[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.C., FLA., ALA., MISS., LA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri May 29 14:49:07 CDT 2015

May 29

TEXAS:

Court to hear father's appeal in girl's killing

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has agreed to consider an appeal from an
East Texas man on death row for the 2002 slaying of his 2-year-old daughter.

Attorneys for Robert Roberson III, 48, say his rights were violated when his
trial judge in Palesltine refused to allow testimony from a neurologist. They
contend the physician would have said that Roberson didn't deliberately kill
Nikki Curtis.

***************

Texas solidifies execution drug secrecy protections into law

Texas state law will mandate keeping the identity of Texas' lethal drug
suppliers confidential from the public - and even death row inmates and their
attorneys.

Gov. Greg Abbott signed a bill Thursday that cleared both chambers of the
Republican-controlled Legislature. There was little floor opposition, despite
advocates' calls that there shouldn't be secrecy surrounding the nation's
busiest death chamber.

Drug manufacturers say they won't sell to Texas without total confidentiality
since they've faced threats from death penalty opponents. There's little
evidence that such threats actually occurred, however.

Abbott, then state attorney general, declared in a previous opinion that
suppliers' identities should be disclosed. But he reversed himself while
running for governor, siding for secrecy.

That prompted legal challenges that will likely be further complicated by the
new law.

(source for both: Associated Press)

****************

30 years on death row and many appeals later, 'deck is always stacked against
you' ---- Lester Bower will be the second-longest tenured Texas inmate to be
put to death in modern era but will a 7th stay of execution save him?

Lester Bower made for an unlikely mass murderer.

At the time when 4 men were shot dead in an aircraft hanger near Dallas, Bower
was a 35-year-old, college-educated, married father of 2 who made a comfortable
living as a chemicals salesman and did not have a criminal record.

That was in 1983. Bower was convicted of the killings the following year and
has been on death row ever since, maintaining his innocence and launching
appeal after appeal. Texas has attempted to kill him 6 times only for Bower to
be granted stays when facing imminent execution, most recently in February.

The state will try again 3 June, when the 67-year-old is scheduled to die by
lethal injection. He will be the oldest inmate executed in Texas since capital
punishment was restored in the US in 1976.

Texas has executed 522 prisoners during Bower's 11,341 days on death row. Of
the 265 people currently on the state's death row, 9 have been there longer.
Raymond Riles, who is seriously mentally ill, has been on the row since 1976.

Bower will be the 2nd-longest tenured Texas inmate to be put to death in the
modern era after David Powell, a cop killer who spent 32 years on death row
before his execution in 2010.

Yet Bower is philosophical about his extended stay and the probability that it
is about to end. "I'm not overly earth-shaken about what's going on," he said
from behind glass in a cage the size of a phone booth at Texas' death row in
Livingston, 70 miles north of Houston.

"Once you've been through the dates 3 or 4 times, once you've been to 7 ... you
get down to the captain's office to go through the last protocols, ask for your
witnesses and stuff like that - geez, we're all on a 1st name basis now.
They're used to it. It's kind of, I walk in and say, same as last time. Just
get last time and re-duplicate it.'"

Supreme court asks if execution drugs are like being 'burned alive at the
stake'

He expects to mount a last-minute appeal to the US supreme court, which
declined to take up the case in March after granting a stay in February to give
them time to decide whether to hear it. In 2013 the court opted not to stop
Arizona from executing Edward Schad, a 71-year-old who had been on death row
for nearly 35 years.

The average time on Texas death row is 10.82 years, according to the Texas
Department of Criminal Justice. That Bower has been there nearly 3 times as
long has formed part of his appeal strategy. The supreme court is considering
whether drug protocols using midazolam violate the constitutional ban on cruel
and unusual punishment. Bower argues the duration of his stay breeches the 8th
amendment by effectively being a form of torture.

Courts in Texas have not bought that argument, but a federal judge in
California ruled last year that the state's death penalty was unconstitutional
because a "random few" who are put to death "will have languished for so long
on death row that their execution will serve no retributive or deterrent
purpose and will be arbitrary".

Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, said
it is legitimate to ask whether any useful penological purpose is served by
keeping inmates on death row for so long, often in harsh and isolated
conditions that may affect their mental health. "3 decades is an extraordinary
period of time. When you tell people that somebody has been on death row for 30
years, one of the first things you hear from them is, 'well, what's the
point?'" he said.

Bower said he listens to NPR and BBC news reports on the radio in his cell,
especially when there's an election on - though as a felon he is not allowed to
vote.

"You have to keep yourself occupied. You've got to do something," he said. "For
some that's drawing, painting; some people just read. A lot of people just
enter into correspondence with pen pals around the world. Everybody kind of
handles it different ways. You can keep a reasonable chess game going."

He has been entangled in litigation for so long, he said, that changes in the
legal process have complicated his appeals and left them vulnerable to being
dismissed on technicalities. "If you're here long enough the laws change so
much that it gets messed up," he said. "I've got the best attorneys in the
world. Even the best attorneys in the world can be thwarted by the system ...
the deck is always stacked against you."

'What if I'd been in the jury and heard my own case?'

His problems began when he responded to an advertisement in Glider Rider
magazine and agreed to buy an ultralight aircraft from a building contractor
named Bob Tate on 8 October1983. That day, 4 men - Tate, Ronald Mayes, Philip
Good and Jerry Brown - were shot in the head at close range in a hangar on a
ranch near Sherman, 60 miles north of Dallas. 3 of the bodies were placed under
a carpet pile. The crime bore many of the hallmarks of a professional-grade
assassination.

Initially the investigation focused on possible connections to drug dealing.
Months later it turned to Bower after phone records showed he had talked to
Tate. Bower, who did not want his wife to know he had bought the plane because
she was firmly against the idea, was questioned by the FBI and lied to them by
claiming he had no link to Tate or the aircraft. When parts of the plane were
found in his garage, he was arrested.

"In the long run I'm really responsible for putting myself down here. I didn't
help in the investigation. It's like the quarterback for the New England
Patriots [Tom Brady]; once he decided not to cooperate then they said: 'well,
if you're not going to cooperate then you know more [than you're letting on]'.
And they came down on him ... Now, clearly the state took advantage of that
situation. But there's not much I can do about that right now," he said.

"It's a difficult job being on a jury. I've thought about this. What if I'd
been in the jury and heard my own case? I think that given what the jury had to
go with, the evidence before them, I think I would probably have reached the
same conclusion."

No witnesses or evidence directly linked Bower to the crime scene and the
murder weapon was not recovered. But prosecutors built the case that Bower
killed Tate to steal the aircraft and shot the other 3 - 1 of them a former
police officer, another a sheriff's deputy - when they unexpectedly turned up.
Bower's lawyers contend that much of the evidence the state relied upon at
trial was dubious, such as the speculative claim that the murders were carried
out using a very rare kind of subsonic ammunition previously bought by Bower,
who was a licensed weapons dealer. Prosecutors wrongly told the jury that only
15 people in Texas had access to the type of bullets.

They say that since the conviction in 1984, witnesses have come forward and
documents have been unearthed to suggest that the killings were indeed sparked
by a drug deal gone wrong.

They also argue that the jury was not given the option to take mitigating
circumstances such as Bower's previous good character into account during the
sentencing phase of the trial. In his dissent last March after the supreme
court refused the case, justice Stephen Breyer said this was a "glaring" and
unconstitutional error that should entitle Bower to a new sentencing
proceeding.

Prosecutors have insisted in court filings that the new witnesses were not
credible, that there is no hard evidence the murders were drug related and that
the case against him remains highly persuasive. As for the lengthy stay on
death row? According to Texas' attorneys, this is Bower's own fault for
fighting his conviction so doggedly. "Bower has consistently litigated his case
without stop over the last 30 years. Any delay is purely of his own making,"
they wrote earlier this year.

Bower was calm and measured throughout an hour-long interview, never becoming
emotional and discussing his situation with clinical detachment. "I don't know
if the futility has mellowed me or whatever; I have found it doesn't do any
good to yell and scream and wave my hands," he said.

"If it's my time to go it's my time to go ... If next week I end up in the
execution chamber, my final words probably will be: 'Hey, I'm out of here, this
hasn't been fun. I'm going on someplace else. Tired of this.'"

(source: The Guardian)

NORTH CAROLINA:

Prosecutors won't seek death penalty in 'Top Model' killings

Prosecutors said they will not seek the death penalty against Emmanuel Rangel
and 3 other defendants accused in 4 killings in February.

Emmanuel Rangel is charged with 4 counts of murder, including the shooting of
America's Next Top Model, Mirjana Puhar, who was found dead in a north
Charlotte home along with 2 men, who were also shot.

Rangel was charged with the shooting of 2 men in the parking lot of a Microtel
Inn in Matthews. 1 of those 2 men later died.

Authorities said the triple murder was a dispute over drugs and that Rangel
knew the victims.

Edward Sanchez and David Lopez will also not face the death penalty. Both have
been charged with murder. The final defendant, Emily Isaacs, was charged with
being an accessory after the fact to 1st-degree murder.

Prosecutors did not say why they took the death penalty off the table.

(source: WCNC news)

FLORIDA:

Covington gets death penalty in 2008 triple murder

Edward Covington has been sentenced to death for the 2008 murders of his
girlfriend and her 2 children.

Covington had pleaded guilty last year to to 3 counts of 1st-degree murder,
abuse of a human body and animal cruelty.

He was arrested in May 2008 after investigators said he killed his girlfriend,
Lisa Frieberg, and her 2 children, Zachary, 7, and Heather Savannah, 2, in a
Lutz mobile home.

During the penalty phase, the defense had argued that Covington had a long
history of mental illness that led to the murders. However, prosecutors said
Covington had been abusing cocaine for several years, and that played a role in
the murders.

(soure: Bay News)

ALABAMA:

Keaton could face death penalty in deaths of kids

The sentencing phase of the Heather Keaton's capital murder trial got under way
Thursday with the prosecution trying to convince the jury to recommend the
death penalty for Keaton, and the defense arguing for life in prison without
parole.

On Wednesday, the jury reached a mixed verdict in the trial.

The jurors found Keaton guilty of 1 of 3 counts of capital murder in the
killing of Jonathan DeBlase. The jury found Keaton guilty of manslaughter in
the death of Natalie DeBlase, and not guilty on the 3rd count, which was murder
of 2 or more individuals in the same course of conduct.

District Ashley Rich told the jurors she expected the evidence presented during
this phase of the trial would show the crime Keaton committed in killing
Jonathan DeBlase was "heinous, atrocious, and cruel as compared to other
capital offense."

Rich said this was the only requirement the state must prove in order for the
jury to return a recommendation of the death penalty.

Rich's opening statement pointed out that Jonathan was duct taped with a sock
in his month and poisoned with antifreeze prior to this death, which Rich said
meets the requirements of "heinous, atrocious, and cruel."

During Thursday's proceedings, John DeBlase was brought into the courtroom in
shackles prior to the jury coming in and offered immunity by District Attorney
Ashley Rich in any future trials or appeals in exchange for his testimony.

After being questioned by Judge Stout as to whether or not he understood what
was being asked of him Deblase was then asked to answer. DeBlase responded,
"Under the advice from my attorney's in Montgomery and my attorney here, I
exercise my 5th Amendment right."

He was then led from the courtroom.

Defense attorney Greg Hughes told the jurors they would be asked to consider a
number of mitigating circumstances during this phase of the trial. Hughes said
Keaton acted under extreme duress and mental distress.

He said she was under the domination of John DeBlase who committed the crimes,
saying Keaton's part was "minor". The defense lawyer said all of the mitigating
circumstances should lead the jurors to recommend life in prison without
parole.

(source: WALA news)

MISSISSIPPI:

Court denies rehearing in death row appeal

A Blue Mountain man will remain on death row in the shooting death of a
newspaper delivery man.

Marlon Howell, 34, faces the death penalty in the shooting death of David
Pernell, 61, of New Albany in May of 2000.

Last year, a judge denied a request for a new trial after holding an
evidentiary hearing on Howell's post-conviction relief petition.

Howell claims a witness recanted his identification, another witness was not
allowed to testify in his defense, and he did not have an attorney during the
lineup.

In October, the Mississippi Supreme Court upheld the judge's ruling not to
grant a new trial.

On Thursday, justices denied a request to rehear the appeal.

(source: WTVA news)

LOUISIANA:

Seabaugh drops death penalty bill in lieu of study

A bill Rep. Alan Seabaugh, R-Shreveport, put forth to strip the Louisiana
Public Defender Board of the oversight of death penalty cases has been pulled
in lieu of a study on the state's indigent defense board.

E. Pete Adams, the Louisiana District Attorneys Association executive director,
said House Concurrent Resolution 196 is replacing House Bill 605 which faced
strong opposition the 1st time it went before the house judiciary committee.

"The purpose of this is to study the issues that we have raised to you and to
have that study done by somebody that is objective. It is not to make any
changes. It's to study and to make recommendations to you if those
recommendations are merited," Adams said to the judiciary committee Thursday.

Seabaugh will handle the concurrent resolution, which passed the committee with
numerous amendments, on the House floor. The representative has accused the
public defender board of being anti-death penalty crusaders using the state's
money to drag out death penalty cases.

Adams said he resolution is the result of a compromise between the supporters
and some proponents of House Bill 605, which includes State Public Defender Jay
Dixon.

It authorizes the creation of the Indigent Defense Review Committee. The
committee will study the composition of the Louisiana Public Defender Board in
regards to potential conflicts of interests, the board's fiduciary
responsibilities to the state, fiscal priorities in relation to its mission and
constitutionally required standards.

Like the bill, the study also has opposition.

Derwyn Bunton, Orleans Public Defenders Office's chief district defender, said
he was structurally opposed to the resolution and called it unfair. He said
there's no evidence of poor service or a violation of ethics by the public
defender board.

Passing the resolution leaves the impression that Louisiana is hostile to a
fair system, he said.

"The nation is watching," Bunton said.

(source: Shreveport Times)