Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Feb 1 16:28:34 CST 2016

Feb. 1

TURKEY:

Crime boss says death penalty should be revived for jailed journalist Dundar

Sedat Peker, a notorious figure convicted on charges of organized crime,
threatened jailed journalist Can Dundar with reviving the death penalty on
Monday after Dundar referred to him in one of his columns.

The Cumhuriyet daily's Dundar was arrested on Nov. 26, 2015, on charges of
espionage and revealing confidential documents after publishing a report with
photos of weapons it said were being transferred to Syria in trucks operated by
the National Intelligence Organization (MIT).

Dundar recently referred to Peker in 1 of his columns and wrote: "I wish we
were murderers. We are arrested just because we took a pen in our hands and
wrote, because we wrote news reports and they demand 2 lifetimes in jail (plus
30 years) for us. I was wondering [the kind of] people who are released pending
trial."

Releasing a statement on his website, Peker responded to Dundar by saying he
should be grateful to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. "If one of the millions
who think the way I do became the president, their 1st job would be to revive
the death penalty and the 2nd would be to hang you [everyone who had anything
to do with the MIT trucks]."

Peker also said that he can abide having his name linked with someone who is
involved in a criminal activity, but he cannot stand for it to be compared with
"traitors" like Dundar. Accusing Dundar of betraying national values, Peker
also accused media outlets of being unfair to him and said he would establish a
media group if he has to.

Peker drew strong criticism after threatening academics who signed a statement
calling for an end to the ongoing clashes in southeastern Turkey to "spill
their blood" and "bathe in it." Also in an anti-terrorism rally he organized on
Oct. 9 last year, he threatened those who criticized Erdogan and the Justice
and Development Party (AK Party) government by saying they will pay the price
for their critical stance.

Dundar wrote in his column that even after making those threats Peker was
released pending trial and argued that he himself is in jail just for doing his
job.

(source: todayszaman.com)

SAUDI ARABIA----execution

Saudi Arabia sentences man to death

Saudi authorities executed a Saudi national on Monday for the murder of a
compatriot, bringing the number of executions by capital punishment to 56 in
the kingdom this year.

Ahmed al-Harbi was found guilty of stabbing and shooting Fahed al-Balawi during
a quarrel, according to a statement by the interior ministry published by state
news agency SPA.

Harbi was executed in the northern city of Tabuk. Most executions in Saudi
Arabia are beheadings carried out by sword.

In 2015, Saudi Arabia ordered the execution of 153 people, the majority of
which were death penalty sentences given for drug trafficking or murder,
according to an AFP tally.

On a single day last month it put 47 people to death for "terrorism", including
influential Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr.

Amnesty International reports that the total number of executions in the
kingdom in 2015 was the highest for 2 decades.

Saudia Arabia enforces a strict Islamic legal code under which murder, drug
trafficking, armed robbery, rape and apostasy are all punishable by death.

(source: albawaba.com)