procedures.

5 years later, a Marin County judge rejected the state's newly developed 3-drug
lethal injection regulations.

8 states already have used a single drug for executions and there is no reason
the courts shouldn't quickly approve California's new regulations once the
procedure is adopted, said Michael Rushford, president of the Sacramento-based
Criminal Justice Legal Foundation.

The group sued to force California to adopt the method suggested by state and
federal judges in ongoing cases, and Rushford predicted executions could resume
this year if the rules are finalized soon.

Death penalty opponents said they will keep challenging the regulations.

The ACLU is suing to obtain at least 79,000 corrections department documents
related to lethal injections that it says are needed to show if safeguards are
in place to prevent the state from using backdoor ways to obtain execution
drugs that manufacturers say were not intended for that purpose.

Department of corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton said the documents the
department used to develop the proposed regulations are already available to
the public. The department plans to create the drugs in its own or other
compounding pharmacies.

Much of the testimony on Friday opposed the death penalty no matter how it is
carried out.

"It is likely in the future that if we do the grisly, horrible thing of
starting to execute people, that we will find out after someone has been
executed that they were innocent," Sacramento attorney Norman Hile said.

He said he represents an innocent man who is awaiting execution on death row.

Notorious prison gang targets New Mexico corrections officials

The reigning leader of the prison gang Syndicato de Nuevo Mexico is serving a
life sentence for killing another inmate in a dispute over a bottle of
vitamins.

Court records show "hits" on fellow inmates are nothing new for the home-grown
SNM, but Anthony "Pup" Ray Baca and 2 other convicted murderers in the gang
hierarchy decided to up the ante beginning in 2013, a federal indictment
alleges.

They are accused of hatching a plot to kill New Mexico Corrections Secretary
Gregg Marcantel and a top corrections department intelligence chief.

The alleged conspiracy turned deadly serious last March when the FBI got word
that the 2 officials' lives were in danger.

To carry out the hit, the SNM trio of inmates allegedly planned to rely on a
fellow gang member who was back on the streets after serving federal prison
time on a firearms charge, according to records obtained by the Journal.

Neither Marcantel nor Dwayne Santiestevan, who oversees corrections' Security
Threat Intelligence Unit, would comment about the alleged plot, referring
questions to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Albuquerque. A spokeswoman there
declined to answer questions about the alleged plot.

Baca, 52, Roy Paul Martinez, 43, Robert Martinez, 51, and Christopher Garcia -
all indicted on charges of conspiring to murder Marcantel - have pleaded not
guilty to the charges. Garcia, 40, isn't charged in the conspiracy to kill
Santiestevan.

Defense attorneys say they plan to "vigorously litigate" the case, but complain
that the government hasn't yet produced much pretrial discovery.

Documents obtained by the Journal show that the information received last year
by the FBI spurred a multiagency criminal investigation that has upended the
notorious gang that formed in the aftermath of the deadly New Mexico state
penitentiary riot in 1980.

Some 25 people alleged to be SNM gang members were indicted on federal
racketeering charges last December, accused of committing violent acts to
achieve the objectives of their enterprise. Of those, 19 are charged with death
penalty-eligible offenses.

Another 10 people, including suspected SNM associates and allies, have been
indicted on federal narcotics and weapons charges after undercover
investigators made an estimated 50 drug buys and firearms purchases, also
intercepting wire communications, according to a 41-page FBI search warrant
affidavit.

The investigation also turned up new SNM gang links to more than 20 homicides
in New Mexico. Some are cold cases that have gone unsolved for years and are
now under renewed investigation.

Never before has there been such a sweeping, concerted federally led effort to
disrupt what's been described as New Mexico's largest and most violent prison
gang, say law enforcement officials.

"Although the SNM Gang has historically been on law enforcement radar, the
current investigation began in early 2015 when leaders of the SNM Gang called
for the murder of two-high ranking administrators," states the FBI affidavit.

SNM was described in the affidavit as a violent gang "with a history of
murderous activities," assaults on police officers, reprisals against rivals,
countersurveillance against law enforcement, and ongoing and repeated criminal
activity and firearms possession.

SNM members committed such acts "for the purpose of gaining entrance to and
maintaining and increasing position" in the gang, the indictment alleges.

In an email response to Journal questions, Corrections Secretary Marcantel said
the federal attention "in this case sets an important foundation for inmate
accountability within our prisons."

"Given our recidivism and the reality that almost everyone sentenced to prison
will eventually return to our neighborhoods, what happens in prison matters to
our neighborhoods. That is exactly why the value of our collaboration with the
FBI and (the U.S. Attorney's Office) in this case can't be underestimated."

Who runs the prisons?

SNM in recent years has been featured in 2 hard-hitting reality television
shows in which gang members have boasted that they run the state's prisons -
rather than the corrections officers or administrators.

"Hey, when I get out, I'm joining ISIS. I'm representing ISIS in here," inmate
Jerry Montoya laughingly told a television crew filming the A&E TV series
"Behind Bars: Rookie Year," which aired last fall about rookie New Mexico
correction officers' 1st year on the job.

With a prior murder conviction, Montoya told the film crew he was being housed
in a high-security area "strictly with my gang. We're all here for each other."

Montoya's defense attorney last year sought to keep his televised remarks from
a jury that was to decide whether he was guilty in another murder: the killing
of SNM gang member Javier Molina in March 2014. The defense argued his
statements were edited and taken out of context.

Molina and co-defendant Jerry Armenta were charged with stabbing Molina more
than 40 times around his heart at the Southern New Mexico Correctional Facility
outside Las Cruces.

A week before trial last November, the state charges were dismissed in
anticipation of Montoya and Armenta being indicted in the federal racketeering
case. They - and 5 additional alleged SNM gang members - are now facing federal
conspiracy and murder charges related to Molina's death.

The A&E show quoted one rookie corrections officer as saying, "The No. 1 most
important part about prison gangs is 'mess with them and God only knows what
will happen.'"

He added that he hoped someday to get promoted to the prison intelligence unit
run by Santiestevan, where the work might not be so dangerous.

"I know a lot of these guys, they have the ability to reach out and touch
somebody," he told the television crew. "They have the ability to go after my
family when I'm not there."

Scrutiny not effective

The FBI says SNM has had as many as 500 members since the early 1980s.
Currently, about 109, excluding the federal defendants, are among the 7,300
incarcerated in New Mexico prisons.

But SNM's grip extends beyond prison walls. Continued allegiance and contact
with the gang is required even after SNM members are released from prison,
according to a 2011 FBI report.

As evidence: Nearly 1/2 of the people the FBI sought to search for evidence
last December were out on the streets, some on parole or probation. Four were
out on bond facing other criminal charges.

One familiar SNM face who was indicted - 3-time convicted killer Gerald "Stix"
Archuleta - is now grayer than when he made headlines in 2009 after allegedly
offering $20,000 to anyone who would kill then-Bernalillo County Sheriff Darren
White.

White had used Armenta as a poster boy to push for a tougher three-strikes law
in New Mexico.

Armenta was not charged in that alleged threat. But years after leaving New
Mexico in 2011 and resettling in Tennessee, where he served a 1-year parole,
Archuleta's alleged ties to SNM have resurfaced.

The federal racketeering indictment alleges that Archuleta was among 3 SNM
members who conspired to severely beat 56-year-old inmate Julian Romero last
year at the Southern New Mexico Correctional Facility.

Romero was attacked within five hours of SNM gang members being let out of a
16-month prison lockdown instituted after Molina's murder.

The federal charge against Archuleta, once the ranking leader of SNM, contends
the conspiracy to harm Romero was 12 years in the making. Also charged in the
conspiracy is Baca, aka "Pup," who back in 1989 claimed self-defense in the
fatal stabbing of inmate Luis Valasquez days after he took Valasquez's
vitamins, court records state.

According to the FBI affidavit, the recent investigation "has yielded evidence
of SNM gang members participating in more than 2 dozen homicides, numerous
attempted murders and aggravated assaults, as well as armed robbery, drug
trafficking and other felony crimes that are being investigated ... ."

For instance, the affidavit revealed that law enforcement officials now believe
they have solved the 15-year-old murder of 2 Southern New Mexico Correctional
Facility inmates who were strangled within hours of each other. Their deaths in
2001 were investigated by State Police, but no charges were ever filed. Another
SNM gang member is now a suspect in a 2012 homicide in Socorro County in which
the victim was shot multiple times and placed inside a vehicle that was then
set on fire, the affidavit stated.

"Despite being imprisoned and closely scrutinized by prison officials, SMN gang
leaders still manage to convey their orders to gang members and associates
throughout the prison system and outside the prison system through a variety of
means, including contraband cell phones, secret notes called 'kites' or
'welas,' coded letters and messages conveyed by complicit visitors," states the
search warrant affidavit.

The affidavit sought, in part, a federal magistrate's permission to take photos
of suspects' bodies for evidence of tattoos that would establish membership in
the SNM gang.

(source: Albuquerque Journal)