[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----CALIF., ORE., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Apr 26 12:46:03 CDT 2016

April 26

CALIFORNIA:

Trial delayed for man accused of killing Sierra LaMar

A trial has been delayed to next month for a man charged with kidnapping and
murdering 15-year-old Sierra LaMar nearly four years ago. Antolin
Garcia-Torres, now 25, is accused of killing Sierra, who was last seen on the
morning of March 16, 2012. She left her home in unincorporated Morgan Hill and
never showed up to her bus stop for school.

Garcia-Torres' trial was scheduled for today but Santa Clara County Superior
Court Judge Deborah Ryan continued the case to May 23 for his defense attorneys
to submit additional evidence for testing.

Garcia-Torres withdrew his waiver for a speedy trial within 60 days, his
defense attorneys said.

Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney David Boyd told the judge that
prosecutors were prepared to proceed with the trial during today's hearing at
the Hall of Justice in San Jose.

Sierra's Juicy-brand purse and clothes were found two days after she went
missing and her cellphone was later discovered in an agricultural area south of
San Jose.

Garcia-Torres was identified as a suspect in the death on May 21, 2012, after
Sierra's DNA was found in his red Volkswagen Jetta, prosecutors said.

The 25-year-old man, who remains in custody at Santa Clara County Main Jail in
San Jose, is facing the death penalty in the case.

A grand jury indicted Garcia-Torres in 2014 on charges for Sierra's
disappearance and death, in addition to kidnapping and carjacking charges
involving 3 women in Morgan Hill supermarket parking lots in 2009.

Sierra's body hasn't been found despite numerous organized search groups
through southern Santa Clara County.

Roger Nelson had helped coordinated the search efforts, which ended last year,
and was present during today's hearing.

Nelson, along with a handful of other supporters of the LaMar family, said
outside of court that they were bothered the trial was continued to a later
date, but look forward to justice being served.

Debbie Nunes, a search volunteer who lived down the street from Sierra's bus
stop, said after today's hearing that the community would like closure in the
case.

"The family deserves answers and it's been 4 years too long," Nunes said.

(source: ABC news)

OREGON:

Trial underway for man accused of killing inmate

The trial of a convicted murderer from Minnesota accused of killing his
cellmate at the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem in 2013 is underway at
Marion County Circuit Court following an indictment made in late 2015.

Craig Dennis Bjork, 56, was charged with aggravated murder after another
convicted murderer, Joseph Akins, 45, was discovered dead, strangled in their
shared cell in August 2013. If found guilty, Bjork could face the death
penalty.

In 1982, a Minnesota court convicted Bjork of killing his 2 young sons, his
girlfriend and a Minneapolis prostitute, according to the Associated Press. He
was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. At the time
of the killings, Bjork went by the name Craig Dennis Jackson.

It is not Bjork's 1st time standing trial for murder inside a correctional
facility.

In 1997, while serving his sentence at a Minnesota prison, Bjork beat another
inmate to death with a pipe. According to court records, Bjork told Minnesota
corrections department investigators the killing was "not personal." He said he
wanted to get prison officials' attention and punish them for moving him to a
different cell block. Bjork said he wanted to kill a staff member but instead
killed inmate Edwin Curry, 41, because he was nearby.

"There's a saying in the business world, location, location, location, huh,
location is everything," Bjork told investigators, according to court records.

The Associated Press reported that Bjork was transferred from Minnesota to an
Oregon prison in January 2013 as part of an interstate compact.

The compact allows prisoners to be sent to out-of-state facilities due to the
high-profile nature of their crimes, inmate safety or security issues,
according to Oregon Department of Corrections spokeswoman Betty Bernt. Oregon
has interstate compacts with 32 states.

Even though Bjork faces charges for a crime that allegedly took place in an
Oregon Department of Corrections facility, Bernt did not have information
available on Bjork. She referred any information requests on Bjork's
incarceration status to his home state of Minnesota.

No motive was provided for the slaying of Akins, and Bjork has not lodged a
plea with Marion County Circuit Court. Akins was convicted of murder in 2008
for the 1994 rape and killing of a woman in Multnomah County and was in the
midst of serving a 22-year, 6-month sentence.

According to the Associated Press, Bjork was immediately held in a segregation
after Akins was discovered dead in his cell at the Oregon State Penitentiary.

An autopsy found that he died of asphyxiation caused by strangulation, and the
death was ruled a homicide.

Bjork was arraigned on Dec. 17, 2015. His lawyers at the time motioned to
disqualify Marion County Circuit Court Judge Courtland Geyer from proceeding
over the trial, claiming Bjork would not receive a fair and impartial trial.
Judge David Leith was assigned to the trial.

Bjork later requested new representation. In an affidavit, he said his
attorneys has "serious ethical issues" and showed a complete disregard for his
wishes. Following the motion, he was appointed a new attorney.

According to court records, Bjork is housed at Snake River Correctional
Institution in Ontario, Oregon.

His next status check hearing is schedule for July 14 at 8:15 a.m. at the
Marion County Courthouse.

(source: The Statesman Journal)

**************

District attorney elections and Oregon's criminal justice status quo

Oregonians will soon be receiving their ballots for the May election, but there
is an incredibly important elected official that most voters will have no
influence selecting: our county district attorney (DA).

>From 2004-2014, 78 % of Oregon district attorney races were uncontested. In
other words, nearly 8 out of every 10 district attorney elections in Oregon
were over before they began.

When it comes to district attorney elections, our democracy has atrophied, and
the implications for our communities and state are huge.

We rely on elections to elevate public conversations around important issues.
But with such a high rate of uncontested DA races, Oregon voters aren't able to
weigh in with how we are feeling about the state of the criminal justice
system. Furthermore, we now have multiple generations of voters who have never
in their lifetimes had the opportunity to vote in a district attorney race that
mattered. Such a dynamic means most of the public has little understanding of
the role of DAs.

Arguably, district attorneys are the most powerful people in our criminal
justice system. They have the power to decide whether someone gets access to
drug treatment or goes to jail. DAs decide whether to keep a young person in
the juvenile justice system or push them into the adult system. DAs decide
whether to seek the death penalty, and DAs have the most influence on racial
disparity within our justice system.

There is an atmosphere of inevitability and permanency connected to incumbent
district attorneys in Oregon that has locked in the criminal justice status
quo, and it is time to shine light on another contributing factor to that
dynamic: gubernatorial appointments.

Nearly 1/2 of all the current DAs were initially appointed to their offices by
the governor at the time. Longtime district attorneys often retire early,
leaving it to the governor to select the interim DA. The appointment process
flies under the radar of the public and allows incumbent DAs to recommend their
successor to the governor. Once in office, a sitting district attorney is very
likely to be re-elected, so competition is scarce. In a healthy democracy, no
elected official should be guaranteed re-election.

Appointing interim district attorneys is one of the most important public
safety and justice-related roles our governor has. If Oregon is going to
successfully address core problems in our justice system, the governor needs to
use a framework that identifies and appoints people who are willing and able to
modernize and reform criminal justice policies and practices.

And there is ample evidence our current policies need reforming. In the past 20
years, Oregon's prison population has doubled and our prison budget has more
than quadrupled. Furthermore, Multnomah County just released research that
shows severe racial disparity throughout all parts of its criminal justice
system, including areas entirely within the DAs' power and discretion.

Sadly, these are issues we won't be talking about this election.

(source: Opinion; David Rogers is the executive director of the American Civil
Liberties Union of Oregon----oregonlive.com)

USA:

Answering the last gasps of Catholic support for the U.S. death penalty

In journeying around the United States to speak about our faith response to the
U.S. death penalty, I find the overwhelming majority of its supporters are not
supporting the actual death penalty that we have in this country. They are
instead supporting a myth, a death penalty that does not exist.

This fantasy death penalty kills neatly and quietly without horrendous botched
executions. It causes no harm to the innocent family of the condemned or to the
staff and officers who must kill as part of their job. The myth even promises
that families of murder victims will experience healing from watching the state
commit a legal homicide - the killing of the offender. This mythical death
penalty is not biased by race or wealth, only convicts the guilty, only
attaches to the worst of the worst, only costs a fraction of life imprisonment,
only ... only ... only it does not exist.

The facts of the real death penalty, the one we actually have, are not
ambiguous. It is horribly skewed based on race and wealth, the latter
translating to quality of legal representation at the initial trial. Meanwhile,
the cost for the massive government program called capital punishment is
mind-boggling. Getting a person to an execution costs many times more than the
cost of life in prison. Reasoned analysis indicates that most of the difference
in costs is spent on the state side for lawyers and their assistants. It is
called living off the pipeline.

According to national statistics, the average time from death sentence to
execution is between 15 and 20 years. In my state of Florida, where we have 400
people on death row, the average time from death sentence to execution for the
23 men executed from January 1, 2010 until now is 25.2 years. During all that
time, hundreds of state-employed lawyers and technical assistants have been
paid their salaries, benefits, vacations, and retirements from the pipeline of
death row cases. California has almost twice as many death row inmates as
Florida, almost twice as large a pipeline. The real death penalty is an
invisible industry, a work-relief program for state-employed lawyers. The myth
that it is cheaper to kill inmates than to keep them in prison is a lie.

And there is no accountability for results from such massive outlays of
taxpayer money. Since 1976, over 150 people have been released from U.S. death
rows for innocence. In my state of Florida, we have released 26 people from
death row for innocence over the same period of time that we have executed 92
people. Our exorbitantly expensive pipeline system has generated at least one
near-fatal mistake for every 3 1/2 actual executions without anyone being
sanctioned. A private sector operation with such an abysmal track record would
have long since been investigated and forced to shut down.

The truth regarding execution of the innocent is even more damning. Our 2 most
pro-death penalty U.S. Supreme Court Justices, Clarence Thomas and recently
deceased Antonin Scalia, both acknowledged in Kansas v. Marsh that because our
human criminal justice system makes mistakes, the only way to guarantee
innocent people will not be executed is to repeal the death penalty.[1] They
also said repeal must be done by state legislatures, not by the Supreme Court.

As a Catholic death row chaplain who has witnessed the execution of a man I
believe was innocent and a botched lethal injection, I confirm that our human
systems can and will make mistakes. That means when someone claims to support
the death penalty but not to support botched executions or the execution of the
innocent, they are supporting a fantasy that does not exist. The reality is
that if one supports executions, one supports execution of the innocent. We
cannot have one without the other. If one supports executions, one supports
botched executions. We cannot have one without the other.

In the face of such overwhelming realities about our U.S. death penalty, it is
no surprise that, once the fantasies have been stripped away, the only way to
motivate good people's support is false claims that God and the Catholic Church
support it. Such claims are thin indeed, but in my experience, those are the
basis of the last desperate attempts by Catholics to support the U.S. death
penalty.

Our Church has been absolutely clear. While capital punishment may not be on
the same moral plane of intrinsic evil with the conventional life issues -
abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, embryonic stem cell research - it is a
life issue nonetheless. It can only be morally justified when non-lethal means
are insufficient to protect society. So what can possibly be the claims that
advocate Church support?

The 1st claim I frequently hear is that we must execute murderers to protect
other prisoners; in other words, that incarceration protects free society from
murderers but does not protect those in the prisons. This claim is based on two
falsehoods. The first is the assumption that all the so-called worst of the
worst are being executed already. That simply is not true. In case after case,
people guilty of horrible murders, whether serial killers or otherwise, have
been sentenced to life in prison. They are already there with the other
inmates.

The other falsehood that supports this erroneous argument is the assumption
that the homicide rate inside prison fences is much higher than in free
society. That is also not true. According to the U.S. Department of Justice,
the homicide rate in state prisons was at 4 per 100,000 in 2002. There was a
higher homicide rate among the U.S. free society population (6 per 100,000)
than either in state prison (4 per 100,000) or in local jails (3 per
100,000).[2] The statistical evidence continues to support the truth that those
inside prison fences are less likely to face homicide than those of us in free
society. In other words, St. Pope John Paul II was right in saying that:

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for
effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense
incapable of doing harm ... the cases in which the execution of the offender is
an absolute necessity "are very rare, if not practically non-existent."[3]

The 2nd oft repeated claim is actually a denial of Church teaching. This
argument alleges that people - as opposed to actions - can be intrinsically
evil or beyond redemption. Under Catholic magisterial teaching, no human being
is intrinsically evil, and no act committed by a human being prevents that
person from susceptibility to redemption through the cross and resurrection of
Jesus Christ. One of the strongest faith-based arguments against executions is
that no one should shorten the time that God allows for a man or woman to find
salvation.

The 3rd such claim presented to me is terrorism. When speaking in Catholic
churches in Wisconsin during that state's attempt to reinstate the death
penalty after the horror of 9/11, I encountered the wishful thinking that
capital punishment could deter terrorism. Although Wisconsin had abolished the
death penalty in 1853, some state leaders argued it needed reinstatement to
ensure that a 9/11-type attack never happened there. In church after church, I
responded to this assertion with the question, "How does capital punishment
deter a suicide bomber?" Invariably, the questioner had never thought about
that. Part of our death penalty myth is that capital punishment can protect us
from people who are determined to harm us even at the cost of their own life.
Of course, it cannot.

A different kind of argument being voiced more frequently by my audiences is
one that is touted by some media Catholics. It claims that the teaching on the
death penalty in Evangelium Vitae and the Catholic Catechism is wrong, a
liberal aberration that cannot be supported by Tradition. The question from my
audience might be phrased: "Hasn't the Church supported the death penalty for
at least 1700 years? Where did this new teaching come from?"

The best answer to that question was actually given by Pope Benedict XVI in
1997 when, as Cardinal Ratzinger, head of the Vatican Congregation for the
Doctrine of the Faith, he answered, referring to the Encyclical, Evangelium
Vitae - The Gospel of Life:

'The pope has made important doctrinal progress' in the encyclical's discussion
of capital punishment. 'What is written in the catechism will be
reformulated.'[4]

Then Cardinal Ratzinger also noted that Catholic teaching develops by building
on past affirmations rather than by overturning them. So, we might ask, how
does the death penalty language in Evangelium Vitae and the Catechism build
upon past affirmations rather than overturning them? The answer is that,
throughout our history and Tradition on this issue, the Church has consistently
looked at 2 sides of a formula: the role of government in preserving the common
good, on the one hand, and the role of faith in dealing with forgiveness,
rehabilitation and the human dignity of the offender's life, on the other hand.

For example, in the Roman Catechism of the Council of Trent (St. Pope Pius V -
1566)[5], the chapter concerning murder, the Fifth Commandment says:

Another kind of lawful slaying belongs to civil authorities, to whom is
entrusted power of life and death, by the legal and judicious exercise of which
they punish the guilty and protect the innocent. The just use of this power,
far from involving the crime of murder, is an act of paramount obedience to
this Commandment which prohibits murder. The end of the Commandment is the
preservation and security of human life. [Emphasis mine.]

This is an explicit statement of the purpose for recognizing government's power
to inflict capital punishment: the preservation and security of human life. The
new language from Evangelium Vitae and our Catechism does not overturn this.
But that is only one side of the equation. We also want to look at how the
Roman Catechism of the Council of Trent (1566) dealt with the other part of the
equation, namely with forgiveness, rehabilitation and the human dignity of the
offender's life. In this regard we see that later in the very same chapter of
that Roman Catechism of the Council of Trent (1566) dealing with murder, it
says the following:

But the most important duty of all, and that which is the fullest expression of
charity, and to which we should most habituate ourselves, is to pardon and
forgive from the heart the injuries which we may have received from others. The
Sacred Scriptures, as we have already observed, frequently admonish and exhort
us to a full compliance with this duty. Not only do they pronounce blessed
those who do this, but they also declare that God grants pardon to those who
really fulfil this duty, while He refuses pardon to those who neglect it or
refuse to obey it.

Moreover, in the very next grammatical paragraph of this chapter of the Roman
Catechism of the Council of Trent (1566) dealing with murder, it instructs
pastors as follows:

As the desire of revenge is almost natural to man, it becomes necessary for the
pastor to exert his utmost diligence not only to instruct, but also earnestly
to persuade the faithful, that a Christian should forgive and forget injuries;
and as this is a duty frequently inculcated by sacred writers, he should
consult them on the subject in order to be able to subdue the pertinacity of
those whose minds are obstinately bent on revenge, and he should have ready the
forcible and appropriate arguments which those Fathers piously employed.

Potent words, especially given the context of the brutal anti-Catholic
realities of the Reformation being waged against the Church at the time this
was written. But this 2-sided approach is consistent with Tradition. All the
way back to St. Augustine, we see the effort to struggle with both sides of the
formula. He recognized the need for capital punishment in the 5th century, but
warned against vengeance, saying "our desire is rather that justice be
satisfied without the taking of their lives or the maiming of their bodies in
any part..."[6]

Even 1200 years later, in the 13th century, we see the struggle with both sides
of the formula. St. Thomas Aquinas defended the death penalty as a means of
protecting the whole body of society, relating the state's role in execution to
that of a physician who "cut(s) off a decayed limb" in order to "care for the
health of the whole body." However, he also proposed as a working norm that "in
this life, penalties should be remedial rather than retributive."[7]

In addition to Aquinas looking at both sides of the formula, the metaphor of
the diseased limb is extremely poignant. In the 13th century it may have been
necessary to amputate a diseased limb in order to save a person's life from a
gangrenous infection. But assume that in our day and age the very same
infection can be cured with antibiotics. Who would argue that Tradition
requires us to amputate the limb rather than use antibiotics because that is
what was done in the time of Aquinas?

Contrary to the abilities of penal systems in the 5th and 13th centuries, St.
Pope John Paul II has pointed out in Evangelium Vitae, as incorporated into the
Catechism, that we can use modern penology to protect the whole body of society
today, and the cases warranting the death penalty now are "very rare if not
practically nonexistant."

Thus, the language in the Catechism and in Evangelium Vitae continues our
history and Tradition by addressing both sides of the formula: the role of
government in preserving the common good and the role of faith in dealing with
forgiveness, rehabilitation and the human dignity of the offender's life.

This 2-pronged formula may be more difficult than the simple binary yes-or-no
of the intrinsic evil analysis to which Catholics grew accustomed from 50 years
in the pro-life trenches. But difficult is not the same as wrong. The teaching
on the death penalty from Evangelium Vitae, as incorporated in the Catechism,
is correct. As then Cardinal Ratzinger said, this Catholic teaching on the
death penalty has been built on past affirmations rather than by overturning
them.

[1] Kansas v. Marsh, 548 U.S. ___ (2006).

[2] "State Prison Homicide Rates Down 93 %: Jail Suicide Rates 64 % Lower Than
in Early 1980s," Bureau of Justice Statistics, Aug. 21, 2005).

[3] [Punishment] ought not go to the extreme of executing the offender except
in cases of absolute necessity: in other words, when it would not be possible
otherwise to defend society. Today however, as a result of steady improvements
in the organization of the penal system, such cases are very rare, if not
practically non-existent.

John Paul II, The Gospel of Life (Evangelium Vitae), 1995; incorporated into
#2267 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

[4] Origins (1997). [5] Catechism of the Council of Trent for Parish Priests
Issued by Order of Pope Pius V (1566) (Rockford, IL: TAN, 1982), 426-427.

[6] St. Augustine, Epistle133, No. 1.

[7] St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, 2a2aae, 66.6.

(source: Catholic Mobilizing Network)