[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, PENN., N.C., S.C., LA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Jun 24 09:24:31 CDT 2015

June 24

TEXAS:

Visualization: A Shrinking Texas Death Row

The number of inmates on Texas' death row is falling.

At its peak in 1999, 460 men and women were living with a death sentence in
Texas, according to the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). Today,
there are 260.

The reason for the decline isn't a rise in executions. In 2000, an all-time
high of 40 inmates were executed in Texas, compared with 10 last year. So far
this year, 9 inmates have been executed.

The main reason is a drop in new death sentences. In 1999, 48 people were
sentenced to Texas death row, according to BJS data. In 2008, that number was 9
- and has stayed in that range ever since. This year, there have been no new
death sentences so far, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice
(TDCJ).

Kathryn Kase, executive director of the Texas Defender Service, a nonprofit
organization of death penalty attorneys, said that zero is significant.

"This is the longest we've gone in a calendar year in Texas without a new death
sentence," Kase said. "Before this year, the longest that we've gone is through
the first quarter."

Experts suggest several factors could be contributing to the falling number of
death sentences, from a national decline in support for the death penalty to
shortages of the lethal drugs used in executions. In 2005, the U.S. Supreme
Court ruled that juvenile offenders could not face execution, lessening future
sentences as well as sparing 29 offenders who were already sitting on death
row.

But consistently, they point to a 2005 law that offered Texas prosecutors the
option to pursue life-without-parole sentences against capital murder
defendants. Previously, capital murder offenders who did not receive the death
penalty were eligible for parole after 40 years.

"Life without parole allows us to go back and reverse our mistakes," Kase said.
"We can be really safe in these cases."

Since that law was enacted, the number of life-without-parole sentences has
increased nearly every year, according to TDCJ. Between 2007 and 2014, the
number of life-without-parole sentences jumped from 37 to 96. There are more
inmates in Texas serving life without parole than those with a death sentence.

(source: Texas Tribune)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Enforce death penalty

It would be interesting to know how many people have changed their minds
concerning the death penalty after they read or watched the escapades of those
recently escaped killers from New York.

It would be interesting to note also the entire cost of recapturing these
killers. More than likely, if all costs are totaled up, it would be equivalent
to more than a dozen workers' full pay for a year. And yet we fed the prisoners
and gave them care that would probably have been delayed for some needy
veterans.

A recent example locally was the killer who was responsible for the deaths of
four innocent people after he served 15 years for a previous killing. It is
certainly time for change.

Just what is the difference between a life sentence and the death penalty here
in Pennsylvania, especially Northampton County?

Richard K. Geyer

Hellertown

******************

Whose opinions on death penalty matter?

Unless someone in your family has been the victim of any death involving
crimes, you should stay out of any death penalty discussions and leave them to
folks who have suffered this terrible experience.

Let people who know about being related to the victim of a murder tell you what
you don't know and hopefully never will. It costs law-abiding, honest citizens
of our state more than $45,000 a year to keep each one of these parasites alive
and comfortable in prison while others suffer the pain of losing a loved one.
Families of victims are sentenced to a life of suffering

. We could do a lot more good with the $45,000 for the citizens of Pennsylvania
and for the families of victims of these parasites who find pleasure in
murdering. Forgiveness is always available for these parasites; then put them
down for society's good and theirs.

Gregg S. Heilman

Allentown

(source for both: Allentown Morning Call)

NORTH CAROLINA:

roposed budget cut could delay Wake death penalty trials

Nathan Holden is accused of killing his in-laws at their Wendell home and
trying to kill his wife last year. His trial is set for November, but it might
be postponed because his state-appointed attorneys' jobs are in jeopardy.

The Senate version of the 2015-16 state budget eliminates 7 positions from the
North Carolina Capital Defenders Office in Durham, including 4 lawyers who are
handling 22 murder cases across the state.

If the positions are eliminated when the House and the Senate reach a
compromise spending plan, the state will have bring in private attorneys who
will need to get up to speed on the cases, costing time and money.

"We're going to lose money in the short-term. We're going to delay cases," said
Tom Maher, executive director of the state Office of Indigent Defense Services,
which includes the Capital Defenders Office.

"It's vitally important for the system and for the defendant that the defendant
be well-represented," Maher said. "A jury that's going to be asked to make a
decision - literally a life or death decision - should be presented with a full
picture, not just of what the state says but the defense and the defendant's
background, so they have what they need to make and incredibly difficult
decision."

The proposed cuts not only slow the court system, they also affect victims'
families.

LaTonya Taylor survived the shooting that Holden is accused of, but her parents
did not.

"I understand what the state is doing, but I would be devastated if the trial
was delayed," Taylor said. "My family and I are ready to face this so that we
can move forward and continue healing."

"It prolongs everything," said her brother, Sylvester Taylor. "It can be
frustrating at times, but the outcome is out of our hands. We will just
continue to move forward."

Three other death penalty trials are pending in Wake County: Travion Smith, who
faces a September trial in the death of a woman in her North Hills apartment,
Gregory Crawford, who is charged with killing 2 people in Fuquay-Varina, and
Curtis Jackson, who is charged with killing a man in southeast Raleigh and
setting a fire to cover up the crime.

Sen. Stan Bingham, R-Davidson, said state spending needs to be reined in, and
with a crime rate on the decline, the Capital Defenders Office seemed like a
logical choice for a cut.

"It was a rather large expense," said Bingham, co-chairman of the Senate
Appropriations Committee on Justice and Public Safety. "If you've got 9
attorneys, you've got 2 cases (each) a year."

The local public defenders offices will be counted on to pick up some of the
slack, but the state will have to use taxpayer money to hire private attorneys
to defend many capital cases.

Wake County Public Defender Charles Caldwell said his staff handles more than
10,000 cases a year, most of them felonies, and doesn't have much time to spare
on a death-penalty case.

"If an attorney is tied up representing a death penalty client, that's going to
take a good part of that attorney's time," Caldwell said. "Our office is all
but full with the murder cases it can take right now."

(source: WRAL news)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

Why the South Carolina shooting suspect should not be called a terrorist

Was the massacre of 9 people at the Mother Emanuel AME Church in Charleston,
South Carolina an act of terrorism? Almost certainly, yes. Does this mean we
should be calling the suspect, Dylann Roof, a terrorist, and prosecuting him as
one? Probably not.

There is no single, universally accepted definition of "terrorism," but the
bare minimum on which terrorism scholars generally agree happens to be summed
up in federal law, which defines domestic terrorism as violent crime intended
"(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the
policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the
conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping." Put
more simply, terrorists target civilians and do so in ways intended for maximum
effect - to spread terror - in order to draw attention to their cause. From
what we know so far about Dylann Roof's apparent motivation and behavior, this
definition fits.

Many people have noted that the only obvious difference between Roof and the
people Americans have in recent years called terrorists is that Roof is white
and not Muslim. And many people have been arguing that we should be calling
Roof a terrorist as well. One petition, calling on the Department of Justice to
prosecute Roof as a terrorist, has gathered over 50,000 signatures. Another
petition, and many articles, have demanded that the media call Roof a
terrorist.

But when we talk about how to label an act in the public sphere, we are arguing
not only about the accuracy of a term but also about the purpose of using one
word rather than another. Calling Dylann Roof a terrorist could have 3 kinds of
consequences: legal, extralegal and rhetorical.

The petition addressed to the DOJ argues that it is imperative both to remove
the case from the jurisdiction of the state of South Carolina and to prosecute
it as an act of terrorism. Indeed, federal terrorism prosecutions are harsh,
thanks in part to mandatory sentencing guidelines that include the so-called
terrorism mark-up, which punish an illegal act more harshly if it was connected
to an act of terrorism than if it was not. The wisdom and logic of these
guidelines is questionable. One of the most remarkable cases of their
application is that of the Newburgh Four, a group of poor black men who were
blatantly entrapped by the FBI - and sentenced to 25 years in prison despite
the judge's expressed belief that they were guilty primarily of greed and
"buffoonery."

If prosecuted as a terrorist under federal law, Roof would likely face the
death penalty. But the governor of South Carolina has already called for the
death penalty in his case. Punishment doesn't get any harsher than that, so
calling Roof a terrorist would serve no clear pragmatic legal purpose.

The term "terrorism" has extra-Constitutional consequences: it opens the door
to wiretapping, phone tapping, and other sorts of surveillance. It has opened
the door to torture. I am fairly certain that the people calling for Roof to be
labeled a "terrorist" don't want more of that. Nor is the argument being made
that there is a hidden plot or a conspiracy that needs to be uncovered in this
case.

The rhetorical use of the word "terrorism" is probably the most salient here,
even for people who appear to be making a legal argument. Journalist Glenn
Greenwald has argued that the Dylann Roof case demonstrates that "terrorism" is
a meaningless term that has no consistent application. I would say that we use
the term when we want to "other" the perpetrator, to define him or her as both
less than human and possessed of superhuman powers.

The federal government has just finished prosecuting another 21-year-old
American for terrorism: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who will be sentenced by a federal
judge in Boston on Wednesday for his role in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.
I have written a book about the Tsarnaev brothers, and in the 2 months since it
was published, I have been accused, in print, of having "too much empathy" and
of engaging in the "narrative of Muslim immigrant victimhood." I don't know if
there is such a thing as having "too much empathy," but I am reasonably certain
that does not describe me. I also have no patience for victim narratives of any
sort. But I do think that the Boston bombers' life during the decade they spent
in the United States and in the years before they came here is relevant to
understanding their actions. More to the point, I think it is possible to gain
some understanding of why they did what they did - not to justify their crime,
nor to see it as pre-determined, but to gain a textured view of what happened,
and perhaps of why these kinds of crimes occur.

Using the word "terrorism" does not bring us any closer to that understanding.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will be sentenced to death; the judge in the case is bound by
the jury's verdict. The jury, for its part, arrived at its decision almost
instantly, taking a day and a half to go through a 24-page questionnaire - just
enough time to read out instructions and questions and take a count on each
vote. The argument against the death penalty - and for life imprisonment
without the possibility of parole - was, in essence, that the defendant was not
a monster but a person. The problem isn't that the jury rejected this argument:
the problem is that it didn't even entertain it. The way the word "terrorist"
is used in the United States, in the media or in the courts, precludes seeing
someone who took part in a terrorist act as a human being.

That, in turn, precludes understanding. Writing off horrific crimes as
incomprehensible and irrational makes things easier in the short run - by
giving us permission to stop thinking - but in the long run it ensures that
crimes that stem from the same roots will be repeated again and again.

That's why we shouldn't be calling Dylann Roof a terrorist. In fact, at this
point, we would be better off retiring the word altogether.

(source: Reuters)

LOUISIANA:

Executions on hold for at least a year as Louisiana sorts out death penalty
method

Executions in Louisiana are on hold for at least a year because the state
doesn't have the drugs needed to put inmates to death, according to a court
filing and a lawyer for a convicted child-killer.

Lawyers for Christopher Sepulvado and the state Department of Corrections were
supposed to be in federal court Thursday to schedule a trial on the
constitutionality of Louisiana's method of execution.

Instead, a federal judge on Tuesday delayed the trial and Sepulvado's execution
- as well as 4 others on death row - until July 2016 as Louisiana tries to
figure out how it can carry out the death penalty.

This is the 2nd time in a year that the state has asked to delay the trial.

States around the country have struggled to execute prisoners because of
shortages of lethal injection drugs. In a few cases, it's taken an unusually
long time for inmates to die from new drug combinations.

In the motion to delay the hearing, Department of Corrections attorney James
Hilburn wrote that "it would be a waste of resources and time to litigate this
matter at present" because the facts in the case are changing. He wrote that he
expects those issues to be "more settled" by July 2016.

Hilburn declined to elaborate on the reasons for the delay.

Louisiana's current death-penalty protocol calls for a mix of hydromorphone and
midazolam, the same drugs used last summer during an Arizona execution that
took nearly 2 hours to complete. Louisiana's last known supplies of the drugs
expired earlier this year.

Mercedes Montagnes, a lawyer for Sepulvado, said the state "came to us after
they were unable to locate any legal source for lethal injection drugs and
asked for another year to come up with a new method of execution or source of
drugs."

Sepulvado, who was convicted of beating his stepson with a screwdriver and then
submerging his body in scalding water, has delayed his execution several times
in the past 2 years.

In his lawsuit, he argues that the state's execution method violates his
constitutional protection against cruel and unusual punishment.

As part of that lawsuit, Sepulvado has sought to learn the exact procedure
Louisiana will use to put him to death. The state has fought such disclosures
in court and in response to public-records requests filed by The Lens.

Meanwhile, Louisiana corrections officials have gotten more creative in getting
their hands on execution drugs and have considered new ways to carry out the
death penalty.

In January 2014, as Sepulvado's last execution date approached, the Louisiana
Department of Corrections turned to Lake Charles Memorial Hospital for one of
the 2 drugs it needed to execute him.

According to a hospital spokesman, the state lied to the Lake Charles
pharmacist, saying the hydromorphone was for "a medical patient" rather than a
prisoner on death row.

"At no time was Memorial told the drug would be used for an execution,"
spokesman Matt Felder said at the time.

The state considered getting another drug from an out-of-state compounding
pharmacy not licensed in Louisiana, which would have been illegal.

In 2014, the Legislature considered reinstating electrocution. It's been
outlawed since 1991.

At the request of Department of Corrections Secretary Jimmy LeBlanc, the bill
was changed to drop electrocution and instead conceal details about executions,
including the source of execution drugs. It was never passed.

Other states, including Arizona, Missouri and Oklahoma, have passed such
secrecy laws.

In February, Louisiana corrections officials asked legislators to allow them to
use nitrogen, which has never been tried in the U.S. No bill was introduced.

Death-penalty opponents have responded to drawn-out executions around the
country by calling execution methods "experimental."

Last year, a prisoner in Oklahoma tried to rise from the gurney after his
injections began. In April, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments on the
constitutionality of that state's execution method.

That execution used midazolam, 1 of the 2 drugs called for by Louisiana. It
prompted Louisiana officials to say they would reconsider the drug.

The state has not said what method it would use instead.

"Obviously whatever plan the state comes up with will have to be evaluated by
the court for its constitutionality," Montagnes said.

Other death-row inmates who won stays of execution with Tuesday's ruling are:

--Jesse Hoffman, who was convicted and sentenced to death in 1998 for
kidnapping, raping and fatally shooting Covington resident Mary "Molly" Elliot
in 1996

--Bobby Hampton, who was convicted of robbing a liquor store in Shreveport and
causing the death of employee Philip Russel Coleman in 1995

--Nathaniel Code, a Shreveport man convicted of four killings between 1984 and
1987

--Kevan Brumfield, who was convicted and sentenced to death in 1995 for the
1993 murder of Baton Rouge police officer Betty Smothers

Of the 5, only Sepulvado has been given an execution date.

Lawyers are set to meet July 11, 2016, to set a new trial date in his lawsuit.

(source: The Lens)

**********************

Orleans Parish DA Leon Cannizzaro could face pressure to pursue death penalty
in Travis Boys case

For all the killing that plagues New Orleans, the death penalty has essentially
been phased out of the city's criminal justice system during the last 2
decades.

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro has sought capital punishment sparingly since
taking office in 2008, and Orleans Parish juries have become decidedly wary of
sending even the most depraved criminals to death row. They're rarely asked to
do it.

In the coming months, however, Cannizzaro could face more pressure than he has
in years to pursue the death penalty in the case of Travis Boys, the
33-year-old accused of fatally shooting New Orleans Police Officer Daryle
Holloway last weekend in a brazen escape from custody. Police captured Boys
early Sunday after an exhaustive manhunt.

Louisiana law defines the slaying of a peace officer as 1st-degree murder,
affording prosecutors the option of seeking a capital verdict if they see fit.
In the face of what appears to be strong evidence, including footage captured
by Holloway's body-worn camera, Cannizzaro will have to decide whether to
expend limited resources on a death penalty prosecution that could play out for
years. The 2nd-term district attorney, who declined to comment for this
article, could also seek a punishment of life in prison, the only other
sentence available for the murder of a policeman.

Donald "Chick" Foret, a former prosecutor who has followed Cannizzaro's office
closely, said he believes "the community is going to demand that he seek the
death penalty" against Boys. "If you're not going to do it in this case, with a
cop killer, you might as well just take it off the books," Foret said.

Before announcing his intentions, Cannizzaro likely will weigh the wishes of
Holloway's family, as well as the so-called aggravating circumstances of Boys'
case. He might also take into account Boys' previous convictions for aggravated
escape, carjacking and cruelty to juveniles, among others.

"Even though on paper it's clearly a capital case, I think what you will see is
the DA's office is going to review all the facts," said Rafael Goyeneche, a
former prosecutor and president of the Metropolitan Crime Commission. "It's not
like they're going to consider offering this offender manslaughter. It's either
going to be life (in prison) or death."

The calculus is far simpler for many law enforcement officials in New Orleans,
who consider Holloway's killing a personal affront to the rule of law. Since
the officer's death, some of Holloway's colleagues have struggled to put into
words the feeling of shock and devastation that has gripped them.

"It's the fact that we are responsible for the safety of the public, and when
we fail to do that for ourselves, it's an enormous blow," said Capt. Michael
Glasser, president of the Police Association of New Orleans. Glasser said he
supports the death penalty in Boys' case, adding he would be surprised if
Cannizzaro decided not to pursue it. "I think the only thing more egregious
than this (type of killing) is when there are multiple victims," he said.

Donovan Livaccari, an attorney for the Fraternal Order of Police, said that
talk among the ranks hasn't yet turned from Boys' arrest to his prosecution. He
noted, however, that "police officers are generally law-and-order folks, and
(capital punishment) is the law in Louisiana."

"They will be interested in seeing that justice is done," Livaccari said,
referring to the evidence against Boys as "pretty damning."

Capital punishment has fallen into steep decline around the country amid a
parade of DNA exonerations and the growing acceptance by juries of alternative
sentences like life without parole. Like several other states, Louisiana has
struggled to procure lethal injection drugs in the face of a manufacturing
shortfall. The state has not executed a prisoner since January 2010, when
Gerald Bordelon waived his right to an appeal. Before that, the state's last
execution happened in 2002.

In New Orleans, a city that has no shortage of heinous murders, the death
penalty has become almost a relic. Death verdicts were not uncommon during the
tenure of former District Attorney Harry Connick Sr., but they had grown rare
by the time Connick left office in 2003. Cannizzaro, who took the helm in 2008,
has sought capital punishment on occasion, but an Orleans Parish jury has not
sentenced a defendant to death in nearly 6 years.

And that sentence, in the case of quintuple murderer Michael "Mike-Mike"
Anderson, was overturned within months. Anderson, who slaughtered 5 teens in
Central City, is serving life in federal prison. Before Anderson, the city's
last death sentence came in September 1997 in the case of Phillip Anthony, a
man convicted of fatally shooting 3 employees at Louisiana Pizza Kitchen.

Capital cases are inherently complicated to prosecute and often take several
years to come to trial. To secure a death sentence, prosecutors must persuade
all 12 jurors in both the guilt and penalty phases of a bifurcated trial, while
non-capital cases in Louisiana - even for crimes that carry a mandatory life
sentence - can be decided even with a split verdict of 10-2.

Even after conviction, capital cases tend to drag on because there is a more
robust appeal process.

"In a lot of these cases, the family members are looking for closure and they
don't want to see a case remain open and subject to the lengthy appellate
process," Goyeneche said.

Still, the callous killing of a police officer in the line of duty might be
viewed as a horse of a different color, even by the most liberal Orleans Parish
jury, said Roger Jordan, a former assistant district attorney under Connick who
prosecuted Anthony. Not only had Holloway been carrying out his lawful duties
at the time he was shot, Jordan said, but Boys also is accused of aggravated
escape, a contemporaneous felony, and eluding capture for an entire day.

"He just shot him in cold blood, and I wouldn't put it past an Orleans jury to
give this defendant the death penalty because these facts just scream for it,"
Jordan said. "I couldn't see (Cannizzaro) taking this as a non-capital case."

Death penalty opponents said they hoped a more circumspect and dispassionate
approach would prevail. Beth Compa, an attorney with The Promise of Justice
Initiative, encouraged authorities "not to expend state money on a policy that
does not deter crime and is based upon anger or revenge.

"We abhor what happened to Officer Holloway," Compa said. But even in cases
like Boys' and the church massacre last week in South Carolina, she said,
officials should examine "the root causes of violence, and place funds and
support where they are needed most - in crime prevention, victim assistance and
police services."

In the meantime, Boys has been jailed without bail and appointed 2 defense
attorneys, including 1 who heads the capital division of the Orleans Public
Defenders.

Holloway's uncle, New Orleans attorney David Belfield, said the family remains
in mourning and hasn't yet broached the topic of capital punishment. He said
Holloway's mother "demanded that (Boys) be treated fairly" upon his arrest,
apparently worried her son's colleagues might be tempted to exact retribution
on behalf of their slain brother.

"She didn't want the story to be about the mistreatment of the perpetrator,"
Belfield said.

(source: The New Orleans Advocate)