Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Nov 9 15:29:56 CST 2015

Nov. 9

BAHAMAS:

DNA: A Tragic National Milestone

With less than 2 months left in the year, the Bahamas has surpassed the highest
number of murders ever recorded in our nation's history. As the country marks
this tragic milestone we are reminded of the hundreds of young men and women
whose lives were abruptly ended as a result of violent crime.

Over the course of this year, media reports have detailed the many instances of
violent crime; newspapers have recounted the stories of fathers snatched away
from their sons and mothers from their daughters. So far this year, we have
learned that none of us are safe from the ever increasing levels of crime and
criminality facing our nation. All of us, be we preacher, politician, child, or
senior citizen, cannot escape the impact of crime. Whether we ourselves have
fallen victim to the criminal element or have had family members taken from us
as a result, one truth is certain: we are all in this together. Crime is
everybody's business and everyone must play their respective roles in
eradicating it.

As the saying goes it takes a village to raise a child, unfortunately our
collective village has not done enough to raise an entire generation of young
Bahamians. Our village, including parents, teachers, church leaders and mentors
have an important role to play in teaching our children fundamental life
lessons such as discipline, respect and conflict resolution. For failures in
that regard we must all accept a modicum of responsibility.

Perhaps the most important role of all however, belongs to the government. I
have long said that it is the chief responsibility of any government to keep
its citizens safe. On that front, this Christie led government has failed us.
Even after claiming to have the answers this Christie administration has failed
to carry out the laws on the books with respect to capital punishment; failed
to effectively address the inefficiencies within the judiciary; failed to
balance the need for rehabilitative and punitive elements of our justice system
and FAILED to stamp out criminality and corruption within their own party and
governmental structures.

A DNA Government WILL NOT FAIL YOU. As the next government we commit to rooting
out the systemic corruption which has all but crippled our still developing
nation. We commit to sweating the small stuff. Full scale enforcement of all
our countries laws, even the smallest infractions will send a message that we
are SERIOUS about ensuring that the Rule of Law is followed at all cost. No man
or woman, regardless of the socio-economic or political position should be
allowed to flout the country's laws without consequence.

A DNA government will ensure that laws are in place so that the Privy Council
is duty bound to carry out the death penalty. A DNA government will implement
the necessary victim resources to help families HEAL and the necessary
rehabilitative resources to reduce recidivism.

The DNA's 1st and foremost duty will be to protect its citizens.

Branville McCartney

DNA Leader

(source: The Bahamas Weekly)

BANGLADESH:

Done to death -- Violence begets violence, and we already have an excess of it

Let us now rejoice at the sentencing of Rajon's infamous killers, who have been
handed down the death penalty for torturing the boy on camera. The convicts
were Kamrul, Moina, Tajuddin, and Zakir. Zakir, so far, is in hiding. They were
also slapped with a fine of Tk10,000 each.

Let us now also rejoice at the awarding of the death penalty to Rakib???s
killers: Sharif and Mintu. These blokes were owners of a certain Sharif Motors,
with Mintu being Sharif's uncle. Beauty Begum, Sharif's mother, who had held
him back while Sharif and Mintu tortured him and, eventually, brought about his
death, was acquitted. Woe is us.

Word of mouth and the Internet reek of pleasure. Justice has been served, they
say; these inhumane humans will receive, finally, what's coming to them. The
Hand of God, via these uncapitalised hands of ours, will strike them down with
Divine Justice.

I see words of jubilant celebration echoed in the intonations of my friends,
colleagues, acquaintances. The death knell rings for these insipid souls; their
impending death is merely a fraction of the pain and suffering they had wielded
at their hands, against children no less, against minors who had done little to
deserve to be at the end of such unwarranted violence.

Yay.

Indeed. In this narrative of subjectivity, one finds it difficult to be
objective, to be rational, unbiased. But one can try. And if the "one" sounds
too inclusive, like too much of an attempt to bring you into the fold of an
unwilling attempt, then I shall use the singular first person henceforth.

But yes, it has become increasingly difficult to say the right thing for the
wrong people. With so much death, violence, rape, harassment, corruption,
traffic jams, heat, et cetera, et cetera, infinite et cetera, why would someone
wish to try and puncture this happy, jubilant balloon and let the public not
have its one, singular moment of joy?

Death penalties are a complex issue. But fact: No developed nation in the world
has the death penalty, except for the United States and Japan. Fact: There is
no evidence that supports the claim that the death penalty prevents future
crimes. Fact: Innocent people get killed due to insufficient evidence,
incompetent lawyers, ineffectual trials, inadequate technology, with the number
being a whopping one out of 25 in the US. Fact: Death penalty trials are longer
and hence, more expensive for us, the citizens, the tax-payers.

Opinion: Murder for murder cannot be a civilised reaction in the 21st century.
Not to go around touting an old Gandhian proverb, but a blind world cannot be
on our agenda for the future. Violence has always begotten violence, and when
the world, and especially our nation, is so bogged down by such excesses of it,
continuing that culture of taking life away when it need not be, is redundant,
morose, ugly.

One was witness to the same kind of fervour during the Shahbagh protests. If
I'm not mistaken, most of the protesters were composed of a liberal mindset,
constituting the more progressive nook of the Bangladeshi middle and
upper-middle classes.

It was surprising to see the same crowd call for death, the same crowd who are
so intent on valuing life in the now. But perhaps that is a false dichotomy
perpetrated by Western media: Republicans vs Democrats, pro-lifers vs
pro-choice, pro-capital punishment vs the opposite.

What we "need," however, is a relative matter, unless one is citing food and
air. Do we need capital punishment?

Opinion: We don't. If one were to take God out of the equation, just for a
moment, then death seems almost merciful. Spending life inside the confines of
a disgusting prison cell (the quality of prisons is another issue, for another
time) seems more fitting for child torturers and murderers, where they may be
exposed to all sorts of other, similarly heinous individuals and politics, who
treat them with cruelty that is "befitting" their crime.

Opinion: Even if one were to reinsert God back into the equation, and believes
in the idea of life after death and divine justice, God will take care of the
person when his time comes, while he watches a flashback made-for-TV movie on
the big screen of judgement day. There is, of course, the paradoxical argument
which claims that God oftentimes works through us, and we are left wondering
who wields the hand that ties the noose and brings down the sword: God or us?

Opinion: It makes us the better person, the bigger individual, to not respond
to violence with violence, to murder with murder. The right to take life away
has not been bestowed upon most of us, then why the government? If we are not
allowed to kill someone who has killed someone we love, why should the state?

Having never lost a dear member at someone else's hands, my claim to
objectivity is definitely easier. Opinion: We should strive for objectivity in
our viewpoints when we are fighting for a cause that affects more than just us,
and think about the long term ramifications of not just having an archaic
system such as the death penalty, but other similar concepts leftover from
bygone days.

Fact: Taking major decisions while angry, hurt, sad, basically under the
influence of emotions has almost never resulted in picking the more effective
long-term choice. Opinion: A future of violence is as little palatable to the
taste-buds as a history of one.

(source: Op-Ed; SN Rasul----Dhaka Tribune)

***************

6 to die for killing 8yr-old boy in Mymensingh

A Mymensingh court today awarded death sentence to 6 persons in connection with
killing an 8-year-old boy in Muktagacha upazila of Mymensingh in 2010.

The court handed down life-term imprisonment to a woman in this connection,
said Court Inspector Nowjesh Ali Miah.

Farhad, son of Ayub Ali, was killed after abduction on May 4, 2010 following a
land dispute in Kheruajani village. Police recovered the body 3 days into the
abduction, our Mymensingh correspondent reports quoting the court inspector.

Judge Mohammad Johirul Kabir of the Additional District and Sessions Judge's
Court-2 delivered the death penalty against Abdul Quddus, 60, his son Saheb
Ali, 35, Ibrahim alias Ibra, 55, his son Md Jewel, 35, Abdul Mazid Madhu, 70,
and Montaz Ali Monta, 60.

Of the death convicts, Saheb Ali was tried in absentia.

The court also handed down life-term imprisonment to Kamola Khatun, 50, wife of
death convict Quddus.

Farhad's father Ayub Ali had a long standing land dispute with the convicts.
Following the feud, the convicts abducted Farhad and killed the body, court
sources said.

Ayub Ali lodged a murder case with Muktagacha Police Station on May 7.

After investigation, Sub-Inspector Omar Ali, the investigation officer of the
case, pressed a charge-sheet against the 7.

(source: The Daily Star)

SAUDI ARABIA:

151 executed this year in highest recorded toll in nearly 2 decades

At least 151 people have been put to death in Saudi Arabia so far this year -
the highest recorded figure since 1995 - in an unprecedented wave of executions
marking a grim new milestone in the Saudi Arabian authorities' use of the death
penalty, said Amnesty International.

So far in 2015, on average, one person has been executed every other day.
Annual execution tolls for Saudi Arabia in recent years have rarely exceeded 90
for the entire year. The latest execution took place on 9 November.

"The Saudi Arabian authorities appear intent on continuing a bloody execution
spree which has seen at least 151 people put to death so far this year - an
average of 1 person every 2 days," said James Lynch, Deputy Director at Amnesty
International's Middle East and North Africa Programme.

According to Amnesty International's records, the last time Saudi Arabia
executed more than 150 people in a single year was in 1995, when 192 executions
were recorded. In 2014 the total number of executions carried out was 90 -
meaning that so far there has been a 68% increase in executions over the whole
of last year.

Death sentences in Saudi Arabia are frequently imposed for non-lethal offences,
such as drug-related ones, and after unfair trials which lack basic safeguards
for fair trial provided for under international human rights law and standards.
This was documented in Amnesty International's August 2015 report Killing in
the Name of Justice: The death penalty in Saudi Arabia .

Almost 1/2 of the 151 executions carried out this year were for offences that
do not meet the threshold of "most serious crimes" for which the death penalty
can be imposed under international human rights law. This blatantly contradicts
the Saudi Arabian authorities' claims to apply the death penalty with the
strictest safeguards in place. Under international human rights standards "most
serious crimes" are crimes that involve intentional killing.

Of the 63 people executed this year for drug-related charges, the vast
majority, 45 people, were foreign nationals. The total number of foreign
nationals executed so far this year is 71. The death penalty is
disproportionately used against foreigners in Saudi Arabia. Foreign nationals,
mostly migrant workers from developing countries, are particularly vulnerable
as they typically lack knowledge of Arabic and are denied adequate translation
during their trials.

"The use of the death penalty is abhorrent in any circumstance but it is
especially alarming that the Saudi Arabian authorities continue to use it in
violation of international human rights law and standards, on such a wide
scale, and after trials which are grossly unfair and sometimes politically
motivated," said James Lynch.

Concerns over the increase in executions have been further compounded by the
apparent use of the death penalty as a political tool to clamp down on Saudi
Arabian Shi'a Muslim dissidents.

Last month the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence of Sheikh Nimr Baqir
al-Nimr, a prominent Shi'a Muslim cleric from the Kingdom's Eastern Province,
after a politicized and grossly unfair trial at Saudi Arabia's notorious
counter-terror court (the Specialized Criminal Court).

This followed news that Sheikh al-Nimr's nephew Ali Mohammed Baqir al-Nimr, and
2 other young Shi'a activists, Dawood Hussein al-Marhoon and Abdullah Hasan
al-Zaher, who were arrested as juveniles after participating in anti-government
rallies, also had their death sentences upheld. All 3 have said they were
tortured and denied access to a lawyer during their trials. The 3 young men
have recently been transferred to solitary confinement heightening fears that
their executions could be imminent.

Saudi Arabia also continues to impose death sentences on and execute people
below 18 years of age, in violation of the country's obligations under
international customary law and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

"Using the death penalty against juvenile offenders is an egregious violation
of international human rights law. The use of the threat of executions as a
tool to punish and intimidate political dissidents by the Saudi Arabian
authorities is an appalling abuse of power," said James Lynch.

"Instead of intimidating people with the threat of state sanctioned killing,
the Saudi Arabian authorities should halt all impending executions and urgently
establish a moratorium on executions as well as overhaul the Kingdom's deeply
flawed justice system."

(source: Amnesty International)

******************

Iranians executed in S Arabia 'deprived of lawyer'

Deputy FM for Parliamentary and Consular Affairs has said Saudi Arabia denied
having lawyers for 3 Iranians tried and executed in a Saudi court.

Hassan Ghashghavi who was speaking to the press on the sidelines of joint
meeting of ambassadors and provincial governors on Monday, said that the court
trial traced back to 2011 when Saudi government had announced that it had
hauled a ship carrying 500kg of narcotics, arresting 11 onboard, 6 of whom were
Pakistani and 5 others were Iranian by nationality; "2 of Iranians got a
verdict of no guilty by the court; however, the remaining 3 others got a death
penalty, which has recently been confirmed by royal edict and all 3 were
beheaded," he told reporters.

"Many Iranians are still subject to death in prisons of foreign countries; we
have in our prisons foreign nationals who have received death penalty.
Beheading a foreign national had drawbacks in foreign policy terms; however,
Saudi Arabia and Saudi court failed to observe the principle of good
neighborliness," Ghashghavi said. "On Sunday, Foreign Ministry's Social Affairs
office summoned Saudi charge d'affaires to voice strong protest over execution
of 3 Iranians, to which Saudi official promised communicating the protest to
Riyadh," he added.

"Saudi Arabia had refused to cooperate with Iranian side in coordinating for
choosing a lawyer for 3 Iranians during trial on the grounds that narcotics
crime in Saudi Arabia are dealt as among serious crimes," he told reporters.

(source: Mehr News Agency)

SCOTLAND:

Radio 4 programme focuses on last hanging in Scotland

SLN contributor John Forsyth has produced an hour long radio programme for
Radio 4 to mark the 50th anniversary of the abolition of the death penalty.

The programme part of the Archive on 4 series includes a lengthy discussion of
the last hanging in Scotland with a contribution by the late Robert Henderson
QC who recalled Lord Wheatleyinspecting the Gordon Highlanders as part of the
opening ceremony and describes who jurors were in a state of shock to find
themselves part of capital proceedings.

Fifty years since the abolition of the death penalty in the UK, the debate
about its possible return has not gone away. In the programme John Tusa looks
back at how abolition was achieved and considers the continuing arguments with
Labour politician Roy Hattersley, philosopher Roger Scruton, lawyers,
criminologists and other experts.

Capital punishment was effectively abolished in the UK on the 8th November
1965.

It was one of the succession of changes in the law - along with legalisation of
abortion and decriminalisation of homosexuality - during the Harold Wilson
governments of 1964 -70 that transformed British society.

What did the abolition of capital punishment do for our society? And how do the
prophecies of disaster and the assurances of a more moral society of the time
look through the prism of current homicide statistics?

The public story of abolition has largely been told by the abolitionists,
focusing on notorious cases of blatant mistakes, such as Timothy Evans, or
apparent state brutality such as Ruth Ellis or Derek Bentley.

For the 1st time, John Tusa investigates, through case papers, the resistance
to abolition that took place below the radar from within the legal
establishment.

While the arguments were expressed in and out of Parliament in high-flown
language of morality and the obligations of the state to protect its citizens,
the archive reveals the minutiae of the last days of the condemned men and
women.

John Tusa considers how far the three main issues that were debated at the time
- deterrence, protection from wrongful execution, and the national morality -
would have been affected by present day evidence-gathering such as DNA
profiling and current victim-oriented politics.

The programme can be heard here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nhr7r#play

(source: scottishlegal.com)

ENGLAND:

Niece of hanged man describes battle to clear his name

50 years ago, an Act of Parliament led to the abolition of the death penalty in
the UK. It followed a series of high profile cases in the 1950s, including that
of Derek Bentley.

He was just 19 years old when he was hanged for the murder of a policeman
during a burglary. His conviction was quashed by the Appeal Court in 1998.

Derek's niece Maria Bentley-Dingwall told the Victoria Derbyshire programme how
the battle to clear his name led her to become a human rights activist.

(source: BBC news)

****************

London's 11 most notorious public execution sites----50 years after the death
penalty was abolished in Britain, we track down the places in the capital where
the condemned were killed

The death penalty was abolished in Britain exactly 50 years ago. To mark the
anniversary, we've tracked down the capital's most notorious public execution
sites.

1. Tyburn

Tyburn was synonymous with public executions for almost 600 years. A mere
village in 1196, when the first took place there, the site is now close to
Marble Arch, one of central London's busiest corners.

A stone memorial can be seen on the pavement marking the spot where the Tyburn
Tree, its distinctive 3-sided gallows, once stood. Oliver Cromwell's exhumed
body was, symbolically, hung at Tyburn in 1661.

2. Newgate Prison

In use for more than 700 years - from 1188 to 1902 - and the site of London's
gallows after Tyburn was retired from duty in 1783. The executions took place
in public - with the gallows set up on Newgate Street - until 1868.

The prison, whose former inmates include Casanova, William Kidd and Daniel
Defoe - was demolished in 1904. The Old Bailey occupies the main site, but head
to the church of St Sepulchre-without-Newgate to see the old jail's execution
bell, Amen Court, which is home to a surviving wall, or The Viaduct Tavern,
where 5 former cells of a neighbouring lock-up are visible in the basement.

3. The Tower and Tower Hill

Just a handful of prisoners were actually executed inside the grounds of the
Tower. They include Anne Boleyn, Lady Jane Grey and Robert Devereux, all of
whom were given the chop on Tower Green - a memorial marks the spot (though
there is now doubt that this is actually the exact site of the executions).

Far more met their demise on Tower Hill, in full gaze of the public, including
Thomas Cromwell and Sir Thomas More. Today, the site of the scaffold is laid
out as a memorial garden. The Hung Drawn & Quartered pub, on Great Tower St,
would make a suitable spot for last orders.

4. Lincoln's Inn Fields

London's largest public square has played host to a clutch of gruesome endings.
Among them was Lord William Russell, convicted of plotting to kill Charles II.
Jack Ketch, somewhat notorious for his lack of skill with the executioner's
axe, was given the job. The 1st blow led Russell to cry: "You dog, did I give
you 10 guineas to use me so inhumanely?" - 3 further swipes were needed to
dismember him. Ketch repeated the trick with the beheading of James Scott, 1st
Duke of Monmouth (at Tower Hill), when it took him five chops to remove the
head.

Another grisly execution at Lincoln's Inn Fields was that of Anthony Babington
for conspiring with Mary, Queen of Scots. The full sentence was as follows:
"From (the Tower of London) you shall be drawn on a hurdle through the open
streets to the place of execution, there to be hanged and cut down alive, and
your body shall be opened, your heart and bowels plucked out, and your privy
members cut off and thrown into the fire before your eyes. Then your head to be
stricken off from your body, and your body shall be divided into 4 quarters, to
be disposed of at (the Queen's) pleasure." Legend has it Babington was still
conscious when his "privy members" were being toasted.

A bandstand occupies the site of the executions. Afterwards, head to Sir John
Soane's museum, filled with curiosities. It holds candlelit evening openings
each month.

5. Execution Dock

For more than 400 years pirates, smugglers and mutineers sentenced to death by
Admiralty courts swung at this scaffold on the banks of the Thames at Wapping.
Most were brought from Marshalsea, a prison in Southwark (on what is now
Borough High Street - look out for a plaque on the prison's last remaining
wall). The execution procession took them over London Bridge and past the
Tower, with a stop at a public house, for a final quart of ale, customary.

Until the end of the 18th century, the bodies of pirates were often left on the
noose until at least three tides has washed over their heads. Others were
displayed at Cuckold's Point, on the Rotherhithe peninsula, or Blackwall Point,
on the Greenwich peninsula, as a warning to others.

Perhaps the most famous execution here was that of Captain Kidd in 1701. A
riverside pub is now named in his honour, while a replica of the gallows can be
seen outside a 2nd (The Prospect of Whitby).

6. Smithfield

A predecessor to Tyburn, the Elms at Smithfield was the site of William
Wallace's execution. It happened much like in the movie, Braveheart (hung,
drawn and quartered), though there is no evidence to support the blood curdling
cry of "Freedom!" Wallace's head was tarred and put on display atop London
Bridge; his limbs placed (separately) in Perth, Stirling, Berwick and
Newcastle, and a left quarter sent to Aberdeen (it's said to be entombed in the
walls of St Machar's Cathedral). A memorial to the Scot can be seen outside St
Bartholomew's Hospital. The building also features a plaque to commemorate the
death of several Marian Martyrs: protestants executed under Queen Mary.

Others killed at Smithfield include Wat Tyler (cut down by the Mayor of
London), John Badby (burned in a barrel) and Richard Rouse (boiled to death).

7. St Paul's Churchyard

Just a handful have been executed in the shadow of London's finest cathedral,
including Henry Garnet, convicted of complicity in the Gunpowder Plot. Though
sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered, sympathetic onlookers reportedly
pulled on the priest's legs to end the ordeal early.

The exact spot of the execution is not known. Get your fix of the macabre by
inspecting the final resting places of Nelson, Wellington, Wren et al in the
cathedral and its crypt.

8. Banqueting House

Charles I lost his head on a temporary gallows erected outside Banqueting House
on Whitehall. A bust of the former king marks the spot. Banqueting House, the
only surviving part of the Palace of Whitehall, can be visited for a shade more
than a fiver.

9. Charing Cross

Site of the final Eleanor Cross, inexplicably torn down in the 17th century
(before the Victorians built the replica), this spot traditionally marks the
centre of London and was once the location for all manner of public brutality.
Alongside the statue of Charles I once stood a pillory, where ne'er-do-wells
were flogged. Executions also took place, including those of several of the
regicides of the beheaded king. Samuel Pepys, the diarist, recalls the carnival
atmosphere that the square once had, with street entertainers and numerous
taverns (such as the Golden Cross, with features in David Copperfield and The
Pickwick Papers) attracting a boisterous crowd.

10. Old Palace Yard

The grounds in front of the Palace of Westminster was where Guy Fawkes met his
end in 1606 - symbolically, opposite the building he had tried to destroy. Sir
Walter Raleigh joined him 12 years later, and took it with aplomb, his final
words being a somewhat impatient: "Strike, man, strike!"

11. Kennington Common

South London's equivalent to Tyburn were the Surrey Gallows, which stood on the
site of St Mark's Church, close to Oval underground station. Records suggest at
least 129 men and 12 women were sent to meet their maker here, including a
number of Jacobites and highway robbers.

For a remarkably detailed record of public executions in Britain, see
www.capitalpunishmentuk.org

(source: The Telegraph)

*******************

Tightening noose? British views on the death penalty 50 yrs since abolition

Despite its abolition in Britain five decades ago, opinion remains divided over
the ethics and viability of the death penalty.

Peter Anthony Allen and Gwynne Owen Evans were the last Britons to be executed,
hanged in 1964 for the murder of John Alan West.

In 1965, Labour MP Sydney Silverman, who was determined to abolish the penalty,
introduced a Private Member's Bill to suspend death sentences. While no
executions took place since, the death penalty was finally abolished in all
circumstances in 1998.

At the time, the majority of the population was in favor of abolition. However,
recent opinion polls on capital punishment show views may be hardening once
again.

According to a YouGov poll published in 2014, British people "still tend to
support" the reintroduction of the death penalty, by 45-39 %.

"The Commons vote which ended capital punishment was a milestone for British
justice, yet YouGov research finds it to be one of those issues where the views
of the British public go against the political consensus," it said.

"By 45-39 % people tend to support the reintroduction of the death penalty for
murder," it added.

However, research published in the NatCen British Social Report in March found
48 % of the 2,878 people surveyed are in favor of the punishment - the lowest
figure since the survey began in 1983, when around 75 % ruled in favor.

Marking the 50th anniversary, Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron called for the
penalty to be abolished globally.

"50 years ago today the death penalty was abolished for murder in the UK. We
must keep campaigning to end it throughout the world," he said on Twitter.

Human rights charity Reprieve is opposed to reconsidering the death penalty.
"50 years of abolition is something to be proud of - but we must not let the
progress we have made as a nation in the last half century be reversed by our
current government, which has presided over a series of changes that undermine
Britain's commitment to human rights," Reprieve said in a statement.

(source: rt.com)