Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Nov 6 10:38:18 CST 2015

Nov. 6

MALAYSIA/SINGAPORE:

Death penalty? Allow vigilantes instead

Why waste taxpayers' money in executions when citizens can do the job
themselves (and take greater pleasure in personally exacting revenge too)?

Sarawakian Kho Jabing, 31, was to have been executed in Singapore today for
murdering a man.

Unfortunately, the labourer's case had very little media attention in Malaysia.
Local human rights groups did not seem to mount much of a campaign for Jabing
either, with only some writing press statements (a little too late) over the
past few days. Singapore's Court of Appeal had sentenced Jabing to death 10
months ago in January.

Do Malaysian human rights NGOs not care for an impoverished blue-collar worker
from Sarawak? Why was Jabing's campaign spearheaded by a Singaporean group We
Believe in Second Chances instead of a Malaysian group?

Malaysians should have gone all out in campaigning against his death sentence.

Sarawak minister Tan Sri Dr James Masing also said the state government would
not intervene in the execution as it was inappropriate for Malaysia to
interfere with the justice system in Singapore.

The Sarawak government's stand is unsurprising. However, I would argue that
there's nothing wrong with interference to protect our own citizens if the law
itself is unjust.

The verdict by Singapore's Court of Appeal was split 3-2.

According to Amnesty International Malaysia, the 2 dissenting judges held that
there was no evidence to prove with certainty that Jabing had hit his victim,
another labourer, more than twice, which would represent a "blatant disregard
for the sanctity of human life" a key factor in deciding whether or not to
sentence him to death. The other 3 judges thought Jabing's actions merited the
death sentence.

Jabing was convicted of beating a China national with a piece of wood; the man
later succumbed to his injuries, and Jabing sentenced to death in 2010.

Singapore reviewed in 2012 its mandatory death penalty laws. Jabing was
resentenced to life imprisonment after the review, but Singapore's Court of
Appeal later sentenced him to death in the 3-2 decision when the prosecution
appealed.

Malaysia has yet to review laws on capital punishment.

Oxford University professors Roger Hood and Carolyn Hoyle wrote in their book
The Death Penalty: A Worldwide Perspective that it is not "prudent" to accept
the belief that capital punishment in the US deters murder significantly more
than the threat of life imprisonment.

A study, which compared Singapore (that had among the highest execution rates
in the world in the mid-1990s) with Hong Kong( that abolished the death penalty
in 1993), reportedly found that homicide trends were similar in both countries,
with neither an increase in Singapore's executions nor a steep drop after 1997
making any significant impact.

Let's put aside the question of imposing the death penalty on drug traffickers.
If we are to live by the "an eye for an eye" principle, then any other crime
but murder should not be punished with death.

On whether the death penalty deters homicide, there is no conclusive research
that points to a deterrent effect.

So we get to the so-called justice factor in the death penalty. If killing
someone for killing another person is right, then in cases of theft, why
doesn't the State take equal amounts of money from the accused based on the
amount stolen? Why not appoint an official to sexually assault a convicted
rapist?

Steal a loaf of bread, and the State takes bread as punishment. Beat and rape a
woman till she bleeds? The State should do the exact same thing to her rapist.

These examples illustrate how ludicrous the death penalty is.

Even Singapore's principle in deciding death sentences on whether the accused
showed disregard for the sanctity of human life is arbitrary. So, 2 strikes are
okay, but 3 strikes are not?

What are the criteria for disregarding the "sanctity" of human life? If human
life is indeed so sacred, then capital punishment shouldn't be in the picture
at all.

The sanctity of human life surely doesn't depend on what a person has done,
even if she has killed someone. It should be inherent from birth.

If we were to judge how sacred one's life is based on their deeds, then not
only murderers, but rapists, child abusers and corrupt politicians would rank
at the bottom of the scale.

Killing someone with a clean gunshot to the head may be more merciful than
bludgeoning him to death with a rock, but the fact remains that the victim ends
up dead in both scenarios.

We shouldn't kill more people in the name of justice.

(source: Opinion, Boo Su-Lyn; themalaymailonline.com)

PHILIPPINES:

Death to alien drug offenders eyed

A panel in the House of Representatives that has approved a measure imposing
death on foreign nationals found guilty of engaging in drug-related activities
in the country now awaits plenary consideration.

The House committee on dangerous drugs, chaired by Iligan Rep. Vicente Belmonte
Jr., referred for plenary action House Bill 1213 which provides stiffer
penalties, including death, against alien offenders in the country.

"This means that the imposition of the penalty for drug offenses as prescribed
under the national law of the foreign national or the penalty under Republic
Act 9165, whichever is higher, is the rule to follow," the bill's author,
Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez said.

The measure, if passed into law, will amend Republic Act 9165, otherwise known
as the "Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002" by "adopting the higher
prescribed penalty, including death, of the national law of an alien found
guilty of trafficking dangerous drugs and other similar substances."

In June 2006, R.A. 9346 was enacted into law prohibiting the imposition of
death penalty in the Philippines, said Rodriguez, a former immigration
commissioner.

"While the rationale for passing the law was very clear and noble, there are
some sectors of society who believe that this law is not just and equitable
because while foreigners may not be executed in the Philippines for drug
trafficking, Filipinos who commit the same are executed in other countries with
death penalty," Rodriguez said.

Because of the ban on death penalty, an argument against the law states that
many foreign nationals are now emboldened to establish their drug factories in
the country because once convicted, they only suffer life imprisonment as
opposed to the penalty that they may suffer in their own countries which, in
some cases, like death in China, he added.

He also cited constant reports of foreign nationals, including Chinese
nationals, being caught selling drugs and operating drug dens and laboratories
in the country. And once caught and convicted, the penalty that our courts may
impose is only life imprisonment.

"This is a sad, or even unfair situation because when Filipinos are caught drug
trafficking abroad, they may be imposed the death penalty, as seen in the most
recent execution of the 3 Filipinos in China, namely Elizabeth Batain, 38,
Sally Ordinario Villanueva, 32, and Ramon Credo, 42," Rodriguez pointed out.

Again, in July 2013, a 35-year-old Filipina was executed despite pleas from the
Philippine Government. She was caught in January 2011 with 6.198 kilos of
heroin in her luggage at the Hangzhou International Airport and was sentenced
to death in 2011.

"While there is no reason to question the laws of foreign countries, we must
however, ensure that our countrymen do not suffer the short end of the stick,"
Rodriguez stressed.

(source: The Standard)

PAKISTAN:

Pakistan moves toward death penalty for child sex abuse.

Pakistan has taken a step towards punishing the sexual abuse of girls with life
imprisonment or even death after an influential parliamentary committee voted
to amend current laws.

The National Assembly's standing committee approved the proposal by lawmaker
Shaista Perveiz Malik yesterday, according to a statement on parliament's
website.

"After detailed discussions, the committee unanimously passed the bill," it
said.

The amendment only appears to address the sexual abuse of girls aged under 14,
not boys.

Under the existing penal code, the punishment for rape ranges from a minimum of
10 years' incarceration to the death penalty, but it does not specify the
victim's age or gender.

The bill will now come before lawmakers in both parliamentary chambers, who are
set to pass it into law.

Malik told the committee the state should protect vulnerable women and
children.

In a report, independent child rights watchdog Sahil said that last year almost
10 children were sexually abused in Pakistan every day on average.

Parliamentary records show that some 14,583 rape cases were registered in
Pakistan between 2009-2014, while only 1,041 offenders were convicted.

Pakistan ended a 6-year moratorium on the death penalty last year, at first
just for terror-related charges but later for offences including murder, drug
smuggling, blasphemy and treason.

(source: The Kashmir Monitor)

INDIA:

Man gets death penalty for raping, killing minor

A local court has handed over death penalty to 1 person on the charge of raping
and killing a 7-year-old and imposed a fine of Rs 30,000 on him. According to
prosecution, Sooraj Vishwakarma (20) sexually assaulted the victim -- who used
to sell garlands at Maa Sharda Mata Temple premises in Maihar -- on May 17. The
girl was returning home after selling garlands when he committed the crime. He
later killed her. Additional Sessions Judge CD Sharma delivered the verdict
yesterday.

(source: webindia123.com)

GLOBAL:

II will never stop calling for an end to the death penalty: Ban

Vowing to never stop calling for an end to the death penalty, United Nations
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday said studies have proven that those
who are poor, mentally disabled, and/or are minorities are at higher risk of
receiving the death sentence, regardless of guilt or innocence.

"That is simply wrong," Ban said in his remarks at the launch of a book, Moving
Away from the Death Penalty: Arguments, Trends and Perspectives, by the Office
of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, at the UN Bookstore in New York.

The book documents injustices that are "sickening," Ban noted, "but the
arguments for change are compelling" and cited that "more and more countries
and States are abolishing the death penalty" in all regions of the world.

"But there is also a backlash," he warned, and expressed his deep concern that
"some States are sentencing more people to death and others are resuming
executions."

Attending the launch was Kirk Bloodsworth of the United States, who is the 1st
person exonerated from death row by post-conviction DNA evidence.

He was introduced by UN Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public
Information Cristina Gallach. The Permanent Representative of Italy to the
United Nations, Sebastiano Cardi, also made remarks.

"[Mr. Bloodsworth] represents the reason we are here today. He is totally
innocent of any crime. But like too many other people, he suffered the
unforgiveable injustice of a death sentence...I am conscious that he says he
was not exonerated because the system worked but because of a series of
miracles," noted the UN chief.

In an interview with the UN News Centre, Bloodsworth indeed said he was saved
by a series of miracles. He had survived the terrible ordeal - "spending a
total of 8 years 10 months and 19 days in prison for a crime I did not commit"
- through faith in himself "and my belief that I knew I was an innocent person,
and at the end of the day, the truth came out.

Asked why he was personally against the death penalty, Bloodworth replied:
"[It's very simple: if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone; in America
or anywhere. What I'm saying is that an innocent person can be executed and
that should never happen. If it can happen to me it can happen to anybody
anywhere in the world."

Ahead of the launch, the book's editor, UN Assistant Secretary-General for
Human Rights Ivan Simonovic, said in 1975, about 97 % of countries were
executing criminals 2015, but only 27 % of countries that hand down the death
penalty.

But Simonovic said that in 2014, there had unfortunately been a 28 % increase
in the number of people condemned to death and also noted that one of the
biggest drawbacks of death penalties is the "wrongful conviction" of suspects.

The Secretary-General today seized on the phenomenon today, saying "there will
always be wrongful convictions - but when States impose the death penalty in
such cases, they also kill any hope for justice."

And he also spoke of the "harsh reality" that the death penalty discriminates.
"Study after study proves that if you are poor, minority or mentally disabled,
you are at higher risk regardless of guilt or innocence."

"When we safeguard the human rights of the most vulnerable, we promote more
peaceful, just and stable conditions for all," he said.

"I will never stop calling for an end to the death penalty," Ban said, noting
that "no one has proven that the death penalty even deters crime."

"This book contains a great deal of information - but it makes no prediction on
when the death penalty will be abolished globally. That is up to us. Let us
write a new chapter so that the next edition may treat the death penalty the
way we now treat public executions - as an aberration that is shunned in our
world," the Secretary-General concluded.

(source: indiablooms.com)

AFGHANISTAN:

Public Stoning Condemned In Afghanistan

Afghan lawmakers have condemned and ordered an investigation into the stoning
death of a young woman accused of adultery.

Lawmakers discussed the killing, which took place in the remote Ghor Province
in late October, during a November 4 parliamentary session.

"As a representative of the Afghan people, I urge [the government] to hand over
to the clutches of the law those behind this incident and the wild criminals
who ruthlessly killed or stoned a woman to death," Shukria Paikan, a legislator
from the northern province of Kunduz, said during the session.

The brutal death of 19-year-old Rukhshana was captured in a 2-minute video
obtained from an eyewitness by RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan. The video, an
edited version of which was published this week, shows men identified as
Taliban militants hurling stones at Rukhshana as she kneels in a hole in the
ground, reciting an Islamic creed.

The killing reportedly took place in Ghalmin, a village on the outskirts of
Firoz Koh, the capital of Ghor Province.

Ghor Governor Sima Joyenda told RFE/RL on November 2 that the stoning was
carried out by "Taliban, local religious leaders, and armed warlords" after
Rukhshana was found guilty of committing adultery. Joyenda said that her family
had married her off against her will and that she was caught while eloping with
a 23-year-old Mohammad Gul.

Gul was lashed for the same crime, according to local police.

Stoning 'Un-Islamic'

Najia Aimaq, a parliament member from the northern Baghlan Province, told
fellow lawmakers that the stoning should have been prevented. "Those
individuals who carry out such acts should be handed over to clutches of the
law and should be punished," she said.

In a November 4 statement, the office of President Ashraf Ghani called the
stoning "extra-judicial, un-Islamic, and criminal" and condemned the incident
in the "strongest terms." The statement added that the president had assigned a
delegation to "seriously investigate" the matter.

Rafiullah Bedar, a spokesman for Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights
Commission, told Shamshad TV on November 3 that the stoning was "un-Islamic."

The Taliban has been widely accused of carrying out the stoning, a punishment
rarely seen in Afghanistan since Taliban rule ended. In 2010, Amnesty
International reported what it called the "first confirmed stoning in the
country since the fall of the Taliban in 2001." In that case, a couple accused
of adultery was stoned to death in a public execution in Kunduz Province.

Did The Taliban Do It?

Local police official Mohammad Zaman Azimi has said the stoning was carried out
by the Taliban, as did Masooma Anwari, the head of women's affairs in Ghor.

But some, including activist Wazhma Frogh, co-founder of the Research Institute
for Women, Peace and Security, are skeptical. "We are told elders did this!"
Frogh wrote in a November 3 tweet. "Not defending any atrocities of Ts [the
Taliban] but if done by elders then we're covering up a crime."

Joyenda -- the female governor of Ghor who has been the target of death
threats, protests calling for her ouster, and outside criticism after a young
couple was lashed in her province recently -- stressed that the village where
the stoning occurred was controlled by the Taliban.

The provincial government's power extends little beyond Firoz Koh. Dozens of
illegal, armed groups run by former warlords and militia leaders are active in
Ghor, a key transit route for arms and drugs, and the resulting clashes are
seen to be the source of much of the violence in the province.

The war in Afghanistan is often used as cover for a wide range of crimes,
including revenge killings, kidnapping for ransom, and extortion.

Harsh Justice

The Taliban is also not a homogenous group. Afghan officials have used the name
to label hostile former warlords, religious leaders, and tribal elders.

Capital punishment was widely practiced by the Taliban regime, which ruled much
of the country from 1996-2001. Convicted adulterers were routinely shot or
stoned in executions conducted in front of large crowds.

In rural areas, where Taliban militants exert considerable influence, some
Afghans still turn to Taliban courts to settle disputes because they consider
government bodies to be corrupt or unreliable. The Taliban courts employ strict
interpretations of Shari'a law, which prescribes punishments such as stoning
and executions.

The Afghan Constitution considers Islam to be the "religion of the state" and
says that "no law can be contrary to the beliefs and provisions of the sacred
religion of Islam."

The stoning of convicted adulterers is banned under Afghan law. However, in
many areas controlled by the Taliban, it is not uncommon for men or women found
guilty of having a relationship outside marriage to be sentenced to death, or
publicly flogged.

(source: Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)