Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat Mar 28 17:35:17 CDT 2015

March 28

IRAN----executions

Execution of 4 Prisoners in Maragheh Prison

4 prisoners with drug related charges were executed in Maragheh prison on
February 27.

According to the report of Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA), 4
prisoners with drug related charges has been executed in Maragheh prison on
February 27.

These prisoners were Bahram Ashtari, Atef Ranjbar, Karim saadaat and Vali
Najafniya and were sentenced to death for drug related charges.

An informed source told HRANA's reporter, "27 prisoners are in death row in
Maragheh prison, who would be executed in the Iranian New Year".

(source: HRA News)

INDONESIA:

Philippines working to save Indonesia death row inmate

The Philippine government is exhausting all efforts to save a Filipina from
execution in Indonesia over a drug smuggling conviction, an official said
Saturday.

The statement comes after Indonesia's Supreme Court rejected Wednesday a
petition by Mary Jane Viesta Veloso for a judicial review of her case.

Abigail Valte, deputy presidential spokeswoman, told state-run dzRB radio
Saturday, "the government is doing everything within the legal framework of
Indonesia to be able to push for her case."

Referring to an earlier pledge by Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert
del Rosario, who recently visited Veloso in prison, Valte said, "the
Philippines will continue to push other legal avenues."

Veloso, a single mother of 2 who sought work in Malaysia as a maid, was
arrested while smuggling 2.6 kilograms of heroin at Yogyakarta airport, Java
island, in April 2010.

Her family has insisted that the drugs seized from Veloso's luggage were
secretly placed there by a relative.

Her earlier plea for clemency was rejected by Indonesian President Joko Widodo,
who has adopted a tough stance on drug traffickers while the country faces a
"drug emergency."

In a statement Saturday, del Rosario said a 2nd appeal for judicial review is
being considered, expressing his confidence that executions would not occur
within the next 2 weeks.

Indonesian authorities have been preparing to move Veloso to the Nusa Kambangan
prison island, where 9 other drugs convicts -- including 8 foreigners -- have
already been transferred awaiting execution by firing squad.

Indonesia's attorney-general office has said that the executions will be
delayed as the inmates' lawyers continue exploring available legal avenues.

The death penalty was resumed in 2013 after a 5-year gap, according to Amnesty
International. Earlier this year, 6 drug offenders -- including 5 foreigners --
were executed despite diplomatic pleas.

In February, Indonesia and the Philippines agreed to strengthen collaboration
in exchanging information on intelligence materials, methods of drug
trafficking and their possible routes, and new forms of illegal drugs.

(source: aa.com.tr)

***************

Inmate may evade death penalty after underage claims surface

Death row inmate Yusman Telaumbanua is to be transferred to a prison in Medan
and his case reviewed given a report that he may have been a minor when
sentenced.

"The Directorate General of Correctional Institutions has agreed to it, so we
are just waiting for the right time to do the transfer," said Law and Human
Rights Ministry Central Java correctional division head Yuspahruddin, after
visiting Nusakambangan prison island in Cilacap regency, Central Java, on
Friday, together with members of the House of Representatives Commission III
overseeing legal affairs.

Yuspahruddin said Yusman would be transferred from Nusakambangan to Tanjung
Gusta Penitentiary in Medan.

Yusman's case made headlines as he was reported to have still been 16 years old
when he was sentenced to death by the Gunugsitoli District Court, Nias, in
2013.

Both the Indonesian and international justice systems allow minors to be given
a maximum 10 years' imprisonment.

Article 37 (a) of the Convention on the Rights of the Child and Article 6 (5)
of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights state that the
death penalty and life imprisonment shall not be imposed on children.

The case saw Women's Empowerment and Child Protection Minister Yohana Yembise
visit Yusman at LP Batu Penitentiary on the prison island on Wednesday to
confirm his age.

"Yes, we have met. He said he was still 16 when he was sentenced," said Yohana
after meeting Yusman.

Meanwhile, the North Sumatra Police said no procedures had been violated in
Yusman's investigation, especially in regard to his age.

North Sumatra Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Helfi Assegaf said his office had
re-examined the investigation process and had found no violations had been
committed by the Nias Police.

Assegaf said no document had been found that stated Yusman was underage during
the legal procedure. Even Yusman's eldest brother, he said, had confirmed that
Yusman was an adult when he was investigated.

"The facts show that the police's investigation into Yusman was correct,"
Assegaf told The Jakarta Post on Friday.

The Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras) North
Sumatra branch, however, presented different information.

Kontras North Sumatra coordinator Herdensi Adnin said Yusman was a minor when
he was investigated by the Nias Police, as shown by his baptismal certificate.

"We received the certificate 3 weeks ago from Yusman. It was issued by the
Indonesian Bethel Church, Nusakambangan, Central Java," said Herdensi, adding
that the document stated Yusman was born on Dec. 30, 1996.

"We will demand that the Supreme Court reviews the case," he said on Friday.

Earlier, Kontras also suspected that Yusman had been subject to violence during
the investigation and had not been accompanied by any lawyers during
questioning.

The police denied employing violence during the investigation and said Yusman
was accompanied by lawyers.

Yusman and his brother-in-law, Rusula Hia, were sentenced to death by the
Gunungsitoli District Court, Nias, on May 21, 2013.

They were convicted for the premeditated murder of their 3 employers,
Kolimarinus Zega, Jimmi Trio Girsang and Rugun Haloho, on April 24, 2012.

(source: thejakartapost.com)

VIETNAM:

Death Penalty Reviewed in Vietnam

Vietnam is heading today for a review of the crimes that can be punished with
death penalty, which was applied in few cases in the last times, reported the
newspaper Than Nien.

During a meeting with legislators this week, the vice-minister of justice, Dinh
Trung Tung, said that the process of amendment of the current penal code seeks
to strengthen the dissuasion and make it more human.

The governing organism proposed to abolish the maximum sentence, replacing it
by life imprisonment for a number of criminal acts, which include thefts,
heroine smuggling, destructions of goods of importance for the national
security and surrender to the enemies of the country.

In accordance with the project the death penalty will be kept for the
aggravated drug trafficking, brutal murders, which are committed along with
violations, thefts with crimes in the first grade and acts that threaten the
human development and the public order as the corruption.

In the meeting the member of the Permanent Committee of the Justice Reform,
Nguyen Tat Vien, appreciated that the penal legal system of the country is very
severe, but not necessarily effective and it is necessary to limit the effect
of the death sentences.

The amendments to be introduced in the reference Code emphasize the procedural
guarantees for accused and guilty people.

(source: Prensa Latina)

ENGLAND:

Death penalty debate is finally swinging the right way ---- Britons who support
the return of capital punishment are now in the minority. Let???s hear it for
common sense and decency, writes Alan Tyers.

Good news for fans of the civilised world today as it emerged that public
support for the death penalty has fallen below 50% for the 1st time in a
generation.

The NatCen British Social Attitudes study has asked people for their views on
the death penalty since 1986.

Some 48% of people now back the death penalty for "some crimes", down from 54%
in 2013.

In 1986, it was as high as 74%. By 1998 it was 59%.

So is this cause for celebration? In my opinion, yes.

When you read of the miscarriages of justice that have taken place in this
country and abroad it just makes you thankful that we do not execute people.

Any number of innocent people could have been put to death if we still had the
death penalty. Even one such death would be reason enough not to have it.

Coverage of the appalling ends suffered by death penalty victims in the USA -
with people taking two hours to die after lethal injection ??? may also have
hardened our attitudes to killing people in the name of the law.

There is no really compelling evidence that executing people acts a deterrent
to crimes.

Maybe British people are also reacting to the barbaric acts we see around the
world such as war crimes, the beheading of innocent prisoners by terrorists.

How could Britain claim to be revolted by those, or to take moral leadership
against them, if we ourselves were killing people?

Obviously you read any number of appalling cases in the papers involving
murders or harming children and it's natural to wonder if society would be
better off without the criminals.

But would the death penalty deter people from committing the very worst crimes?

If the death penalty is about retribution and revenge then fair enough, but
let???s not pretend this is about justice.

For the 1st time in nearly 30 years a majority of Brits oppose the state
killing of people. That has to be a good thing.

(source: bt.com)

PAKISTAN:

Minors and death penalty in Pakistan<

>From drawing rooms to social media forums, Pakistan recently debated at length
whether Shafqat Hussain was a minor when convicted of the alleged criminal
offences and whether he should receive the capital punishment like the many
terrorists facing the death sentence at the moment.

A recent report by Reprieve and Justice Project Pakistan tells us that there
could be as many as 800 other child offenders on death row in Pakistan. In
Shafqat's case, the execution of his death sentence has been delayed for
another 30 days and a committee formed to ascertain his age at the time of the
offence. It is interesting to note that Shafqat was originally convicted for
murder by the trial court but the High Court overturned the same in 2007 and
now he faces death only for the offence of "kidnapping for ransom" under
Section 6(2)(e) of the Anti-Terrorism Act of 1997. Not many seem to realise
this position and that it is because of the 'terrorist' nature of Shafqat's
alleged offence that he faced the death row earlier this year in view of the
(partial) lifting of the moratorium by Pakistan.

As of 03 March 2015, Pakistan has lifted the moratorium on death penalty across
the board as long as all legal avenues and options have been exhausted and
mercy petitions have been rejected by the president. Accordingly, it is likely
that many child offenders could potentially face the capital punishment
irrespective of the nature of their alleged offences as long as they have been
convicted of a crime punishable by death.

There is divided opinion in Pakistan on whether we should continue to be
counted amongst states that still have capital punishment and whether death
penalty should be restricted to cases where the 'terrorist' nature of the
offence is beyond doubt. However, there should be no confusion regarding our
position in relation to the non-applicability of capital punishment in the case
of minors. This is not my personal opinion or the position of a segment of our
civil society; it is the position of our country as reflected by Pakistan's
ratification of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the
International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the
promulgation of the Juvenile Justice System Ordinance 2000.

Pakistan ratified the CRC on 12 Nov 1990 and Article 37 (a) of the CRC states
that state parties shall ensure that "no child shall be subjected to torture or
other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Neither capital
punishment nor life imprisonment without possibility of release shall be
imposed for offences committed by persons below 18 years of age".

Similarly, Pakistan ratified the ICCPR on 23 June 2010 and Article 6 (5) of the
ICCPR states that "sentence of death shall not be imposed for crimes committed
by persons below 18 years of age and shall not be carried out on pregnant
women".

Moreover, Juvenile Justice System Ordinance 2000 covers orders that shall not
be passed with respect to a child, and Article 12 (a) states that "no child
shall be awarded punishment of death...".

It is also worth pointing out that the Pakistan Penal Code states in section 82
that "nothing is an offence which is done by a child under seven years of age"
hence establishing the minimum age of criminal responsibility. Section 83 of
the Penal Code goes on to state that between 7 and 12 years a child can only
commit an offence when he has attained sufficient maturity of understanding to
judge of the nature and the consequences of his conduct.

Therefore, if there is a clear state position that minors can't be given death
penalty then why do we have as many as 800 child offenders, as per the report
released by Reprieve and Justice Project Pakistan, on death row?

The problem, in my opinion, is that of lack of awareness, incompetency and
perhaps even professional negligence.

It is not just a matter of the lack of awareness among alleged child offenders
and their guardians regarding the legal position relating to trials involving
minors but also a grave reflection of the lack of proper legal representation
by their lawyers (whether appointed by them or the state) and ignorance
(whether negligent or otherwise) of the alleged child offender's rights by the
prosecuting authorities and the trial courts. If the report published by
Reprieve and Justice Project Pakistan is even partially correct, someone should
investigate how we ended up in a situation where we might have to face, to
quote Fatima Bhutto, a 'moral catastrophe' potentially over 800 times.

In recent judgments, Pakistan's Supreme Court has laid down clear principles
which the courts should consider while deciding the question of age. The
Supreme Court has pointed out that the plea of minority by an accused is a
special plea intended to take the accused off the noose and onus is thus on him
(the accused) to prove the same and that such a plea of minority must be taken
by the accused at the earliest possible opportunity, preferably during the
course of investigation so that the requisite evidence about the age of the
accused could also be properly collected and any delayed claim on the said
account should be met by adverse inferences. Whenever such a question of age is
raised or arises at the trial, the courts should not deal with the same in a
cursory or in a slip-shod manner but must proceed to hold an inquiry in the
matter as commanded by the provisions of section 7 of the Juvenile Justice
System Ordinance, including medical examination of the accused for the purpose.

Therefore, in legal terms, the burden of establishing the age lies with the
accused child offender. However, on the same basis that a minor should not be
sentenced to death even in the case of crimes punishable by death due to his
young age, this should not be seen as the sole responsibility of the child
offender but that of all the adults involved in prosecuting and defending such
an alleged offender. On the other hand, all those who assist criminals in
misusing this legal protection for minors, by falsifying records and hence
creating difficulties for genuine cases as well, should held for perjury and
receive strict punishment.

It should be the moral (and perhaps legal) responsibility of the defence and
prosecution lawyers and even the trial court judges to prevent miscarriages of
justice and inform the child offenders of their rights where it is evident that
the alleged offender is a minor. Whether Pakistan should continue to have death
penalty for certain offences is another debate, however, until such time that
the law of the land provides for capital punishment and also places limitations
in relation to its application in the case of minors, all necessary steps
should be taken to uphold Pakistan's international and domestic commitments in
this respect.

(source: Taimur Malik; The writer is a partner at an international law firm and
former Executive Director of the Research Society of International Law
Pakistan----Pakistan Today)