[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, S.C., FLA., ALA., ARK.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Mar 23 10:26:46 CDT 2015

March 23

TEXAS:

Legislature must fix Texas death penalty

Texans who support capital punishment might want to believe that the system has
evolved into an excruciatingly fair, airtight application of society's utmost
punishment.

If only that were the case, this newspaper might not stand with opponents of
state-sponsored killing.

Each year brings a new set of execution dates that expose weaknesses in the
system and offend the sense of justice. We trust that state lawmakers are alert
to them and are willing to apply fixes.

Take Texas law on executing the intellectually disabled. Actually, there really
isn't a law, despite the Supreme Court's 2002 landmark imperative against
executing people with low IQs. The Texas response relies in part on a Court of
Criminal Appeals ruling suggesting that someone like the fictional, dull-witted
character Lennie in Steinbeck's novel Of Mice and Men is the type who ought to
be spared the executioner's needle. Allusions to American literature have no
place in deciding life-and-death matters in Texas.

The Legislature has neglected its duty to put greater specificity in the law,
despite a steady flow of condemned inmates whose mental abilities have been in
question.

Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, has legislation (SB 226) to remedy this. It would
have the courts treat questions of intelligence like sanity questions,
impaneling a jury to decide the matter before trial. Today, the same jurors who
decide guilt-innocence also decide whether a person they just convicted is
bright enough to be killed. The Ellis bill would separate the matters and take
emotion out of the mix. This bill should pass and fill an embarrassing void in
Texas law.

It was also embarrassing for the state when lawyers for mentally ill killer
Scott Panetti discovered in the Houston Chronicle on Oct. 30 that his execution
date had been set 2 weeks prior and was just weeks away. That's right: There
was no direct, official notification to counsel that the state obtained a death
warrant - and the clock was ticking toward an appeals deadline.

The remedy for this shamefulness would be companion bills by Rep. Senfronia
Thompson, D-Houston, (HB 2110) and Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, D-McAllen, (SB
1071). Texans should not tolerate stealth death warrants.

Nor should Texans tolerate the idea of an execution before all relevant
evidence has been tested for DNA evidence that might bear on the case. Yet
that's not a guarantee today, because of a screwy court decision requiring a
defendant to prove "a reasonable likelihood" of biological material that could
be tested. How might a defendant produce that proof if not through testing?
Hence, a remedy by Ellis (SB 487) to eliminate this Catch-22 in state law.

This list of fixes could go on, but we'll mention just 1 more: the right of
Texans to know everything about the execution process. That means everything -
right down to the drugs used, their supplier and expiration dates. A bipartisan
bill (HB 1587) by Reps. Terry Canales, D-Edinburg, and Tony Tinderholt,
R-Arlington, would secure the public's right to know.

(source: Editorial, Dallas Morning News)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

Triple murder suspect says he needs new lawyers to get fair trial

A Cherokee County man who could face the death penalty if convicted in a 2010
triple murder said he wants to fire his lawyers and get new representation.

Cass Smith called the FOX Carolina newsroom Sunday from the Cherokee County
Detention Center. He said he had filed a motion to get new representation that
a judge is expected to hear this week.

Smith is accused of shooting and killing his ex-girlfriend, Suzanne Bridges,
her boyfriend, Harold Lick, and Bridges' 15-year-old daughter, Margaret Wenner,
in April 2010.

Investigators said Smith shot the 3 victims through a window of a mobile home
on Emily Lane in Cowpens.

Smith talked to FOX Carolina's cameras on the night he was arrested. He
apologized for the shootings and said he didn't know the teenager was in the
house when the shooting happened. Smith said he had been depressed and felt
betrayed over the break-up.

Smith, who has been held in the Cherokee County Detention Center since his
arrest, said Sunday that he was unhappy with his state appointed lawyers'
current defense strategy.

"I wrote 4 motions to dismiss my attorneys in the last 4 years," Smith said.

Smith said the presiding judge was expected to consider the request for new
representation in hearing to be held the week of March 23.

Smith said his lawyers want to argue that he suffers from an intellectual
disability, which Smith said is untrue.

"That is false defense that they're wanting to bring to the table because I've
worked for 20 years in big industrial companies like Timken," Smith said. "I
worked there 14 years. And see, the jury's not going to buy that..."

Smith said his lawyers used a similar defense when they represented Ricky Lee
Blackwell, who was sentenced to death in the 2009 murder of an 8-year-old girl.

"I don't think that that was a fair trial for him (Blackwell), and I don't
think they're trying to give me a fair trial in mine," Smith said.

Smith's major point of contention surrounds a recording of a 911 call from the
day of the murders. Smith said the call contains crucial information about the
case and his lawyers do not want to use the call as part of their defense.

"I think that it (the 911 call) really helps my case," Smith said. "I think
that my attorneys have a personal issue with my case instead of a professional
one. And I don't think that's fair toward me, because like in any situation of
a case, there's a reason why things happen, you know, in a case. I know in the
story that was publicized against me in the newspaper said that I went up there
to my ex-wife's house in a jealous rage and, you know, because I had lost her
to another man, but that wasn't true."

Smith said there are many more details in the story that are explained in the
911 call.

"I think the victims have a right to know what happened in the case," Smith
said. "I think my family has right to know, and it's not going to be presented
in that way if I'm represented by these attorneys because they're trying to go
around everything that truly happened and I'm trying to tell the truth. You
know, whether if I get the death penalty or not I just want a fair trial, and I
don't think I'm going to get that from my attorneys."

Prosecutors initially denied a request filed by Smith's lawyers in 2010 which
Stated Smith would plead guilty to the killings and serve life in prison
without parole if prosecutors would agree not to seek the death penalty.

Former 7th Circuit Solicitor Trey Gowdy said that the state would seek capital
punishment.

"A jury needs to determine what the proper punishment is for an alleged triple
homicide," Gowdy said in 2010.

Since then, Smith said his lawyers had not attempted to make any other plea
deals.

"I don't really think that my lawyers are trying to work out a plea with me.
They haven't done, you know, like any defensive strategy in my case," Smith
said. "It's just really constitutionally unfair you know for me."

Smith said he has the constitutional right to a fair trial and he will fight to
make sure he gets one.

"I was always a well-respected person in the community, Smith said. "I paid my
taxes. I paid my child support. I always tried to do things right in my life
until that situation that happened in April of 2010."

If his request for new legal representation is denied, Smith said he will
consider representing himself as a last resort.

Smith said he has purchased a legal dictionary and has been researching ways to
file motions and represent himself but does not feel confident that he could
defend himself in a trial.

"I really don't want to represent myself because I know that would be bad
because I don't know how to do a trial," Smith admitted.

(source: foxcarolina.com)

FLORIDA:

Setting death penalty standards

A state Senate bill endorsed in committee last week would rectify a
longstanding weakness in Florida's death-sentencing standards.

The changes, if they become law, might make it harder for a court to hand down
a death sentence because juries would have to show far more rigor in
deliberating whether to recommend the "ultimate penalty."

That would be an important advance from Florida's current process, which does
not require a unanimous vote when juries recommend death. (In the earlier
guilt-finding phase, a unanimous verdict is required.)

The simple-majority standard makes Florida an ???outlier??? among the 31 states
that allow the death penalty. Most set tougher standards. The U.S. Supreme
Court has noted the discrepancy and will hear a Florida case about this in its
session beginning next fall.

Meanwhile, the state Senate's Criminal Justice Committee took up reforms last
week, endorsing Senate Bill 664 by a 5-0 vote.

The bill would require unanimity in order for a jury to issue a recommendation
to a judge that a death sentence be imposed. But in procedures leading up to
that recommendation, the bill would make another important change as the jurors
weigh so-called aggravating factors - at least 1 of which is required to
justify a death sentence.

"The jury must certify in writing that each aggravating circumstance used to
support its recommendation of death was found to exist beyond a reasonable
doubt by a unanimous vote," according to the legislative analysis of SB 664.
That's significant because, under the bill, the judge would be allowed to
consider "only the aggravating factors unanimously found to exist by the jury,"
the analysis notes.

Under current practice, the jury is required neither to list any of the 16
aggravating factors nor to agree unanimously on them.

Under SB 664, jurors also would have to agree unanimously that aggravating
factors outweighed mitigating factors.

If signed into law, these changes would take effect for cases in which the
sentencing process begins on or after July 1.

The proposal could reduce the number of death appeals that crowd the state
Supreme Court's docket. It also stands to reason that the jurors' deliberations
would slow down - becoming more painstaking and cautious. According to the
legislative analysis, "there may be more death penalty cases taken to trial,
rather than pleas entered, because it will be less likely that a defendant will
receive the death penalty under the bill's provisions."

Of 296 cases in Florida heard from 2000 through 2012, only 102 of the death
recommendations were based on supermajority or unanimous agreement from the
jurors.

Requiring unanimity, as SB 664 would do, might result in more
life-without-parole sentences. That could rub voters the wrong way. A majority
say they support the death penalty; many simply object to how long it takes the
state to execute the condemned.

Yet Florida also leads the nation in the number of death row inmates later let
go because of post-conviction exonerations and dismissed charges.

Coming so perilously close to executing the wrong people is a sign that the
process needs more thoroughness, deliberation and clarity for jurors. SB 664
could help with all those aspects. We urge lawmakers to approve this
legislation.

(source: Ocala Star Banner)

ALABAMA:

Penalty phase of the Joyce Garrard trial set to begin Monday

The jury that convicted Joyce Garrard of capital murder will be the same one
hearing arguments Monday about whether the 49-year-old should receive life in
prison without parole or be put to death.

The penalty phase begins at 9 a.m. in the Etowah County Courthouse. The
prosecution is expected to make arguments as to why Garrard should be executed.

The defense is expected to counter with why her life should be spared. In order
to recommend a death sentence, at least 10 of the 12 jurors must vote in favor
of it.

In Alabama, a jury's recommendation is just that, a recommendation. The
ultimate decision will rest with the judge.

Now the 49 year old was convicted Friday evening of capital murder. Prosecutors
say Garrard killed her granddaughter in 2012 by forcing 9-year-old Savannah
Hardin to run non-stop as punishment for lying about eating a candy bar.

Savannah collapsed, and had a seizure. She died a few days later.

If Garrard does receive a death sentence, she'll become the 4th woman currently
on Alabama's death row.

The child's step-mother, Jessica Mae Hardin, is also awaiting trial for her
alleged role in Savannah's death. Prosecutors say she failed to intervene or
help the 9-year old.

(source: WBRC news)

*********************

Action in Tommy Arthur case put on hold

A federal court decision this week has put on hold any action in death-row
inmate Tommy Arthur's case, including a May court hearing, until the U.S.
Supreme Court hears arguments about the effectiveness of the lethal injection
drug midazolam.

The order last Wednesday from U.S. District Chief Judge Keith Watkins cites
other delays in death row cases in Alabama.

Watkins' ruling said, "... the state has conceded that the best course of
action is to stay decisions on the lethal injection cases across the board
until Glossip is decided."

The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in late April. A decision is
expected by the end of June.

Arthur was set for execution in February, his 6th execution date in more than
30 years on death row. It was stayed last month, and Watkins said Arthur was
entitled to a trial on his objection to the state's lethal injection formula
and to a final decision on the merits of his claims. That trial was to be held
in U.S. District Court on May 5.

Arthur is challenging the state's 3-drug lethal injection formula as possibly
constituting cruel and unusual punishment. Specifically the challenge involves
midazolam hydrochloride and whether it sufficiently renders an inmate
unconscious before the other 2 execution drugs are administered.

(source: Times Daily)

ARKANSAS:

AG Rutledge: 8 death row cases ready for execution phase

With the Arkansas Supreme Court ruling this past week declaring the state's
lethal injection procedures as constitutional, executions in Arkansas are set
to move forward after a decade of being on hold.

Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge, who appeared on this week's edition
of Talk Business & Politics on KATV Ch. 7, said there are 32 inmates on death
row, with 8 inmates having exhausted all of their appeals. Still, she said,
carrying out the death penalty won't be immediate.

"This is not something that's going to happen in the next couple of weeks. I
know there's quite a bit of angst and talk about that because of the Supreme
Court's decision," said Rutledge, whose office works with the governor's
administration to coordinate state executions.

She said the Department of Corrections must first obtain the drugs needed in
order to carry out lethal injections.

"Once they do that, we'll be able to send the names to the governor," Rutledge
said.

Prison systems around the country have had difficulty obtaining drugs for
lethal injections as manufacturers have either refused to sell the drugs for
execution purposes or they have decided against it to avoid the publicity and
protests that accompany the sales.

Even for those inmates whose appeals are exhausted, Rutledge said she expects
new rounds of lawsuits to occur.

"I am certain there will be litigation because of the seriousness of the issue
at hand," she said.

Rutledge also said she's working with the state legislature to find ways to
strengthen Arkansas' death penalty law.

"Some of the things that we're looking at are confidentiality of companies that
provide the drugs necessary to carry out a lethal injection. Because of so many
protests and public scrutiny that comes to those companies, many states have
gone this direction in order to protect the private businesses," she said.

(source: thecitywire.com)

***************

Innocent and on Death Row: A Conversation With Death-Row Exoneree Gary Drinkard

The National Lawyers Guild-UA Chapter will present Gary Drinkard on Tuesday,
March 31, from noon to 12:50 p.m. in Leflar Law Building 342. Drinkard, a death
row exoneree, will speak about his wrongful conviction and experience on
Alabama's death row.

Drinkard was charged with the robbery and the murder of a 65-year-old
automotive junk dealer in Decatur, Alabama. Unable to afford an attorney, he
was assigned 2 lawyers who had no experience trying criminal cases. Despite his
presence at home at the time of the murders and his debilitating back injury,
he was convicted and sentenced to death in 1995. Surprisingly, the conviction
primarily rested on testimonies given by his half-sister and her husband. Both
faced charges for unrelated crimes; however, in exchange for testifying, his
half-sister's charges were dismissed.

In 2000, the Alabama Supreme Court ordered a new trial due to prosecutorial
misconduct and, with the help of the Southern Center for Human Rights, Drinkard
won acquittal in 2001. The center later represented him before the United
States Senate Judiciary Committee to illustrate the urgent need for competent
lawyers for those facing the death penalty. Today, Drinkard lives and works in
Alabama and remains active in the movement to abolish the death penalty.

The National Lawyers Guild is a national non-profit legal and political
organization comprised of lawyers, legal workers, law students, and jailhouse
lawyers, now celebrating 75 years since the guild's founding. It represents
progressive political movements, using the law to protect human rights above
property interests and to attain social justice.

This event is supported by the Student Activities Fee as a funded event by the
Associated Student Government and is free to all currently enrolled University
of Arkansas, Fayetteville, students who pay the student activities fee. For
questions about the event or for accommodations due to disability please
contact behime at uark.edu or 918-399-6153.

(source: University of Arkansas news)