[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, CONN., PENN., DEL., VA., FLA., ALA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun May 10 12:32:29 CDT 2015

May 10

TEXAS----impending execution

Appeals court refuses to stop execution set for next week

A federal appeals court has refused to stop next week's scheduled execution of
a Houston man condemned for the slayings of his girlfriend, her mother and
grandfather 13 years ago.

Derrick Dewayne Charles, 32, is set for lethal injection Tuesday.

Charles' lawyers argued to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that he is
mentally incompetent for execution and they need more time and money from the
courts to pursue their case. State attorneys argue there's no evidence Charles
is incompetent and that the issue was addressed and rejected in earlier rounds
of appeals.

An appeal related to the competency claim already is at the U.S. Supreme Court,
which has ruled inmates facing execution must be aware their punishment is
about to take place and understand why.

In its ruling late Friday, the 5th Circuit said even assuming Charles has some
form of mental illness, no evidence in his appeal "shows that he does not know
about his execution or that he does not rationally understand the reason for
it."

Charles was 19 and on parole in July 2002 when he was arrested a day after the
bodies of 15-year-old Myiesha Bennett; her 44-year-old mother, Brenda; and
77-year-old grandfather, Obie, were discovered at their Houston home. Police
found Charles at a Houston motel where Brenda Bennett's car was found.

Relatives said she wasn't happy about her daughter's relationship with Charles,
who had a lengthy juvenile record and was on parole from a 3-year prison
sentence for burglary.

He confessed to the slayings and at his May 2003 trial pleaded guilty to
capital murder charges. A Harris County jury decided he should be put to death.

According to court documents, Charles said he smoked marijuana soaked in
embalming fluid before the slayings, then hallucinated while committing the
killings.

The execution would be the 7th this year in Texas, the nation's busiest death
penalty state.

(source: Associated Press)

CONNECTICUT:

10 years after execution of Michael Ross, state's death penalty in limbo

Shortly after 2 a.m. on May 13, 2005, serial killer Michael Ross was executed
by lethal injection.

Ross had spent 18 years on death row, convicted of killing 4 teenage girls in
1983 and 1984. About a year before his execution, he changed from fighting
against it to fighting for it.

The change in his position cut short what threatened to be endless appeals, and
Ross became the 1st person executed in Connecticut in 45 years.

In the decade since then, no one else on the state's death row has come close
to sharing his fate, and, 3 years ago, the state abolished the death penalty
for murders committed after April 25, 2012. That's the date on which Gov.
Dannel P. Malloy signed a ban on capital punishment passed by the state
Legislature.

Griswold Selectman Steven Mikutel, a longtime former state legislator who
retired in 2014, voted against the repeal.

"The legislators gave the murderers life, and that wasn't justice," he said.
"Life imprisonment without parole is not a moral substitute for the death
penalty."

When legislators repealed the death penalty, however, they left the men already
on death row there. For many of them, that decision came mainly as a result of
a horrific 2007 home invasion in Cheshire in which a mother and her 2 daughters
were killed by a pair of paroled burglars, Steven Hayes and Joshua
Komisarjevsky.

The crime outraged the state, and both men were sentenced to death after 2
sensational trials. In fact, in 2011, then-state Sen. Edith Prague, D-Columbia,
told CT News Junkie: "They should bypass the trial and take that 2nd animal
(Komisarjevsky) and hang him by his penis from a tree out in the middle of Main
Street."

A year later, Prague voted in favor of the capital punishment repeal for new
murderers.

Now 11 convicted killers, including Hayes and Komisarjevsky, still face the
possibility of sharing Ross' fate.

"It's fundamentally unfair to prospectively abolish the death penalty," said
David McGuire, legislative and policy director of the American Civil Liberties
Union of Connecticut. "It's irrational and unfair to pick an arbitrary date."

In other states, such as Maryland, that abolished the death penalty
prospectively, governors commuted the death sentences of people on their death
rows, McGuire said. But Connecticut is 1 of only 3 states in which the governor
lacks that power.

"That leaves us in a unique situation," McGuire said.

A state Supreme Court case may offer clarity.

Eduard Santiago of Torrington was convicted of the 2000 slaying of Joseph
Niwinski. Santiago appealed his death sentence, and in June 2012, the state
Supreme Court overturned it, saying the trial judge had not let in significant
mitigating evidence. After a new trial, Santiago received a 45-year sentence
instead.

The high court also agreed to hear a 2nd argument in Santiago's case claiming
that because of the Legislature's repeal, the death penalty should not apply to
anyone.

"By repealing the death penalty prospectively, the General Assembly has, in
effect, sacrificed Santiago to end the death penalty for everyone," the ACLU of
Connecticut said in a friend-of-the-court brief in the case. "The Constitution
does not permit legislatures to make 'sacrificial lambs' of its citizenry."

Oral arguments were made in April 2013. The Supreme Court has not issued an
opinion in the 2 years since then.

Judicial branch spokeswoman Rhonda Stearley-Hebert said last week she did not
know when the court will issue its ruling.

"We're waiting for Santiago," said Michael Courtney, chief of the capital
defense unit at the Chief Public Defender's Office. "If that were decided in
our favor, that would end the death penalty."

All 11 men on death row are involved in some pending appeal, Courtney said.

"There's never any end to it. It just goes on and on and on," said Michael
Lawlor, state undersecretary for criminal justice planning and policy. Families
of victims, he said, face years of anxiety while litigation continues.

Lawlor said that as a practical matter unless one of the men on death row
fights to be executed as Ross did, execution is "extremely unlikely."

In fact, the state does not have the ability to execute anyone. The use of the
three drugs that were administered to execute Ross has been challenged in
court, and in 2011 the state put executions on hold until the challenges are
settled.

If the death penalty is ended, murderers would be sentenced instead to life in
prison without the possibility of release.

Courtney said that while inmates sentenced to life in prison can and do appeal
their sentences, "It wouldn't be the same as someone sentenced to death. The
appeals don't stop."

"Connecticut legislators did not reform the statute and make it a workable
law," Mikutel said. "They did their best to make it unworkable and allow
cold-blooded killers to have endless appeals. ... In my opinion, they walked
away from justice."

McGuire and other death penalty opponents say minorities and poor people
receive death sentences more often, death sentences don't deter future murders
and innocent people can be wrongly convicted.

Mikutel believes those arguments don't apply.

"We never did execute people in Connecticut willy-nilly," he said. "There were
so many safeguards in place that if there was any doubt at all, the death
penalty wouldn't be applied."

In any case, Ross fit none of the categories that death penalty foes use to
raise doubts about whether someone deserves execution. He was an insurance
salesman who worked in Norwich, lived in Jewett City and a graduate of
prestigious Cornell University.

There was no question of his guilt. He admitted kidnapping, strangling and, in
most cases, raping eight women and girls between 1981 and 1984. His victims
ranged in age from 14 to 25.

"I do believe justice was served in the Michael Ross case," Mikutel said.
"Michael Ross decided for himself that he deserved to be executed."

"There are some cases in which the public rightfully expects the maximum
penalty authorized by law to be imposed," Chief State's Attorney Kevin Kane,
who prosecuted Ross, said. "This was certainly one of them."

Ross' murders terrorized Eastern Connecticut for more than 2 years, Kane said.

Mikutel, whose district was the site of 3 of Ross' murders and who spoke to a
number of the family members of Ross' victims, said his execution did not bring
them peace.

"I still have memories of those victims," Mikutel said. "Those families have
never had closure. ... Those families' lives were destroyed."

"The best thing we can say is this chapter is closed, and the families can go
on with their lives," Kane said at the time of Ross' execution.

"They felt justice was served when Michael Ross was executed," Mikutel said. "I
want that clearly stated."

(source: Norwich Bulletin)

*******************

More work ahead in New Britain serial killer investigation

Watching detectives dig in the woods recently behind a Hartford Road plaza
where the remains of 3 women were left by a presumed serial killer, Chief
State's Attorney Kevin Kane admitted his mind was on the business at hand.

"No matter what label you put on them, each case is a separate case that has to
be investigated," Kane said. "They have to look at each case individually. The
fact that there is more than one means each case will have to be prosecuted.
They have to be ready to do that separately."

Kane is no stranger to prosecuting serial killers. He was assigned the task of
retrying Michael Ross, believed to be the state's most notorious and prolific
serial killer, in the penalty phase of his convictions.

Ross killed 6 women in the southeastern portion of the state at separate times,
leaving a swath of bodies and fear during his reign in the early 1980s. He
spent nearly 2 decades on death row before he requested that the state carry
out his punishment. He was executed in 2005.

As a regional task force investigating the New Britain serial murders prepares
to announce soon the findings of its 2-week excavation, a suspect, if
convicted, could face the death penalty for killing Joyvaline Martinez, Diane
Cusack and Mary Jane Menard. The women are believed to have been murdered in
2003, so their killer, if found, could face the death penalty. The state in
2013 repealed the death penalty, but it was in force when the 3 women were
murdered.

The state Supreme Court is deliberating a case on the very issue of whether the
change in the law only applies to the inmates currently on death row or if it
can be used against anyone who committed a capital felony prior to the repeal.

Kane was at the Hartford Road site to watch New Britain police, with help from
the FBI, dig up several acres behind a strip shopping center. They have not yet
said what they found.

Kane said Connecticut has had more than its share of designated "serial
killers," dating back to the 1950s.

Besides Ross, for instance, there was Joseph "Mad Dog" Taborsky, who killed
several people during a series of robberies in the 1950s in different towns,
including New Britain, Kane said. And then there was Pedro Miranda, who was
taken into custody at his New Britain home in December 2008, allegedly for
killing 3 young women in the late 1980s, including 1 who was a relative by
marriage.

New Britain Police Chief James Wardwell said his department sought the help of
the FBI in developing a behavioral profile for the suspect in the New Britain
serial killer case after the remains of the three women were found in 2007.

The FBI thought a young woman found dead in 1995 near a dumpster in the same
plaza was not connected to the 3 women who all disappeared in the summer or
fall of 2003. The agency turned out to be right. That woman's father was
arrested last year and is not a suspect in the serial killings.

Police have yet to say if they have a suspect. They're expected to release more
details about the additional remains found at the site during the 2-week search
in the next few days. They have not commented on whether the remains belong to
the three women or someone else.

Kane said ultimately, the task force and New Britain State's Attorney Brian
Preleski will have to prove not only who buried the remains at the location,
but if that person also killed the 3 women.

"You can prove who buried those bodies, but you also have to prove what and who
caused their deaths," Kane said. "This investigation still has a lot of work to
do."

(source: The Bristol Press)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Execution anniversary spotlights Wolf action

20 years ago this month, Pennsylvania marked the 1st state execution of a
convicted murderer after a hiatus that had lasted 1/3 of a century.

Keith Zettlemoyer, 39, of Snyder County, became the 1st person to die by lethal
injection in Pennsylvania on May 2, 1995, and he became the 1st to be executed
in this state since 1962. Zettlemoyer had been sentenced to death for shooting
and killing Sunbury radio newsman Charles DeVetsco in 1980, a friend of his and
prospective witness against him in a burglary trial. Pennsylvania had enacted a
law reinstating the death penalty in 1978, followed by a law in 1990 changing
the method of execution from the electric chair to lethal injection.
Zettlemoyer had appealed his conviction for years. But after Gov. Tom Ridge
signed a death warrant shortly after taking office that January, the death row
inmate changed his mind.

Zettlemoyer told a federal judge at a hearing in U.S. District Court in
Scranton that he didn't want to fight the sentence anymore.

"I'm in the position I wish to be," he said, according to a Harrisburg
Patriot-News report about that hearing. "In a few days' time, I'll die a
peaceful, quiet death that will be satisfying to me."

Even so, his execution was delayed for several minutes on that final night due
to the possibility of a last-minute stay from the U.S. Supreme Court.

In his last statement, Zettlemoyer said, "I ask that the people of Pennsylvania
and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania please accept my 14 years of imprisonment
and my execution now as all of my debts to society paid in full."

On the night of Zettlemoyer's execution, death penalty protesters held vigils
outside the State Correctional Institution at Rockview in Centre County and
near the governor's residence in Harrisburg.

Several of the official witnesses to the execution said they wondered why it
took so long to execute Zettlemoyer.

Ridge issued a statement shortly after the execution saying, "Nearly 15 years
ago, Keith Zettlemoyer brutally murdered his friend Charles DeVetsco. May Keith
Zettlemoyer's soul rest in peace. May the soul of Charles DeVetsco now rest in
peace"

Pennsylvania executed 2 more death row inmates after Zettlemoyer. In both
cases, the condemned men had given up on their appeals. No executions have
taken place in Pennsylvania since 1999.

The memory of Zettlemoyer's crime and execution has faded as Pennsylvania once
again debates capital punishment. Gov. Tom Wolf issued a moratorium on use of
the death penalty shortly after he took office in January. He said he wants to
hear the recommendations of a legislative panel studying capital punishment.
District attorneys are challenging the legality of the moratorium in the state
Supreme Court.

(source: Citizens Voice)

DELAWARE:

House panel should allow vote on death penalty bill

Growing up, I frequently heard how the defining feature of our democracy is the
principle that each of us, or those who represent us, have a vote.

Whether you were for or against, at the end of the day we all had our voices
heard.

On Wednesday, the state of Delaware has a committee meeting that will put this
principle to the test.

At 11 a.m., the House Judiciary Committee will hear testimony on Senate Bill
40, a bill to replace the death penalty with life in prison without the
possibility of parole. The meeting will assuredly have vigorous debate on all
sides.

I do not hope to convince anyone of the need to support or oppose the bill, but
rather to voice the necessity to uphold the principle each of us grew up with.

We all deserve a vote, even if we disagree.

The purpose of our General Assembly's committees is to decide which bills
"merit" discussion among the full body.

In effect, our committee members are the prime stewards of our democracy. They
select which pieces of legislation deserve a vote and which ones do not.

Judging by the articles and letters I have read in the news concerning SB 40,
it is clear that this bill has generated significant discussion in every
district across the state, and that it meets the criteria for legislation
deserving a vote.

Out of 41 Delaware Representatives, our House Judiciary Committee has 11
sitting members who, by serving on this committee, also represent all of us in
Delaware.

The 11 Representatives can choose to "favorably" or "unfavorably" vote a bill
out of committee, showing their opinion on a bill while at the same time
allowing the bill to receive a full debate on the House floor.

Alternatively, the committee members can choose to leave the bill in committee
and prevent a full vote.

These Representatives have the challenging obligation to represent their values
and constituents, while also acting as a committee member to the citizens of
Delaware to decide which pieces of legislation are allowed to move on through
the legislative process.

I believe the diverse response, both for and against, over the last few years
from people throughout every county and from leaders of our faith communities,
demonstrates the clear need for all of Delaware to have their voices heard.

Something as important as SB 40 should be discussed and reviewed by all those
we chose to elect.

In a time when our Congress appears to be reaching record-levels of
dysfunction, Delaware has been a breath of fresh air. It seems we uphold a
higher level of the democratic process, which is why some individuals on the
House Judiciary Committee will have a tough decision. Those members of the
committee who disagree with SB 40 will have to decide: In Delaware, do we let
our own decisions override the process, or do we let a vote happen even if we
disagree?

I believe the time has come for members of the committee to allow this bill
out, even unfavorably.

When the day comes and the bill reaches the floor, all of Delaware will respect
your decision to vote either way.

On Wednesday, as Representatives for all of Delaware's citizens, it is time to
allow this bill to be considered among the whole House of Representatives.

(source: Commentnary; Drew Serres is the Organizer for Delaware Americans for
Democratic Action (Delaware ADA)----The News Journal)

**********************

No mistake about it, murderers should die

Our political and judicial leaders have squandered $200,000 on a study of the
obvious how to reduce the murder rate. Now they are pushing to end the death
penalty.

The Why? The War on Poverty threw the poor man out of the house. In the
generations since poor men have not had to support their children and have
rejected the education offered to them. High paying jobs for the functionally
illiterate have gone to China and Mexico. Drug dealing gangs have replaced the
father.

Why Wilmington? Delaware politicians and the judiciary have flushed the 10,000
year old evolving concept that criminal law was to protect the innocent from
the harmful. Protective law has been replaced by nonsense like Restorative
Justice, patting a thug on the head and saying be a good boy. Magistrates let
felons caught with guns and drugs out with little or no bail to return to crime
within hours. Prosecutors drop gun charges for a meaningless pleas to minor
crimes resulting in little time served. Judges give little time served to
prevent overcrowded prisons. Several years ago a study showed 160 shooters or
victims' in their early 20s averaged 20 convictions each but none were in
prison. Does Delaware's judicial system work to protect the innocents?

Our Chief Justice showed his bias in his Martin Luther King Day speech
referring to ratios of race between population and in prison as if it meant
something. Is there a single person in a Delaware jail due to race rather than
their crime? Giving that kind of a speech he should drop his $1,500 robe and
$70,000 office renewal to don white grease paint and a big cherry nose for the
clown that he made himself.

The How? Put felons away for long times or execution. The arguments against the
death penalty have become ridicules. It is too expensive? The drugs cost less
than $500. The expense is 25 years of legal games having nothing to do with
guilt or innocence. The Public Defender whines about the cost of death defense
and the chance of killing the innocent. No one wants to kill innocents. There
are those for whom the guilt for horrid crimes is not in doubt. Execute the
guilty this year and use their defense money for those where there is doubt.

Execution is not a deterrent? Absolutely true. Lawyers making that argument are
the ones causing the delays. The next person executed will have been convicted
before the next person sentenced to die was born. It doesn't have to be this
way. In the 1950s, Charles Starkweather was executed less than a year after
conviction. The "In Cold Blood" murders in less than 6 years.

In a speech several years ago the public defender showed himself remembering
when he got a thug a reprieve from execution. The PD said he cursed the judge
for the sentence and condemned the jury for their decision. He never expressed
the slightest condemnation for the crime and no remorse for the victim or
family. That speech showed he didn't give a damn how many innocent people are
killed. They don't live in his neighborhood. He's just doing a job.

Life without parole is a joke. A governor can commute any time he wants. Our
governor commuted a death sentence for a supposed reformed thug. Later, we
learn that the he was suing the State to get pornography. Some reform. In
Florida and California overcrowded prison cases have released lifers.

Prison provides tax paid 3 meals a day, free medical care, even sex change
operations. If the thug is a gang banger, his gang will protect him and provide
illegal drugs.

In August 1969 a gang killed 7 people. Their death penalties were commuted.
Advocates for Susan Atkins called for her release knowing she slaughtered
Sharon Tate and unborn son while the actress pleaded for her baby. Tex Watson
fathered 4 children while in prison even though he obliterated Abagail Folger's
head so violently that it bent a pistol barrel. The illegals immigrants who
killed the Del State students are living in New Jersey in far better conditions
than if they had been extradited.

There are people who are so violent and crimes so horrible that execution just
and proper. There is one more very good reason for keeping the death penalty.
What more can the law do to a lifer who kills a guard or escapes and kills
innocents?

(source: Opinion; Vaughn E. Whisker is a Wilmington resident----The News
Journal)

***************************

End the death penalty

Put an end to the death penalty

Many murders are the result of emotional outbursts ending in deadly force. And,
for many, support for the death penalty is also an emotional outburst that
demands equal restitution justified by a need for closure, or driven by false
hopes of creating a safer world. Both actions feed the same parking meter.
Whether the taking of life is deemed a criminal act or the execution of a trial
verdict, emotionally charged responses devalue human life.

A society that values the life of a loved one and devalues the life of a person
who takes the life of a loved one is a society that loves situationally. If the
taking of life is heinous when involving a loved one, why is it not also
heinous when involving the life of the offender?

Executing a person who took the life of another only perpetuates a slippery
slope. It becomes easy to rationalize the taking of human life when an offender
is cast as inhuman and demonized. In so doing, we become the same on some level
and lose our own humanity. Who will end the cycle? Needed is the humanitarian
view - persons who rise above the emotional undercurrent and say "Stop the
taking of life." Persons who model grace and forgiveness. Persons who refuse to
become what the offender has become - a taker of life.

This does not mean the offender is free to go. It does not mean the debt to
society is waived. It means the penalty for taking life will not be "take more
life."

I have experienced the tragic loss of a family member. His life was taken with
undeniable cruelty. Yet, I support death penalty repeal. I choose to break free
of the emotional undercurrent. I will not be swept further away from the shore
of the humanitarian perspective. I will not feed the same parking meter. I
affirm that "All life is sacred."

Dennis L. Marshall

Pastor of Chippey AUM Church

Hockessin

(source: Letter to the Editor, The News Journal)

VIRGINIA:

Virginia bishops on the death penalty: We're having the wrong debate

As discussions surrounding a "more humane" death penalty in the United States
continue, the 2 Catholic bishops of Virginia have released a statement asking
the faithful to take a stance against the use of capital punishment in today's
society.

"By ending the use of the death penalty we would take 1 important step - among
significant others we must take - to abandon the culture of death and embrace
the culture of life," Bishops Paul S. Loverde of Arlington and Francis X.
DiLorenzo of Richmond said in a May 6 statement released by the Virginia
Catholic Conference.

Their statement comes after the Supreme Court recently heard arguments in a
case challenging Oklahoma's use of drugs for lethal injection as a violation of
the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Several states have also been discussing means of execution for death row
inmates. Last year, the Virginia General Assembly considered legislation that
would have allowed pharmacies to create drugs used for lethal injections
without disclosure to the public. Another measure proposed that if lethal drugs
were not available, death row inmates would be executed by electrocution
instead.

To these issues, the bishops responded, "We should no longer debate which
inmates we execute or how we execute them. Instead, we should debate this: If
all human lives are sacred and if a civilized society such as ours can seek
redress and protect itself by means other than taking a human life, why are we
continuing to execute people?"

They went on to reference Pope Francis' March letter to Federico Mayor,
president of the International Commission against the Death Penalty, in which
the Pope strongly spoke out against capital punishment, saying that ???there is
no humane way of killing another person."

"Let us not choose whether to use lethal drugs, electric chairs, gas chambers,
or firing squads. Let us take the more courageous step and choose life instead,
even when it seems 'unlovable,'" the bishops wrote in response to Pope Francis'
comments.

The belief "that the poor and vulnerable have the first claim on our
consciences," the bishops said, is seen "in our opposition to abortion and
euthanasia, and in our responsibility to welcome immigrants and refugees."

"But our faith also challenges us to declare sacred even the least lovable
among us, those convicted of committing brutal crimes which have brought them
the ultimate penalty, the penalty of death."

The Virginia bishops quoted a 2005 U.S. Bishops' statement on the matter saying
that, "No matter how heinous the crime, if society can protect itself without
ending a human life, it should do so."

Bishops Loverde and DiLorenzo acknowledged that this teaching "challenges many
people, including ourselves," especially in light of the violent crimes for
which those on death row have been sentenced.

However, they emphasized, "The death penalty does not provide true healing for
those who mourn, nor does it embody the Gospel of Life, which each of us is
called to affirm even in the most difficult circumstances."

(source: Catholic News Agency)

FLORIDA:

Ruling Could Affect Fla. Death Row Sentencing

Robert "Bam" McCloud has been on death row for nearly 3 years since a circuit
judge ordered he should be executed for his part in a brutal, home-invasion
robbery in which t2 witnesses were killed execution style.

The death sentence came 6 months after a jury recommended by a vote of 8-4 that
McCloud should receive the death penalty.

The process of sentencing McCloud and other death penalty defendants in the
state, which has the second-highest number of people on death row in the
country, will be in question later this year when the U.S. Supreme Court
considers whether the state's sentencing guidelines are constitutional.

"It has the potential to have a major impact in Florida," said Rex Dimmig,
public defender for the 10th Judicial Circuit of Florida. "If the Supreme Court
determines it (sentencing guidelines) is unconstitutional then they will decide
if it should be retroactive."

The case before the court - Hurst, Timothy v. Florida - is about a man who was
sentenced to death for killing a co-worker at a Popeye's restaurant in
Pensacola in 1998. Hurst robbed the store and stabbed a woman numerous times
with a box cutter.

The jury voted 7-5 to recommend Hurst should be executed. That recommendation
then went to a judge who sentenced Hurst to death.

The Florida Supreme Court upheld the conviction in 2014.

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear the case and now arguments are set for
the fall. Final briefs on the case are expected to be submitted in July.

A decision on the case should be made in spring 2016.

The Florida Supreme Court has voiced support for a unanimous vote during the
sentencing phase of the death penalty and urged lawmakers to change the law.

Defense attorney Byron Hileman has tried about 30 death penalty cases in Polk
County.

Hileman echoed Dimmig's comments.

"The entire structure of the death penalty in this state could be ruled
unconstitutional," Hileman said. "We'd have to start all over again."

ARIZONA CASE

In a 2002 case, Ring v. Arizona, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that a jury must
find any aggravating factors necessary to sentence a defendant, not a judge,
said Bruce Jacob, a professor at Stetson University College of Law.

In Florida, the jury is selected for a penalty phase to decide the question of
whether a defendant should receive life imprisonment or the death penalty.
Prosecutors argue specific statutory requirements, called aggravating
circumstances, for a death sentence.

The jury makes a recommendation to a judge, who is required to give the jury's
recommendation "great weight," according to Florida law.

The Supreme Court justices could retroactively open all previous non-unanimous
cases since the Ring decision if they rule in favor of Hurst.

Since 2002, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on the Ring case, seven Polk
juries have recommended the death penalty. Tavares Wright waived a jury
recommendation.

The jury returned with unanimous verdicts in the cases of Harold Blake, Mark
Poole and Leon Davis.

In 2010, a jury recommended in an 8-4 vote that Gary Glisson should die. The
State Attorney's Office agreed to waive the death penalty in the Glisson case
to avoid a defense request for a new trial.

Currently, 15 people from Polk County are on death row.

State Attorney Jerry Hill said if the Supreme Court overturns the guidelines
retroactive from 2002, he will seriously consider having new penalty phase
trials for each case. "The fact that you have to prove aggravators, and you
have to have a significant majority voting for death, there are a number of
checks and balances in place," Hill said.

"It's a shame to have a review."

Hurst's lawyers have argued that juries in the state should be unanimous before
an inmate is sentenced.

"Because it is so utterly irreversible, the citizens should speak with a single
clear voice that death is the only appropriate punishment for the crime this
defendant has committed," Assistant Public Defender David Davis wrote in a 2013
petition to the state Supreme Court. "That clarity comes only with a unanimous
vote, and not the 7-5 one in this case."

FLORIDA LEGISLATURE

Many of the 32 states that still use the death penalty changed sentencing
guidelines to require a unanimous verdict after the Ring decision.

Florida did not.

For years since, Dimmig said, he's traveled to Tallahassee to lobby legislators
to change the sentencing guidelines.

He went to Tallahassee again this year, but a bill didn't make it out of any
committees.

Florida is the only state in the country that allows a jury to have seven votes
for a recommendation of death. There are 394 death row inmates in Florida.

(source: The Ledger)

*******************

Defense lawyer seeks to move death penalty murder trial out of Jacksonville

A Jacksonville man facing a potential death sentence is asking that his murder
trial be moved out of Jacksonville because of the media attention the case
generated.

Lawyers for Randall Deviney say their client cannot get a fair trial in
Jacksonville because of the attention the case generated from The Florida
Times-Union and multiple television stations. Deviney, 25, is accused of
slitting the throat of 65-year-old Delores Futrell.

The case has been covered since 2008, when Deviney was arrested. Deviney was
previously convicted of Futrell's murder and sentenced to death by Circuit
Judge Mallory Cooper, but that conviction and death sentence were thrown out by
the Florida Supreme Court.

Justices ruled that police should have stopped questioning Deviney after he
repeatedly told them he was done speaking.

Police ignored those comments and kept questioning him, and Deviney eventually
confessed to killing Futrell.

That videotaped confession was shown to jurors at trial.

In his motion for a change of venue, defense attorney Jim Hernandez argued that
the new jury is not supposed to know about Deviney's previous murder conviction
or the fact that he confessed to the crime. But the conviction and confession
have been repeatedly reported by Jacksonville media.

"Psychological data concerning the effects of pretrial publicity on juror
verdicts strongly suggest that potential jurors exposed to negative pretrial
publicity are significantly more likely to judge a defendant guilty compared to
jurors exposed to less or no negative pretrial publicity," Hernandez said in
his motion to move the trial. "Because of this, defendant fears that he cannot
and will not receive a fair trial by state and federal constitutional standards
based upon the massive adverse pre-trial publicity this case has, and continues
to generate."

Hernandez is also asking Cooper to sequester jurors during the case. If the
judge grants that motion, the jury would likely stay in a hotel during the
trial and would not be allowed to read any newspapers or watch any television
that might expose them to related news reports.

"Even if an untainted jury is able to be selected from Duval County, it would
be highly unlikely, and almost impossible, that the jury selected would avoid
prejudicial contact with other residents unfamiliar with this case," Hernandez
said in his motion.

Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda said his office will oppose moving
the case out of Jacksonville and sequestering the jury.

"We've had cases, with quite frankly more pretrial publicity, where we were
able to select a jury in Jacksonville without sequestering them," de la Rionda
said.

The fact that jurors might have heard about the case doesn't automatically
disqualify them, as long as they can keep an open mind and promise to base
their decision only on what is introduced in court, he said.

It has been 16 years since a trial was moved out of Jacksonville. The last one
was in 1999, when the murder trial of Joshua Phillips was moved to Bartow in
Polk County. Phillips was convicted of killing 8-year-old Maddie Clifton and
sentenced to life in prison.

Attorneys representing Michael Dunn, accused of murdering 17-year-old Jordan
Davis, asked to move his trial out of Jacksonville last year. But Circuit Judge
Russell Healey said he would try to pick a jury in Jacksonville first, that
jury was seated and Dunn was eventually convicted and sentenced to life.

Pretrial publicity could still be a factor in Dunn's appeal, which is now
pending before the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee.

Hernandez conceded that Dunn's case generated more attention than Deviney's
has, but he said this case is different.

"Dunn got a lot of publicity, but he hadn't been convicted of the crime
already," Hernandez said.

Deviney's trial is scheduled to begin in July, although that could change.
Cooper will likely hold a hearing sometime in the next month to determine
whether the trial will be moved or the jury will be sequestered.

(source: Florida Times-Union)

ALABAMA:

Ala Grandma to Get Life or Death in Girl's Running Death

A judge must decide whether to sentence an Alabama woman to life or execution
by lethal injection for the killing of her 9-year-old granddaughter, who
prosecutors say died after being forced to run for hours for telling a lie.

Etowah County Circuit Judge Billy Ogletree scheduled a sentencing hearing for
Monday afternoon for Joyce Hardin Garrard, 50.

Jurors who convicted Garrard of capital murder in March recommended a sentence
of life without parole in the February 2012 death of Savannah Hardin. Garrard
was convicted of killing her granddaughter by making her run for hours as
punishment for a lie about candy.

Prosecutors sought the death penalty but said they were satisfied with the
jury's suggestion of life after the trial.

But the jury's recommendation came on a 7-5 vote, and Ogletree could still
sentence the woman to death by lethal injection under Alabama law.

A study by the Montgomery-based Equal Justice Initiative found that Alabama
judges in capital cases have overridden jury recommendations more than 100
times since 1976, and 92 percent of those decisions overruled life
recommendations to impose death.

Neither prosecutors nor defense attorneys responded to interview requests
before Garrard's sentencing.

Deputy District Attorney Marcus Reid had asked jurors to recommend the death
penalty following the conviction.

"This case is the only case I know of where the perpetrator forced the victim
to participate in her own death," he told jurors. "Joyce Garrard forced
Savannah Hardin to help kill herself."

But the defense and relatives pleaded for life, and Garrard told jurors she
didn't mean to harm the girl. Garrard testified that she was actually helping
Savannah, who wanted to do better in foot races at school.

"(Savannah) asked me to coach her. Instead of coming in second in her running
class at school she wanted to come in first," said Garrard.

Testimony showed that the child collapsed and vomited outside her rural home
following an afternoon of running and carrying sticks, and she died several
days later in a hospital after doctors removed her from life support.

(source: Associated Press)

*********************

How Anthony Ray Hinton survived 30 years on death row

Anthony Ray Hinton was 1 of 10, born to a hard-praying woman. Rich in mouths to
feed, but not much more, Beulah Hinton didn't doubt that this boy among her
many would find his way.

She pointed him to the heavens, he said, instructing him to believe always.
"God can do everything but fail," she'd say.

And so, in the sterile, pent-up misery that is Alabama's death row, he'd
believe.

Mark 11:24 was his favorite: "Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye
desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."

On April 3, Anthony Ray Hinton walked free, prosecutors dropping the charges -
the U.S. Supreme Court had ordered a retrial - that he'd killed 2 men in a
Birmingham area fast food managers in 1985. The bullets didn't match up beyond
a doubt, the state said.

Hinton, who'd awaited execution for 30 long years, was 58.

The heavens being a long way off now, he expects to visit Beulah's grave today,
Mothers Day. She died in 2002. He's bringing flowers.

"I breathe fresh air now," he said. "I feel good about myself now."

He is graying, but forgiving.

'Truth would come out'

When he left Alabama death row, only 8 fellow inmates - of nearly 200 -
remained who had been there longer than Hinton.

"You have nothing to do but read your Bible," Hinton said. "I knew if I prayed
that the truth would come out. If it didn't then it is my understanding of the
Scripture it would make God a lie."

His faith was so strong, he said, that he left his TV, deodorant, the book
"Life of Pi", and a pair of tennis shoes to other death row inmates when he
transferred to the Jefferson County jail to await his retrial.

"I knew I wasn't coming back," he said.

Hinton had been convicted of capital murder in the shooting deaths of Thomas
Vason and John Davidson. But, in an turn of events that must have seemed
providential, new lab testing couldn't pin the killing bullets to the gun found
at the home that Hinson that shared with his mother.

Hinton described his prosecution and incarceration as a state-sanctioned
"kidnapping." He said that prosecutors could have known the truth with bullet
testing back in the '90s.

If prosecutors had retested the gun when they were first asked in the late
1990s, they would have saved taxpayers 16 years of expenses keeping him on
death row, Hinton said.

"I knew all along that it was going to come back in my favor because I never
killed anyone. I never used a gun in my life."

Ultimately, the order granting Hinton a new trial came down to the fact that
the ballistics expert hired by his defense for his 1986 trial wasn't qualified
and was blind in one eye. His attorney wasn't aware of new state rules at the
time that would have allowed the hiring of a better expert.

Still, he said, forgiveness is a "no-brainer." A higher court will decide
what's right and just.

"The same God that freed me will be the same God who will judge those that
kidnapped me and had every intention of killing me," Hinton said.

Hinton stands 6 foot, 2 inches tall. He weighs nearly 240 pounds. His home on
Death Row at Holman prison was a small white concrete cell with a toilet.
Guards' eyes were always close by.

"Death row is the same everyday - breakfast at 3 a.m., lunch at 10 a.m., dinner
at 3 p.m.," Hinton said.

When they were lucky, death row inmates got an hour a day on the exercise yard,
weather conditions or guard availability permitting.

"You want to make every minute of that count," he said.

For him and the other condemned, the yard brought a chance to talk without
walls in the way.

The other hours, Hinton said, he passed reading and watching TV. He's a fan of
Auburn football, the Knicks, Yankees and the Oakland Raiders. Death row has no
cable TV, he said, so he listened to Auburn's 2010 National Championship game
on the radio. Sometimes the inmates would bet something like a soda, or require
a certain number of pushups, on which team would win, Hinton said.

There are more Alabama football fans than Auburn ones on death row, Hinton
said. "Most people will jump on a winner," he said.

He said he woke up each day trying to find something to laugh about.

It would get up in your nostrils," Anthony Ray Hinton on the smell of burned
flesh after a death row execution.

"I don't believe that man was built to be put in a 5-by-7 for 30 years and have
his sanity when he comes out if he doesn't find something to escape," Hinton
said.

But there are only 3 escapes from death row: loosed by the law, hauled out on a
gurney, or traveling in the mind's eye.

"I went to Paris, I went to France, I went to England, I went to Ireland. In my
mind I can go wherever I wanted to go," Hinton said. He said, "I left death row
every day."

He said, "What the next man did, I couldn't tell you. It was harder for me
because I was there for something I know I didn't do."

Times of sadness

In Hinton's time on death row, Alabama executed 53 inmates.

"I had been next to guys for 10 or 15 years. It's like losing a member of your
family," Hinton said.

"They take a person that they done fed, clothed, provided just the basic
medical care for and then they turn around and kill them. It's just like a
slaughterhouse.

"So what do you say to a person who is going to their death? Normally we would
just say, 'Hang in there, keep your hope up', because there is hope until the
very last second."

Back before lethal injection, when the state did its killing at midnight in the
electric chair, he'd see vans ferrying families and witnesses to the death
chamber. He and the other inmates would clang on the bars, wishing for the
doomed man to hear them when the final minutes arrived.

"The next morning we could most definitely tell the execution took place
because you could smell his flesh burned. .. It would get up in your nostrils,"
Hinton said.

Hinton never was given an execution date, although he believes that it would be
closing in now, perhaps in 2 or 3 years, had not the U.S. Supreme Court
overturned his conviction.

He said that he never thought about a last meal. His faith, he said wouldn't
allow him to go in that direction.

Hinton knows that there are inmates on death row deserving punishment. But not
strapped, at the last, to a hot chair or poked with a pitiless needle. "They'll
tell you they didn't actually do the killing - firing the gun - but they was
there," Hinton said.

Hinton was the 152nd U.S. death row inmate to be freed or exonerated since
1973, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

He gives credit to the Equal Justice Initiative, led by Bryan Stevenson.

"If you don't have faith, somehow find faith in God and pray he send EJI to
your rescue," Hinton said. "I know now the state plays a mean game, a dirty
game. So you need someone who can stand up for those things."

EJI is a private non-profit group that provides legal representation to poor
defendants and prisoners who have been denied fair and just treatment in the
legal system. The group was founded by its executive director Bryan Stevenson.

On the outside

One of the biggest adjustments that Hinton said he has had to make is "just
being free" and being able to go outside at night.

He's living now with a childhood friend, Lester Bailey. Last week, Hinton
received a driver's license. He said he made a 93 on the test. "Now maybe
somebody will let me drive their car," he said.

All the new faces, and new freedoms, are difficult to process, he said, after
decades of confinement. "You find yourself staring at people thinking that they
may be staring at you," Hinton said.

New technologies are also a shock.

Still, he said, "Everybody who has recognized me has been very supportive or
sympathetic. I've even had people apologize to me for what the system did to
me."

On his first grocery list were pork chops, collard greens, cornbread, macaroni
and cheese, potato salad and red velvet cake.

He said his legal team will decide the issue of pursing compensation from the
state.

His biggest disappointment, Hinton said, was that no judge or prosecutor turned
up at his release to declare that he'd been wronged. Justice system leaders had
swarmed the cameras when he was tried and convicted, he said.

"What I would like people to know that I was innocent," he said. "I was
innocent 30 years ago just as I was innocent 30 years later."

Hinton said for now he wants to adapt into society and be independent. "I think
I would make someone a great employee."

(source: al.com)