[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----S. DAK., COLO., ARIZ., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Oct 25 11:23:56 CDT 2015

Oct. 25

SOUTH DAKOTA:

Legislature will reconsider the death penalty

No question has been more difficult to deal with in my 13 years as a state
lawmaker than whether capital punishment suits South Dakota.

We've had powerful discussions over the last several years. Heart-wrenching
debates. And very tough votes to cast once the rolls were called.

Civility and respect for opposing views have never been sacrificed, and
partisan politics has had little or no role in Pierre. Ardent opposition to the
death penalty has come from 2 former Republican attorneys general and from 2
retired judges who now serve in the Legislature. Some members of my Democratic
party, meanwhile, have supported the death penalty. Everyone has been focused
on conscience, good policy and their own life experiences.

Such decorum makes me proud to be a South Dakota legislator, even though the
outcome hasn't yet been what I think would be best for our state.

The discussion goes on. At least 3 forums have been planned for Aberdeen, Sioux
Falls and Rapid City this fall. The 1st was in Rapid City on Oct. 17, as part
of an all-day meeting of the Rapid City Catholic Diocese social justice
commission in the Terra Sancta Retreat Center. I applaud Bishop Robert Gruss
and everyone who was involved.

I hope that opponents and proponents of the death penalty - plus that quiet
majority of South Dakotans who are questioning the right path - will look for
opportunities like these to learn more about the issue.

Americans have wrestled with the death penalty for decades, but especially
since it was reinstated by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1976. Changes are coming
fast.

Legislators in our neighboring state of Nebraska outlawed capital punishment
earlier this year. That decision has been referred to the voters, and the
debate could dominate their 2016 election cycle.

Pope Francis takes a special interest in the issue, and as always his argument
is very down-to-earth. "When the death penalty is applied, it is not for a
current act of aggression, but rather for an act committed in the past," says
the Pope. "It is also applied to persons whose current ability to cause harm is
not current, as it has been neutralized - they are already deprived of their
liberty." He argues that opposition to the death penalty is a basic pro-life
position.

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer argued this month that the death
penalty violates the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution, which prohibits
"cruel and unusual punishment." Breyer hopes the high court will re-examine the
issue soon. Possibly it will arise in the context of whether death is an
appropriate sentence for those with a serious mental illnesses.

Pharmaceutical companies no longer want their drugs used as part of a prison's
lethal injection "cocktail," consequently states that still have capital
punishment are finding it more difficult to administer. 3,000 men and women are
on death row, but only 35 executions were conducted in 2014.

The average cost of prosecuting and administering a death penalty case
nationwide is more than $1 million. In South Dakota, we've executed 3 men since
capital punishment was reinstated by the Supreme Court. Our state prosecutors
and courts have used the death penalty sparingly. And our executions haven't
been as expensive as in other states, partly because all of the last 3 killed
eventually dropped their appeals. Their executions were basically assisted
suicides by the state. However, only 10 % of convicted murderers drop their
appeals nationwide so our "volunteer" rate is likely to drop.

South Dakota is one of 31 states with the death penalty, but 7 states have
abolished the practice since 2006. There's no evidence that capital punishment
acts as a deterrent. In fact, homicide rates in states without the death
penalty are lower than the national average.

The United States was 1 of just 22 countries that performed executions in 2013,
according to a study by Amnesty International, ranking 6th in total executions
behind China, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and North Korea. We're not in good
company.

Certainly, the trend in today's civilized world is to end capital punishment.
The issue will face us again in January in the state Legislature. Other issues
are easier to think about but nothing strikes more to the soul of our great
state.

(source: Bernie Hunhoff is a state senator from Yankton. A Democrat, he
sponsored a bipartisan death penalty repeal bill in the 2014 session----Rapid
City Journal)

COLORADO:

Has the death penalty worn out its welcome?

James Holmes. Dexter Lewis.

If there were ever cases to make for the death penalty, few would argue these
were it.

Holmes is the orange-haired killer who walked into an Aurora movie theater July
20, 2012, and opened fire. When the dust settled, 12 people were dead, more
than 70 were injured and an entire nation was left in shock.

Lewis stabbed 5 people to death in a Denver bar.

Both received life in prison.

We here on the Tribune Editorial Board don't have a unanimous stance on the
death penalty. Some are for it, some against. Others are planted firmly on the
fence.

What we all agree on, however, is the possibility the death penalty simply may
not make sense anymore. The cost may just be too high.

First is the monetary expense of the trial. With the death penalty on the
table, the equivalent of two trials take place. First comes the trial
determining guilt, followed by the decision of sentencing the defendant to
death.

Of course, we understand we're using our 20/20 hindsight here, but had Holmes
or Lewis been allowed to make a deal, the trials would have ended in exactly
the same spot - with either going to jail for the rest of their lives. But now,
in the Holmes case more than 3 years and countless dollars later, both are
going to jail for the rest of their lives.

And that's just the monetary aspect.

Check out our story on Page A1 of today's paper. Greeley's Tamara Brady works
for the Colorado Public Defenders Office. 3 days after the tragic shooting at
the Aurora theater, Brady was in court defending Holmes.

Brady spent the next 3 years of her life primarily in Aurora. She rented an
apartment there once the trial started, only coming home on occasional
weekends. She left her husband and teenage daughter behind in Greeley.

During those 3 years, Brady's daughter graduated from high school. Tragically,
Brady also lost her father. Needless to say, she wasn't able to be around
nearly as much as she would have liked for these major milestones in her and
her family's life.

Brady wasn't alone. Brady was a member of a 5-person team defending Holmes. All
of them made sacrifices.

The cost doesn't end with money and time, either.

The emotional toll the trial took on the families of the victims, the
prosecutors, the defenders, the judge - really everyone involved in the trial -
is immeasurable. Even the public had to deal with a roller coaster of emotions
as the trial dragged on.

We haven't even touched on the aspect of mental health - which is what many of
us believe is at the heart of the issue. Anyone who walks into a theater and
opens fire - anyone who stabs 5 people in a bar - anyone who walks into a
school intent on killing people - isn't in their right mind.

So how can we, in our right mind, put them to death?

In the cases of Holmes and Lewis, we couldn't.

So we, like Brady, would much rather see money spent on cleaning up the mess
that is our mental health system than throwing away money on trials that will
rarely - if ever - end in a ruling to put someone to death.

(source: The Greeley (Colo.) Tribune Editorial Board)

ARIZONA:

Rector's attorneys file 2 more motions

The attorneys in a Bullhead City death penalty case have filed more motions and
counter-motions.

Justin James Rector, 27, is charged with 1st-degree murder, kidnapping, child
abuse and abandonment of a dead body. He is accused of killing Isabella
Grogan-Cannella, 8, on Sept. 2, 2014, and leaving her body buried in a shallow
grave near her Lakeside Drive home.

Rector's attorneys, Gerald Gavin and Ron Gilleo, filed 2 more motions last
week, including one to ask the judge to record his reasoning for overruling any
objections raised by the defense attorneys during the trial.

The 2nd motion would ask the judge to excuse any juror who cannot consider
mitigation evidence during the penalty phase of the trial. Gavin asks the judge
to excuse the juror if that person automatically votes for the death penalty
after the mitigation hearing if Rector is convicted of murder.

Deputy Mohave County Attorney Greg McPhillips also responded Friday to 3 other
defense motions. The prosecutor asked the judge to deny Gavin's motion calling
for the judge to clarify that prosecutors will not be present DNA testing and
evidence at Rector's trial. McPhillips argued that filing the motion is a waste
of the judge's time and Gavin should contact the prosecutor directly.

McPhillips also agreed to set a hearing that would require the prosecution to
show probable cause to support allegations of aggravating factors or dismiss
the allegations. An aggravating factor could be that the crime was cruel,
heinous and depraved or the victim was under the age of 15.

The prosecutor also asked the judge to deny Gavin's motion for a jury
questionnaire. McPhillips said he is not ready to discuss a jury questionnaire
until a mental health exam of Rector is conducted.

Superior Court Judge Lee Jantzen has denied most of Gavin's previous defense
motions. Gavin and Gilleo have filed about 5 dozen motions on behalf of Rector
since they took the case in March.

Rector's next status hearing is set for Dec. 9.

Rector's 10-week murder trial is set to begin Oct. 17, 2016, with a pre-trial
hearing set for Aug. 23, 2016.

(source: Mohave Daily News)

*******************

Buying execution drugs overseas raises doubts

The death penalty debate is a smelly swamp no one wants to wade through.

What gives a human the right to sentence another human to death? But, then,
what right did a human have to murder another?

If you follow the "an eye for an eye" tenet, you agree with passing the
sentence of death onto a killer. I don't feel qualified to do that, but if
someone killed my child, I'm guessing I'd probably volunteer to do the job
myself.

So, as I said, it's quite the quagmire. I'm not writing here to debate it.

What brought it to my mind was the report this week that the Food and Drug
Administration impounded orders of a drug used in lethal injections.

Arizona paid nearly $27,000 for the sodium thiopental, but federal agents took
custody of it when it arrived via British Airways at the Phoenix airport in
July, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press. A shipment for
Texas was also seized this year.

Courts have concluded that sodium thiopental for the injection in humans is an
unapproved drug and may not be imported into the country," FDA spokesman Jeff
Ventura said in a statement.

According to the AP story, "The shortage of execution chemicals has become more
acute over the past few years. Ever since European companies started refusing
to sell them to the U.S. death penalty states have been scrambling to secure
supplies."

The shortage has led to Ohio halting executions until 2017 and Nebraska to get
into federal trouble for trying to buy the chemicals in India. Utah reinstated
their firing squad and Tennessee revived the electric chair. It seems we are
regressing in the effort to "humanely" execute prisoners.

Arizona has actually put executions on hold since the death in July 2014 of
Joseph Wood. It took Wood 90 minutes to die and there is an ongoing lawsuit
because of that. The state has 118 death row inmates.

According to the AP, the state also announced Friday that it is adding another
drug combination and will make executions more transparent for media and
attorneys.

If Arizona is adding another drug combination due to the shortage, why are they
purchasing foreign execution chemicals? States have no business buying drugs in
foreign countries to start with.

I would think that could lead to more lawsuits. There are no controls on
foreign compounds and no way of knowing if what you buy is what you asked for.
What happens if an inmate is given a cocktail on execution day and something
worse than taking 90 minutes to die happens?

Without getting into the moral implications of executions to start with, I'm
for keeping them on hold until the drug issue is solved or changed, not
trolling the back alleys of India like some shady dealer.

(source: Robin Layton, editor, The (Prescott, Ariz.) Daily Courier)

USA:

Evangelicals Discover Moral Ambiguity on the Death Penalty----A new focus on
systemic institutional problems reflects the changing demographics of the
faithful.

Earlier this week, the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) - the
umbrella group founded in 1942 to give conservative white-evangelical
Protestants an amplified voice - voted to soften its longstanding position
supporting capital punishment. In the first amendment to its stance since 1973,
the new resolution officially recognizes the evolution of evangelical thought
into 2 distinct streams, each "citing strong biblical and theological reasons
either for the just character of the death penalty in extreme cases or for the
sacredness of all life, including the lives of those who perpetrate serious
crimes and yet have the potential for repentance and reformation."

On the face of it, this shift from unequivocal support for capital punishment
to recognition of multiple views seems somewhat inconsequential. But the NAE
resolution provides a window into deeper and more significant changes within
American evangelicalism.

The move appears especially modest when seen up against white-evangelical
Protestant public opinion on the issue: Nearly 6 in 10 white-evangelical
Protestants support the death penalty for those convicted of murder, compared
to only about 1/3 who say they prefer life in prison with no chance of parole.

Compared to other religious groups in the country, white-evangelical
Protestants top the chart in support for the death penalty. By contrast, black
and Hispanic Protestants - groups that each overwhelmingly identify as
born-again or evangelical - anchor the bottom of the chart. Only about 1/4 of
black Protestants and Hispanic Protestants favor the death penalty for those
convicted of murder, compared to more than 2/3 of black and Hispanic
Protestants who prefer life in prison with no chance of parole.

The NAE resolution is notable, however, for explicitly mentioning "racial
disparities." The inclusion of these 2 words - even if they go by fairly
quickly among a list of other problems - marks something genuinely new and
significant.

The NAE's willingness to talk about racial disparities in capital sentencing
comes as it slowly strengthens its ties with black and Latino evangelical
leaders. For example, the NAE board's 12-member executive committee includes
Reverend Samuel Rodriguez, president of the National Hispanic Christian
Leadership Conference, and Reverend Jack Jenkins, pastor of First Baptist
Church of Glenarden, a predominantly African American megachurch outside of
Washington, D.C. Rodriguez penned a 2014 op-ed in Time calling on his fellow
evangelicals to rethink their position on capital punishment following the
botched execution of Clayton Lockett in Oklahoma.

These increasing ties have been driven by moral conviction, but they are also
dictated by demographic realities. Since 1998, white-evangelical Protestants
have fallen slightly as a proportion of the population, from 22 % in 1998 to 18
percent in 2014. Black Protestants have largely remained steady, comprising 10
% of the population in 1998 and 9 % in 2014. But Hispanic Protestants have
shown remarkable growth in the 21st century, moving from only 1 % of the
population in 2000 to 4 % in 2014.

Calculating this a bit differently - looking at all self-identified evangelical
or born-again Christians by race over time - confirms the pattern. According to
the General Social Survey (GSS), in 1998, 72 % of self-identified evangelicals
were white, while 24 % were black, and 4 % were some other race. In 2014, the
white proportion of evangelicals had fallen 8 % points to 64 %. Meanwhile, the
black proportion of evangelicals remained steady at 25 %, Hispanics accounted
for 8 %, and other races accounted for 2 %.

The demographic data unequivocally point to an evangelical future that is less
white, comparably African American, and more Hispanic. As whites are becoming
less dominant in the American evangelical family, organizations like the NAE
have begun to adjust to the new reality by becoming more inclusive in their
leadership and membership. The recent NAE statement on capital punishment
signals at least 2 ways in which these nascent connections may already be
having a deeper impact on white evangelical moral theology and worldview.

First, in addition to its explicit citation of "racial disparities," the NAE
resolution also references a number of "systemic problems in the United States"
that challenge the just implementation of capital punishment. Particularly on
issues connected to race and racism, the moral imaginations of white
evangelicals have been somewhat limited by a theological toolkit that
emphasizes individual sin and responsibility, the importance of right personal
relationships, and a resistance to explanations that appeal to structural
factors. Evangelicals have tended to see racism as a problem of disordered
personal relationships rather than disordered institutions and laws, and they
often dismiss out of hand sociological or structural explanations of social
problems. But the new NAE resolution has departed from this pattern; in its
closing statement, it even connects the issue of capital punishment directly to
the broader issue of criminal-justice reform, calling for the elimination of
"racial and socio-economic inequities in law enforcement, prosecution and
sentencing of defendants."

Equally striking is the organization's embrace of the moral legitimacy of
dissenting views on a complex issue. One of the biggest concerns many white
evangelicals harbor about contemporary society is a rise in theological and
ethical relativism. Evangelical policy statements are, more often than not,
justified by arguments with a high degree of - if not absolute - moral
certainty. The NAE's relatively brief 1972 statement on capital punishment
simply asserts a logical connection between the value of human life (of the
victim) and the justification for capital punishment:

>From the biblical perspective, if capital punishment is eliminated, the value
of human life is reduced and the respect for life is correspondingly eroded.
The National Association of Evangelicals believes that the ultimate penalty of
capital punishment should be retained for premeditated capital crimes.

The most recent resolution, however, respectfully and fairly describes in
detail the theological arguments for those who both favor and oppose capital
punishment, concluding, "We affirm the conscientious commitment of both streams
of Christian ethical thought." This admission of the legitimacy of sincere
theological and moral disagreement on a difficult issue is a marked departure
from the assertions of moral certainty that have traditionally set the tone of
past evangelical policy pronouncements.

In the process of making this modest shift on capital punishment, the NAE has
done something far more significant. It has added two new tools to the
evangelical cultural toolkit: a lens for perceiving systemic injustice and a
greater tolerance for sincere moral disagreement. As Americans wrestle with
broader issues of race and discrimination that have been brought to the fore by
the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and as they move into the contentious
presidential campaign season, it remains to be seen whether evangelical leaders
and evangelicals in the pews will learn to use them.

(source: The Atlantic)

********************

In Defense of the Death Penalty

As discussed in my last piece, a year full of death penalty cases follows
Justice Breyer's warning at the end of last term that the death penalty may, in
all circumstances, be unconstitutional. I thought I'd do something
unconventional this time and present arguments on both sides of the death
penalty issue in this post and a corresponding one. I hope that they are evenly
enough presented that no one can discern my true views, which have been in flux
lately. Here, I argue that the death penalty is constitutionally permissible
and that if they want to, states may choose to have the death penalty.

The Fifth Amendment begins with "No person shall be held to answer for a
capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of
a Grand Jury ..." It is hard to see how this does not immediately end the
debate. The Fifth Amendment gives a command regarding the proper procedure for
carrying out a capital prosecution. How, then, could this document forbid
capital punishment? As if that were not clear enough, the Fifth Amendment later
says that no person shall "be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without
due process of law." Likewise, in the corresponding command that the Fourteenth
Amendment issues to the states (in contrast to the Fifth Amendment, which
originally applied only to the federal government), it says, "nor shall any
state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of
law." The inference to be drawn here should be obvious to anyone who is awake:
if due process is provided, life may be taken. It is no less constitutional to
execute someone after a fair trial than it is to imprison him.

The Fifth Amendment (in 2 places) and the Fourteenth Amendment specifically
mention capital punishment or deprivation of life at the hands of the state.
How the Constitution can be thought to ban a punishment it simultaneously
explicitly contemplates and supplies procedural guidelines for is a mystery to
me. Nevertheless, a number of arguments for this proposition have been put
forward, so I move to address them now, noting that the burden of proof on the
death penalty's challengers ought to be exceptionally high since they are
trying to show that one part of the Constitution implicitly forbids that which
another explicitly endorses.

The 1st abolitionist argument is that the death penalty is disproportionately
used against black defendants in violation of the Equal Protection Clause of
the Fourteenth Amendment. The evidence for this proposition is mixed. It
depends on whether one compares the percentage of death row inmates who are
black to the percentage of black people in the population at large (in which
case, black people are overrepresented on death row) or to the percentage of
convicted murderers who are black (in which case, black people are not
overrepresented on death row). While the 1st comparison makes for fruitful
policy discussions about the root of societal ills and institutional racism,
only the 2nd comparison is permissible in terms of constitutional analysis.
After being convicted of murder, are black defendants more likely to get the
death penalty than white ones? The answer is no, and this is sufficient for the
analysis under the Fourteenth Amendment. If a law were unconstitutional because
a higher percentage of black people are imprisoned for violating it than is
their share of the population, nearly every law on the books would be
unconstitutional. Nearly all laws end up having a racially discriminatory
effect. This observation implicates many societal ills, including poverty, lack
of educational opportunity, over-policing of minority communities, and others.
Empowering unelected, unaccountable, mostly elite and wealthy judges to "solve"
these problems by declaring all laws with discriminatory impact
unconstitutional would be disastrous. But that is exactly what those who would
ban the death penalty on Equal Protection Clause grounds would do.

It remains true that if racial bias infects any particular capital case, the
death sentence must be vacated under the Constitution and a new trial must be
ordered. This does not render the death penalty itself unconstitutional.
Moreover, a general discriminatory effect is insufficient to prove the death
penalty unconstitutional (McClesky v. Kemp).

A 2nd argument is that capital punishment constitutes cruel and unusual
punishment and is therefore illegal under the Eighth Amendment. This argument
is simply silly. The Eighth Amendment says "... nor cruel and unusual
punishments be inflicted." A punishment must be both cruel and unusual to run
afoul of the Eighth Amendment. Assume for the sake of argument that the death
penalty is "cruel" under this standard. It is certainly not unusual. The United
States executes a few dozen people every year. The 4 most populous countries in
the world - China, India, the United States, and Indonesia - all retain the
death penalty. From those 4 countries alone, it can be deduced that nearly 1/2
of the world's population live in a country that permits the death penalty.
After considering countries aside from those 4, one realizes that well over 1/2
the world's people live in death penalty countries. It is certainly not
unusual, which means it is consistent with the Eighth Amendment.

A 3rd abolitionist argument is that juries' inconsistency in giving death
sentences renders the death penalty unconstitutional. The argument points to
statistics such as "85% of American counties have not had an execution in 40
years" and "4 of Texas's 254 counties account for 50% of Texas's executions" to
demonstrate supposed jury inconsistency. Only capital murder statutes could be
suggested to be unconstitutional because they are invoked more in 1 county than
another. Imagine such a suggestion about drug statutes or white-collar crime
statutes. Moreover, there is nothing unconstitutional about jury discretion,
even if it leads to inconsistency. Serving on juries is a political right akin
to voting (see, e.g., Strauder v. West Virginia), and there should be nothing
surprising or jarring about the fact that some counties (perhaps the more
crime-ridden ones) have citizens who impose the death penalty more often than
other counties. The discretion of the jury as it embodies community values is
the whole point of a "jury of one's peers." It would be constitutionally
suspicious if every jury did act the same way. In any case, the nonexistent
(and actually counter-constitutional) requirement of jury consistency cannot
override the Constitution's explicit contemplation of the death penalty in the
Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments.

Otherwise, abolitionist arguments against the death penalty generally fall into
the same category: they find a single line of case law from the Supreme Court
and try to distort it to bear the enormous weight of dooming the death penalty.
For example, they may take the Ring v. Arizona requirement that a jury, not a
judge, impose the death penalty, couple it with the Furman v. Georgia statement
that the death penalty cannot be wantonly or inconsistently imposed, and
conclude that since juries are inconsistent (see above), the death penalty is
unconstitutional. To the extent that such arguments don't already misread the
case law by taking minor phrases in long opinions out of context, they are
still unpersuasive. The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution specifies that the
"Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in
pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the
Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land." The
Constitution is supreme; the Supreme Court's case law is not. The justices take
an oath to uphold the Constitution; they take no oath to the case law. When the
Supreme Court misreads the Constitution to place a particular restriction on
the death penalty, that misreading cannot then beget a larger misreading: the
death penalty's nullification. Recent jurisprudence may trend in the
abolitionist direction, but when the case law and the Constitution conflict,
the Constitution must take precedence, as is articulated in the Supremacy
Clause. The text of the Constitution clearly permits capital punishment.

"Death is different" jurisprudence has been attractive to many for a long time.
It holds that because the punishment of death is unique, different
constitutional rules apply to capital punishment. This is true insofar as the
Constitution occasionally specifies different rules, such as the grand jury
requirement in the Fifth Amendment for capital or otherwise infamous crimes.
Otherwise, death is not constitutionally different. Invoking "death is
different" as a rationale for invalidating death penalty laws on racial
equality grounds while leaving intact every other law with an equally
discriminatory effect is shoddy and inconsistent legal reasoning designed to
cover up the "coincidence" (read: "fraud") that the Constitution that other
people wrote 225 years ago happens to forbid all the things you would like it
to and permit all the things you would like it to, almost as if you are writing
the law yourself as you go along. That is because those who believe that the
Constitution forbids the death penalty are, in fact, writing the law
themselves.

(source: Robbie Flatow, thepolitic.org)