[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----GA., FLA., ARK., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:01:17 CST 2016

Feb. 4

GEORGIA:

Georgia death row on my mind----I got Brandon Jones off death row 20 years ago.
On Tuesday, the state of Georgia ended his life.

I knew I wouldn't sleep on Tuesday, when the state of Georgia geared up to
execute Brandon Jones. At 72, Jones was the oldest prisoner to ever be killed
there, and to me, he was no anonymous condemned prisoner: Jones was an old
client of mine. More than 20 years ago, I got him off death row. Then, I moved
away from Georgia, and some local lawyers managed to get him back on. His
appeals failed; they made plans to end his life. So even though I was in London
some 4,261 miles away, on Tuesday, my mind was on the Georgia Diagnostic and
Classification Center, its euphemistic name for death row.

Brandon always insisted that while he had taken part in his alleged crime - a
robbery of a convenience store in 1979 - his co-defendant, Van Solomon, was the
one who shot Roger Tackett, the unfortunate and entirely innocent attendant.
Solomon was electrocuted in 1985, despite the heroic efforts of my good friend,
lawyer George Kendall. I was more fortunate: In 1989 I managed to persuade a
federal judge to order a new sentencing trial to decide whether Brandon would
live or die.

It was a curious issue that seemed to save Brandon's life. In talking to the
jurors, I learned that they had illegally taken a Bible into their
deliberations. They had not turned to Matthew 5:7 and read that "Blessed are
the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy." Rather, they had relied on Exodus
21:24: "You shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for
tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for
bruise. ..." Because of this smuggled guidance, Brandon got a new sentencing
trial.

By the time Brandon was on trial again, in 1994, I had moved to Louisiana to
set up a death penalty charity, and could not commute hundreds of miles to Cobb
County, Georgia, for the case. I found him an excellent lawyer, but he and
Brandon had a falling out, and Brandon ended up with 2 court-appointed lawyers
who had no idea what they were doing. Tom Charron, a bloodthirsty local
District Attorney who seems to relish the association of his name with the
mythological ferryman Charon on the River Styx, successfully urged the jury to
call for a second death sentence. I have participated in the retrials of every
other client whose sentence I managed to reverse, and won every time. Brandon
was the solitary exception. In that way, I, too, failed him.

On the morning of Tuesday, February 1, Brandon's death had been sanctioned by
the narrowest of margins. The issue was whether Georgia's new secrecy laws were
valid: The state now refuses to allow access to information about the drugs
being used in executions after a spate of embarrassing challenges to the
execution protocol - some concerning botched executions, some concerning the
right of pharmaceutical companies to object to the government using their
life-saving drugs to kill people.

5 of the 11 judges on the federal court of appeals voted for a stay. "Today
Brandon Jones will be executed, possibly in violation of the Constitution,"
Judge Robin Rosenbaum predicted. "He may also be cruelly and unusually punished
in the process. But if he is, we will not know until it's too late - if ever."

Even at the 11th hour, the battle was not over. Sickening as it sounds, I have
often received a stay from some judge, anywhere between Atlanta and Washington
DC, within an hour of an execution. Here, Brandon's execution was set for
midnight GMT, [7 p.m. in Georgia]. His current lawyers filed a flurry of last
minute pleadings, and they won Brandon extra time and extra life - albeit
perhaps only temporarily. So the clock edged around as Brandon sat in the
holding cell, close by the execution chamber.

"Brandon, a septuagenarian, had to wait for death alone, with perhaps a guard
stopping by his cell door for company."

Almost 30 years ago, in 1987, I sat with Edward Johnson, the young man
immortalized in the BBC documentary "14 Days in May" as he awaited death in
Mississippi's gas chamber. But society has moved on, and we are even less
civilized, now. So Brandon, a septuagenarian, had to wait alone, with perhaps a
guard stopping by his cell door for company. I have been in those rooms before,
watching the clock move at once too fast and too slow towards the dial of the
appointed hour. It is excruciating.

It was 4 a.m. GMT when Justice Clarence Thomas, at the Supreme Court in
Washington, vacated the final stay of execution. Now, after 36 years, this
allowed the "Diagnostic Center" to set about killing Brandon. Problem is,
despite their appetite for death, they are not very good at it. No doctor may
take part - the Hippocratic Oath forbids it - so some inept technician probed
and prodded Brandon for an hour, trying to find a vein. In the end, they had to
insert the needle in his groin.

A journalist who was present from the local paper wrote that Brandon "fought
death." I know he would have, but that was another euphemism. What she meant
was that they botched it. Georgia uses 1 drug to execute its prisoners - a
medicine originally designed for patients with severe epilepsy. Since the
medicine is made to save the lives of patients, not end the lives of prisoners,
the manufacturer had forbidden its sale to prisons for use in executions. But
instead of heeding the manufacturer's wishes, the state turned to a shady
compounding pharmacy and paid the pharmacist to mix up unapproved versions of
the product so they could go ahead with executions; presumably this was the
same pharmacist that had previously mixed up drugs for Kelly Gissendaner's
execution, which were found to have "white chunks" in what ought to have been a
transparent solution.

Secrecy surrounding Georgia's execution protocol means that the public could
obtain no assurances regarding the quality of the drugs injected into Brandon's
groin in the early hours of this morning. Anecdotal evidence doesn't inspire
confidence: While Brandon's eyes closed within a minute of the warden leaving
the execution chamber, a full 6 minutes later, his eyes popped back open.
According to the witnesses, he looked at a clock on the wall, and then appeared
to look at the man who prosecuted him in 1979, Tom Charron, who was sitting on
the front row of the witness area.

How I hate to think of what was happening then. Charron was sitting in the same
chair when they executed Nicky Ingram 20 years ago. I remember the bald patch
at the back of Charron's head, and how he could not keep eye contact when I
looked at him. I doubt he could hold Brandon's eye either.

When I would leave that execution chamber, always in the early hours, I
invariably looked up at the stars - the same stars looking down on Brandon as
he died were hovering over London last night.

And I have always asked myself: Did that ghastly event in there really make it
a more civilized world?

(source: Clive Stafford Smith is the founder and director of Reprieve----Al
Jazeera)

FLORIDA:

Florida Supreme Court orders new trial for Spaniard on death row

The Florida Supreme Court on Thursday overturned the murder conviction of
Spaniard Pablo Ibar, who has been imprisoned for almost 22 years, 15 of them on
death row.

The 4-3 decision means Ibar will get a new trial on charges he took part in the
1994 murders of nightclub owner Casimir "Butch Casey" Sucharski, 48, and models
Sharon Anderson and Marie Rogers, both 25.

One of the high court's key findings in ordering a new trial was that Ibar's
DNA was not found on the t-shirt recovered from the murder scene that the
killer used to partially cover his face.

Ibar, 45, has always maintained his innocence, and his defense team emphasized
in their appeal the lack of reliability in the DNA test, a blurred, grainy and
soundless video recorded by security cameras at Sucharski's home and the
testimony of a facial recognition expert that they said was unreliable.

The black-and-white video shows 2 individuals with their faces covered looking
for objects of value in the home.

At the end of the tape, 1 of the men uncovers his face and, despite the poor
quality of the image, the prosecution said at trial that the person was Ibar.

In an April 2014 hearing before the Supreme Court, defense attorney Benjamin
Waxman insisted that Ibar had an ineffective defense at his first trial due to
the "disastrous" representation he got from public defender Kayo Morgan.

"It's a time of great emotion for which we've been waiting a long time. The
road is opening for Ibar to finally be able to prove his innocence," Andres
Krakenberger, the spokesman for the Association Against the Death Penalty for
Pablo Ibar, told EFE.

The man convicted in 2000 along with Ibar, Seth Pe???alver, received a new
trial in 2012 and was acquitted on all charges.

(source: Fox News)

*****************

Cop killer Dontae Morris seeks to overturn death sentence

The convicted killer of 2 Tampa police officers wants his death sentence
reduced to life as a result of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that struck down
Florida's death penalty sentencing law.

Dontae Morris, 30, is on death row at Florida State Prison in Starke, where he
is also serving a life term for a 3rd Tampa murder.

He was sentenced to death for killing Tampa police officers David Curtis and
Jeffrey Kocab in 2010. He shot both officers in the head at close range as he
was being taken into custody during a traffic stop.

Morris is among the first of dozens of convicted felons seeking to have their
death sentences overturned by the Supreme Court because a judge, and not a
Hillsborough County jury, made the critical findings of fact in his case. That
system, used for decades, was held to be unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme
Court in the case of Hurst vs. Florida.

"In this case, this death sentence has to be vacated," Morris' attorney,
Cynthia Dodge, told the Supreme Court in oral arguments Wednesday. Dodge asked
the court to lift Morris' death sentence three days after the Hurst decision.

The justices could uphold Morris' death sentence, reduce his sentence to life
or order a new trial.

Another death row inmate, Michael King of Sarasota, made similar arguments
Thursday. King was convicted of the abduction, rape and murder of a North Port
mother of 2 children, Denise Lee, in 2009.

"Mr. King is entitled to an automatic life sentence," his lawyer argued in
papers filed with the court.

The state's high court is also keeping a watchful eye on the Legislature. The
Hurst case has forced legislators to rewrite state law to require juries to
make unanimous all findings of aggravating factors that must exist to justify a
death sentence.

But Senior Assistant Attorney General Carol Dittmar argued that Morris' appeal
should be rejected because the death penalty itself has not been held to be
unconstitutional by the Hurst case.

"It's very narrow. It's very easy to fix," Dittmar told justices.

The fix, she said, is a new special verdict form to be given to juries in
capital cases in which they find aggravating factors.

But Justice Barbara Pariente appeared openly skeptical of her argument.

"We put the jury front and center in the most critical decisions in this
criminal justice system," she said. "So to say it's just procedural, I think,
flies in the face of what our country has been about."

Morris is 1 of the 43 so-called pipeline cases whose direct appeals are coming
up for review by the Florida Supreme Court in the immediate aftermath of the
Hurst decision.

The state court on Tuesday granted an indefinite stay of execution to Michael
Lambrix, 55, a convicted double murderer who was scheduled to die Feb. 11.

The Supreme Court on Thursday also reversed the death sentence of Pablo Ibar,
who was sentenced to death for 3 notorious Broward County murders in what were
known as the Casey's Nickelodeon killings, named for a bar by that name owned
by one of the victims.

Ibar, 43, has maintained his innocence, presenting an alibi defense at trial.
His co-defendant, Seth Penalver, was acquitted at his retrial.

In a 5-2 decision, justices said Ibar's rights were violated as a result of a
poor representation by his defense lawyer, Kayo Morgan, and is entitled to a
new trial.

(source: Tampa Bay Times)

ARKANSAS:

Arkansas Lawyer Asks For Mulligan In Death Penalty Conviction

Arkansas' high court says a death row inmate isn't entitled to a new sentencing
hearing just because his lawyer may have delivered "one of the worst" closing
arguments of his career.

The Arkansas Supreme Court Thursday reversed a Benton County judge's order for
a new hearing and asked the lower court to reconsider the request with a more
objective test to determine if Brandon Lacy's lawyer performed adequately.

Lacy was sentenced to death after he was found guilty of capital murder and
aggravated robbery in the 2007 slaying of Randall Walker.

The Supreme Court's order also denied a separate appeal from Lacy. He said his
lawyer failed because he did not argue Lacy had a mental defect because of
alleged alcohol-fueled blackouts and memory lapses.

PBS revisits notorious Leopold and Loeb case in 'The Perfect Crime'

It was a time of unease for middle-aged Middle Americans. They were worried
about their sons and daughters - the weird music, the scanty clothing - and
also about the way the super-rich were getting away with everything.

The headlines told of the strange case of teenagers, convicted killers, who got
off easy through their lawyer's novel defense that the boys were victims of
affluent parents who hadn't taught them right from wrong.

Sounds like today, but it was actually 1924, when 2 19-year-olds, both from
wealthy Jewish families in Chicago, committed a horrendous crime but cheated
the hangman's noose thanks to a novel defense by their famous lawyer.

The trial of Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb, which riveted the nation and the
world, will be re-examined Feb. 9 when PBS airs "The Perfect Crime" as part of
its "American Experience" series.

Both Leopold and Loeb, raised by governesses in the lap of luxury, came to
visualize themselves as incarnations of German philosopher Friedrich
Nietzsche's Ubermensch - as supermen so brilliant and exceptional as to be
bound by neither law nor morality.

The 2 became lovers, with the handsome and charismatic Loeb as the dominant
partner. They initially tested their theory with petty crimes, but then, at 19,
went for the big time.

They decided to commit the perfect crime, one they believed would never be
traced to them, by picking up Bobby Franks - a 2nd cousin of Loeb - in their
car, first killing him with a chisel and pouring acid over his face and body to
obscure distinguishing marks, then stuffing the corpse into a culvert.

The "perfect," untraceable crime collapsed almost immediately. Franks' body was
discovered by a passerby, a pair of nearby glasses was traced to Leopold, and
the murderers' alibis quickly fell apart.

Both men confessed that they had committed the murder for the thrill of it,
while Leopold compared his deed to an entomologist dissecting an insect for
further study.

At the trial, the 2 defendants, elegantly dressed, were unrepentant, smiling
and smirking. A death penalty seemed inevitable. At one point in the process,
when the prosecution hinted that the defendants had sexually molested Franks
before killing him, the judge, John Caverly, ordered all female reporters to
leave the court room so as not to soil their delicate ears - even though the
word "moron" or "sex moron" was frequently substituted for "homosexual" at the
time.

Desperate, the parents of Leopold and Loeb hired Clarence Darrow, the country's
top criminal lawyer and an ardent opponent of the death penalty, to defend
their sons and, specifically, to spare them from hanging.

With world attention focused on the case, Darrow pleaded his clients guilty to
avoid a jury trial, thereby leaving the final verdict to the judge. He then
proceeded to offer a groundbreaking psychological defense, arguing that his
clients were not perpetrators but victims of stunted emotional growth, that
Leopold had been sexually abused by his governess, and, for the 1st time,
introducing Freudian concepts in an American trial.

Darrow called a string of psychiatrists (then called "alienists") to the
witness stand and 2,000 Chicagoans lined up hoping to hear Darrow's final 3-day
summation.

Surprisingly, in an era of rampant anti-Semitism fueled by the KKK and Henry
Ford, the defendants' Jewishness, accompanied by their arrogance, was rarely
mentioned in reports of the trial.

In a phone interview, Cathleen O'Connell, producer and director of the hourlong
documentary, said that she and her staff spent much time checking coverage of
the trial in the general and Jewish media and found hardly any allusions to the
defendants' ethnicity and religion.

However, she did come across one article in the Chicago Tribune quoting a
Jewish "spokesman" as observing that Loeb and Leopold's crime was due to their
neglect of Judaism, O'Connell said.

1 explanation may be that their victim, Franks, was Jewish himself, although
his parents had converted to Christian Science.

What made O'Connell's research most difficult, she said, was the absence of any
newsreel coverage of the trial, and the judge, believing the testimony would be
too salacious for the general public, aborted any radio broadcasts of the
trial.

O'Connell contrasted this lack of firsthand material to the extensive coverage
of the "Scopes Monkey Trial" 1 year later, in which Darrow defended a
schoolteacher accused of violating Tennessee law by teaching evolution to his
students. It was the 1st trial that allowed Americans to follow the proceedings
by radio.

The documentary fills much of the gap through extensive use of still photos and
by actors conveying the voices and personas of the main participants.

"The Perfect Crime" premieres at 9 p.m. Feb. 9 on KOCE, the PBS SoCal station.

(source: jewishjournal.com)