[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----FLA., IDAHO, USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Jun 1 15:40:41 CDT 2015

my next posting to this list will be Saturday, June 13

June 1

FLORIDA:

Trial begins for Gardens man accused of killing cross-dressing man

Luis Rijo De Los Santos was haunted by bad luck the night in March 2014 that
ended after he shot 3 cross-dressing prostitutes, 1 of them fatally, his
attorney told a Palm Beach County Circuit Court jury this morning.

Disputing prosecutors theory that the 25-year-old lured the 3 men into his SUV
with kind words and a welcoming smile, attorney Marc Shiner claimed Rijo De Los
Santos was the victim of violent, drug-using prostitutes. When they tried to
rob him, he was forced to retaliate, he told the jurors during the opening day
of the murder trial where the death penalty is at stake.

"Mr. Rijo De Los Santos made some bad choices ... that night," Shiner said.
But, he insisted, the Palm Beach Gardens man who held down 2 jobs while helping
his girlfriend raise her 12-year-old daughter, is no cold-blooded killer. He
acted in self defense, he insisted.

Looking for sex after his girlfriend fell asleep, Rijo De Los Santos thought he
got lucky when 3 attractive blondes waved him down on North Dixie Highway,
Shiner said.

However, when Tyrell Jackson and Michael Hunter got into his SUV, he realized
they were men and ordered them to get out of his Buick Rendezvous. They refused
and instead threatened him with a knife, Shiner said.

When they got out of the SUV at a convenience store on Broadway in Riviera
Beach to meet their drug dealer, Rijo De Los Santos grabbed the gun he kept in
the pocket of the vehicle and began firing. Jackson would later die from his
injuries while Hunter, who was shot in the arm, recovered.

"He didn't know if he shot anyone," Shiner said. "He shoots the gun several
times and they ran away."

Confused and dazed, Rijo De Los Santos headed south. Coincidentally, he sees
the man who was with Jackson and Hunter when he initially encountered the trio.

"Do you know your friends almost killed me and tried to rob me?" Shiner asks
Terence Chatman. Instead of responding, Chatman jumps into the SUV and also
threatens Rijo De Los Santos with a knife. Again, faced with no choice, Rijo De
Los Santos fires his .44-caliber semi-automatic handgun at Chatman when the two
stop at a secluded area off Broward Avenue in West Palm Beach, Shiner said.

"He is not guilty of a single crime that night," Shiner concluded. "He got
himself in a situation he never should have gotten himself in."

Assistant State Attorney Lauren Godden gave jurors a far different version of
events. Rijo De Los Santos left his Palm Beach Gardens home with the intent of
hunting down transgender men and punishing them, she said.

While Hunter and Jackson were friends, they didn't know Chatman, she said.
Their only connection was that all 3 were cross-dressing prostitutes and all
encountered Rijo Del Santos that night.

After seeing videos that captured much of what happened, she predicted jurors
would convict Rijo De Los Santos of 1st-degree murder in Jackson???s death and
2 counts of attempted 1st-degree murder for shooting Chatman and Hunter. The
trial, that continues this afternoon, is expected to last a week.

(source: Palm Beach Post)

IDAHO:

Poll: End Idaho Death Penalty

Weekend Poll: A slight majority of Hucks Nation said Idaho should follow
Nebraska's lead and become the 2nd red state to abolish the death penalty. 122
of 241 repondents (50.62%) want the death penalty banned in the Gem State. 115
of 241 respondents (47.22%) voted to keep the death penalty. 4 (1.66%) were
undecided.

(source: Spokesman-Review)

USA:

Nebraska's death penalty ban is huge news

The fact that a conservative state like Nebraska has repealed the death penalty
is a major landmark. It's a Nixon-visits-Red-China moment.

For many years, being anti-death penalty has been viewed as a liberal issue
only. The momentum now is unmistakable. Ten states have either ended the death
penalty or officially suspended executions in quick succession since 2007. That
includes strong pushes for change in conservative states like Kansas and
Kentucky.

Why? The public has seen us convict the wrong people, spend a fortune
imprisoning people on death row - and they typically feel no safer as a result.

Little wonder public support for the death penalty has been falling for some
time. A majority of Americans, when asked to decide between the alternative of
life without parole or death, choose the former.

For some, like George Will, the death penalty is simply another failed
government program. For others such as the redoubtable Sister Helen Prejean, it
is morally wrong to kill, no matter who does it or why.

For many, it is a combination of practical factors that have pulled them away
from support. As Justice Harry Blackmun said in his famous dissent in 1994,
some Americans no longer wish to "tinker with the machinery of death."

American juries ruling on potential capital cases must be "death qualified" -
that is, anyone who opposes the death penalty cannot sit. Yet at the same time,
the jury must able to consider mitigating evidence.

These contradictions within the system itself make it unwieldy, expensive and
prone to error.

The coalition of folks who ended the death penalty in Nebraska was similar to
the one I had the privilege of assisting in Illinois: victims' family members,
some law enforcement, the wrongfully convicted, fiscal conservatives,
right-to-life advocates, and, yes, liberals.

We may not have agreed on many if not most things, but we agreed that the death
penalty had failed. In Illinois at the time we abolished the death penalty, we
had executed 12 people and exonerated 19, a dismal record.

That is what the Nebraska legislature found as well: The death penalty cost
more, did not deter crime, didn't give victims' family members the peace they
sought, and tended to draw precious resources away from other safety and public
health issues.

Ask most of the front lines of public safety, doctors, fire fighters, police
officers, teachers and the like if severe punishment is where we should put our
resources, and they will tell you no. They will tell you we need better schools
and mental health facilities, that the epidemic of drug addiction (including
alcohol) would be better served by a public health approach.

They will tell you that the answers to questions about violence are not known,
but that violence usually only breeds more violence. In fact the only study
that found a discernible impact on the question of whether the death penalty
deters crime was a study that showed that homicides went up by a few percentage
points in the few days after an execution in the state where it occurred.

In the law there is a canon called "evolving standards of decency." What that
means is that as we evolve as a nation and grow, we no longer find it
acceptable to execute for theft (as we used to for horse thieves, for instance)
or to put someone in the stocks or lash them with a whip.

The United States Supreme Court has found that those same evolving standards of
decency forbid the execution of children or adults with mental retardation.
What Nebraska's repeal tells us is that as a nation, we are evolving away from
the death penalty entirely.

(source: Commentary; Andrea Lyon is dean of Valparaiso Law School----New York
Daily News)

************

Poll: Voters evenly split on the death penalty

While American voters may be moving left on many social issues, the question of
the death penalty continues to split voters almost down the middle.

According to a Quinnpiac University poll released Monday, by a 48-43 % margin,
a plurality of voters said a person convicted of murder should receive a
sentence of life without parole instead of the death penalty.

While the plurality support life without parole on some murder cases, when it
comes to terrorism the tide shifts. The Q Poll found that voters said if a
person is convicted of murder during an act of terror, they should receive the
death penalty by a 58-36 % margin.

Going further, by a margin of 62-34 %, voters said Boston marathon bomber
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should receive the death penalty for his conviction.

The issue of the death penalty has come back to the forefront in many states as
companies continue to make it harder and harder for states to get the drugs
used in the death penalty cocktail.

Last week, Nebraska became the latest state to outlaw the death penalty. The
state's unicameral legislature overrode a veto from the state's governor to
outlaw the death penalty in the state.

(source: KVUE news)