[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Oct 23 12:20:22 CDT 2015

Oct. 23

USA:

Obama says death penalty 'deeply troubling'

Amid new scrutiny of American capital punishment practices, President Barack
Obama said in an interview released Friday he was disturbed by the practical
effects of the death penalty.

While Obama said he wasn't opposed "in theory" to killing criminals convicted
of heinous crimes, he said that data showing racial biases and wrongful
convictions have prompted him to wonder whether the death penalty remains a
legitimate tool.

Obama was speaking to former New York Times editor Bill Keller, who now runs
The Marshall Project, a news organization focused on criminal justice issues.

"There are certain crimes that are so beyond the pale that I understand
society's need to express its outrage," he said. "So I have not traditionally
been opposed to the death penalty in theory. But in practice it's deeply
troubling."

Saying he's "struggled for quite some time" over the death penalty, Obama also
said recent botched executions have led him to wonder whether the application
of capital punishment is still legal.

"We know that in the application of the death penalty we've had recent cases,
by any standard, it has not been swift and painless but rather gruesome and
clumsy," he said.

In the aftermath of one of those executions gone wrong -- an Oklahoma incident
that left an accused murderer writhing and convulsing for several minutes --
Obama asked the Justice Department to conduct a review of death penalty
practices.

Since then, several states have suspended executions, either for legal reasons
or because drug companies have stopped supplying the drugs needed for lethal
injections.

This week, conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said "it wouldn't
surprise me" if the high court strikes down capital punishment in the United
States, he told CBS News, though he's made similar predictions in the past.

But the case to abolish U.S. executions has gained greater traction in recent
months, including an opinion from liberal Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer,
who questioned the constitutionality of capital punishment in an opinion this
summer.

"This is not what people expected when they wrote the cases upholding the death
penalty more than 40 years ago, and therefore I think it's time to revisit the
issue," Breyer told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in an interview this fall.

(source: CNN)