[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, GA., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Oct 5 16:24:14 CDT 2015

Oct. 5

TEXAS----impending execution

Texas Set To Execute Inmate Who Murdered A Man Over $8----Juan Garcia is
scheduled to die by lethal injection on Tuesday for fatally shooting a man
during a 1998 robbery in which he stole $8.

Texas is set to execute Juan Martin Garcia on October 6 for the 1998 murder of
Hugo Solano during a robbery.

Garcia, 35, is sentenced to die for fatally shooting Solano, a Mexican
missionary in Houston, during a robbery where then 18-year-old Garcia stole $8.

Garcia had 3 other accomplices, 2 of whom are serving sentences related to the
robbery and 1 was paroled after serving 14 years of a 30-year sentence.

Garcia's lawyers have unsuccessfully appealed to the courts that Garcia
suffered from ineffective counsel during his trial and is intellectually
disabled making him ineligible for the death penalty. In March, the Supreme
Court also refused to intervene in the case.

Garcia has appealed to the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles to grant him
clemency. He has no outstanding appeals, his lawyer told the Houston Chronicle.

Garcia's lawyers have argued that he had an "extremely poor school record"
according to his friends and family. His mother had testified that he was a
slow learner enrolled in special education classes. He also had "significant
limitations in his adaptive functioning," which he exhibited before committing
the crime, according to his lawyers.

However the courts have denied his appeals stating there was no evidence, such
as school records and IQ test scores, to prove his intellectual disability.

His lawyers also argued that Garcia's trial counsel had failed to show that he
suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a result of his
"tortured childhood" at the hands of an abusive stepfather.

Garcia would become the 11th inmate executed in Texas this year, the most of
any state.

While several states have faced a shortage in the supply of lethal injection
drugs, Texas has been consistently able to procure pentobarbital which it uses
in its 1-drug execution protocol. The state is making its own execution drugs
and supplied it to Virginia for the execution of serial killer Alfredo Prieto
on Oct. 1, the Virginia Department of Corrections confirmed.

Garcia, who started committing crimes at the age of 12, was involved in several
aggravated robberies by the time he was 18. He engaged in a crime spree with
his accomplices before and after the murder of Solano.

On Sept. 17, 1998, Garcia and his 3 accomplices approached Solano, 36, who was
walking to his van in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Garcia demanded
money from Solano and then fatally shot him 3 times in head as he sat in his
car. He took $8 in cash from the victim.

Garcia was arrested 11 days later when he was found with the murder weapon
while being pulled over in a traffic stop. He confessed to the crime after his
arrest.

In a 2010 post titled "Letters to a Future Death Row Inmate" featured on the