[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat May 2 11:52:43 CDT 2015

May 2

USA:

The weirdest moment from the Supreme Court's dramatic death penalty arguments

The Supreme Court heard a case Wednesday challenging the use of a lethal
injection "cocktail" in Oklahoma, and the arguments bordered on the ridiculous.

Right away, conservative Justice Samuel Alito accused death penalty activists
of mounting "a guerilla war on the death penalty."

Then Chief Justice John Roberts suggested his liberal colleague Justice Sonia
Sotomayor spent too much time talking after she grilled Oklahoma's solicitor
general for a while.

One point, however, stands out as the most absurd: the prisoner's lawyer Robin
Konrad somehow concluded that burning someone alive "could perhaps be deemed
constitutional," if there "was a way to ensure" that it was done in a "humane
way," as Politico's Josh Gerstein noted. That was the lawyer arguing against
Oklahoma's lethal injection methods.

In the case, 4 Oklahoma inmates - although 1 has since been executed - allege
that the state's use of midazolam as the 1st of 3 drugs in a lethal injection
cocktail violates the Eight Amendment, which prohibits cruel and unusual
punishment.

The 1st drug in lethal injection cocktails is meant to render prisoners
unconscious and unable to feel. But midazolam, as critics argue, doesn't always
accomplish that goal. When Ohio used midazolam for the 1st time in early 2014
to execute Dennis McGuire, he struggled and gasped for air for nearly 10
minutes before his heart stopped. Arizona also used midazolam in Joseph Wood's
lethal injection. It took nearly 2 hours for him to die.

Not only is midazolam's effectiveness in question, it might also cause
unbearable physical pain. During arguments Wednesday, Justice Elena Kagan
compared being injected with the drug to being burned alive at the stake, which
"everybody agrees [is] cruel and unusual," she said.

"So suppose that we said, we're going to burn you at the stake, but before we
do, we're going to use an anesthetic of completely unknown properties and
unknown affects. Maybe you won't feel it, maybe you will. We just can't tell.
And you think that would be okay?" Kagan inquired.

That led to a back-and-forth between Kagan and Oklahoma's solicitor general.
The issue of burning somebody alive came up again during Konrad's rebuttal,
when Alito posed a hypothetical scenario: Even if the person being burned alive
could feel no pain, would it still violate the Eighth Amendment?

Konrad responded that it "could be" a violation, prompting yet another question
from Alito.

"But you're not sure that being burned alive - that you think there are
circumstances in which burning somebody at the stake would be consistent with
the Eighth Amendment?" Alito asked.

That prompted a response from Konrad that seemed to contradict itself: "Well,
what I'm saying is that this Court has - the founders say burning at the stake
is unconstitutional. It creates an Eighth Amendment violation. It's cruel and
unusual. But in your hypothetical, if there was a way to ensure that that was
done in a humane way, there could perhaps be. That - I don't think that any
State would go to try to do that, because we move forward evolving ..."

"That's an incredible answer," Alito responded. "You think that there are
circumstances in which burning alive would not be a violation of the Eight
Amendment?"

It's an odd exchange for a conservative justice and lawyer arguing against the
death penalty to have.

Most states had previously used pentobarbital, a drug approved for executions,
in lethal injections - until its Danish manufacturer refused to continue
selling the drug to the US because of its use in the death penalty.

Former Attorney General Eric Holder, who admitted he opposes the death penalty,
called for a national halt on lethal injection until the high court decided
midazolam's relationship with the Eight Amendment.

As a result of the Supreme Court's impending opinion, Oklahoma has suspended
executions. The state, however, reinstated the use of the gas chamber to
execute criminals in early April, a process only legal in four other states
currently. Florida has also also suspended executions using midazolam until the
Supreme Court's ruling.

(source: businessinsider.com)

***************

No, Justices Alito and Scalia, death penalty politics aren't the issue

Oral arguments before the Supreme Court earlier this week over Oklahoma's
lethal-injection protocol took an unusually harsh tone (which Dahlia Lithwick
parses nicely here at Slate). What was more jarring, though, was the theme of
statements - er, questions - by some of the judges about the backdrop to the
execution challenge.

The case involves 1 of the drugs Oklahoma uses to execute its condemned
prisoners, and how that fits in with court-sanctioned protocols. Briefly, in
2008, the court ruled in Baze v. Rees that Kentucky's 3-drug protocol (first
developed in Oklahoma) was constitutional because the 1st drug in the
procedure, the barbiturate sodium thiopental, rendered the prisoner insensate
to the agonizing pain caused by the 2nd drug, pancuronium bromide, which
paralyzes, and the 3rd drug, potassium chloride, which stops the heart. Without
being deeply anesthetized, the person being executed would feel an intense
burning sensation, experts have said. The court ruled that the 3-drug protocol
starting with sodium thiopental sufficiently knocked out the inmate and so did
not pose "a substantial risk of serious harm" or an "objectively intolerable
risk of harm."

Since then, international opposition to the death penalty, particularly among
European Union countries, has led pharmaceutical companies to stop selling
sodium thiopental for use in executions. States also used pentobarbital, which
had a similar effect on the inmate, for the 1st drug, but that is now hard to
procure for similar reasons. So states have been scrambling to find other ways
to kill people. Ohio, Arizona and Oklahoma, among others, replaced that 1st
drug with midazolam, a sedative doctors use to treat patients' anxiety before
administering general anesthesia, or for minor outpatient procedures.

But according to experts for the challengers to Oklahoma's lethal-injection
protocol, the drug is insufficient to render the condemned insensate - and it
has a ceiling effect, which means that after a certain amount of the drug is
used, additional amounts are ineffective. Although midazolam was used without
obvious incident in a dozen executions, it was part of three botched executions
last year, including one in Oklahoma. That led to the current appeal by several
Oklahoma death row inmates that using midazolam violates the standard set by
the Baze ruling.

The oral arguments on Wednesday descended into a rolling skirmish among the
court???s conservative and liberal justices, with Justice Elena Kagan coming
across as particularly harsh. But more worrisome was Justice Samuel Alito, who
suggested that the strategy of the anti-death penalty movement should be
weighed in determining the constitutionality of the protocol:

"JUSTICE ALITO: Yes. I mean, let's be honest about what's going on here.
Executions could be carried out painlessly. There are many jurisdictions, there
are jurisdictions in this country, there are jurisdictions abroad that allow
assisted suicide, and I assume that those are carried out with little, if any,
pain. Oklahoma and other states could carry out executions painlessly.

"Now, this Court has held that the death penalty is constitutional. It's
controversial as a constitutional matter. It certainly is controversial as a
policy matter. Those who oppose the death penalty are free to try to persuade
legislatures to abolish the death penalty. Some of those efforts have been
successful. They're free to ask this court to overrule the death penalty.

"But until that occurs, is it appropriate for the judiciary to countenance what
amounts to a guerrilla war against the death penalty which consists of efforts
to make it impossible for the states to obtain drugs that could be used to
carry out capital punishment with little, if any, pain? And so the states are
reduced to using drugs like this one which give rise to disputes about whether,
in fact, every possibility of pain is eliminated.

"Now, what is your response to that?"

Justice Antonin Scalia then piled on:

"JUSTICE SCALIA: And I guess - I guess I would be more inclined to find that it
was intolerable if there was even some doubt about this drug when there was a
perfectly safe other drug available. But the states have gone through 2
different drugs, and those drugs have been rendered unavailable by the
abolitionist movement putting pressure on the companies that manufacture them
so that the states cannot obtain those 2 other drugs.

"And now you want to come before the court and say, well, this third drug is
not 100% sure. The reason it isn't 100% sure is because the abolitionists have
rendered it impossible to get the 100% sure drugs, and you think we should not
view that as -- as relevant to the decision that -- that you're putting before
us?"

Actually, it is irrelevant. Either the use of midazolam creates "a substantial
risk of serious harm" or an "objectively intolerable risk of harm," or it
doesn't, which is the constitutional question. The lack of sources, and the
reason, for the states' preferred drugs has no bearing on the constitutionality
of the chosen alternative.

It's hard to say where the court will fall on this issue. It rejected by a 5-4
vote a stay request by Charles Frederick Warner, one of the original appellants
in this case, and he was put to death in January. A few days later, the court
agreed to hear this full appeal, which only takes the support of four justices
- likely the 4 who voted for the stay.

Whether those 4 votes can pick up a 5th is the big question. And even if they
do and rule that the midazolam protocol is unconstitutional, the underlying
battle over the death penalty itself continues.

(source: Editorial, Los Angeles Times)

**************

A Horrifying Day at Court----Death brings out the worst in the justices.

In theory, what the 9 justices of the U.S. Supreme Court were all but shouting
about Wednesday was midazolam hydrochloride, a sedative used by Oklahoma and
other states as part of their lethal injection protocol. The very technical
question before the court is whether midazolam reliably causes a deep, comalike
unconsciousness in the prisoner, or whether it does not, allowing him to feel
the excruciating effects of the other drugs used subsequently to end his life.
The constitutional claim is that a failure to sedate the prisoner sufficiently
would violate the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment. A
series of botched executions in Oklahoma, Ohio, and other places in recent
months has drawn public attention to the fact that we may - as Justice Sonia
Sotomayor colorfully put it this week - create "a substantial risk of burning a
person alive who's paralyzed, correct?"

It looked at first like it would be a debate about the trial court's medical
fact-finding, a discussion that would be more Gray's Anatomy than Black's Law
Dictionary, but the arguments quickly blew up into a proxy war about ideology
and politics and the ugly rift between the justices on how we feel about
killing people in America. Oral arguments are usually spirited and
enthusiastic. But they are rarely unpleasant and embarrassing. By the end of
the hour of arguments in Glossip v. Gross, Chief Justice John Roberts had to
step in and scold his colleagues for both their rancor and their rudeness to
the oral advocates appearing before them. It was a cringe-worthy last day of
arguments of the term, but in some ways perhaps a fitting one.

There have been a lot of reports in recent years about the deep ideological
fractures at the Supreme Court. The justices are as divided as they have ever
been on issues ranging from race and religion to reproductive health, guns, and
campaign finance reform. They like to tell us - to use Justice Stephen Breyer's
preferred locution - that they are more than merely "9 junior varsity
politicians." But Wednesday's performance certainly suggested that they were
closer to 9 junior varsity high schoolers, with nasty tempers and bitter
resentments.

There is a bit of history here. In 2008, in Baze v. Rees, the Supreme Court
upheld the use of a 3-drug cocktail used by most states to administer the death
penalty. The supply of sodium thiopental, the barbiturate sedative states used
to use, has since dried up because of boycotts from foreign suppliers and
companies opposed to capital punishment. Oklahoma changed its lethal injection
protocol last year to replace sodium thiopental with midazolam. Shortly
thereafter, that state badly botched the execution of Clayton Lockett with an
apparently insufficient dose of midazolam. He writhed and bucked on the gurney
for 43 minutes, as he suffered an apparently agonizing death.

Death row inmates Richard Glossip, Charles Warner, and other Oklahoma prisoners
then filed an Eighth Amendment challenge to the use of midazolam in the
protocol. They lost in the federal courts, which permitted the use of
midazolam, so the prisoners sought a stay of execution at the Supreme Court,
which was denied on Jan. 15. Justices Sotomayor, Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg,
and Elena Kagan filed a rare and angry dissent from the court's refusal to hear
the case. That same evening, Oklahoma used midazolam in the execution of
Charles Warner. His last words were reportedly: "My body is on fire." The court
agreed to hear the inmates' case a week later - minus the deceased Warner.

Just to be clear who's on which teams in the Glossip argument, Kagan
establishes with his lawyer, Robin Konrad, that the central issue in the case
is that "there is this huge range of uncertainty about what happens when
someone is given this drug." Then Justice Samuel Alito comes out gunning for
Konrad about the tactics of death penalty opponents: "Why is Oklahoma not using
sodium thiopental?" he asks. Konrad starts to respond. "You don't know?"
interrupts Alito. "Let's be honest about what's going on here." Explaining that
capital punishment is highly controversial, he asks, "Is it appropriate for the
judiciary to countenance what amounts to a guerrilla war against the death
penalty, which consists of efforts to make it impossible for the states to
obtain drugs that could be used to carry out capital punishment with little, if
any, pain?"

In other words, Alito wants Konrad to explain why her client isn't somehow
reasonably on the hook for the scarcity of really good execution drugs. As
Justice Antonin Scalia frames it: All the really effective drugs have been
rendered unavailable "by the abolitionists putting pressure on the companies
that manufacture them so that the states cannot obtain those other drugs."
Justice Anthony Kennedy soon interrupts to demand an answer to this question,
pointing out that Konrad has been interrupted several times and still hasn't
given an answer to the question about the "abolitionists" who are really to
blame for the fact that we can't kill people more efficiently in America.
Breyer has to step in to remind Konrad, "It's not you. You didn't purposely
hide these other kinds of drugs."

And Roberts wonders idly (and quite creepily) whether Konrad has an opinion on
the constitutionality of a new Oklahoma law that would asphyxiate prisoners
with nitrogen gas.

It goes downhill from here. When Oklahoma's solicitor general, Patrick Wyrick,
attempts to explain why the state protocol is constitutional, Kagan calls the
reasoning of the district court judge on at least 1 issue "gobbledygook." When
Wyrick begins to read from the record, Sotomayor stops him, saying outright: "I
have a real problem with whatever you're reading because I'm going to have to
brief you made factual statements that were not supported by the cited sources
and, in fact, directly contradicted" them and warns "so nothing you say or read
to me am I going to believe until I see it with my own eyes." She lays out
three areas where, in her view, the state altered or fudged data to support its
argument. Wyrick keeps trying to explain, but she, as well as Kagan and Breyer,
simply don't let him finish a thought. Breyer accuses Wyrick's expert - 1 of
whose witness reports consists largely of printouts from the website Drugs.com
- of shoddy science: "The key refutation of your expert rests on zero," he
says. Wyrick keeps trying to talk. Kagan grows more and more furious. "Suppose
that we said we are going to burn you at the stake, but before we do, we are
going to give you an anesthetic before we burn you alive," the usually very
temperate Kagan asks Wyrick. "Maybe you will feel it; maybe you won't."

When Wyrick's light goes on to show that he is out of time, Roberts addresses
him directly: "Mr. Wyrick, to an extent that's unusual even in this court, you
have been listening rather than talking. And so I'm happy to give you an extra
5 minutes, if you'd like."

It's the kind of public reprimand you rarely hear at the court, and whether it
was directed at Sotomayor alone or the scrappy triumvirate of Kagan, Breyer,
and Sotomayor, it's the kind of sentiment that the chief justice must think to
himself a good deal on the bench but that he rarely allows himself to speak
aloud. As Wyrick concludes his remarks, the liberal justices glower from their
respective bad-justice chairs. Nobody likes to be called an asshole by the
chief.

In Konrad's rebuttal, the animosity spikes up again when she tries to address
the burning-at-the-stake hypothetical. Alito interjects that this is "an
irrelevant point." Kagan retorts that "potassium chloride is burning someone
alive; it's just doing it through the use of a drug." The 2 look like they
could happily administer to each other a little snort of lethal injection at
this point. The tension in the chamber is palpable and unpleasant. One side
genuinely thinks the issue here is unscrupulous death penalty abolitionists and
their bullying tactics. The other openly accuses the state of Oklahoma of lying
in its pleadings.

Roberts worries almost obsessively about appearances at the court - appearances
of partisanship and politicization, and also about justices who take
ideological swats at one another in public. In September, in a speech at the
University of Nebraska, he said he was worried that the partisan rancor in
Washington might "spill over and affect us. ... That's not the way we do
business. We're not Republicans or Democrats." Judges are different in his
view; they are always supposed to be above that kind of thing. But as long has
been said at the court, death is different too. It seemingly brings out the
very worst in us all.

Often when you catch the chief in a situation like Wednesday's - in which the
justices' gloves are off and their back teeth are showing - you get the sense
that he wishes he weren't the only grown-up in the room. Or perhaps more
correctly, that he didn't always have to be.

(source:Dahlia Lithwick, slate.com)

*****************

Lawyers debate sanity defence in Colorado movie theatre massacre trial

Harrowing accounts from survivors have dominated the 1st week of Colorado's
cinema massacre trial, and, amid the tears, a much more detailed picture of
gunman James Holmes has emerged.

A judge sealed much of the key evidence in the mass-shooting case but both the
defence and prosecutors sought to fill in the gaps regarding Holmes' character.

Holmes' public defenders and the prosecutors seeking the death penalty for the
27-year-old former neuroscience graduate student painted starkly different
pictures of the accused in the Arapahoe County District Court located in
Denver.

Attorneys presented previously unreleased entries from a notebook Holmes' sent
his psychiatrist, as well as videos of the southern California native
undergoing sanity exams, and reportedly trying to injure himself in his jail
cell.

In his opening statement, Arapahoe County District attorney George Brauchler
depicted Holmes as a craven killer of superior intellect who planned and
carried out the massacre because of his "longstanding hatred of mankind".

Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to multiple counts of
1st-degree murder and attempted murder after killing 12 people and wounding 70
at a midnight screening of the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises in Denver on
July 20, 2012.

In court, Mr Brauchler revealed 2 court-appointed forensic psychiatrists deemed
that Holmes was sane at the time.

In 1 video shown to jurors, Holmes told a psychiatrist the wounded victims were
"collateral damage".

"I only count the fatalities," he said.

Mr Brauchler also disclosed that when Holmes dyed his hair red, it had nothing
to do with the bizarre appearance of the Joker, a reference to the Batman
films.

Holmes coloured his hair and bought black contact lenses to make himself stand
out, the prosecutor said.

And he posted selfies of his new appearance on adult dating sites.

Mr Brauchler also divulged Holmes had a girlfriend, the "1st love of his life"
and his "1st sexual experience", but said they split up a few weeks before the
rampage.

"I don't see a future with you," she wrote in an online chat with the
defendant, which the prosecutor read to the court.

Mr Brauchler also read mundane emails Holmes sent to his parents, discussing
everyday topics, including the weather, a funny movie and opening a savings
account all while steadily amassing an arsenal of firearms, ammunition and
bomb-making materials.

'Nobody noticed. Why? Because he was getting straight As'

Defence lawyers laid out their diagnosis for why he launched the attack.

Attorney Daniel King said both the defendants' grandfathers and an aunt
suffered from serious mental illness, and as an 11-year-old Holmes tried to
take his own life.

"Nobody noticed," Mr King said.

"Why? Because he was getting straight As."

The public defender showed his own videos, including one of a naked Holmes
running headlong into his jail cell wall, and another of him standing on his
bed before toppling back and slamming his head on the floor.

"It sounded like Mr Brauchler was suggesting that Mr Holmes might have done
this for notoriety," Mr King told jurors.

"Look at the video, and you tell me if you would do this for notoriety."

Mr King said Holmes thought the killings would somehow boost his self-worth, or
"human capital".

"He still believes this stuff today, despite the fact that he's been medicated
for over 2 years," Mr King said.

The attorney rejected the state's argument the defendant's detailed
preparations proved he was sane.

"That's the crucible of insanity, not planning," Mr King said.

Holmes was expressionless in court, wearing a pale blue shirt and glasses, and
tethered to the floor beneath his attorneys' desk.

Gesturing at his client, Mr King told jurors Holmes' "aloof or distracted"
demeanour was caused by the drugs he was given, which Mr King said treated but
did not cure his schizophrenia.

Holmes suffers delusions to this day, Mr King said.

"He thought President Obama was communicating with him through the television,"
he said.

After his arrest, Holmes was moved to a "rubber room", the public defender
added, where he was observed eating lunch meat between 2 flattened plastic foam
cups, licking walls, sucking his thumb, and often "crying and ranting".

Testimony is set to resume on Monday.

(source: ABC news)

********************

A shocking number of mentally ill Americans end up in prison instead of
treatment

The U.S. has 10 times more mentally ill in its prisons than in psychiatric
hospitals.

In New York, a man with schizophrenia spent 13 years of a 15-year prison
sentence in solitary confinement. In a Minnesota county jail, a man with
schizophrenia stabbed out both of his eyes with a pencil in his cell. A study
of 132 suicide attempts in a county jail in Washington found that 77 % of them
had a "chronic psychiatric problem," compared with 15 % among the rest of the
jail population.

In a country where the mentally ill are often incarcerated instead of treated,
these kinds of incidents are far too common. According to a report by the
Treatment Advocacy Center, which includes the anecdotes above, American prisons
and jails housed an estimated 356,268 inmates with several mental illness in
2012 - on par with the population of Anchorage, Alaska, or Trenton, New Jersey.
That figure is more than 10 times the number of mentally ill patients in state
psychiatric hospitals in the same year - about 35,000 people.

In a speech yesterday, Hillary Clinton urged the U.S. to reduce its prison
population. "It's a stark fact that the United Stations has less than 5 percent
of the world's population, yet we have almost 25 percent of the world's total
prison population. The numbers today are much higher than they were 30, 40
years ago, despite the fact that crime is at historic lows," she said.

A heart-breaking truth is that part of this increase is due to a widespread
failure to treat mental illness. After public psychiatric hospitals in the
early 20th century came to be criticized for inhumane and disturbing
treatments, beginning in the 1950s there was a movement to deinstitutionalize
mental health and treat patients in more community-based treatment centers. At
their highest peak in 1955, state mental hospitals held 558,922 patients.
Today, they hold about 35,000 patients, and that number continues to fall.

For various reasons, these community treatment plans proved inadequate, leaving
many of the mentally ill homeless or in jail. According to the Department of
Justice, about 15 % of state prisoners and 24 % of jail inmates report symptoms
meet the criteria for a psychotic disorder.

In its survey of individual states, the Treatment Advocacy Center found that in
44 of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, the largest prison or jail
held more people with serious mental illness than the largest state psychiatric
hospital (see map below). The only exceptions were Kansas, New Jersey, North
Dakota, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming. "Indeed, the Polk County Jail in
Iowa, the Cook County Jail in Illinois, and the Shelby County Jail in Tennessee
each have more seriously mentally ill inmates than all the remaining state
psychiatric hospitals in that state combined," the report says.

Unsurprisingly, many prisons are poorly equipped to properly deal with mental
illness. Inmates with mental illnesses are more likely than other to be held in
solitary confinement, and many are raped, commit suicide, or hurt themselves.

The movement to deinstitutionalize the mentally ill began from a place of
humanity, but it hasn't ended there, at least not yet. The Treatment Advocacy
Center report questions how much we've really learned about treating the
mentally ill in the last 200 years, pointing out that people with mental
illness were routinely confined in prisons and jails from 1770 to 1820.
"Because this practice was regarded as inhumane and problematic, until 1970,
such persons were routinely confined in hospitals. Since 1970, we have returned
to the earlier practice of routinely confining such persons in prisons and
jails."

(source: Washington Post)

*****************

A look at federal death penalty cases over the last 2 decades

Soon jurors in the trial of convicted bomber Dzohkhar Tsarnaev will be tasked
with deciding whether he should live or die. Seventeen of the charges that the
21-year-old was convicted of carry the possibility of the death penalty.

Tsarnaev's case is one a relatively small number that the federal government
has chosen to seek that penalty on since it was reinstated back in 1988.

Over the last 27 years the federal government has taken 293 defendants to court
in federal death penalty trials. Only 79 of those defendants were sentenced to
death by a jury.

And of those only 3 have actually been executed. All of those executions taking
place at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana by lethal
injection.

If convicted Tsarnaev would join around 60 others on death row.

In terms of how long it could take to execute Tsarnaev, it all depends on the
appeals process.

Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh was executed 4 years after his sentence.
The death penalty happening so quickly because McVeigh stopped fighting
appeals.

It took 8 years for the other 2 people who have been executed in the past 2
decades.

More than 1/2 of the federal prisoners on death row have been waiting more than
t10 years for their reviews to be heard.

The death penalty is illegal in Massachusetts, this case is federal which is
why it can be tried in the state.

The last time a person was executed for a non- federal case in the Baystate was
1947.

(source: ABC news)

**********************

Legacy of lynching endures in 'Death Belt'

Christians celebrate life and the budding seeds of God's new creation through
Easter. We jubilantly celebrate light, life and freedom this liturgical season.

We see light in the darkness of inhumanity because we interpret the world
through the cross and suffering of Jesus, who is the seed of new life.

As M. Shawn Copeland observes in Enfleshing Freedom, the cross becomes cheap
grace or a simplistic solution to the problem of evil if we do not interpret
the cross in light of the "unmeasured suffering and anguish" of lynching in
America.

Lynching is inextricably tied to how racial injustice and the death penalty are
performed in the United States today.

Copeland invites us to remember, in the words of James Cone, how "the lynching
tree can liberate the cross from false pieties of well-meaning Christians. ...
The cross can redeem the lynching tree, and thereby bestow upon lynched black
bodies an eschatological meaning for their ultimate existence." Solidarity
begins, Copeland rightfully contends, in the intentional remembering of the
black victims of lynching, who, with Jesus, are martyrs for freedom in this
land.

The Equal Justice Initiative in Montgomery, Ala., finds in its new study,
"Lynching in America: Confronting the Legacy of Racial Terror," that "an
astonishing absence of any effort to acknowledge, discuss, or address lynching"
remains in the communities where this form of racial terror was most prevalent.

Most astonishingly, this includes our churches. Forgetfulness of lynching and
the death penalty in America demonstrate an appalling apostasy on behalf of
Christians who tolerate this evil.

This legacy endures in the states of Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia,
Florida and my home state of Louisiana.

Scholars call these "Death Belt" states because of the high correlation they
find between the history of lynching against African-Americans and today's
disproportionate arrests, prosecution, and sentencing to death of
African-Americans. We deem these unworthy of life along with the economically
poor and people who are mentally or psychologically disabled.

The correlation between the practice of lynching and the death penalty goes
down to the parish/county level. Phillips, Ark., leads all counties in the
nation with 243 lynchings between 1877 and 1950, and the Louisiana parishes of
Caddo, Lafourche, Tensas and Ouachita round out the top five counties
nationally.

Today, Caddo leads Louisiana in death penalty convictions. Caddo provides a
case in point of the relationship between lynching and the death penalty. It
also offers hope.

The following is not the impassioned plea of a death row inmate fighting for
his life or an extreme left-winger:

The clear reality is that the death penalty is an anathema to any society that
purports to call itself civilized. It is an abomination that continues to scar
the fibers of this society and it will continue to do so until this barbaric
penalty is outlawed. Until then, we live in a land that condones state assisted
revenge and that is not justice in any form or fashion.

These are the words of a former district attorney who routinely and proudly
sought the death penalty in Caddo Parish. At least, until he recently
recognized that he sent an innocent man to death.

A.M. "Marty" Stroud III, formerly the first assistant district attorney in
Caddo Parish, performed a rare, courageous act: He publicly apologized to Glenn
Ford for wrongfully convicting him more than 30 years ago and called on the
state of Louisiana to provide a modicum of justice by paying restitution.

In a statement published in the Shreveport Times, Stroud forthrightly admits,
"We are simply incapable of devising a system that can fairly and impartially
impose a sentence of death because we are all fallible human beings."

Ford has claimed innocence ever since he was first arrested and charged with
fatally shooting a Shreveport jewelry store owner during a 1983 robbery. Ford
was released from Angola's death row on March 11, 2014, after the state
admitted its wrongful conviction.

Louisiana's state attorney general, Buddy Caldwell, is denying restitution to
Ford. Although Ford is dying of cancer, he is fighting for the compensation in
order to pave the way for restitution for future exonerees.

In apologizing to Ford, Stroud said: "I end with the hope that providence will
have more mercy for me than I showed Glenn Ford. But, I am also sobered by the
realization that I certainly am not deserving of it."

I am sobered with Stroud and wonder: Whose side are we on?

This Easter season, do we stand on the side of the system -- the machinery of
death -- or do we live Easter hope by proclaiming "liberty to captives" (Luke
4:18)?

An ultimate question of our faith rests in whether and how we remember Jesus in
the condemned of our past and present: the depth of our shared witness to the
life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

(source: National Catholic Reporter)

***************

Reflections on Lethal Drugs, Sleeping and Waking Up

I have always loved the Supreme Court.

As a law student, I made pilgrimages to the Court to listen to arguments. It
fortified me and inspired me for the hard work and sacrifice ahead.

I proudly became a member of the Supreme Court bar and had the privilege of
participating in briefs before the Court. Waiting in line yesterday to hear the
arguments in Glossip v. Gross, I felt that familiar sense of anticipation:
justice is possible here.

At issue was whether Oklahoma can use a drug called Midazolam in a 3 drug
protocol used to kill prisoners by lethal injection. There was a disconnect
between the nitty-gritty discussion about what it takes to kill a prisoner and
the beauty and nobility of our surroundings:

Midazolam, the 1st drug administered, is supposed to render a prisoner
unconscious and keep him or her unconscious until potassium chloride, the
killing drug, has done its work.

Everyone agrees that a prisoner will die a horrible death if he or she is
conscious when the potassium chloride is used. Potassium chloride feels like
liquid fire.

But while Midazolam might reliably put a prisoner to sleep, there is no
reliable scientific data to support the notion that a prisoner will remain
"asleep" when the potassium chloride starts to burn through the body. Pain will
wake up the prisoner. A series of botched executions in 2014 and much clinical
and scientific evidence supports this chilling conclusion.

With no substantive response to Midazolam's uncertain utility, Oklahoma's
lawyer made technical legal arguments about who had the burden of proof. When
asked why a 3rd, paralyzing drug was used, he answered almost without realizing
it: "to keep the prisoner from moving."

It saddened me to see the Court forced to sift through this rubble.

It made me wonder. Who is it that Oklahoma is really trying to put to sleep?
And what will it take to wake up?

Should the prospect and reality of an innocent person being executed shock our
systems to jolt us awake?

Should daily protests and palpable anger reflecting the fact that a significant
segment of the citizenry has no confidence that it will be treated fairly by
police, the criminal justice system or the courts provide the twinge that
rouses us?

Should higher murder rates in regions of the country that use the death penalty
with greater frequency enable us to discern reality from dream?

Some doze undisturbed. Or drift deeper into trance imagining that a return to
firing squads and electric chairs will make us more civilized.

If we are not asleep, we must take the execution status quo by the shoulders
and shake it hard to wake up.

We have the muscle to do it. According to the PEW Research Center, opposition
to the death penalty continues to increase--now at 38%. Popular support for the
death penalty continues to decline. Now just 56% of the public supports the
practice in the abstract. And the devil is truly in the details.

I don't know what the Supreme Court will decide. However the Court rules, this
struggle will not be over.

Using Midazolam in executions is a questionable practice at best. Let's make
sure however, that it doesn't have long-term sedative effects on the public's
consciousness.

The death penalty is preventing our nation's forward progress. It does not
enhance public safety. It distracts us from addressing the root causes of crime
and violence. It undermines our values of fairness and equality before the law.

Make some noise. Join the 90 Million Strong Campaign now. Learn how you can
become engaged in ending the death penalty! Follow me at diannatncadp.

(source: Diann Rust-Tierney, Executive Director of the National Coalition to
Abolish the Death Penalty----Huffington Post)

**************

What Would Be Your Last Meal? For 600 Executed Prisoners, One Painter
Memorializes Their Answers

"He told us he never had a birthday cake, so we ordered a birthday cake for
him," said a prison official in 2007.

The cake and some pizza was an Indiana man's last meal request before he was
executed on a Friday morning in May.

The name of this man and the crime he committed is discoverable within a few
clicks on Google. But that would be missing the point, according to Julie
Green, an art professor at Oregon State University.

Since 2000, Green has painted 600 plates depicting the last meals of death row
inmates, "The Last Supper." In cobalt-blue mineral paint, she notes on each
plate the state and date of the execution alongside the meal request -- but no
name, no crime -- before the ceramic dish is kiln-fired at 1400 degrees.

"It is a memento mori representing a lot of suffering," Green said. "By putting
a name, it makes it less accessible."

Some painted plates display more lavish meals, as seen by a Florida death row
inmate's 2006 request for lobster tail, butterfly shrimp, a baked potato,
strawberry cheesecake and sweet tea. Other painted plates demonstrate a
yearning for the comforts of home or childhood, like the 2014 request for a
peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Or macaroni and cheese, which Green has
painted 10 times. Or fried chicken, which she has painted 84 times. Burgers, 89
times. Other plates don't show any meal at all, indicating the inmate may have
refused a last meal or made no request.

"Food in general is a connection for me," Green said. "It resonates with
people."

The genesis of the project occurred during Green's morning ritual of toast and
tea, as she read an article about a death row inmate's last meal.

"Why is this in the newspaper?" she asked herself. "You're giving somebody a
choice, and then you're going to execute them? That's very strange to me."

15 years later, the growing gallery of painted plates is coming to The Mary and
Leigh Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill. (May 9
to August 9). The university holds a special place in the history of capital
punishment. In 2003, former Gov. George Ryan commuted all Illinois death
sentences, making his historic announcement at Northwestern's law school, home
to the Center on Wrongful Convictions. At a seminal conference in 1998, the
center featured 29 exonerated death row inmates, calling to the governor's
attention critical errors in the justice system. In 2011, former Gov. Pat Quinn
abolished the death penalty in Illinois altogether.

Green's collection builds on this history, sparking discourse.

"The narrative is the work being done around Chicago on social justice," said
Elliot Reichert, curator of special projects at the Block Museum. "We are
trying to invite a lot of people into a larger conversation."

The museum is encouraging dialogue through a series of events, a
justice-focused community curriculum that it is developing and a comment book
that travels with the exhibition, inviting perspectives of all kinds, like
these:

"As a mother, it was very sobering to read the last request by a man for his
mother's cooking. I can't imagine making a final meal for anyone."

"Morbid. No art value."

"Why no display of the names of the victims or these criminals and their
families?"

The conversation has no end in sight, as Green is committed to adding 50 plates
to "The Last Supper" every year, or as long as capital punishment persists. 32
states and the federal government allow the death penalty, despite waning
public support, falling from 78 % in 1996 to 55 % in 2013, according to the Pew
Research Center. In 2014, an unprecedented U.S. death row study found that more
than 4 % of defendants sentenced to die are innocent.

But for Green's work, hope comes in the form of 1 painted plates -- fst meals
rather than last meals. They represent 2 men, former death row inmates who were
exonerated and released. Bucking her own trend of static blue-and-white plates,
Green painted them in full color.

Since 1973, 152 inmates have been exonerated from death row, according to the
Death Penalty Information Center. Beyond (and including) death row, an
exoneration happens every 3 days in the United States, with the toll at more
than 1,500 since 1989.

"We do not have the death penalty in Illinois anymore, but that hasn't gotten
us out of the woods," said Sara Sommervold, an intake attorney at
Northwestern's Center on Wrongful Convictions. "It is a cause and an issue that
is close to the heart of many of the people that are here."

For the Indiana man whose 1st birthday cake came moments before his lethal
injection, his last human moment will live on, immortalized on a painted plate,
1 supper in a sea of dishes.

(source: Alison Flowers; Journalist and contributor to Chicago's NPR
station----Huffington Post)