Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Jul 13 12:55:57 CDT 2015

July 13

THAILAND:

Thailand's Junta Adds Death Penalty to Anti Corruption Law----Between 1934 and
1977, a total of 213 prisoners were executed by gun

Under the new law published in the Royal Gazette on Sunday, officials of both
Thailand and foreign countries who have demanded or accepted bribes may now
face the death penalty .

The law - the No. 3 amendment to the 1999 anti-corruption law - applies to
officials of Thailand, foreign states or international organizations.

Section 123/2 increases the punishments on officials who have demanded,
accepted or agreed to accept assets or other benefits for themselves or others
in order to do or refrain from doing anything in office, whether it is
legitimate not.

They will now be punished with imprisonment from 5 to 20 years, life in prison,
a fine from 100,000 to 400,000 baht, or death.

Section 123/3 provides anyone who has done or refrained from doing anything in
office for assets or other benefits he has demanded, accepted or agreed to
accept before assuming that position shall face a jail term from 5 to 20 years,
life in prison or a fine of 100,000 to 400,000 baht, but not death.

(source: Chiangrai Times)

NIGERIA:

Governor Oshiomhole Advocates Stiffer Penalties Against Rape, Child Abuse

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has advocated stiffer penalties against
rapists, paedophiles and anyone involved in child abuse to serve as deterrence
to others.

He also urged the people of the state to stop giving alms to child beggars to
discourage the rising trend of child beggars in the state.

Addressing the Chairman and members of the International Federation of Women
Lawyers (FIDA) in the state, led by Mrs. Stella Ojemen, who paid him a courtesy
visit at the Government House, at the weekend, Oshiomhole said: "Edo State
Government appreciates that you are addressing some of the challenges that
government ought to have addressed like ensuring that we all mount campaigns
against rape and defilement as well as ensure that when people have carried out
these heinous crimes, that they are properly arrested and diligently prosecuted
with a view to sending them to prison.

"We have discussed this time and again at our Executive Council Meetings and at
a point, we asked the Attorney-General to review the laws such that the number
of years a convict gets will commensurate with the severe nature of rape and
defilement".

Oshiomhole continued: "We are concerned, we have discussed this and we have a
feeling that the number of reported cases are on the increase. We also know
that because of the nature of our environment, there will be several others
that may not even be reported at all.

"When you look at the sheer number of rape cases that are recorded, it is clear
that across the country, both rape and defilement cases are increasing and
therefore this calls for tougher measures on the part of those strengthening
the law and providing for stiffer and harsher punishments than what is
currently obtained but also ensure that the few cases that are reported are
properly prosecuted with a view to securing conviction.

"Consistent with our commitment in this area, I would advise that whenever you
have such cases, when you are likely to have much more information than even
the Ministry of Justice or Police, and there might be cases where efforts are
made to cover up cases reported in some quarters, you are an non-governmental
organisation (NGO) and might wish to open up such cases. So I will advise you
to liaise effectively with the Attorney-General and also encourage the Local
Government chapters to ensure that all cases are reported."

The governor however noted that the state has recorded a high level of victory
in the fight against kidnapping and reaffirmed his commitment to ensuring that
kidnappers are completely put out of business in the state.

He said: "I appreciate the issues you raised about kidnapping and the peculiar
challenges that female victims suffer but we are dealing with it globally and
we have recorded a lot of achievements. We have presently up to 50 cases of
kidnappers that have been arrested and so the era of impunity where the state
appears helpless is over.

"The unfortunate thing though is that as we apprehend we still have more young
people going into the business. We will sustain our effort at arresting and
ensuring prosecution. We have amended the law to provide for death penalty for
proven cases of kidnapping and also to demolish the houses of the kidnappers or
any premises used for kidnapping because we feel that landlords are liable,
they are supposed to verify the character and status of their tenants. These
are some of the measures we have taken to ensure that we make the state a lot
safer for our people."

The governor called on the people of the state to join hands with government
and other non-governmental organisations to ensure that incidents of child
labour and street begging are completely wiped out of the state, adding that
Edo people are not lazy and will never succumb to begging as an alternative to
hard work.

He said, "on the issue of child labour, I am disturbed at the growing numbers
of beggars and their children that I see along the streets and a lot of these
people are people who have migrated to Edo these past few months and unless we
take firm measures, Edo may become a haven for beggars that have been thrown
out of their own states of origin where begging has been prohibited. I have
directed the Commissioner for Women Affair to take firm measures to bring this
incidence to an end.

"Edo cannot be a haven for beggars. We recognise the economic challenges, but
begging is not and will not be the solution and exposing children to begging is
unhealthy and I will even appeal to Edo people not to give alms to child
beggars because it doesn't help because women and their fathers push this
children to the street, they use them in the manner they do hoping they will
attract pity.

The more pity we show to those kids, the more they are subjected to these
dehumanising practices. This is not a thing to be encouraged."

Earlier, Chairperson of International Federation of Women Lawyers, Edo State
branch, Mrs. Stella Ojemen said they were in Government House to promote the
rights of women and children.

She said, "We are not profit making and not a religious organisation,
non-political. Our duties are simple: to ensure that women and children who are
confronted with all kinds of issues are protected. We are disturbed by the
incidence of child labour and trafficking of women in the state and with the
plight of widows who are being disturbed by the families of the husband.

"We are also worried by the incidence of female gender mutilation. We are also
worried about the maltreatment of women and children in crisis zones and we are
really disturbed by all of these issues."

(source: This Day)

MALAYSIA:

Cabbie escapes the gallows

A taxi driver escaped the gallows after the High Court here, today, acquitted
and freed him from the charge of abetting an armed robbery and allegedly
helping gun down a man, 3 years ago.

Judge Datuk Mohd Azman Husin made the decision after the prosecution failed to
establish a prima facie case against Lim Chee Kim, 50, who was accused of
abetting Lim Long Chuan, 56, to fatally shoot Mohd Rahmat Jul, 34, using a
Smith & Wesson 32S during a robbery at an Internet Cafe, No 41, Jalan 1/32,
Taman Jinjang Baru, Jinjang Selatan, Sentul, here at 6.30am on Aug 27, 2012.

He was charged under Section 3A of the Firearms (Increased Penalties) Act 1971
read together with Section 34 of the Penal Code which carries a death penalty
upon conviction.

On May 16, Long Chuan pleaded guilty to using the Smith & Wesson to fire at
Rahmat and was sentenced to death by the same court.

Deputy public prosecutor Aznika Mohd Anas prosecuted while counsel Shavin Nair
represented the accused.

(source: themalaymailonline.com)