Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Oct 1 15:07:16 CDT 2015

Oct. 1

SOMALILAND:

Somaliland's British-educated president urged to save mentally-ill man from
death row----Faisa Ali, from west London, says court ignored evidence of her
brother's long history of psychosis

The sister of a mentally-ill man who faces execution by firing squad in
Somaliland has pleaded with the country's British-educated leader to issue him
a presidential pardon.

Faisa Ali's brother Abdullah, who has a history of psychosis, has been
sentenced to death by the country's supreme court for shooting dead of his
friends during an argument.

With appeals through the legal system now exhausted, his sister, who lives in
west London, is now appealing for an intervention by Ahmed Mohamed Mohamoud,
the country's president.

Mr Mohamoud spent part of his early life in Britain and has a degree from
Manchester University.

She has also appealed help from Grant Shapps, the current Minister of State at
Britain's Department for International Development, who visited Somaliland this
summer, and whose department is bankrolling a 20 million pounds national
development fund for Somaliland.

"The court have made their final decision, so my only chance now is to appeal
to the president, who I know has a long history with Britain and a good
relationship with the British government," Ms Ali, 27, told The Telegraph on
Thursday. "I am asking him to act to show mercy before it is too late."

Mr Ali's family say that the court ignored medical evidence that he had a long
history of mental illness, including 2 years spent in a psychiatric hospital in
the Somaliland capital, Hargiesa. He was discharged last year, only for his
problems to get worse, leading to an argument with an old friend that led to a
weapon being grabbed and his friend being shot dead. Guns are often held in
civilian hands in Somaliland.

After being kept in prison for a year, Mr Ali was sentenced to death by firing
squad last month.

Ms Ali, a dental nurse, added that the family of the victim had turned down an
offer of blood money that could have led her brother being spared his life.

"I feel very sorry for them and I sympathise with their loss," she said. "But
my brother is mentally ill and does not deserve to die, and the court should
recognise that. To be honest, if it was any other way, and he had simply killed
this man in a normal fight, I would not be going to these lengths on his
behalf."

The family's case has been backed by the pressure group Human Rights Watch,
while the European Union has raised concerns about the wider use of the death
penalty in Somaliland, which executed six prisoners by firing squad last April
after 9 years in which no executions were carried out. The EU described it as
"a step back in the progress made in spreading the rule of law in Somaliland".

Somaliland is a semi-independent region in the north-west of Somalia, which has
enjoyed relative peace and stability in the last 20 years compared to the rest
of the country. It seeks to become fully independent.

Mr Ali's sister added that irrespective of the outcome of her brother's case,
she planned to start a campaign to advocate for mentally ill people in
Somaliland. "There is nobody there to look out for their interests," she said.

(source: BBC news)

EGYPT:

2 death sentences against militant Habara upheld in same week

Cairo Criminal Court handed down the 3rd death sentence to Adel Habara on
Thursday for his role in killing 25 Egyptian soldiers in Rafah, North Sinai in
August 2013.

The court will uphold or commute the sentence on Nov. 14 after consulting the
Grand Mufti for an unbinding religious opinion. A total of 34 other defendants
in the case were given the same penalty.

A court had ruled the same punishment for Habara in December 2014, but the
Cassation Court accepted a retrial request from the defendant.

Similarly, Habara received another death sentence from Zagazig Criminal Court
Tuesday in a retrial for contacting the Islamic State group (IS.) He had been
given the same sentence in the 1st trial in May.

Habara was sentenced to 7 years in prison over 5 separate sentences through his
trials for insulting his judges.

In his Thursday hearing, Habara and the other defendants did not chant or make
any reactions, unlike their behavior in previous session, according to Youm7.

(source: The Cairo Post)

ETHIOPIA:

How Ethiopia has cracked down on people smugglers

Metema, in Ethiopia's north-west, was once a people smuggler's paradise.

It was from here that Haimanot, aged just 16, gathered all her belongings,
borrowed 3,000 Ethiopian birr ($140) and crossed the border into Sudan in
search of a better life.

She travelled at first on foot under cover of darkness and with the help of an
Ethiopian smuggler, who had promised to take her first to Sudan's capital
Khartoum, then on to Libya.

"I was not in school and I could not find a job here in Ethiopia, so I decided
to make the journey to Europe to try and make something out of myself," she
tells me.

But she never made it out of Sudan.

After running out of money in Khartoum she did odd jobs for a year, trying to
raise enough money to pay another group of smugglers to take her northwards.

Things went from bad to worse and she was arrested by Sudanese police and spent
weeks in prison.

"It was the scariest period of my entire life. I was arrested by police and
they fired shots at me when I tried to escape.

"I was then arrested and beaten up by some 15 police officers," she says, three
months after returning home.

Migrant magnet

Haimanot's story is not unique in Metema, where nearly everyone we spoke to
knew of friends, relatives or neighbours who had crossed the border in the hope
of a better life in Europe.

Many Eritreans - one of the largest groups of migrants reaching Europe - would
also pass through the town.

Now as Europe grapples with an influx of migrants, Ethiopia's government has
intensified a crackdown on the smugglers it blames for luring thousands abroad.

"This was and is still a big problem in Metema," says the town's mayor, Teshome
Agmas.

"Smugglers are luring the young and old and then dumping them in the deserts or
even killing them if they can't afford the money required to complete the
journey.

"We had to do something and that is why we joined the government crackdown."

The government says it has arrested more than 200 smugglers operating along its
700km (435-mile) border with Sudan this year and has begun a massive awareness
programme to inform the public about the dangers of making such perilous
journeys.

It was spurred into action after 30 Ethiopian Christian migrants were killed in
Libya by Islamic State militants in April.

Ethiopians were shocked by the killings after the Libyan branch of IS released
videos of the men being beheaded and another group being shot.

More than 100 traffickers have been arrested in Metema, which also attracts
migrants from neighbouring South Sudan and Somalia.

At one point more than 250 people were crossing the border into Sudan through
Metema each day.

But after the police intensified patrols, smugglers were forced to seek
alternative routes into Sudan, through heavily forested and mountainous areas.

"We are telling the smugglers that we are coming for them if they do not stop,"
the mayor said.

Death penalty proposal

The Ethiopian government has also proposed harsher punishments for people
smugglers.

The justice ministry has presented parliament with a bill that could see
convicted smugglers facing the death penalty.

It has also embarked on a massive awareness campaign to dissuade the young
people from making that perilous journey across the deserts and the
Mediterranean.

The government has already banned Ethiopians from going to Middle East to work
as domestic workers in 2013 because of the abuse some have suffered there.

Officials believe it is having an impact on some.

26-year-old Alemtsehay Gebreselassie, who runs a cafe in a village next to
Metema, said that after listening to some of the warnings, she decided to stay
put.

"I watched videos and TV programmes that show the dangers of illegal migration
- and the house maids splashed with boiling water and thrown out from buildings
[in the Middle East]," she said.

"I don't want to make such an attempt. I am much happier here despite life
being tough."

But many Ethiopians are still living in extreme poverty in towns like Metema,
and some I spoke to - who did not want to be named because of the crackdown -
are still prepared to risk everything for a better life elsewhere.

(source: BBC news)