Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Nov 11 10:37:12 CST 2015

Nov. 11

SAUDI ARABIA:

Death Penalty Disproportionately Used against Foreigners in Saudi Arabia:
Rights Group

Saudi Arabia has used death penalty disproportionately against foreign
nationals, mostly migrant workers from developing countries, Amnesty
International said in a new report.

Of the 63 people executed this year for drug-related charges, 45 were
foreigners. The total number of foreigners executed so far this year is 71.

"Foreign nationals, mostly migrant workers from developing countries, are
particularly vulnerable as they typically lack knowledge of Arabic and are
denied adequate translation during their trials," the report by the Amnesty
International said on Monday.

The UK-based human rights group also slammed the surge in Saudi Arabia's
executions, which it said is at a 20-years high. Saudi Arabia has executed at
least 151 people this year, the most since 1995 and far above the annual figure
in recent years which rarely exceeded 90, Amnesty International said.

Defenders of the Saudi death penalty say beheadings, usually with a single
sword stroke, are at least as humane as lethal injections used in the United
States. They deplore any comparison between its executions of convicted
criminals and ISIL killings of hostages.

Shiite Muslims are also specifically targeted by political executions in the
country, Amnesty added, and also slammed the kingdom for executing people under
the age of 18, Reuters reported.

UN human rights experts have called on the Saudi government to stop the
execution of minors, pointing to the case of Ali Mohammed Nimr, who was
convicted for protesting when he was a teenager, a statement from the UN Office
of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) issued in September said.

(source: Tasnim News)

NIGERIA:

Corruption: Customs boss advocates death penalty

The Comptroller-General of Nigeria Custom Service, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd) has
advocated a death sentence for any Custom officer found to have indulged in
stealing public fund or any corrupt practices.

Ali while addressing officers and men of the service in continuation of his
tour of formation under Kano/Jigawa Command said that though the law does not
permit such stiff penalty, but that if he had his way, corrupt officers who
steal government money, "should be shot."

In his words, "many of us are in the service not because we want to serve but
because of what we can make out of it. Anybody that goes contrary to the laws
will be showed the way out. There will be no room for indiscipline in the
system, you must be disciplined and that is why we are called para-military. If
you are not disciplined, forget it because we stand on discipline.

"Henceforth, the laws are very clear, Section 47 is there and we shall apply
that section without fear or favour and that is 10-year jail term and that is
the maximum punishment. My prayer is that nobody should give me the room to
apply that punishment. We are the gateway of the country and if you are corrupt
that is the reflection and perception you are sending to the outside world
about Nigeria," he stated.

The Customs boss also warned officers over connivance with smugglers,
particularly those manning the borders, pointing out that it was wrong for them
to compromise and allow trailers bringing in contra-band goods, arms,
ammunitions and other dangerous items into the country unchecked.

According to him, most of the trailers left unchecked at the borders might be
carrying arms and ammunition used by insurgents, kidnappers, cattle rustlers
and other criminal elements to disturb the peace of the country.

Ali also spoke to the officers on the need to uphold discipline, integrity,
honesty and transparency, pointing out that gone were the days when the Service
is seen as indiscipline and corrupt organization, adding that, "the
administration of President Muhammadu Buhari believes in the mantra of change;
and if you don't change, we will change you."

He also noted that the Customs management team is currently reviewing promotion
exercise carried out without due process, adding that those who benefitted from
abnormal promotion should be ready to face demotion.

He said within 10 months, the Service generated N747 billion and urged them to
ensure that the Service will be able to generate over N200 billion before the
end of the year so as to meet the Federal Government's target of N944 billion,
"and if we work harder by blocking the leakages, we can meet the N1.2 trillion
target set by the Customs management."

Ali also charged men and officers of the Service to maintain cordial
relationship with their host communities, and urged them to make themselves
advocates of anti-smuggling.

(source: thenationonlineng.net)

AUSTRALIA:

'Bali 9' Ringleader Named GQ Artist Of The Year, 7 Months After His Execution

Convicted drug smuggler Myuran Sukumaran has been posthumously named GQ Artist
of the Year, seven months after his execution in Indonesia.

Sukumaran was sentenced to death for his involvement in the Bali 9 drug
trafficking ring -- of which he and Andrew Chan were deemed the ring-leaders.
Both were executed by firing squad in April.

Prior to his death, Sukumaran developed a love and undisputed talent for art,
creating a large body of work during his imprisonment, including many
self-portraits.

The annual GQ magazine Men of the Year Awards honoured Sukumaran by announcing
him Artist of the Year at a ceremony held at Merivale's ivy Ballroom in Sydney
on Tuesday night.

Archibald Prize winner Ben Quilty, who considered Sukumaran his friend and
protege, was one of many who took to Twitter to voice his thoughts on the
posthumous honour.

(source: Huffington Post Australia)