[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----ALA., UTAH, USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Feb 17 17:16:41 CST 2016

Feb. 17

ALABAMA:

DA seeks death penalty in home invasion death of elderly Cusseta man

The 3 men accused of killing a Cusseta, AL man in his home last month made a
court appearance on Wednesday.

A district attorney will seek the death penalty as their cases were bound over
to a grand jury in Lee County.

Khaleef Marshall, Devonte Mike, both of Opelika, and Robert Wiggins, of
Columbus, all 20 years old, are each charged with capital murder in the death
of Curtis Rudd.

Rudd was shot in his home on Lee Road 177 on Jan. 19.

"I heard 2 shots and heard Benny tell me, 'Kay - they got me,'" recalled Rudd's
wife, Kay.

Wiggins was shot by Rudd during the home invasion, and was later at the
hospital before being taken to jail and charged.

Horrific and heartbreaking testimony from Kay Rudd as she takes the stand to
testify in the prelim hearing of the 3 men accused of murdering her husband,
Curtis "Benny" Rudd.

Mrs. Rudd testified after her husband was shot she hugged him and told him to
fight and hang on. She called 911, family and friends for help. She also
testified she got a pillow and a blanket for him so her husband wouldn't get
cold.

The 3 suspects remain behind bars on no bond. Investigators say the 3 kicked in
Rudd's door in an attempted home invasion and opened fire.

(source: WTVM news)

UTAH:

Human trafficking death penalty bill moves forward

Human traffickers might face Utah's death row if lawmakers pass a bill that
will impose the death penalty in aggravated crimes.

Rep. Paul Ray, R-Clearfield, introduced the bill to a legislative committee
Feb. 2 by recounting the case of Shelby Andrews, who was brutally beaten to
death by her stepmother and father. Andrews??? parents were unable to receive a
death penalty because the law did not permit their crime to be punishable by
death.

"(The parents) could not receive the death penalty because the intent for
murder wasn't there," Ray explained. "Their intent was for abuse."

HB136 was written to protect children from human trafficking, but now HB136
protects every victim from aggravated crimes that come from human trafficking.

This bill will impose the death penalty on human traffickers if they knowingly
cause the death of another through aggravated robbery, rape or assault.

Representatives from different public organizations spoke out against HB136.
Kent Hart, a criminal defense attorney, spoke in behalf of the ACLU of Utah.
Hart read a statement that said, "Death penalty is the gravest exercise of
government power over its citizens. We are, therefore, opposed to HB136
(because it is) expensive, ineffective and arbitrarily applied."

In the disclosed letter, the ACLU of Utah mentions, "The cost of the death
penalty is about $1.6 million more per inmate, from trial to execution than it
costs for (a life sentence) without parole."

Hart said money spent on death penalty cases could be used to help other
organizations that fight against human trafficking and to help aid victims who
suffered from those crimes.

Bountiful Police Chief Tom Ross supports the bill. Ross said human trafficking
"is the most heinous of crimes."

"This is the death of a child that has been tortured through abuse or sexual
assault ... (This is) about punishing somebody that has committed the worst of
crimes to those that are a most protected asset," Ross said.

Virginia Ward, who works for an organization for women who are human
trafficking victims, explained that there are no organizations that have state
funding for victims of human trafficking.

"If we are gonna say that the people who are affected by the outcome of this
legislation are our most cherished asset, then we need to go ahead and support
them now," Ward said.

She spoke against Ross' statement.

"It doesn't make sense that we are not giving those resources to the
individuals that are currently affected," Ward said. "There are currently 200
women who are being trafficked today on (Salt Lake City's) State Street and
North Temple ... None of those girls are working for themselves."

Ward believes these victims need help through state funding rather than using
the money for carrying out death penalties.

Despite the opposition to the bill, the committee voted 6-3 to pass the bill,
where it will advance to the full House to a list of bills for debate.

(source: universe.byu.edu)

USA:

Jewish Leaders Take A Stand Against The Death Penalty

In a petition initiated by Uri L'Tzedek, the Orthodox social justice movement,
Jewish leaders across Jewish denominations expressed opposition to the use of
the death penalty in America. As Jews, as citizens of a nation dedicated to
liberty and justice, we believe that governments must protect the dignity and
rights of every human being. The use of the death penalty, in America, fails to
live up to this basic requirement.

Opposition to the overuse of capital punishment is embedded deep in the Jewish
religious psyche. The rabbis taught that a court that puts others to death too
often is deeply problematic. How often? Rabbi Eliezer ben Azariah says, "Every
seventy years." Rabbi Tarfon and Rabbi Akiva said: "If we were in a court, no
person would ever be executed," (Makkot 7a). While not categorically opposed to
capital punishment, the rabbis saw the death penalty as so extreme a measure
that they all but removed it from their system of justice. In contrast, our
American system today lacks the highest safeguards to protect the lives of the
innocent and uses capital punishment all too readily.

We do not naively believe that everyone on death row is completely innocent of
any crime. Yet, too often, the wrong person is convicted for crimes they did
not commit.

We all agree that a responsible government must have a strong, punitive justice
system that maintains order and security. More harmful to our justice system
than not catching the guilty, however, is punishing the innocent.
Unfortunately, this happens too often. Owing to their socio-economic situation
or lack of access to legal resources, wrongly convicted people often have no
real opportunity to respond to an overwhelming legal system that makes the
proof of innocence difficult. The consequences of this system are not only
fundamentally unjust but also produce racially disparate outcomes.
Additionally, it is the tax payers who are required to pay exorbitant amounts
to maintain death rows.

It is time to see the death penalty for what it is: not as justice gone awry,
but a symptom of injustice as status quo. "You must rescue those taken off to
death!"(Proverbs 24:11)!

There are 6 primary reasons for wrongful convictions:

1. Eyewitness misidentification: Some of the reasons for why eyewitnesses
identify the wrong person are not fixable, such as the fact that people are
much worse at cross-racial identification, but there are many things that
police can do when conducting line-ups that would decrease false
identifications.

2. False confessions: A recent example of this is the case of the Central Park
Five, in which 4 of the 5 then-teenagers confessed to raping and killing a
woman in Central Park years ago, and recently were proved innocent through DNA
testing.

3. Ineffective lawyering: Defense lawyers mess up, either because they just are
not good lawyers or because they are so overburdened that it is impossible to
do a thorough job on each case.

4. Police and prosecutorial misconduct: Examples of this include crime labs
claiming that they had test results when no tests were actually performed, and
prosecutors not providing exculpatory evidence. Unfortunately, punishment is
rare.

5. Junk science: This applies both to methods that are not really science when
empirically tested, and to legitimate science performed poorly.

6. Unreliable testimony: Witnesses, usually in jail, come forward claiming to
have heard the suspect confess in order to get favorable treatment on their own
cases.

How many prisoners are truly innocent? Experts have offered varying percentages
in the last decades: Samuel R. Gross and Barbara O'Brien estimated "at least
2.3 %"; Jon B. Gould and Richard A. Leo put it at 3 to 5 %; James S. Liebman
and his team placed their estimate at 7 %; and the newest estimate, by John
Roman and his team, places its estimate at 5 %, except for sexual assault, for
which the wrongful conviction rate may be as high as 15 %.

Jewish law strongly upholds the principle that the innocent should be spared
undue punishment. When God reveals to Abraham his plan to destroy Sodom and
Gomorrah (Genesis 18:17-33), Abraham challenges God: "Will you also destroy the
righteous with the wicked?" When God offers to spare the cities if there are 50
righteous people, Abraham solicits a response for the value of innocent life;
eventually, God decides that if there are even 10 righteous people, God will
spare the cities. Abraham doesn't press further but one might presume that a
city can't be destroyed if even one were innocent. Thus, from the time of
Abraham, it was important that punishment should be reserved for the guilty,
and against all odds to the contrary, the innocent should be spared.

Today, there are those who are dedicated to ensuring that the innocent do not
languish in jail. The National Registry of Exonerations, a joint project of the
University of Michigan Law School and the Center on Wrongful Convictions at
Northwestern University School of Law, has now recorded 1,040 exonerations in
less than a year of investigating data since 1989. The Registry highlights the
need to scrutinize convictions - especially in the states with the most
exonerations, such as Illinois and Texas - to ensure that they were honestly
obtained and that the defendants had sufficient and competent defense.

Additionally, the Innocence Project, founded by Barry C. Scheck and Peter J.
Neufeld of Yeshiva University's Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in 1992, is a
group that utilizes DNA testing and other state of the art technology to
establish the innocence of falsely-imprisoned inmates. The staff of lawyers and
Cardozo clinic students, and allies in many states, has thus far exonerated 301
prisoners, who had served an average of nearly 14 years (and 18 of whom had
been on death row), using DNA evidence. There are more than 50 Innocence
Projects in the United States, under the umbrella of the Innocence Network.
They need our support.

1 case illustrates the great value of the Innocence Project for American
society. In 1974, James Bain was convicted of raping a 9-year old boy in
Florida. The primary evidence at the time revolved around the blood type of the
semen on the victim's underwear. The jury believed the prosecution's claim that
Bain's blood type (AB) was the same as that found on the scene, when in
actuality the blood sample was blood group B. Once DNA evidence became
available, Bain tried 5 times to get the Circuit Court to examine his case, but
was rejected. Finally, after the Innocence Project became involved, DNA
evidence was reexamined, confirming that Bain was not the rapist. James Bain
was exonerated and released in December 2009, after serving 35 years for a
crime he did not commit.

While we need a justice system, but we also need a system of justice. We punish
those who transgress the law, but ensure that the rights of the innocent are
protected, that if a prisoner is found to be innocent, then that prisoner
should be set free and given fair compensation. Former district attorney,
Governor of California, and Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren was well
aware of the often coercive methods by which law enforcement obtained
confessions and convictions, and how scrutiny needed to be applied to ensure
that only the guilty were convicted and incarcerated. As he said: "Life and
liberty can be as much endangered from illegal methods used to convict those
thought to be criminals as from the actual criminals themselves."

This is nothing short of the championing of justice over inequity, and as a
community, we must support their work. Jewish community leaders should call for
an end to this cruel practice, but also for the beginning of a new paradigm of
fair, equitable, and restorative justice.

(source: Rabbi Dr. Shmuly Yanklowitz is the President & Dean of the Valley Beit
Midrash, the Founder & President of Uri L'Tzedek, the Founder and CEO of The
Shamayim V'Aretz Institute and the author of 9 books on Jewish
ethics----jewishjournal.com)