[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----VA., GA., OKLA., IDAHO, USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Nov 19 15:11:36 CST 2015

Nov. 19

VIRGINIA:

Open-Government Advocates Wary Of Virginia Supreme Court Decison

Members of the Virginia Supreme Court ruled in September on a case about
availability of documents and information about the death penalty. Advocates
for open government fear that ruling will have broad consequences that reach
far beyond the death penalty.

A Virginia Supreme Court decision that preserves secrecy around death penalty
policies is prompting new concerns about open government that go far beyond
what happens in the state's death chamber. The debate took center stage this
week as members of the Virginia Freedom of Information Council met to chart a
legislative strategy for the upcoming General Assembly session.

At issue is a September ruling in a lawsuit filed by Scott Surovell (D-44), a
member of the Virginia House of Delegates. He filed a Freedom of Information
Act request for policies, procedures, training manuals and details of
executions. That request was denied, and the appeals process carried the issue
to the state Supreme Court, which ruled against Surovell.

"If anyone is to blame for a broad interpretation of the Supreme Court opinion,
it is the plaintiffs in this particular case." - Brian Moran, state secretary
of Public Safety and Homeland Security

The justices issued a broad ruling in Department of Corrections v. Scott
Surovell that allows state agencies to withhold entire documents instead of
redacting parts of them. It also says courts must give "substantial weight" to
determinations made by government agencies about which documents they want to
keep secret and which ones they want to reveal.

Did Surovell pick the right avenue for his fight? To some observers, it's an
open question.

"It is surprising, frankly, that the plaintiffs in this case would choose the
death chamber to challenge FOIA law," says Brian Moran, secretary of Public
Safety and Homeland Security in Virginia. "And so if anyone is to blame for a
broad interpretation of the Supreme Court opinion, it is the plaintiffs in this
particular case."

Surovell, who was recently elected to the state Senate for 2016, disagrees.

"Actually I think the death penalty is the perfect place to start out with
transparency," he says."The only place where I know that people are executed in
secret under a shroud of secrecy in closed rooms are in places like North
Korea, the Soviet Union or in China. That's just not how we do business in this
country."

Virginia legal expert Rich Kelsey says the state Supreme Court decision is
consistent with a body of federal and state law that gives government agencies
discretion. Nevertheless, he says, the decision should indeed raise concerns
for open-government advocates.

"This type of decision will have a chilling effect. Will it be dramatic? We
don't know," he says. "But it will certainly result in fewer documents rather
than more documents being released."

The Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council - a state-run agency that
helps resolve FOIA disputes - hopes to have legislation ready for the upcoming
session, which starts in January.

Council members directed their staff to draft a bill reversing the court ruling
allowing agencies to conceal entire documents that contain sensitive
information. Instead, they would have to release them, even if portions are
redacted.

Surovell says he also wants to reverse what he considers a dangerous precedent
- that courts must give special consideration to a state agency's determination
about what information it wants to keep secret.

"That's really scary," said Surovell. "To me, that's like saying you have to
trust the fox that's guarding the henhouse. That's nonsense."

(source: WAMU news)

*****************

Incoming, outgoing Jesse Matthew prosecutors prepare for transition

The Albemarle County prosecutor who secured murder indictments against Jesse
Matthew in the deaths of two Virginia college students has detailed the cases
to the former federal prosecutor who beat her on Election Day.

Denise Lunsford tells WTOP she and Robert Tracci, who staged a bitter battle
during Lunsford's bid for re-election, have sat down to discuss the specifics
of the commonwealth's cases against Matthew in the deaths of University of
Virginia student Hannah Graham and Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.

"Law enforcement officers and I have met with Mr. Tracci regarding the Matthew
case," Lunsford said in an email. "He was briefed on many particulars of the
circumstances of the offense and investigation, however the matter is quite
involved and he will have a great deal of work to do to become familiar with
everything."

Tracci will take office Jan. 1, 2016.

Matthew is charged with capital murder in the 2014 death of Graham, and 1st
degree murder in the 2009 death of Harrington. He could face the death penalty
in the Graham case, which is scheduled to begin July 5, 2016. The Harrington
case is scheduled to start Oct. 24, 2016.

Lunsford, who was a defense attorney for 17 years before being elected to the
role of commonwealth's attorney in 2008, had been critical of Tracci's lack of
experience in trying state crimes, including murder.

>From 2008 to 2012, Tracci served as a federal prosecutor in Charlottesville, in
cases involving crimes against children, computer crimes, corruption and murder
for hire. He has acknowledged he hasn't been lead prosecutor in any felony
cases.

Tracci has said he will attach the same level of priority to the Matthew case
as he does others, and will ensure justice is done on behalf of the community.

His spokesperson has declined several requests to make Tracci available for an
interview on the Matthew case, which is one of the most high-profile matters in
the Charlottesville area???s history.

Tracci has not indicated whether he personally plans to prosecute the Matthew
cases, or will assign the trials to subordinates.

Most legal experts talked to by WTOP, including those who have tried or
defended murder cases, don't expect the transition of prosecutorial power to
substantially affect Matthew's trial or punishment.

Typically, in cases where prosecutors change after a case has been charged,
prosecutors and their assistants, as well as police agencies involved, sit down
and discuss the timeline, as well as potential witnesses, as well as forensic
evidence that has been gathered.

Tracci, like Lunsford and all prosecutors in office, will be limited in what he
can discuss about ongoing cases.

In the months after Matthew's indictments, Lunsford has said she would seek the
death penalty, if Matthew goes on trial for the Graham murder, but she was open
to the possibility of plea agreement.

According to Internet searches, it does not appear Tracci has discussed whether
he would be open to a plea, or whether he intends to seek the death penalty.

(source: WTOP news)

GEORGIA----impending execution

Georgia Supreme Court denies stay for condemned killer Marcus Ray
Johnson----Johnson is scheduled to be executed at 7 p.m. today

The Supreme Court of Georgia has denied a stay of execution for Marcus Ray
Johnson, who is scheduled to be put to death at 7 p.m. by lethal injection at
the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson. The decision was
unanimous.

Johnson, 50, was sentenced to death in Dougherty County for the 1994 murder of
Angela Sizemore, whom he met in an Albany bar hours before her death.

In addition to denying Johnson's motion for a stay of execution, the state
Supreme Court today denied his request to appeal a ruling made Wednesday by the
Butts County Superior Court. The Superior Court both denied his motion for a
stay and dismissed his claims, including his claim that new evidence shows the
eyewitness testimony was unreliable and the State failed to disprove that
someone else could have committed the crime.

Johnson's attorney, Brian Kammer, fin response to the lower court denials,
Kammer filed with the Georgia Supreme Court an application for Certificate of
Probable Cause to Appeal, challenging the constitutionality of Johnson's
convictions and sentence of death.

In a preface to the application, Kammer placed in quotes: "It would be an
atrocious violation of our Constitution and the Principles upon which it is
based to execute an innocent person."

Johnson was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Angela Sizemore
near a west Albany bar named Fundamentals in the early hours of March 24, 1994.
The bar owner and its security officer, who both knew Johnson, testified they
had earlier seen Johnson and Sizemore kissing and behaving amorously.

Evidence at trial indicated that Johnson and Sizemore left Fundamentals
together and authorities say they were seen walking toward 16th Avenue. Around
8 a.m. on March 24, 1994, a man walking his dog found Sizemore's white Suburban
parked behind an apartment complex in East Albany, her body lying across the
front passenger seat. Later reports showed she'd been cut and stabbed 41 times
with a small, dull knife.

Kammer has maintained Johnson's innocence, stating that no incriminating DNA or
fingerprints were found in Sizemore's SUV, that there was only a "drop" of
Sizemore's blood found on Johnson's leather jacket, and none was found on the
alleged murder weapon. Johnson has admitted having consensual sex with
Sizemore, then punching her in the nose and drawing blood because she later
insisted on "snuggling."

Johnson told police that the last time he saw the victim she was sitting in a
field and crying.

Deputy Attorney General Beth Burton wrote on Tuesday in response to a filing by
Johnson's attorney that the condemned Johnson "has been repeatedly given
avenues and opportunities to attempt to present evidence to support his claim
(of innocence). He has repeatedly failed. The miscarriage of justice in this
case would be if the victim's 26-year-old daughter, who was 5 at the time of
her mother's murder, is not allowed closure in this case."

According to the Tribune News Service, Johnson, 50, requested a 6-pack of beer
with his last meal on Wednesday, but was denied the alcohol by prison
officials. With beer out of the question, Johnson settled for the same dinner
other death row inmates will have.

If the execution is carried out, Johnson will be the 4th person put to death
this year in Georgia.

(source: Albany Herald)

*********

Marcus Ray Johnson Set to be Executed in Georgia

The state of Georgia is scheduled to execute Marcus Ray Johnson this evening.
Johnson was convicted of a 1994 rape and murder and sentenced to death. He has
maintained his innocence since his conviction in 1994.

Johnson's attorney asked the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles to commute
Johnson's death sentence or delay his execution for 90 days to allow for
additional DNA testing that could exonerate his client. The board denied the
request last night, clearing the way for his execution.

"The U.S. capital punishment system is costly and broken, and the death penalty
itself is cruel and inhuman" said Steven W. Hawkins, executive director of
Amnesty International USA. "It risks taking the lives of the wrongly convicted
and wastes resources without deterring crime. It's time to end the death
penalty once and for all."

Amnesty International USA opposes the death penalty in all cases without
exception as the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment. As of today,
140 countries have abolished the death penalty in law or practice. The U.S. was
one of only nine countries in the world that carried out executions each year
between 2009 and 2013.

(source: Amnesty International USA)

OKLAHOMA:

More Oklahomans Oppose Death Penalty If Given Alternative

An exclusive News 9/News On 6 poll shows more Oklahomans support the abolition
of the death penalty, but on the condition that an alternative is offered.

In the poll, we asked Oklahomans if they would support or oppose the abolition
of the death penalty in Oklahoma, if those typically given the death penalty
were given life without any possibility of parole and ordered to pay mandatory
restitution to the victims' families for the rest of their life.

According to the poll, 52 % said they support the abolition of death penalty,
while 34 % said they oppose it. And 14 % said they have no opinion on this
issue.

"A lot of people are in support of the death penalty right now, because they
were never given an alternative," said Bill Shapard, founder of SoonerPoll.com.
"Right now the death penalty is really the only alternative to those who have
committed some of the worst crimes in our society. But yet, now we are given an
alternative, people are open to that."

(source: 9news.com)

IDAHO:

Idaho's death row now down to 9, after Stuart's sentence reduced to life

Idaho's death row is down to 9 offenders, 1 woman and 8 men, now that Gene
Francis Stuart has had his sentence reduced to life in prison without the
possibility of parole. Stuart pleaded guilty to murder by torture in the 1981
beating death of 3-year-old Robert Miller, the son of Stuart's then girlfriend,
and was sentenced to death, but after appeals, was granted a new sentencing
hearing in 2013. The Lewiston Tribune reports he's now agreed to a plea bargain
in which he will never be released from prison and he gives up all rights to
appeal.

Those remaining on Idaho's death row are Azad Abdullah, sentenced to death in
2004 for the murder by arson of his wife, Angie; David Card, sentenced to death
in 1989 for the shooting deaths of 2 people in Canyon County; Thomas Creech,
sentenced to death in 1983 for the beating death of another inmate while
serving a life sentence for 2 other murders; Timothy Dunlap, sentenced to death
in 1992 for killing a woman during a bank robbery in Caribou County; Zane
Fields, sentenced to death in 1991 for a murder by stabbing in Ada County;
James Hairston, sentenced to death in 1996 for shooting 2 people to death in
Bannock County; Erick Hall, sentenced to death in 2004 for raping and murdering
2 women in Ada County; Gerald Pizzuto, sentenced to death in 1986 for beating 2
people to death in Idaho County; and Robin Row, sentenced to death in 1993 for
the murders by arson of her husband, son and daughter in Ada County.

Idaho has carried out 3 executions since the state's death penalty was
reinstated in 1977: Keith Wells in 1994, who waived his appeals and asked that
his execution be carried out; Paul Ezra Rhoades in 2011; and Richard Leavitt in
2012.

2 former Idaho death row inmates were released: Charles Fain was exonerated and
released in 2001, after serving 18 years; and Donald Paradis moved off death
row in 1996 after his sentence was commuted amid questions about his original
conviction; he was released in 2001 after pleading guilty to being an accessory
to murder.

Idaho's death row inmates are kept in their cells 23 hours a day. They have the
option of being in an outside recreation area for 1 hour a day. The only other
time they are out of their 12-foot by seven-foot cells is when they are
escorted to the shower, meeting with an attorney or being given medical care

(source: Spokesman-Review)

USA:

Salinas men charged in gang-related slayings

2 Salinas men who could face the death penalty for a dozen gang-related
slayings were arraigned in federal court Wednesday. A 3rd defendant is charged
with conspiracy and bank robbery.

Victor Skates, 26, Antonio Cruz, 28, and Anthony Lek, 28, entered not-guilty
pleas at the arraignment. Skates, Cruz and several others are also charged with
numerous attempted murders and bank robberies.

The crimes were committed in 2009-2011 in Salinas, Watsonville, San Jose and
Santa Maria. The 73-count indictment was unsealed Monday. 6 other defendants
are awaiting arraignment, which prosecutors said will likely take place in
December.

Federal prosecutor Stephen Meyer said, "This is an important case for Salinas.
It is our hope that this has an impact" on the violence. He said the Northern
District U.S. Attorney's Office has not yet decided if prosecutors will pursue
the death penalty, but the indictments indicate several defendants are eligible
for capital punishment.

8 of the 9 defendants are alleged Salinas-based Norteno gang members. The ninth
defendant is an alleged associate of the gang. Prosecutors seek to prove this
is a racketeer-influenced and corrupt organization, or RICO, case in which
crimes were committed for the purpose of "gaining entrance to, maintaining or
increasing personal position in the Salinas Nortenos enterprise."

Salinas Police Chief Kelly McMillin said, "I was glad to see that the case was
taken as a conspiracy case, because that's clearly what this was. It's
important to spotlight the violence in Salinas."

All 12 slayings took place in Salinas. The bank robberies the defendants are
accused of occurred at a Bank of America and Golden 1 Credit Union in Salinas;
Bank of the West in San Jose; Wells Fargo Bank, Rabobank and Bay Federal Credit
Union in Watsonville; and Chase Bank in Santa Maria. They are also accused of
robbing a Zales jewelry store in Gilroy.

The 64-page indictment was part of Operation Daybreak, a 4-year-long
investigation by the Salinas Police Department with the help of the FBI. The
operation was named for the time of day that many of the murders occurred,
police said. According to McMillin, "One of the hallmarks of this series of
murders was that several occurred in the early morning before school started,
and some of the victims were high school students."

The indictment alleges that Salinas resident Skates and other Norteno gang
members "hunted for rival gang members and other enemies, and shot and killed
them and others suspected of being rival gang members."

Prosecutor Meyer said Skates participated in nine of the homicides. Skates
alone is charged with killing 15-year-old Alisal High School student Jose
Daniel Cisneros as the boy entered campus the morning of Oct. 1, 2010.
Witnesses reported seeing an assailant walk past them before he shot Cisneros
multiple times in the torso.

The boy died later at a trauma center.

Skates, along with Daniel Chavez, 33, is charged with the November 2012 murder
of Jose Vasquez, 32, who was sitting in a wheelchair at the time he was shot.
Most of the defendants were already in custody for other crimes at the time
that the indictment was issued. Defendants Chavez, Skates, Eduardo Lebron, 36,
Eder Torres, 29, Julian Ruiz, 26, Antonio Cruz, 28, Terrell Golden, 24, and
Anthony Lek, 28, are currently detained in various state prisons and local
jails with no option of bail.

Chavez, Skates, Golden, Cruz, Torres and Lebron face the possibility of the
federal death penalty. The maximum sentence for the other defendants is life
imprisonment.

The next appearance is set for Feb. 3 in the San Jose courtroom of federal
Judge Lucy Koh.

(source: Santa Cruz Sentinel)