[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----PENN., S.C., FLA., OHIO, COLO., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Jul 21 16:19:59 CDT 2015

July 21

PENNSYLVANIA:

Wolf asks court to uphold death-penalty ban

Gov. Wolf Tuesday asked the state Supreme Court to ignore Attorney General
Kathleen Kane's challenge to his death-penalty moratorium, arguing that the
justices already have decided to consider a similar petition brought by the
Philadelphia District Attorney.

In a court filing that responds to Kane's petition, Wolf also repeated the
claim he's made since February: That he has the right under the state
Constitution to stay executions as he awaits a Senate report on capital
punishment.

The death-penalty issue has presented yet another challenge to Wolf, this time
from members of his own party, as he tries to carry out a sweeping agenda that
sharply contrast with that of his Republican predecessor.

The 1st-year governor is in a protracted fight with Republicans over his
budget, now 3 weeks overdue. He's also tangling with the GOP in the state's
courts over the director of Pennsylvania's Office of Open Records, Erik
Arneson, whom Wolf fired in January.

The state's Commonwealth Court reinstated Arneson last month, saying the
governor had overstepped his authority. Wolf is appealing the case to the
Supreme Court.

Kane filed her petition before the state high court on July 6, asking the
justices to allow the execution of Hubert L. Michael Jr., a York County man who
confessed to murdering a teenager two decades ago. Kane, a Democrat, said Wolf
abused his powers, ignoring state law and a jury's verdict when he issued
temporary reprieve to the killer.

Philadelphia DA Seth Williams, also a Democrat, made an almost identical
argument in February regarding Terry Williams, who was sentenced to die in 1984
for the killing of Amos Norwood, a Germantown church volunteer. The state
Supreme Court decided in March to review the DA's petition, scheduling a Sept.
10 hearing.

Responding to Kane on Tuesday, Wolf's attorneys argued that "judicial economy
would be frustrated by requiring the parties to submit redundant briefing each
time a prosecutor challenges a gubernatorial reprieve."

Currently 186 people are on death row in Pennsylvania. But only 3 have been
executed since Pennsylvania reinstated capital punishment in 1978 - 2 in 1995,
the the 3rd in 1999. All 3 had ended their appeals and asked to be executed.

A month after taking office, Wolf issued his moratorium, which he said would
continue until after he gets the report of a task force studying the future of
capital punishment.

"This decision is based on a flawed system that has been proven to be an
endless cycle of court proceedings as well as ineffective, unjust, and
expensive," Wolf said in February.

(source: philly.com)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

South Carolina death row inmates won't be executed anytime soon----SCDOC
director 'unsuccessful in acquiring lethal injection drugs'

As South Carolina's top prison boss, Bryan Stirling must be able to carry out
an execution when given the order.

But Stirling told WYFF News 4 Investigates if an order to execute a death row
inmate came tomorrow, his agency would not be able to comply.

"The anti-death penalty people have been very effective in stopping drug
companies from selling lethal injection drugs to states," Stirling said. "Once
we tell these companies who we're with, the conversation stops."

South Carolina is one of many states whose death penalties are on hold because
of drug companies' refusal to supply pentobarbital, a sedative used in lethal
injection cocktails.

Stirling said he is deciding whether another sedative, midazolam, could be a
suitable substitute for pentobarbital.

Last year, midazolam was blamed for a botched execution in Oklahoma. But this
summer, the drug was deemed constitutional by U.S. Supreme Court.

Stirling said he wants to make sure midazolam is right for South Carolina.

"The Supreme Court talked about some of the folks in other states suffering for
almost an hour. We would have to be comfortable that that would not happen,"
Stirling said.

When Dylann Roof, 21, was charged with the shooting deaths of nine people at
Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, Gov. Nikki Haley told NBC's "Today Show"
that Roof should receive the ultimate punishment.

"We absolutely will want him to have the death penalty. This is the worst hate
that I have seen and that the country has seen in a long time," Haley said.

Stirling said his agency has not been pressured to speed up its search for
lethal injection drugs in the wake of the Charleston church shootings.

He said until the state creates a shield law to protect the names of companies
that supply these cocktails, manufacturers will be reluctant to sell them.

(source: WYFF news)

FLORIDA:

Judge rules James Rhodes not disabled, could face death penalty

A Duval County judge ruled James Rhodes is intellectually sufficient to face
the death penalty if convicted. He's accused of killing 20-year-old Shelby
Farah 2-years ago during a robbery at the MetroPCS store she was working at.

(source: news4jax.com)

OHIO:

Ohio AG appeals new trial order for death row inmate

The Ohio attorney general has told the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that
his office will appeal a judge's order granting a new trial to a man on death
row for the slaying of a Cleveland police officer in 2000.

Attorney General Mike DeWine said in a statement Monday that he strongly
disagrees with last week's ruling. A federal judge in Toledo said 44-year-old
Quisi Bryan should get a new aggravated murder trial in the killing of Wayne
Leon at a Cleveland gas station because a prosecutor improperly excluded a
black woman from the jury because of her race.

Bryan didn't dispute killing Leon during his trial and the jury recommended the
death penalty. He's also serving lengthy prison sentences for multiple rape
convictions.

(source: Associated Press)

COLORADO:

A Look at Colorado's Record on the Death Penalty

Colorado theater shooter James Holmes will be sentenced to either death or life
in prison without parole after the penalty phase of his trial, which starts
Wednesday. Either way, Holmes can expect to spend decades in prison. Here's a
look at Colorado's record on the death penalty:

LAST EXECUTION

Colorado has executed only one person since 1967, Gary Lee Davis, who was put
to death in 1997 for kidnapping and raping Virginia May, 33, near her Byers
home, then shooting her 14 times with a .22-caliber rifle.

****

EXECUTION METHOD

Colorado law calls for lethal injections to be applied at the Colorado State
Penitentiary in Canon City.

****

DEATH ROW

Colorado has no physical "death row." Inmates awaiting execution are held with
others serving lesser sentences in "management control units" at the Sterling
Correctional Facility in southern Colorado. These units are more closely
monitored than other parts of the maximum security prison, but inmates awaiting
capital punishment live in similar conditions.

****

WHO'S ON IT

NATHAN DUNLAP: Dunlap, now 41, was sentenced to die in 1996 for the shooting
deaths of 4 workers - including 3 teens - who were cleaning a Chuck E. Cheese
restaurant in Aurora. The U.S. Supreme Court rejected his last guaranteed
appeal in February 2013, but Gov. John Hickenlooper granted him an indefinite
reprieve in May 2013, nearly 20 years after his conviction and just three
months before he was set to die. A future governor could lift the reprieve.

SIR MARIO OWENS: Owens, now 30, was sentenced to die 2008 for the shooting
deaths of Javad Marshall-Fields and his fiancee, Vivian Wolfe. Marshall-Fields,
21, was scheduled to testify against Owens and another man in a separate
slaying. He and Wolfe, 22, were killed in 2005 while sitting in a car in
Aurora. Appeals are pending.

ROBERT RAY: Ray, now 29, also was sentenced to die in 2009 for the shooting
deaths of Javad Marshall-Fields and Vivian Wolfe. Marshall-Fields was set to
testify against Ray and Sir Mario Owens in a separate slaying. Appeals are
pending.

Hongli Sun Could Face Death Penalty in Fatal Stabbing of Wife's Former Boss and
Lover

An Irvine engineer faces, at best, life in prison without the possibility of
parole and, at worst, the death penalty if he is convicted of murdering an
Irvine dentist who'd had an affair with the defendant's wife, who'd worked at
the same dental office.

In charging 38-year-old Hongli Sun with felony assault with a deadly weapon and
sentencing enhancements for great bodily injury and the personal use of a
deadly weapon, the Orange County District Attorney's office (OCDA) added a
felony count of special circumstances murder by lying in wait. That means the
district attorney or a special panel of prosecutors could decide at a later
date to pursue the death penalty.

Sun, who was being held without bail, was expected to be arraigned some time
today at the Central Jail in Santa Ana.

The allegation of lying in wait with the intent to murder stems from Sun being
accused of sitting in his Mercedes SUV Saturday afternoon, seeing 54-year-old
Xuan Liu walking in the parking lot and intentionally driving toward the older
man, who was hit by the vehicle.

"As Liu attempted to stand up, Sun is accused of getting out of his SUV and
approaching the victim with a knife. Sun is accused of stabbing Liu," reads an
OCDA arraignment statement that notes Liu was pronounced dead at the scene as a
result of his injuries.

Liu had a dental practice in Irvine, where Sun's wife, Huaying Chen, worked
last summer. Sun and Chen married in Singapore in 2003 and separated in Orange
County on Sept. 16.

In divorce papers reviewed by City News Service, Chen listed Liu as her
"boyfriend." But she and Sun, who have an 8-year-old son together, later
reconciled and stopped divorce proceedings in November.

"At the time our Judgment of Dissolution was entered, we each believed
irreconcilable differences caused the irremediable breakdown of our marriage,
However, we were both mistaken ...," reads a court filing. "For a host of
personal, cultural, and religious reasons, we do not want any public record to
reflect that we are divorced. Even if such record is later changed, a harmful
stigma could result. Therefore, it is imperative to us that this stipulation
and order by entered today."

The divorce was vacated by the court on April 24.

(source: Orange County Weekly)

USA:

'We must recommit ourselves to end' death penalty, USCCB chairmen say

The Catholic faith tradition "offers a unique perspective on crime and
punishment, one grounded in mercy and healing, not punishment for its own
sake," two bishops said in a statement renewing the U.S. Catholic church's push
to end the death penalty.

"No matter how heinous the crime, if society can protect itself without ending
a human life, it should do so. Today, we have this capability," wrote Cardinal
Sean O'Malley of Boston and Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami.

The 2 prelates are the chairmen of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops'
Committee on Pro-Life Activities and the Committee on Domestic Justice and
Human Development, respectively.

The message, dated July 16, commemorated the 10th anniversary of the bishops'
Catholic Campaign to End the Use of the Death Penalty and their message "A
Culture of Life and the Penalty of Death," which accompanied the campaign.

The U.S. bishops, who have long advocated against capital punishment, began the
ongoing campaign in 2005.

It asks people to pray for victims of crime and their families and to reach out
to support them. It also calls for educating people about church teaching on
the death penalty and criminal justice; working for legislation to end capital
punishment; and changing the debate in favor of defending life.

In November 2005, the bishops approved the statement on the death penalty
calling on society to "reject the tragic illusion that we can demonstrate
respect for life by taking life." It built on the 1980 statement by the bishops
that called for the abolition of capital punishment.

"We urged a prudential examination of the use of the death penalty, with the
aim of helping to build 'a culture of life in which our nation will no longer
try to teach that killing is wrong by killing those who kill. This cycle of
violence diminishes all of us,'" O'Malley and Wenski said in their joint
statement.

The 2 prelates cited "significant gains" made on the issue over the past
decade.

Several states, including New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, Illinois,
Connecticut, Maryland and most recently Nebraska, have ended the use of the
death penalty, and other states have enacted a moratorium. Death sentences are
at their lowest level since the reinstatement of the death penalty in 1976.

In Kansas in February, a measure to abolish the death penalty there ultimately
failed, but the state Catholic conference praised senators for their
"impassioned and thoughtful" debate on the issue.

Even with such progress, "there is still a great deal of work to be done, and
we must recommit ourselves to end this practice in our country," O'Malley and
Wenski said.

They also noted Pope Francis' call to end use of the death penalty and said
that in light of the upcoming Year of Mercy that he declared, which is to begin
Dec. 8, "[we] renew our efforts in calling for the end of the use of the death
penalty."

"Pope Francis, like his predecessors, provides a clear and prophetic voice for
life and mercy in calling for all people of good will to work to end the use of
the death penalty," Wenski added.

"In anticipation of Pope Francis' visit to the United States in September, we
join our voices with his and continue our call for a culture of life," he said.
"As a people of life, we say it is time for the U.S. to abandon use of the
death penalty."

(source: National Catholic Reporter)

*******************

Death penalty debate rekindled by SCOTUS ruling

A Supreme Court ruling that Oklahoma's method of lethal injection does not
constitute "cruel and unusual punishment" has rekindled discussion of capital
punishment among evangelicals and the high court's 9 justices.

"I do not believe that the death penalty is inherently cruel or unusual
punishment if the governing authorities hand it down as the most extreme form
of dispensing justice and every effort has been made to ensure the guilt of the
individual," said Shane Hall, pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in
Oklahoma City. "The key for the Christian in the midst of this discussion
centers upon the power of the Gospel.

"Our desire should not be to see a continual expansion of the use of the death
penalty," Hall told Baptist Press in written comments. "Instead, we should
desire that the transformative power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ would take
such a hold upon this nation that the necessary use of the death penalty would
become less and less. We can support our governing authorities meting out
justice for the good of society, while loving our neighbors by proclaiming the
Gospel of Jesus Christ, which will transform not only the individual but also
society as a whole."

In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled June 29 that Oklahoma may use the sedative
midazolam to render inmates unconscious during the lethal injection process.
Oklahoma was unable to obtain barbiturates traditionally employed during
executions because pharmaceutical companies have become unwilling to sell them
for use in capital punishment, the New York Times reported.

Writing for the majority, Justice Samuel Alito said 3 death row inmates failed
to demonstrate that using midazolam results in a substantial risk of severe
pain. Alito also said the inmates, all of whom have been convicted of murder,
failed to identify an alternate method of execution that would be preferable.

Yet overshadowing the actual ruling, according to some media accounts, was a
debate between the court's conservative and liberal justices over whether the
death penalty is constitutional. In a 46-page dissent, Justice Stephen Breyer
said he believes capital punishment likely violates the Eighth Amendment's ban
of "cruel and unusual punishments." Justice Antonin Scalia responded that the
death penalty cannot be unconstitutional because the Constitution mentions it
explicitly.

In an opinion joined by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Breyer wrote, "Today's
administration of the death penalty involves three fundamental constitutional
defects: (1) serious unreliability, (2) arbitrariness in application, and (3)
unconscionably long delays that undermine the death penalty's penological
purpose. Perhaps as a result, (4) most places within the United States have
abandoned its use."

Changes in capital punishment over the past 40 years, Breyer wrote, "taken
together with my own 20 years of experience on this Court ... lead me to
believe that the death penalty, in and of itself, now likely constitutes a
legally prohibited 'cruel and unusual punishmen[t].'"

Scalia, joined in a concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas, responded,
"Not once in the history of the American Republic has this Court ever suggested
the death penalty is categorically impermissible. The reason is obvious: It is
impossible to hold unconstitutional that which the Constitution explicitly
contemplates. The Fifth Amendment provides that '[n]o person shall be held to
answer for a capital ... crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a
Grand Jury,' and that no person shall be 'deprived of life ... without due
process of law.' Nevertheless, today Justice Breyer takes on the role of the
abolitionists in this long-running drama, arguing that the text of the
Constitution and two centuries of history must yield to his '20 years of
experience on this Court.'"

Scalia also argued it is "very likely" that the death penalty deters crime and
appealed to philosophers who believed "that death is the only just punishment
for taking a life."

R. Albert Mohler Jr., president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, noted
the debate among the justices and said the death penalty's background is
"deeply rooted in a biblical worldview," citing Genesis 9.

"Once again, as so many times this term and in recent years, you have on the
court two different ways of reading the Constitution," Mohler said June 30 on
his podcast "The Briefing," "one reading it as a text and one instead reading
[it] as a so-called living document that evolves along with the society. We can
count on the fact that in fairly short order, it is likely that the Supreme
Court will deal more comprehensively with the question of the death penalty."

The Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified in 1791 against a
backdrop of torturous capital punishment inflicted in the western world, as
when Elizabeth I's physician was convicted of plotting to kill her, then
hanged, cut down alive, mutilated and chopped into four pieces. That episode
and other incidents of horrific capital punishment are detailed in Leonard
Parry's "The History of Torture in England."

While Christians, with some notable exceptions, historically have supported
capital punishment, Rick Durst, professor of historical theology at Golden Gate
Baptist Theological Seminary, told BP that believers also have "spoken against
cruel and unusual incidences" of it "since the publication of the Gospels and
crucifixion of the Lord on the cross, and the centuries of malevolent
persecution and execution of Christians of both genders and all ages."

"In the fourth century, Eusebius of Caesarea carefully recorded the infliction
of cruel and unusual punishment on Christians throughout the Roman empire under
various emperors," Durst said in written comments. "In 390, the order of the
Christian emperor Theodosius I to suppress and revenge a rebellion in
Thessaloniki, Greece, resulted in the deaths of as many as 7,000 persons. The
Bishop of Milan, Ambrose, refused to serve communion to the emperor because of
those executions. Ambrose received the emperor back into communion only after
Theodosius promised to introduce legislation requiring a 30-day lag before
execution in the case of death sentences."

Englishman John Fox's book of martyrs in the 16th century and Dutch Anabaptist
Thieleman van Braght's "The Martyrs Mirror" in the 17th century likewise
protested the unjust use of capital punishment, Durst said.

Among Baptists, Roger Williams, founder of First Baptist Church in Providence,
R.I., published two works "detailing the cruel punishments of the colonial
governments, regularly inflicted against non-conforming Baptists and others in
the new colonies," Durst said.

A 2000 Southern Baptist Convention resolution supported "the fair and equitable
use of capital punishment by civil magistrates as a legitimate form of
punishment for those guilty of murder or treasonous acts that result in death."

In Oklahoma, Hall of First Southern Baptist stands in the Christian tradition
of supporting capital punishment as long as it is applied justly.

Regarding Oklahoma's lethal injection procedure, Hall said, "Assuming the new
drug now in use is able to bring about the same effect as the drug previously
used, it is not 'cruel and unusual.'"

(source: Baptist Press)