[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----OKLA., KAN., NEB., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Aug 16 15:35:32 CDT 2015

Aug. 16

OKLAHOMA:

Death penalty is crown jewel of retributive justice system

Crown jewel

Regarding "Pending execution drawing concern from out of state" (Our Views,
Aug. 11): I'm an ordained minister of a Disciples of Christ congregation in
Edmond and a practicing attorney. I also am a member of the board of the
Oklahoma Coalition Against the Death Penalty. I object to the death penalty on
moral and pragmatic grounds. The death penalty is the crown jewel of the
retributive justice system. The Sermon on the Mount, which should have more
authority for Christians than the Ten Commandments, does away with an eye for
an eye. Violence begets violence. The fundamental purpose of the death penalty
is retribution. Life without the possibility of parole also is retributive.

People who commit violent crimes should be separated from society but they
shouldn't be executed. They should be released when they no longer present a
threat of violence to the community. In addition, retribution is ineffective in
changing behavior. Restorative justice is a more effective approach. The courts
have interpreted the Bill of Rights as establishing the principle that it's so
important to keep the government from wrongfully using its power of coercion
that it's better to let a guilty person go if the government overreached. The
government overreaches when it provides inadequately paid public defenders as
counsel for criminal defendants. The governor should stay Richard Glossip's
execution so the Supreme Court can hear an appeal on the constitutionality of
the death penalty.

Don Heath, Edmond

(source: Letter to the Editor, Oklahoman)

***********************

Galesburg native scheduled for execution Sept. 16 grasps for hope

If the state of Oklahoma gets its way, Richard Glossip has 1 month to live.

The Galesburg native is scheduled for execution on Sept. 16 for the murder of
Oklahoma City motel owner Barry Van Treese. One of the many problems with the
case, however, is the proven fact that Glossip didn't do it.

Death penalty opponent Sister Helen Prejean, Glossip's spiritual advisor and
author of "Dead Man Walking," has repeatedly defended the death row inmate.
Susan Sarandon, who played Prejean in the movie adaption of "Dead Man Walking,"
called Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin a "horrible person" for allowing Glossip's
execution to continue.

In court, motel maintenance man Justin Sneed admitted to entering room 102 of
the Oklahoma City Best Budget Inn during the morning hours of Jan. 7, 1997, and
bludgeoning Van Treese to death with a baseball bat.

While in police custody, Sneed implicated Glossip, who worked at the motel
under Van Treese, by insisting the murder was a paid hit. Sneed said Glossip
offered to pay $10,000 for the killing - an amount that changed several times
depending on the testimony.

Ultimately, it was the word of Sneed that landed Glossip on death row. For his
testimony, Sneed was sentenced to life in prison and Glossip is days away from
death.

"They're gonna try to kill me," Glossip told The Register-Mail from the
Oklahoma Department of Corrections, "and they may succeed."

The death row inmate was born at Galesburg Cottage Hospital in 1963 to Heron
and Sally Glossip. By the time he moved out of his parents' home at the age of
14, Richard was 1 of 16 siblings in the Glossip home.

2 years later, he married Jackie Hodge and had 2 children in Galesburg. He went
on to marry Missy King and have 2 more children before leaving Illinois and
traveling from Iowa to Nebraska and finally ending up in Oklahoma.

It's no surprise he still has relatives in town. Before he left Galesburg about
24 years ago, Glossip managed a downtown Dominos.

"I remember everything about Galesburg, it was my home," Glossip said. "I could
drive that town blindfolded."

He was surprised to hear about the Main and Seminary-Kellogg street overpasses,
remarking on how that would have made pizza deliveries easier.

At times, his hometown almost seemed to be taunting him. Shortly after Glossip
was incarcerated in Oklahoma, he was browsing through a catalog on what he
could do for a hobby craft. The craft supplies were distributed from Dick Blick
Art Materials in Galesburg.

"Everyone down here in the prison was ordering from my hometown," Glossip said
jovially.

His nieces Amanda and Felicia Glossip, both living in Galesburg, have expressed
their belief that their "uncle Ricky" is innocent. In an interview last month,
Felicia Glossip told The Register-Mail that continual setbacks had her losing
hope.

Glossip's trial began in 1997 and resulted in a conviction in 1998. That trial
was thrown out due to incompetence on the part of Glossip's public defender.
His 2nd trial, held in 2004, ended the same way.

Glossip was quick to point out neither instance made use of the video evidence
suggesting officers had encouraged Sneed to implicate Glossip, uncovered by Sky
News. He also described a clemency letter written by Sneed's daughter, O'Ryan
Justine Sneed, which painted Glossip as "an innocent man sitting on death row."

"For a couple of years now, my father has been talking to me about recanting
his original testimony," the letter read, "but has been afraid to act upon it,
in fear of being charged with the death penalty and not be here for his
children."

The letter further stated Sneed told police what he had to in order to avoid
being on death row, feeling "backed into a corner"

"I am sure that Mr. Glossip did not do what my father originally said, that he
did not hire my father to kill Mr. Van Treese, and he doesn't deserve to die
over my father's actions," the letter continued, concluding with the words: "1
innocent life has already been taken by my father's actions. A 2nd one doesn't
deserve to be taken as well."

The letter, which was uncovered long after both trials, was not considered as
evidence.

Hope at last showed itself in January when the United States Supreme Court
stayed Glossip's execution 1 day ahead of his scheduled death date. The
postponement allowed justices to review details around last April's botched
lethal injection of Oklahoma inmate Clayton Lockett.

Lockett, convicted of murder rape and kidnapping in 2000, was administered a
3-part execution cocktail that included the controversial drug midazolam. He
writhed for more than 40 minutes before the execution was aborted and Lockett
died of a heart attack.

On June 29, the Supreme Court held in a 5-4 decision that midazolam did not
violate inmates' rights prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment. Glossip's
execution was back on.

"I try not to let it bother me," Glossip said. "The one thing about it is, no
matter what they use, no matter what method they use, the fact is they're gonna
kill an innocent man. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some concern
about what happened to Lockett, because I do. I just hope it doesn't come to
that."

He hasn't given up. Glossip encourages people to visit richardeglossip.com to
learn more about his story and follow Prejean's Facebook page for updates.
Petitions to save Glossip's life have nearly 150,000 supporters across
change.org and moveon.org.

"Innocent people are dying in this country," Glossip said. "Even if I have to
be executed, I want my death to mean something. I want it to stop this from
happening to anybody else."

(source: Register-Mail)

************************

Foes of death penalty continue to advocate for Glossip's life

This week, Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin said the execution of Richard Glossip,
convicted in the 'murder-for-hire' killing of Barry Van Treese in 1997, should
go forward.

Responding to the governor's statement, leaders of the Oklahoma Coalition to
Abolish the Death Penalty (OK-CADP) have renewed their pleas for Glossip's
life. His execution has been scheduled for September 16.

Connie Johnson, OK-CADP chair said, "I am shocked and disappointed that the
governor of Oklahoma is unwilling to even consider that we may have Richard
Glossip's execution wrong. It is disheartening that neither she nor the Pardon
& Parole Board is willing to be educated specifically about what's wrong. Gov.
Mary Fallin's seemingly boastful statement proclaiming that 'Richard Glossip
was sentenced to death by 2 juries and should therefore be held accountable and
executed for his crimes' dismisses recent reports about the 150 exonerations in
cases where a jury determined guilt.

"If there is any accountability to be had, there's certainly enough to go
around. Citizens must hold the state of Oklahoma accountable before we murder a
man who is possibly innocent. The question that begs an answer is, "Can the
state reverse a mistake?" Or will we just cavalierly say, 'Oh well.'

"Justin Sneed's actions, that resulted in the brutal murder of Barry Van
Treese, a husband and a father of 7 children, will now lead to the state's
brutal murder of Richard Glossip, another husband and father. Sneed's own
daughter wrote that he bargained with the police and lied on Richard Glossip in
order to avoid the death penalty himself.

The Governor's version of the incidents that led to Barry Van Treese's murder
simply restates faulty information that convicted Richard Glossip in the first
place. Advocates are asking the Governor and the Pardon and Parole Board for
both a procedural and factual review of the case. ...

"The governor of Oklahoma may not have the authority to grant any inmate
clemency without a recommendation from the Pardon and Parole Board but, in the
case of Richard Glossip, she does have an opportunity to ensure mercy and
compassion by not causing the state of Oklahoma to kill an innocent man."

OK-CADP spokesperson Rev. Adam Leathers said, "We at the Oklahoma Coalition to
Abolish the Death Penalty are saddened at Governor Fallin's recent press
release. ... Even for those who affirm the death penalty, Mr. Glossip's case
should cause great concern to the citizens of Oklahoma.

"We hope and pray that the Spirit will move within her heart and she will
reconsider. More importantly, we ask the people of Oklahoma this: If one
person, who had his life to gain from it, claimed you committed a crime and
because of that claim, you were facing your own death in a little over a month
from now ... what would you expect from your government? 60 days is a small
price to pay to avoid killing an innocent man."

Legal team member Don Knight said, "We are disappointed by Governor Fallin's
premature statement released to the press ... that she will not consider
granting a stay of Mr. Glossip's execution that is currently scheduled for
September 16.

"It is indisputable, even by the governor's office, that the only evidence
against Mr. Glossip was the testimony of Justin Sneed, who admitted to killing
Mr. Van Treese, lied about it to police when he was questioned, and gave his
testimony only to save himself from the death penalty.

"The 2 trials in this case proved only that this case is rife with factual
problems. No one should be put to death based only upon the word of a convicted
murderer. We implore those who know about the case, or who know Mr. Sneed, to
come forward and help us with the information that we need to file a new
petition.

"If you have any such information, please call Don Knight at 303-797-1645. It
is our hope that Governor Fallin will reconsider and agree to meet with us
prior to the date of the scheduled execution.

"No one wants an innocent man to be executed. We will continue to do all we can
to stop this terrible miscarriage of Justice."

(source: city-sentinel.com)

KANSAS:

Murder trial to begin in Kansas Jewish site shootings

A capital murder trial will begin this week for a Missouri man who claims he
was morally obligated to kill 3 people last year outside 2 suburban Kansas City
Jewish sites.

Frazier Glenn Miller Jr., a 74-year-old avowed white supremacist, has publicly
acknowledged firing the shots that killed 69-year-old William Corporon; his
14-year-old grandson, Reat Griffin Underwood; and 53-year-old Terri LaManno on
April 13, 2014, in Johnson County, Kansas. He said he was trying to target
Jewish people; he didn't know none of the victims was Jewish.

Attorneys expect jury selection, which starts Monday, to take a week and the
rest of the trial to last 3 to 4 weeks, court administrator Katherine Stocks
said.

Already, the pre-trial hearings for the 74-year-old have been eventful, with a
judge warning that Miller's frequent outbursts could result in a mistrial if
they happen in front of jurors.

Facing a possible death sentence, Miller fired his three court-appointed
attorneys in May because he said he didn't trust them and wanted to speak for
himself. Johnson County Judge Thomas Kelly Ryan allowed it, but ordered those
lawyers to be stand-by counsel in case Miller is removed from the courtroom.
During several lengthy hearings since, Miller has interrupted the judge and
made disparaging comments about the court or prosecutors.

The judge also rejected Miller's "compelling necessity" defense, in which the
Aurora, Missouri, man planned to argue that Jewish people were taking over the
country and it was his moral duty to stop it.

Ryan compared that to a defense put forth by Scott Roeder, an anti-abortion
activist who is serving a life prison sentence for killing abortion provider
George Tiller at a Wichita, Kansas, church in May 2009. Roeder's attorneys
argued that he felt it was necessary to kill Tiller in order to save unborn
babies, an argument the Kansas Supreme Court rejected late last year.

Also, Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe twice turned down offers from
Miller to plead guilty to 1st-degree murder if the death penalty were taken off
the table. Howe is under a gag order and declined to say why he didn't accept
Miller's plea deal in a state that hasn't executed anyone in 50 years.

Miller, who has chronic emphysema, has told The Associated Press and said in
court that he isn't afraid of the death penalty and wanted to plead guilty to
avoid a lengthy trial - as long as he got a chance to state in court why he
killed the 3 victims.

(source: thenewstribune.com)

NEBRASKA:

Governor Pete Ricketts on Death Penalty

The death penalty was repealed back in may, but ever since then Governor
Ricketts has been pushing to get a citizen vote for the death penalty. A
petition is going around to put the issue on the ballet so that Nebraskans can
decide to bring back the death penalty or keep it away. Governor Ricketts says
it's not about wanting to kill people, it's about trying to protect others.

"We need to make sure that we've got the right policy in place to be able to
protect ourselves and to be able to protect law enforcement." Ricketts said.
"Just think about our corrections officers going to our prisons every day and
deal with dangerous criminals. We need a sanction beyond just life in prison to
be able to make sure we keep them safe."

After the governor spoke with the Republicans he put his signature on the
petition for the death penalty himself.

(source: KNOP news)

USA:

Arguments against death penalty

Last week, we reviewed the leading arguments in favor of the death penalty.
This week, let's shift gears and explore the leading arguments against capital
punishment, as presented on the website ProCon.org.

The leading moral question should not be whether people convicted of violent
crimes deserve to be killed. Rather, the question is whether federal and state
governments of civilized societies deserve to have the authority to kill a
convicted person. The sixth commandment says "thou shall not kill." The
commandment doesn't come with any exceptions. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

The death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment in and of itself and
therefore violates the Eighth Amendment's prohibition against cruel and unusual
punishment. As Supreme Court Justice William J. Brennan wrote in his 1976
dissenting opinion in Gregg v. Georgia, "Death is ... an unusually severe
punishment, unusual in its pain, in its finality, and in it enormity. ... The
fatal constitutional infirmity in the punishment of death is that it treats
members of the human race as nonhumans, as objects to be toyed with and
discarded."

There is no credible evidence that the threat of capital punishment deters
serious criminal behavior more than does the threat of a life sentence without
parole. In fact, social science has thoroughly undermined this theory.

Just look at the facts. States that have the death penalty do not have
significantly lower serious crime or murder rates. Also, those states that have
abolished the death penalty show no significant increase in serious crime or
murders.

Retribution is simply another form of revenge and is unacceptable. The desire
for revenge is one of the lowest human emotions. Although the desire to seek
revenge is understandable under some circumstances, killing the criminal is not
a rational response to the situation.

Killing the killer simply continues the cycle of violence and ultimately
destroys the avenger and the offender. Violence leads to more violence. It
contaminates and undermines good will, an essential quality to human progress
and understanding.

Our criminal justice system is seriously flawed and too many people have been
wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death. In fact, since 1976, over 150
people have been freed from death row because they were later proven innocent.
That equates to 1 innocent person for every 7 people who are executed.

In 2000, Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold stated "It is a central pillar of our
criminal justice system that it is better that many guilty people go free than
one innocent should suffer. ... Let us pause to be certain we do not kill a
single innocent person. This is really not too much to ask for a civilized
society."

If for no other reason, capital punishment should be abolished because it is
not cost-effective. For the following reasons, the death penalty is up to 6
times more expensive to administer than is a life sentence without the
possibility of parole for the following reasons: 1st, pursuing a death sentence
involves more pre-trial time than other trials. 2nd, if a person is convicted
of a capital crime, a 2nd trial is needed to determine if the death penalty is
appropriate. 3rd, because there are 2 trials, more attorneys are involved. 4th,
more experts will be required - 1 for the regular trial and 1 for the penalty
phase. 5th, many defendants sit on death row for years while they pursue their
appeals. The higher security required for their incarceration means greater
housing expense.

The current method of administering the death penalty is biased against
minorities. Although African Americans make up 13 % of the nation's population,
nearly 50 % of those on death row are African Americans. These statistics
clearly indicate that the American justice system is seriously flawed and no
further death sentences at either the state or federal level should be
permitted unless and until the racial bias in our legal system is eliminated.

The American justice system unfairly discriminates against the poor. A poor
person is much more likely to receive a death sentence than a wealthy person.
In addition, rich defendants can hire the best attorneys while poor defendants
must rely on court-appointed attorneys who frequently aren't adequately
trained. There can't be equal justice under the law when there is such great
disparity in the legal treatment, and the quality of representation, between
the poor and the rich.

Next week, we''ll conclude this series on capital punishment with a close look
at Guam's unique experiences with the death penalty.

(source: Bill Pesch is a family law attorney with the Guam Family Law Office in
Hagatna----Pacific Daily News)

****************

There's no evidence that death penalty is a deterrent against crime

Capital punishment is such a costly, controversial, and divisive issue that,
unless it succeeds in saving lives, it clearly should be abolished - as it
already has been in the European Union and in 101 countries around the world
But does the death penalty save lives? Let's consider the relevant factors and
the evidence.

Some feel the question of whether the death penalty deters can be argued as a
matter of theory: capital punishment is worse than other penalties therefore it
must lead to fewer killings. This contention misses much of the complexity of
the modern death penalty.

1st, theory can't tell us whether the spectacle of state-sanctioned killings
operates to unhinge marginal minds into thinking that their own grievances
merit similar forms of retribution that they then try to inflict on their own.
Even if some other criminals were deterred by the death penalty, one must ask
whether these avoided crimes would be more than offset by the possible
brutalisation effect.

2nd, operating a death penalty regime - at least in the United States - has
been incredibly costly, as each case resulting in a death sentence will spend
years in various types of legal appeals, eating up the valuable time of judges,
prosecutors, and defence lawyers, overwhelmingly at government expense.

The best research on the issue suggests that life imprisonment is a less costly
penalty, since locking someone up is far less expensive than both locking them
up and paying a team of lawyers for many years - often decades - to debate
whether a sentence of death should be imposed. In California, for example,
execution is only the 3rd leading cause of death for those on death row (behind
old age and suicide).

Some might contend that the lengthy appeals are a needless burden that should
be jettisoned so that the penalty is administered more cheaply and quickly, but
the large number of exonerations of those on death row (155 including 21 by DNA
evidence at last count) underscores the danger of any effort to short circuit
the judicial process. Killing a few innocent defendants is an unavoidable
consequence of having a capital regime - so unless there is some clear evidence
of deterrence, it is hard to argue positively for the death penalty.

Lack of evidence

So what is the evidence on deterrence? Here the answer is clear: there is not
the slightest credible statistical evidence that capital punishment reduces the
rate of homicide. Whether one compares the similar movements of homicide in
Canada and the US when only the latter restored the death penalty, or in
American states that have abolished it versus those that retain it, or in Hong
Kong and Singapore (the 1st abolishing the death penalty in the mid-1990s and
the 2nd greatly increasing its usage at the same), there is no detectable
effect of capital punishment on crime. The best econometric studies reach the
same conclusion.

A number of studies - all of which, unfortunately, are only available via
subscripton - purported to find deterrent effects but all of these studies
collapse after errors in coding, measuring statistical significance, or in
establishing causal relationships are corrected. A panel of the National
Academy of Sciences addressed the deterrence question directly in 2012 and
unanimously concluded that there was no credible evidence that the death
penalty deters homicides.

The report went on to say that the issue of deterrence should be removed from
any discussion of the death penalty given this lack of credible evidence. But
if the deterrence argument disappears, so does the case for the death penalty.

Those familiar with criminal justice issues are not surprised by the lack of
deterrence. To get the death penalty in the United States one has to commit an
extraordinarily heinous crime, as evidenced by the fact that last year roughly
14,000 murders were committed but only 35 executions took place.

Since murderers typically expose themselves to far greater immediate risks, the
likelihood is incredibly remote that some small chance of execution many years
after committing a crime will influence the behaviour of a sociopathic deviant
who would otherwise be willing to kill if his only penalty were life
imprisonment.

Any criminal who actually thought he would be caught would find the prospect of
life without parole to be a monumental penalty. Any criminal who didn't think
he would be caught would be untroubled by any sanction.

Wasted resources

A better way to address the problem of homicide is to take the resources that
would otherwise be wasted in operating a death penalty regime and use them on
strategies that are known to reduce crime, such as hiring and properly training
police officers and solving crimes.

Over the past 3 decades there has been a downward trend in the number of
murders that lead to arrest and conviction to the point that only about half of
all murders are now punished. The graphic below shows the steady decline in the
number of homicides cleared by arrest in Connecticut, which mimics the national
trend. Of course, even if there is an arrest, there may not be a conviction so
the percentage of killers who are punished is smaller than this figure
suggests.

Far better for both justice and deterrence if the resources saved by scrapping
the death penalty could be used to increase the chance that killers would be
caught and punished - and taken off the streets.

To give a sense of the burden of capital punishment, note that over the past 35
years the state of California spent roughly $4 billion to execute 13
individuals. The $4 billion would have been enough to hire roughly 80,000
police officers who, if appropriately assigned, would be expected to prevent
466 murders (and much other crime) in California - far more than any of the
most optimistic (albeit discredited) views of the possible benefits of capital
punishment.

In other words, since the death penalty is a costly and inefficient system, its
use will waste resources that could be expended on crime-fighting measures that
are known to be effective. It is not surprising that last summer a federal
judge ruled that California's capital regime is unconstitutional on the grounds
that it serves no legitimate penological interest.

The sharp decline in executions in the US from the peak of 98 in 1999 down to
35 last year (with death sentences falling from a 1996 peak of 315 to 73),
coupled with the steady pace of states abolishing the death penalty over the
past eight years (including conservative Nebraska in May) shows that "smart on
crime" entails shunning capital punishment.

With zero evidence that the death penalty provides any tangible benefits and
very clear indications of its monetary, human, and social costs, this is one
programme about which there can be little debate that its costs undeniably
outweigh any possible benefits.

(source: John Donohue, C Wendell and Edith M Carlsmith Professor of Law at
Stanford University---- Businesstech.co.za)