[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, MISS., OKLA., NEB., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed May 20 08:48:44 CDT 2015

May 20

TEXAS:

Death penalty still a blight on the soul of Texas

The death sentence handed down by a jury to Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar
Tsarnaev has brought the issue of capital punishment to the forefront of the
nation's conscience once more.

Of course, here in Texas, executing people has become so common that most
people barely take notice anymore.

Shortly after Tsarnaev was charged with capital murder, I proclaimed that
then-Attorney General Eric Holder was wrong in seeking the death penalty in the
case, and I had hoped that the Boston jury would agree instead on a sentence of
life in prison.

Just as Holder was wrong, so is our new Attorney General Loretta Lynch in
saying that death for Tsarnaev is a "fitting punishment."

Capital punishment should never be "fitting" in a civilized society.

Yes, the Boston bombing was a horrible crime and no doubt Tsarnaev was guilty.
But neither a state nor the country ought to be in the killing business, which
is why I oppose all executions, including those of other notorious criminals
like: Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber; John Allen Muhammad, the
Washington-area sniper; Nidal Hasan, the Fort Hood shooter; and Saddam Hussein,
Iraq's brutal dictator.

With that in mind, you should understand why I've opposed all 525 executions
carried out in Texas since 1982, when the state resumed putting prisoners to
death. And with 2 more men scheduled to die next month - the 8th and 9th this
year should their punishments be carried out - I once again raise objection to
this brutality of the state.

The executions set for June also allow us to focus on a dilemma the state faces
as more drug manufacturers refuse to sell the lethal products to be used in
executing individuals, giving some of us hope that the unavailability of the
proper pharmaceuticals might be the way to stop capital punishment.

Texas and some other states, however, have begun using unidentified pharmacies
with the ability to compound drugs, with the states refusing to make known who
the suppliers are.

Although a judge has ordered that Texas must identify its drug suppliers, that
case is being appealed and the court order is on hold.

An execution this month had left Texas with only 1 remaining dose of its lethal
drug, meaning it would have had only enough to kill 1 person in June, not 2,
Michael Graczyk of The Associated Press reported. But it seems a new supply has
been purchased, meaning the deaths of Gregory Russeau and Lester Bower won't be
stopped - that is, for the lack of drugs.

The Bower case is particularly interesting because he has been on death row for
31 years this month. Only 1 other man spent 31 years on Texas death row before
being executed.

An Arlington resident accused of killing 4 men in an aircraft hanger near
Sherman in 1983, Bower has maintained his innocence.

6 times his pending execution has been halted, the last time in February when
the Supreme Court decided to take up his latest claims that included his being
subjected to cruel and unusual punishment because of his length of time on
death row and the number of times he faced imminent execution.

In March the high court turned down his appeal, paving the way for his seventh
scheduled date with the executioner.

At 67, Bower would become the oldest man to be executed in Texas, another one
for the record books in the country's leading death penalty state.

(source: Column; Bob Ray Sanders, Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

MISSISSIPPI:

Condemned Mississippi inmate wants mental health hearing

Attorneys for a Mississippi death row inmate asked the state Supreme Court on
Tuesday to order a hearing on his mental health as a possible step toward
overturning his conviction.

The attorney general's office opposed the request, saying a trial judge
properly handled the capital murder case against Erik Wayne Hollie, who pleaded
guilty in the 2009 killing of a pawn shop owner.

After listening to more than an hour of arguments, justices gave no indication
of how or when they might rule.

Hollie, now 30, was sentenced to death by a Copiah County jury in 2010 after he
pleaded guilty to capital murder in the killing of Wesson Pawn Shop owner
Denmon Ward.

Hollie's public defender, Alison Steiner, who came to the case years after
Hollie was convicted, told justices that shortly after Hollie was sent to
prison, he was found to be suffering from "a bipolar-type situation." She said
the condition could not have developed quickly, and indicated Hollie had been
mentally incompetent at the time of trial, when he waived the assistance of
another defense attorney and pleaded guilty.

"There were times he could appear perfectly normal and times he could appear
completely irrational," Steiner said.

She said that during sentencing, Hollie underwent an evaluation by a
psychiatrist who was agreed upon by prosecutors and defense attorneys. Steiner
told justices that she believes Hollie was "faking" good mental health so he
could "go to a proceeding where he could commit suicide by jury."

In a videotaped discussion with investigators, Hollie said God had told him to
kill Ward, she said.

A circuit judge should have held a hearing to more fully examine Hollie's
mental health, she said.

Steiner said medical records from prison show doctors have treated him for
depression and other mental disorders with psychotropic medications including
Prozac and Remeron.

Jason L. Davis, a special assistant attorney general, argued said the issue of
Hollie's mental competency was "completely abandoned" by this original defense
attorney long ago.

Davis said that although opponents of the death penalty might not like the
circumstances, "this is a case of an individual who took responsibility - who
took responsibility for his actions, who pled gulity and asked to be sentenced
to death."

Mississippi law says a person can be sentenced to death for killing someone if
there is another felony involved. Steiner said jurors in Hollie's case were
told about 2 possible other felonies that could be used to make his a
death-penalty case. One was a robbery that prosecutors said took place during
the killing of Ward at the pawn shop. The other was Hollie's guilty plea to an
earlier armed robbery.

She said jurors used his record from the previous armed robbery as the reason
for setting a death penalty. However, she questioned whether that was proper.
She said the trial court had not fully finished processing the earlier armed
robbery plea before he was sentenced to death in the capital murder case.

(source: Associated Press)

OKLAHOMA:

Man will face death penalty in 2009 'Cathouse' killings trial in Oklahoma

A man accused of the killing of a drug dealer and 3 women - including 2 who
were pregnant - will face the death penalty at trial.

Russell Lee Hogshooter, 37, will be tried on 6 counts of 1st-degree murder and
1 count of conspiracy, Oklahoma County Special Judge Fred Doak ruled Tuesday.

Hogshooter is 1 of 2 men charged with the 2009 slayings in November. The other
man, Jonathan Allen Cochran, 35, has pleaded guilty and is serving a 25-year
prison sentence for his role.

1 of the victims, 22-year-old Brooke Phillips, was a prostitute featured on
"Cathouse," a reality television show about a Nevada brothel.

Cochran testified Tuesday to what prosecutors have long alleged - Casey Mark
Barrientos, 32, was the target of the attack.

Phillips, Jennifer Lynn Ermey, 25, and Milagros "Millie" Barrera, 22, were
killed to eliminate them as witnesses, Cochran testified. Phillips and Barrera
were pregnant.

The initial plan was to rob the house of money and drugs while nobody was home,
but the assailants agreed to kill anyone they found inside the home and armed
themselves before leaving Salina, OK, for Oklahoma City, Cochran said.

(source: The Oklahoman)

*****************

Miles Bench Awaits Execution in Oklahoma

Convicted Stephens County killer, Miles Bench is now in his new cell awaiting
execution on Oklahoma's death row in McAlester.

The death warrant was signed by the judge last week.

Bench was found guilty of the beating death in 2012 of 16-year-old Braylee
Henry in the convenience store in Velma where he worked.

His execution is set for the 1st week of August.

However, his attorneys have filed papers to appeal the sentence.

The Stephens County jury recommended the death penalty on march 6, after
finding him guilty.

Before and during his trial, his attorneys had attempted to have him declared
mentally incompetent, but failed.

Oklahoma's executions by lethal injection were put on hold after problems, but
last month the governor signed a bill to allow use of nitrogen gas for
executions if lethal injection is not reinstated.

(source: texomashomepage.com)

NEBRASKA:

Nebraska lawmakers out of touch with rest of state, Gov. Ricketts says

Gov. Pete Ricketts said Tuesday that state lawmakers are "out of touch" with
their fellow Nebraskans on several fronts.

Ricketts said lawmakers were not listening to the public when they passed a
hike in the gas tax. And he said they're not listening to the public each and
every time they advance a bill to repeal the death penalty.

"The Legislature is out of touch with what Nebraskans believe," Ricketts said
during an appearance on "The Bottom Line," The World-Herald's Internet radio
show.

Nebraska has 11 men on death row. The last time the state executed anyone was
in 1997.

Ricketts said he believes that most Nebraskans continue to support the ultimate
punishment for those people who commit the worst crimes. He also said
prosecutors often use the death penalty as leverage to negotiate plea deals
with murderers, and it helps protect prison guards because inmates with life
sentences otherwise would have nothing to lose if they killed while in prison.

"We use it judiciously (in Nebraska)," said Ricketts. "We don't overuse it."

Ricketts said the state will eventually have all the drugs needed to perform
its first execution by lethal injection. 3 inmates on death row have exhausted
their appeals.

In the past, the state has had trouble acquiring all 3 drugs needed to perform
an execution by lethal injection. But last week, Ricketts announced that a drug
distributor in India, HarrisPharma, agreed to sell 2 necessary drugs to
Nebraska.

Once the drugs are delivered, Ricketts said, the state will be ready to push
for those executions. He said Attorney General Doug Peterson also believes that
the state will be able to perform its 1st execution in 18 years.

"We are all in lockstep with our ability to do this," said Ricketts.

Of the 3 drugs in Nebraska's lethal injection protocol, sodium thiopental has
been the most difficult to obtain because U.S. manufacturers have quit making
it, and several foreign suppliers have banned its use for executions.

(source: omaha.com)

CALIFORNIA:

DA: Ernesto Martinez will still face death penalty

Riverside County prosecutors have decided they will continue to seek the death
penalty for Ernesto Salgado Martinez, an Indio man who has already been
sentenced to execution for killing a policeman in Arizona.

District Attorney Mike Hestrin held a meeting with his top prosecutors on
Monday to strategize about how to best prosecute Martinez, but ultimately
decided to stay the course in the killer's stagnating court case.

"During the discussion of the factual and procedural history of this case,
several questions arose that I believe need to be answered before I can come to
a final decision," Hestrin said in an emailed statement to The Desert Sun on
Tuesday. "The nature of the information I needed to make my decision was such
that I directed my staff to take more time to research and gather the requested
information. We plan to reconvene the staffing in the near future but, at this
point, I have not changed our current position that we are seeking the death
penalty for Mr. Martinez."

Martinez, 39, is in jail in Riverside awaiting trial in the death of Blythe
storekeeper Randip Singh nearly 20 years ago, on Aug. 15, 1996. Martinez is
simultaneously on death row in Arizona, where he has been previously convicted
of murdering Arizona Highway Patrolman Bob Martin, about 8 hours before Singh
was shot. Martinez shot Martin on the edge of State Road 87, then drove across
the state line into Blythe, where police say he killed Singh in a robbery after
running out of gas.

Martinez was extradited to California in 2010, and has since defended himself
in county court, delaying his trial in the Blythe shooting. Today, Martinez,
who has spent more than 1/2 of his life behind bars, is one of the most
dangerous inmates in Riverside County.

Currently, Martinez has a pending appeal in federal court in Arizona, so the
pending California trial is not delaying his execution. However, the local case
is keeping Martinez in Riverside County, where he is absorbing tax dollars and
endangering other inmates and jail staff.

Riverside County has spent more than $230,000 to jail Martinez since he was
extradited in 2010. In addition, Martinez's court case has demanded countless
hours from prosecutors and court employees. Martinez has also tricked an Indio
judge into appointing his mistress as his government-funded paralegal, and
allegedly stabbed one of his cell mates more than 50 times in 2011.

The complexities of Martinez's unusual court case were recently explored in an
in-depth Desert Sun investigation, published earlier this month. During an
interview for that investigation, Hestrin said he would consider abandoning the
pursuit of the death penalty in this case, which would allow the case to
proceed quicker, and for Martinez to return to Arizona sooner.

"He is incredibly dangerous because he is so bright," Hestrin said. "I would
like to get him out of our system and out of our jail. And one of the ways to
do that is to get this case to trial as quickly as possible."

Statements like that one led Sandi Martin, the window of Arizona Officer Bob
Martin, to expect local prosecutors would change course in the Martinez case.
On Monday, Martin said she was "surprised" when prosecutors confirmed they
would continue to pursue death.

"It sounded crazy to me," Martin said, adding later, "I thought they would
settle for life ... but I think they are erring on the side of caution. They
said they want to make sure they want a death penalty hanging over his head."

Martin said she was comforted by the fact that local prosecutors have assured
her they will not allow Martinez's local trial to delay his execution.
Prosecutors promised that, if Martinez's Arizona appeal is resolved before his
California trial is finished, he will be immediately sent back to Arizona for
execution regardless, Martin said.

Still, Martin said she was concerned that Martinez would remain in Riverside.

"He's dangerous no matter where he is at, but he's much more secure over here
(in Arizona) because he's on death row and not in a county jail," she said.
"That bothers me."

The quickest way for Riverside County to end the Martinez case would be for
prosecutors to simply drop the charges from the Blythe shooting. If this was
done, Singh's murder would remain technically unsolved, but Martinez would
immediately return to Arizona's death row, where he would await execution
without draining Riverside County funds.

Hestrin said earlier this month that, although dropping the charges would bring
a speedy end to Martinez's quagmire case, prosecutors would be shirking their
"obligation to seek justice."

Martinez has declined to be interviewed by The Desert Sun. During his latest
court hearing, on April 17, Martinez told a judge that he would like his case
to be transferred to the courthouse in Indio, but he does not mind being jailed
in Riverside.

"I'm housed here in Riverside," Martinez said. "All is well. Living the dream."

(source: The Desert Sun)

USA:

Don't expect executions to resume any time soon

When the U.S. Bureau of Prisons began the process of designating a federal
death row and execution chamber back in the early 1990s, the people of Terre
Haute were mostly ambivalent about the prospect of the local federal prison
being used for that purpose.

That casual, pragmatic acceptance of the possibility of death row being placed
here, combined with the rural prison's central geographic location within the
federal system, led the riverside site on the city's south side to become the
eventual choice.

Convicted Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh was executed by lethal injection
in June of 2001, the 1st federal prisoner put to death since capital punishment
was reinstituted in 1976. (The death penalty had been ruled unconstitutional in
1972.) Even during that high-tension period when the national and international
media descended on Terre Haute en masse to cover the event, the community
mostly remained stoic in the midst of the media atmospherics.

Since that 1st execution at the federal prison complex, it has become the place
where condemned inmates come to die, even though few actually have. Only others
have been executed here, one a week after McVeigh was put to death, and a
second in 2003. In 2010, with controversy over the death penalty swirling
nationwide, the U.S. Department of Justice effectively put a moratorium on
executions in the federal system while all policies and procedures of the
process are reviewed.

Today, there are 55 federal inmates on death row at the Terre Haute prison. But
no executions are scheduled. Don't expect them to resume any time soon.

The most recent federal inmate sentenced to death is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the
convicted Boston Marathon bomber. The 21-year-old native of Kyrgyzstan
conspired with his brother, Tamerlan, to detonate two powerful bombs loaded
with shrapnel near the finish line of the Boston Marathon in 2013. The blasts
killed 3 people and injured more than 200 others. While being pursued by police
in the days following the bombings, the brothers killed a campus police officer
at MIT. Tamerlan later was killed in a shootout with police, but Dzhokhar,
although injured, was eventually captured, tried and convicted of a host of
counts related to the bombings.

The imposition of the death sentence by a jury last week once again placed
Terre Haute and its federal prison in the limelight. We doubt the glow will
last for long. Tsarnaev and his attorneys aggressively fought the death penalty
and will undoubtedly appeal the sentence with equal vigor. Several of the
current death row inmates have been living under their sentences for more than
15 years, and it is not uncommon for capital punishment appeals to last a
decade or more.

If and when Tsarnaev is housed at the local penitentiary, he will be among the
more high-profile inmates on death row. Still, we doubt any future execution
could surpass the level of interest the McVeigh execution did.

Any fears that Terre Haute's image could somehow be defined, even tainted, by
the presence of the federal execution chamber have been quelled. Given how
things have evolved in the past 15 to 20 years, they are unlikely to re-emerge
in the future.

(source: Editorial, Terre Haute Tribune Star)

*****************

The Fetishization of Revenge

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has just been sentenced to death by a federal jury for his
role in the Boston Marathon bombings. The sentence has been met with a lot of
discomfort in Boston and the surrounding environs. Massachusetts is predisposed
to rejecting capital punishment as a general rule. Even in this case, where the
terror and horror hit so close to home, the people of Massachusetts are leery
of the death penalty.

And for good reason.

The application of the death penalty in the United States is rife with racism,
false guilt, and corruption. The nation is slowly but surely moving towards
abolishing the practice. But there are still many men (and a few women) on
death row, and it stands to statistical reasoning that at least some are
innocent. With an average of 4 people exonerated annually from death row, it's
impossible to believe some have not fallen through the cracks.

In light of the at best questionable guilt of many of the people facing
execution or already killed, trusting the United States to apply the death
penalty fairly requires a suspension of disbelief. This suspension of disbelief
is as follows: the United States has the right to put people to death and even
though it may have erred in the past, this time will be different. This time,
the United States is acting in accordance to its own rules and justice will be
served.

Unfortunately for that point of view, the US has proven again and again that it
has little to no understanding of or care for the rule of law when it comes to
acts of oppression against its own citizens. From surveillance to torture to
assassination, the US acts as it wishes in relation to its citizenry (to say
nothing of the rest of the world). In this light, it's not hard to see where
the American love affair with the death penalty comes from at the
administrative level.

What's even more disturbing is the fetishization of revenge that the American
people take part in by endorsing the government's right to kill its citizens.
Although support for the death penalty has fallen drastically in the last
twenty years, a plurality of Americans still support it outright and many-
paradoxically- support it with the caveat that it only be used on certain
criminals for certain crimes. And this support comes from the public, those
whose lives could be destroyed by false evidence or the whims of a prosecutor,
the desire of the government to send a message or simply a misled jury. It
boggles the mind.

Even in the case of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, there are inconsistencies. Tsarnaez's
guilt in the horrific attack on the Boston Marathon is not in question. He has
admitted his role and culpability. In fact, if there were a case that the death
penalty could be applied with little to no worry about innocence or questions
of justice, this might be it. But of course this is hardly the whole story

There are questions about how the jury reached the death sentence. The
Intercept's Murtaza Hussain has already written a thorough article detailing
the questionable practices of the judge in the case to force the jury to find
for death. The federal government, prosecuting the case, acted to stymy any
conceivable action by the defense to change the venue to one less emotionally
resonant than Boston.

Even in a case as open and shut as this, where the accused has admitted his
guilt, the government feels it is necessary to lie and prevaricate to garner
the public's support for killing. This should be a red flag for anyone still
holding out hope that the death penalty is a legitimate punitive measure as
applied by the government.

Support for the death penalty is support for the government having the power of
life and death over its citizenry. It's not a power the people should support,
especially when the government in question has as troubled a record with
legislative matters of life and death as the United States. Even when the
accused is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

(source: Eoin Higgins is a writer and historian from upstate New York. He is a
recent graduate of the Masters in History program at Fordham University's
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences----Huffington Post)

****************

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and America???s tortured death penalty system----The U.S.
participates in a ritual that every other advanced democracy has abandoned and
justice is rarely served

It took only 14 hours of deliberations for the 12-member jury tasked with
deciding the fate of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to pass down
their judgment. 7 women and 5 men, all hand-picked because of their openness to
capital punishment, concluded this past Friday that the 21-year old deserves
death on 6 of the 15 counts in which death was an option. The sentence has
ignited equal amounts of jubilation as it has anger. Some of the victims of the
2013 attack celebrated, others lamented the outcome.

The array of emotions on display at a downtown Boston courthouse reflected the
controversy surrounding this case, one in which a state that abolished the
death penalty 30 years ago played host to a federal trial that resulted in the
death penalty. The contradiction sits at the heart of the capital punishment
debate in America today and has touched off a firestorm centred around why
exactly the U.S continues to participate in a ritual that every other advanced
democracy has abandoned.

"Capital punishment in America today," writes sociologist David Garland in his
book, Peculiar Institution: America's Death Penalty in an Age of Abolition, "is
a story of a legal norm combined with its widespread evasion." The development
of the institution since the 19th century, he argues, has been a process of the
proceduralization of death ???not to terrorize onlookers with a spectacle of
suffering but to carry out the court's death sentence in an efficient, humane
manner." On the one hand, the majority of Americans demand retribution for the
most heinous crimes while on the other, a legal system must prove its liberal
democratic credentials, including its adherence to humanistic values.

The lengths to which the system will go to avoid executing a death row inmate
is astonishing. Of the 26 federal capital convictions since 1988, when the U.S.
Supreme Court lifted a moratorium on executions, only three have been carried
out. At the state level, besides Texas, executions are similarly rare. In
Tennessee, for instance, where a moratorium on executions was lifted in 2000,
more death row prisoners have died of natural causes than have been executed.
The likelihood that Tsarnaev will actually be executed is extremely low,
experts say.

Occasionally, the aversion to executing death row prisoners slips into the
surreal. In one case in Pennsylvania, a man convicted of murder in 2000 became
so distraught with the time it was taking to have his death sentence overturned
that finally, in 2009, he wrote a letter to the governor demanding his own
death. In a Kafkaesque twist, his state-appointed defence lawyers then had him
declared incompetent. As of last April, he was still demanding to die.

Advocates of abolishing the death penalty point out that the dysfunction in the
system undermines any notions of justice and retribution, and ultimately ends
up costing taxpayers more than putting a person behind bars for life. Moreover,
they argue, families must suffer through years of appeals that rehash the pain
of the crime, meaning the closure they were promised when the death penalty was
applied is never delivered.

The parents of Martin Richard, the youngest victim of the Boston marathon
bombing, made that point when they publicly opposed the death penalty for
Tsarnaev.

"We know that the government has its reasons for seeking the death penalty,"
they wrote in an open letter during Tsarnaev's trial, "but the continued
pursuit of that punishment could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving
the most painful day of our lives. We hope our 2 remaining children do not have
to grow up with the lingering, painful reminder of what the defendant took from
them, which years of appeals would undoubtedly bring."

Closure, they went on to argue, would mean life in prison with no possibility
of parole, which would allow Tsarnaev to "fade from our newspapers and TV
screens."

That remains a possibility, if the death sentence is overturned on appeal.
Alternatively, Tsarnaev's fate could hang in limbo for decades, caught in a
legal system committed to applying capital punishment but increasingly opposed
to implementing it. Why that system still exists at all is a mystery to many.

(source: macleans.ca)

**********************

Debate Bigs Battle on UWS and Death Penalty Wins Stunning Victory----Scheck vs
Blecker in a battle of rhetorical titans

Hell almost froze over on the Upper West Side of Manhattan the other night at a
2-hour debate on a measure whether to abolish the death penalty. The debate was
organized by Intelligence Squared, a non-profit, non-partisan group that has
sponsored more than 100 such discussions since 2006.

Lincoln Center's Merkin Hall was filled, in part because of the reputations of
2 of the 4 speakers. Barry Scheck was co-founder of the Innocence Project and a
member of O.J. Simpson's Dream Team defense. His main opponent, Robert Blecker,
a professor of criminal law at New York Law School and author of the book, The
Death of Punishment, is generally considered the nation's leading proponent of
the death penalty. Mr. Blecker had spent hundreds of hours inside the walls of
some of the nation's toughest prisons interviewing death-row inmates and those
condemned to life-without-parole.

Under Oxford Union-style rules, it would be the shift in audience attitudes -
as measured by pre-and-post debate electronic tabulators - that would determine
the winner.

The substance of the debate was familiar but passionately conveyed: Mr. Scheck
and his partner, Diann Rust-Tierney, Executive Director, National Coalition to
Abolish the Death Penalty, argued the death penalty was not an effective
deterrent to crime, that it was racially biased, and that there is too large a
risk of convicting - and executing - an innocent person. When Mr. Scheck
reminded the audience that George Will has instructed conservatives that
"Capital punishment is a government program, so skepticism is in order," the
audience responded with the enthusiasm a boxing crowd exhibits when seeing
first blood.

Mr. Blecker and his partner, Kent Scheidegger, Legal Director, Criminal Justice
Legal Foundation, argued the studies were flawed or biased, that there is risk
in every human (and government) endeavor, but that the risks were offset by
automatic appeals and capable legal representation all designed to ensure
against executing someone falsely convicted. Most importantly, the death
penalty must be reserved for the worst of the worst of the worst - justice
demanded it.

For most of the 2 hours the abolitionists seemed to have the upper hand,
pounding home the question: how much risk that we'd execute an innocent man was
acceptable? They cited the recent case of Cameron Todd Willingham, who was
executed in Texas for an arson murder - based on what now is acknowledged by
the state itself to be bogus arson evidence.

The recent conviction of the Boston Marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was
mentioned only by one debater, Barry Scheck, who pointed out that several of
the victims of the attack have called for sparing Tsanarev's life. The just
punishment, the abolitionists argue, is life without parole. That is a fate,
they repeat, that is worse than death itself.

But it was that very alternative punishment - life-without-parole ??? that
provided Mr. Blecker with the opening he seemed to be waiting for. Because he
responded with the flurry of evidentiary and rhetorical punches that brought
him back into the match.

For more than 10 of the 25 years Mr. Blecker has been given access inside
prisons, and he has been allowed to bring a video camera with him. And his
recordings of life behind the walls - at least for those serving life sentences
- are far different from the perceptions most of us have from watching Oz,
Prison Break, or Orange is the New Black. While not quite leading country-club
lives, prisoners serving life-without-parole often enjoy TVs in their cells,
craft rooms, music recording studios, generous commissary choices, organized
sports leagues and other privileges not normally associated with prison life.
Blecker described visiting prison and seeing Joshua Komisarjevsky - sentenced
to death for the rape and murder of 3 members of the Petit family in a horrific
home invasion in Cheshire, Connecticut - sitting on his bunk eating a Hershey
Bar while watching a ballgame on his personal TV set.

The final round in the debate allowed each participant to make a closing
statement. Barry Scheck pulled what seemed certain to be the trump card: he
asked 2 members of the audience to stand. 2 middle-age African-American men
stood, and Mr. Scheck introduced them. Both had been convicted of murder - 1
sentenced to death - and later exonerated by DNA evidence. Could anything
better bring to life the risks of executing an innocent man?

Mr. Blecker began his final rebuttal, and was gracious in his acknowledgement
of the exonerated men's innocence and travesty of justice. But he quickly
segued to his retributivist argument that "The past counts. It counts
independently of the future benefits that derive from our actions." Justice and
human dignity demand we honor the covenant with the dead, and he prodded the
audience: "You're upholding the victim. You're upholding a sense of justice.
You're upholding a sense of proportionality. You're ultimately upholding human
dignity." This brought forth the largest burst of applause that night.

Minutes later, the audience voted, and the result seemed to unbalance the
otherwise capable moderator, John Donvan of ABC News: he had to re-record his
concluding remarks twice. The winners were the pro-death penalty advocates, Mr.
Blecker and Mr. Scheidegger. Fully 40% of the post-debate audience said they
wanted to maintain the death penalty, up from only 17% before the discussion
began. Abolition was supported by 54% up from 49%. In fairness, a larger number
of the 400-plus people in Merkin Hall voted in favor of abolition. But under
the rules, it was the shift in the audience attitudes that determined the
winner.

As people left Lincoln Center, the shock of what they had witnessed dissipated
slowly. After all, this took place in the bluest of blue neighborhoods. Solid
thinking and well-argued advocacy had jarred political orthodoxy.

It didn't last long. 2 weeks after the live event, Intelligence Squared
released an edited version of the debate for NPR radio and podcast. And
although the website accurately reported the winner, 1 would never be able to
understand why based on the edited audio posted. In an apparent effort to allot
equal time to each participant, the editors excluded many of the most
convincing arguments made by Mr. Blecker and Mr. Scheidegger.

The edit was so obviously biased that an Intelligence Squared (IQ2) Board
member who had been in the audience and later heard the truncated poscast,
complained to the IQ2 management. He said it was a misrepresentation of what
really happened in Merkin Hall that night. Still, the editors refused to
re-edit the segment.

Under the guise of being "balanced", Intelligence Squared abandoned fairness.
Apparently, while the habitues of the famously liberal Upper West Side could
withstand the shock of contested conventional wisdom, a guardian for the larger
NPR audience could not.

(source: Opinion...Steve Cohen is an attorney at KDLM in New York;
observer.com)