[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----FLORIDA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Feb 2 15:55:50 CST 2016

Feb. 2

FLORIDA----stay of impending execution

Florida Court Halts Feb. 11 Execution Of Cary Lambrix

The Florida Supreme Court on Tuesday issued an indefinite stay of execution for
Cary Michael Lambrix, who had been scheduled to die Feb. 11.

The order came hours after the court heard oral arguments that focused on the
impact of a U.S. Supreme Court decision earlier this month that struck down the
state's death-penalty sentencing system.

Original report: Oral arguments began Tuesday morning for Florida's 1st death
penalty case since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Florida's death penalty system
unconstitutional in mid-January.

Florida's Supreme Court justices heard arguments for whether they should grant
Cary Lambrix, a man scheduled to die Feb. 11, a stay of execution until it can
be determined how to apply the U.S. Supreme Court ruling. The judge's decision
is expected to arrive at any time before Feb. 11.

Lambrix's defense team, including attorney Martin J. McClain, quickly addressed
the issue of retroactivity, which is when a law or court decision affects
already existing rights.

In this case, it would determine whether the state would issue him a stay of
execution or life in prison in lieu of the death penalty on the basis on
Florida's unconstitutional death penalty system.

The U.S. Supreme Court found Florida's law flawed because it allows judges to
decide on death sentences and override a jury's recommendation.

Lambrix murdered 2 people - Clarence Moore and Aleisha Bryant - in 1983 near
LaBelle in Southwest Florida and was convicted on 2 counts of 1st-degree
murder. The jury recommended the death sentence by votes of 10-2, for Moore,
and 8-4, for Bryant.

McClain argued for the court to think of the U.S. Supreme Court case as
retroactive. He also argued for the court to delay the execution and grant
Lambrix a life imprisonment sentence on the ground of insufficient aggravating
circumstances.

Florida's "statute is different," McClain said. "Our statute says there has to
be sufficient aggravating circumstances. The purposes of aggravating
circumstances are too narrow to ensure that it's the worst of the worst."

Scott A. Browne, a prosecutor for Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi's office,
said the U.S. Supreme Court ruling does not apply retroactively and wants
Lambrix executed on Feb. 11.

The Supreme Court case "is not retroactive," he said. "It's procedural."

Florida Supreme Court Justice R. Fred Lewis questioned the validity of that
statement.

"But at the same time, there's got to be something to the law that is beyond
just technicalities," he said. "A man who is executed today, but one comes up
tomorrow that is not, there's really no difference in their cases."

"I'm struggling with word games," Lewis added. "I appreciate all those things,
I understand the differences, but doesn't there come a point in time where one
has to look at this and say, 'What are we doing?"'

William Hennis, another attorney for Lambrix, said he hoped the court issued a
stay of execution instead of a complete decision.

"That will allow us to go to state court, circuit court in Glades County," he
said.

Hennis said he'll head back to Starke, Florida, to see Lambrix and discuss the
case.

"Obviously, he'll be interested in hearing how the argument went," he said.
"We'll obviously wait for a decision from the Florida Supreme Court as to going
to the United States Supreme Court. I'm hoping that a stay will be entered."

Bondi hasn't yet issued a statement on the case.

(source: WUFT news)